General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to use for an afternoon pick me up to re energize? For workouts! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-06-19 7:14 PM

Subject: What to use for an afternoon pick me up to re energize? For workouts!
I'm a landscaper and in my 2nd year of triathlon. I'm a tea drinker, little to no coffee and I eat pretty healthy. I'm looking for ideas to re energize / re fuel tired muscles after a day of physical labor landscaping so I can get in a few more workouts. I'm currently getting ready to try a few table spoons of honey right after work. My daily breakfast is oatmeal or a cliff bar and tea. Work day lunch is cocoanut water, trail mix, peanut butter crackers, tuna pack and 2 bottles of water throughout morning and afternoon. My office days are great as I have all kinds of energy but sometimes when I'm out in the field doing physical labor I'm done in! Ideas? Also low GI options otherwise probably won't work for this guy.

2019-06-19 8:39 PM
in reply to: Jeff Maule

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: What to use for an afternoon pick me up to re energize? For workouts!
I usually would have some kind of energy bar (there are plenty of low GI options--I like Cliff Mojo Peanut Butter Pretzel--less sweet than most) or maybe some dark chocolate and nuts. Plus coffee. Coffee is great for getting enough mental get up and go to get my butt out of the chair/sofa/wherever and onto the bike or road or into the pool. Some good strong tea would probably serve as well, or use an electrolyte drink (pretty much sugar-free) like Nuun Energy during your workout--that would provide a small hit of caffeine as well as some of the electrolytes you may have lost during a day of hard physical work. You may find that on days you work in the field, you need to eat a more substantial breakfast and/or lunch--I know that can be hard if on the move between job sites or outside, or with limited time to eat. Healthy fats and whole grains (like a PB sandwich on whole wheat bread instead of the crackers) might help keep you full longer. It might also be worth considering moving more intense workouts to early AM if possible, especially in hot weather.
2019-06-19 11:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: What to use for an afternoon pick me up to re energize? For workouts!

Coffee until noon, water until done working out, beer until bed...............repeat.

"Back in the day", before energy bars, we would cook up a couple lbs. of brown rice twice a week and eat it all day, a cup at a time........high carb superfood fuel for an endurance engine!!

Then again, we raced in speedos, so the whole thing could have been an error in judgement.

Edited by Left Brain 2019-06-19 11:42 PM
2019-06-20 7:02 AM
in reply to: #5260085

Think I'll look into the health fats, so thanks for that. I really don't want to go back to drinking coffee again, I stopped a few years ago and it been a good thing, minus the lack of caffeine. Maybe I'll try taking a small dose of a caffeine tab like = to 1/4 cup of coffee with my morning tea. This might help me get waken up quicker in the am to get in a workout before the workday starts as you suggested.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to use for an afternoon pick me up to re energize? For workouts! Rss Feed