General Discussion Triathlon Talk » doing dual training for the first time advice please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-06-10 8:17 AM

Subject: doing dual training for the first time advice please
Hi all you fit and motivated people!
Im signed up for an olympic tri in 6 weeks - first timer. My base line fitness is ok ( for age which is 58 ) and Im pleased with my individual stand alone times for the full distances.
Im now needing to do bike to run etc and would love to know how people have built this up. For example is it better to do small cycle small run .. or full cycle distance with increasing run attachments... and should I be doing triple training ?
I guess maybe its personal preferences but comments would be really helpful. All I know is that a run after my long cycles seems like sheer torture at the moment! Thanks
Jude

2019-06-10 10:17 AM
in reply to: #5259692

User image

Subject: RE: doing dual training for the first time advice please
Welcome to the craziness, Jude!

I typically will swim in the morning and do a ride or run in the evening or afternoon during a training plan during the week.

On the weekends, I typically do a long ride on Saturday morning followed by a short run off the bike (this is called a brick session). When training for a 70.3 I may ride 2:30 hours followed by a 20 minute run.

I would try and look up a program and see what it looks like for 6 weeks out from an Olympic distance. I think beginner triathlete has some Olympic distance plans you can consult.

Good luck!
2019-06-10 10:52 AM
in reply to: Judymella

User image

Denver, Colorado
I don't think there is a need to do all 3 sports in one day.

For brick workout (bike+run), I was given an advice here, I believe by Karen, aka HotRunner, to run approx. 20-30 minutes after the bike. And this should be enough to train the legs on how they will feel after the bike.
2019-06-10 10:57 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Did I hear my name??

In general, yes, unless you are training for a half full Ironman (and even then, much of the time), you would want to limit "brick" workouts (where you bike, then run immediately after) to 1-2X a week, and the run can be as short as 15 minutes, no longer than 30. The goal is really just to get used to the feeling of running after being on the bike. With practice, most people can get into a comfortable running rhythm a bit faster than if they had not practiced that transition.

For most of your workouts, you want to focus on gradually building endurance with running, biking, and swimming. Most people rarely do all three sports in one day in training, and on days that you might do two different sports, there is no need to do the workouts back to back unless your schedule requires that. When I have double workouts, typically I do one in the morning before work, and one later, between work and dinner. I'm guessing that's probably true for most people who are working or have kids to get off to school, etc.
2019-06-10 11:07 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Did I hear my name??

In general, yes, unless you are training for a half full Ironman (and even then, much of the time), you would want to limit "brick" workouts (where you bike, then run immediately after) to 1-2X a week, and the run can be as short as 15 minutes, no longer than 30. The goal is really just to get used to the feeling of running after being on the bike. With practice, most people can get into a comfortable running rhythm a bit faster than if they had not practiced that transition.

Yup, this is exactly what you said few years ago on this subject
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » doing dual training for the first time advice please Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ok over 50 with big goals advice please

Started by CBarnes
Views: 870 Posts: 13

2019-06-15 7:26 AM nickster

First time Training Plan Help needed...

Started by rotipom
Views: 828 Posts: 9

2019-05-07 9:21 AM TriJayhawkRyan

Body Builder - First time Triathlon

Started by allied784
Views: 819 Posts: 7