World Triathlon Corporation
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 11m 47s
Overall Rank = 1069/2174
Age Group = F65-69
Age Group Rank = 2/13
Pre-race routine:

Linda and I stayed at the Days Inn in Easton. It was a convenient location but not the nicest of places. We got up at 3:00 and were out by 3:56. We arrived and found a good parking spot on Talbot by 4:18.

As luck would have it, the two people on the rack next to me did not show up. Linda also had someone next to her not show up. We both needed the extra space for our bins.

We spent so much time worrying about the weather the day before. Luckily, it wasn't raining as we set up and then prepared for the swim. I had my usual Power Bar in transition. They had announced that the water was 75.2 and wetsuit legal so we suited up. About 6:20, as we were sitting on the grass by the spot that would soon be the swim line, they announced that the swim was cancelled because of the small craft warning. I immediately realized that my advantage was now gone. I couldn't believe how relaxed I became. I never realized how the swim caused so much anxiety. I felt like the race just got so much easier. Linda was ecstatic. She was worried about getting motion sickness in the water.

We ended up having an extra hour to kill. They announced a time trail start by bib number. I had a fairly low number because of my AWA status. The race started about 7:45.

Swim
  • 00m
  • 2112 yards
  • / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 2h 59m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.72 mile/hr
Comments:

I went off at 7:54:21. it was a rolling start. We were told to clip one foot in and then scoot to the line. It made for a nice start. I wore my glasses since it wasn't raining yet.

I developed a headache early on in the race. This has never happened to me before. I had a headache once toward the end of the run in Oceanside. I kept trying to figure out what it could be and then I reached up and loosened my helmet. The headache was gone immediately!

At about 15 miles, it started to rain lightly. By 20 miles, it was really coming down and I took off my glasses. I put them in the back of my shorts. I was glad that I had a lot experience racing in the rain since it rain for the AC70.3 and the VA70.3. This rain storm seemed a little worse though. That was probably because of the 25 mph winds. They seemed to be coming from every direction.

I had to pee so bad and was contemplating stopping at the 45 mile rest stop. But at the last minute, I changed my mind. I was so happy that I didn't stop because I surely would've dropped my glasses in the porta pottie. I had completely forgotten they were in my pants.

Consumed on the bike: 1 pack Clif Bloks, 1 chocolate Power Bar and 1 GU. I did not use any BASE salts this time. It wasn't very hot out. I also had 2 of my own Gatorade bottles. I picked up two waters along the way.
What would you do differently?:

Remember that my tri shorts chafe. Maybe put on chamois cream before the race starts.

Transition 2
  • 07m 1s
Comments:

I stopped at the porta pottie, which was conveniently located right at the entrance to the transition area. After that, I really globbed Vaseline on my toes, put socks on, grabbed my visor, race number (which I really should've worn on the bike and tucked into the back of my shorts), and put two Gus into my pockets. I had the mustard, Base salt and Aquaphor in my spy belt.

Wear my race number on the bike. I wasted time fumbling in transition.

Run
  • 2h 05m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like I was able to run pretty good this year. The cooler temps and off and on light rain really helped. There was wind, but it didn't bother me that much.

I didn't use any BASE salt, or mustard. I was not cramping for the first time EVER in a 70.3. At each aid station, I took 1 Gatorade and 1 water. I didn't use any ice. I never ate pretzels.

I kept passing people (I think I counted about 60). I did notice that I don't go through the aid stations very quickly. I people around me seem to go through faster and then I have to catch up to them.

Figure out how to go through aid stations faster.

Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the line and went right to transition. I changed into my dry clothes and put a raincoat on. I grabbed my phone and put it in a plastic bag. I was able to see how I placed using the Ironman App. I grabbed some food (nice boxed lunches this year) and found a spot on the picnic table right in front of a big screen showing the finish line. The girl next to me looked up Linda's position for me and told me that she'd be finishing at 2:22.

I watched the big screen and saw Linda finish. I was able to go right over to her afterwards. So convenient!

I went back for a second boxed lunch. They had cookies in them that were really good!

We had to wait until after 4:00 so I could pick up my award. I wish I could get my award earlier so we could get on the road. Having a 3+ hour drive home after getting up at 3:00 a.m. and racing is not easy.

Event comments:

Despite the cancelled swim, rain and wind, it was a great race. It was the first time in 11 years that EM was not hot!

Last updated: 2019-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 2112 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/2174
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: