General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint tomorrow - not ready Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-06-15 9:43 AM

Watertown, New York
Subject: Sprint tomorrow - not ready
Alright - I signed up months ago for a race that's tomorrow. Since then, life got a little crazy. I've had back-to-back-to-back work trips, a vacation, and now have an unexpected move to 1,700 miles away that I've been working on. Training took a back...back seat. I've been able to continue doing my REALLY slow 3 mile runs (10min+ per mile pace), but haven't swum in a month, have never been in a lake, and haven't bike other than two Spin classes in the last month+. Overall, including Crossfit workouts, I've only gotten 3-4 workouts per week for the last 6 weeks.

Should I do this? I'm especially worried about the swim since I'm not a very confident swimmer anyway (mostly breast stroke), and have never swum outside of a pool. I'm really still learning how to swim period. The swim is a 500m lake swim with 25 mph winds expected.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Motormouth 2019-06-15 9:45 AM

2019-06-15 10:45 AM
in reply to: Motormouth

Watertown, New York
Subject: RE: Sprint tomorrow - not ready
Also, this would be my first race or competition of any kind (at 41 y.o.), and don't know anyone that does any kind of athletic competitions, so I have no idea what it's like.
2019-06-15 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Could be a recipe for disaster man. Especially with 0, and I mean zilch, open water experience. You might DNF from open water panic and get pulled out of the water by the lifeguards. I've heard this from so many athletes who have never swam open water with or without a wetsuit.

Perhaps you can ask them to switch you over to a bike and run race if available? This way you can still join the race and avoid the possible open water swim dangers.
2019-06-15 11:48 AM
in reply to: 0

Watertown, New York
I thought about that, but there isn't a bike - run available, only an "aquabike." I hate to drop, because with the move and then a deployment, this is my last chance to try this until at least summer 2021. I keep being told to just stop trying to do anything until retirement in 2023 or after, but that's just not me.

That said, the open water thing may be a problem. I'm driving to where they're having the race today to see how I feel in the water by myself. If I feel alright, since I'm in the second to last wave, I think I'll just enter the water last and stay on the outside of the course the whole time, and breaststroke my way through it. It won't be wetsuit legal (which is good, because I don't have one), since the water is 82.

Edited by Motormouth 2019-06-15 12:05 PM
2019-06-15 2:09 PM
in reply to: #5259942

User image

I went into my first tri without any swimming experience, other than in my neighbors backyard pool. I ended up having to perform a lot of different strokes to make it through the swim, but I made it. If you’re in decent shape, a 1/4 mile swim is doable. It’ll be harder than you think and you may end up backstroking or doggy paddling, but you’ll finish it. Then just enjoy the bike and run.

Don’t put any pressure on yourself and make it a fun experience instead of a race. Most sprints are beginner friendly. Also, in a swim you can put your feet down or hold onto a buoy, kayak, etc as long as you aren’t making forward progress.

I did a half Ironman last month in a lake and there where quite a few people who stood up at the shore between the first and second lap of the swim.
2019-06-15 3:23 PM
in reply to: Parkland

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Some races I've done, even half-iron distance, have a beginner's wave that people in any age group can join--it usually starts last and is a smaller group. If there happens to be one, join it. Some events also have special colored caps for less confident swimmers or those with medical issues who might need assistance--you could get one of those if on offer. Otherwise, as you've said, start at the back of the wave, keep in the clear from other swimmers, and just take your time.

2019-06-15 8:05 PM

Watertown, New York
I did go to the race location to see what I thought about it. The winds are about 20 mph (supposed to be even stronger tomorrow) and after giving a shot, I had to face the music that I'm not ready for open water - much less so with those conditions. I didn't even make it 50 meters before the panic started to set it.

I guess I'm not cut out for open water and will just look for pool swims from now on. I don't think I could ever be comfortable out on a lake or in the ocean.
2019-06-15 8:27 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think it's a wise decision. I'm normally a confident and fairly fast open water swimmer, and lake swims in such windy conditions are a challenge for me--actually can be physically harder and more stressful than some ocean swims as you don't get the buoyancy boost from salt water, and lake conditions can change very, very quickly. I would try to continue to work on becoming a stronger, more confident pool swimmer, but also find a way to work on open water skills/confidence when conditions are better, and try again later this season or next. Not sure where you are but many U.S. cities have master's swim clubs or tri clubs that put on supervised open water practices. Here in Boise, for example, a tri club holds a free public session almost every week during the summer at a popular swimming lake.
2019-06-15 9:47 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Motormouth

I did go to the race location to see what I thought about it. The winds are about 20 mph (supposed to be even stronger tomorrow) and after giving a shot, I had to face the music that I'm not ready for open water - much less so with those conditions. I didn't even make it 50 meters before the panic started to set it.

I guess I'm not cut out for open water and will just look for pool swims from now on. I don't think I could ever be comfortable out on a lake or in the ocean.

Do not say you will never be comfortable in open water! You are now looking for crazy conditons, and you have no experience. Once you become stronger swimmer, you will feel much better, and the conditions may always change.

I do not consider myself a strong swimmer, but every time I swim in a lake, regardless of codnitions, I just absolutely love it. There is this sense of freedom, this connection with water and rhythm... I never have that in the pool. There is always a room for stress and anxiety, but overall, it's a great experience. So give yourself a chance )))
2019-06-16 12:12 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
You made a good decision with no open water experience. Dot write it off go do the training do some open water swims and you will be more comfortable for the next one.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint tomorrow - not ready Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wetsuit legal races..or not

Started by Burchib
Views: 769 Posts: 6

2018-10-29 9:09 AM Burchib

A delayed not so brief Race Report for IM Steelhead 70.3

Started by jnuger
Views: 718 Posts: 3

2018-09-25 6:47 AM jnuger

Do not underestimate transitions