General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Association Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Columbia Association Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Maryland
United States
Rip It Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 1s
Overall Rank = 118/206
Age Group = M 60-64
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

Had to get up really early and out of the house by 4:30am in order to get over to the race site in time to check in and set up. Had a bagel for early sustenance and that was it.
Event warmup:

Just stretching and rolling the arms back and forth as we wound our way around the pool toward the start.
Swim
  • 11m 50s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim time includes the run to the transition area. I glanced at my Garmin when I climbed out of the pool and saw a time of 11:00 minutes for my actual swim. Not too shabby.

They gave us plenty of room between swimmers so there was little to no angst from that. Also said passing was only allowed at the wall, so that was cool too, especially since we swam down and back in same lane. Because of the pool swim nature, I think it was 30-40 minutes after first swimmer that I actually got into the water; first runners had actually headed out onto the course. But it was a really fun overall vibe as we waited.

Water was cold so that took my immediate attention with a little bit of gasping. But overall I did OK, maybe pushed a little too fast at the outset. Felt out of whack rolling to breathe to the left, like I was sinking. Didn't spend a lot of time thinking about form, which I don't think was a good thing. Had I done that I might've felt a little calmer or more relaxed.

But overall a solid swim with little to no anxiety, thanks to the pool venue.
What would you do differently?:

Focus more on form and swimming long, staying a bit more relaxed. I think some of this is because we were down and back in the same lane, so that precluded relaxation to some extent, being worried about contact with someone else. That didn't actually happen. Would likely not experience this in an open water setting, other than at the start.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Good transition overall, moved efficiently.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 35m 9s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Solid bike ride even taking some of the inclines into account. Had a couple of really good downhills too. Quite happy with the result, fun ride. Rode most of the second loop with my new acquaintance Shawn, two age groups down, former Marine, swapping places back and forth, finished about the same time. Both got a laugh out of getting passed, and quickly, by some kid on a 30 lb upright hybrid bike.

Not a thing; quite happy with this ride. Well, except for that kid blowing past us on a hybrid.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Average transition. Took some time to squeeze down some Gu before taking off.

Keep practicing with my shoes!
Run
  • 32m 37s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Did not care for the grassy portion...too lumpy and uneven for comfort, had me worried about turning an ankle or twisting a knee, so I kept it slow. Crazy convoluted route through the wooded park portion but it was nice and cool in there, I could just never figure who was coming and who was going and where I fit in. Came out of the woods to a neighborhood street that went up a steep incline before leveling off then downhill to the second loop then to finish area. Tough hill; I trudged up the first third then walked the rest, wasn’t alone in that either. Not sure I saw anybody actually run up that hill. After second loop picked up the pace on the downhill, pacing off a couple chicks having a good time, chatting each other up.

Run was toughest leg today and my result was about what I’ve come to expect. Given I walked up that hill twice, it’s hard to be too disappointed with the overall time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, downed a bottle of water and ate half a banana, chatted with Shawn after he came across. Cool guy getting back to Tri after a bad injury a couple years ago.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Easy answer is run fitness, although I think I have decent fitness, it’s just slow fitness, if there is such a thing. That and aging up, which I keep going on about.as if it’s a thing. Keep wondering if it’s possible to get faster at this point.

Event comments:

Loved this race. Extremely well organized, plenty of volunteers, and a great, fun, energizing vibe. Oriented mainly toward beginners and first timers, but it was a great time, brought me back to my early years in the sport, which I really needed after my last outing.

Last updated: 2019-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:50 | 400 meters | 02m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 161/206
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Snaking Pool Swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:22
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:09 | 10 miles | 17.07 mile/hr
Overall: 72/206
Wind: None
Course: Two loops in Columbia area, through residential neighborhoods. Some hills, but nothing major.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:32:37 | 03.1 miles | 10m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 135/206
Performance: Below average
Course: Started out with a quarter mile or so on grass, then two loops of a paved trail through a wooded park area and a neighborhood, including a fairly steep hill. Finished mostly on a downhill with the last bit on grass.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2019-06-22 12:33 PM

Subject: Columbia Association Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Association Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fat Clam Sprint Triathlon

Started by dtoce
Views: 934 Posts: 2

2018-07-22 7:00 PM Dream Chaser

mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon

Started by dexter
Views: 1092 Posts: 3

2018-07-17 9:24 PM dexter

Pat Griskus Sprint Triathlon

Started by dtoce
Views: 827 Posts: 1