General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hey from York, PA Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-06-25 4:52 AM

User image

Subject: Hey from York, PA
Hi - noob here. I've been running, biking, and swimming for about 3 years. Did a 5k last fall and an indoor tri in Feb. Looking to do my first sprint in August in Lancaster, PA. Over the next 3 years, I'd like to build up to 70.3 distances. Today, I can bike 34 miles, run 7, and swim 1800m (perhaps more with time).

There's a vast sea of information out there. Looking for help. I saw there was a mentor thread here, and looks like it was closed. Trying to bounce a lot of questions off of someone who's done this for awhile.

Just some of what I'm looking at...
1) What are the best places/brands for a tri suit? I have a bike suit, but no one wants to run with that thing soaking wet I don't want to throw $200 at a knock off item that tears on my first tri.
2) The indoor smart trainer setups. I tried a dumb trainer with an old hybrid bike. Fail. I like the idea of the wahoo kickr, but there's a lot of things that connect to other parts and I fear spending a thousand or more on a setup that won't work well. The axle on my gravel bike axle is also not the quick release, so that made for an interesting moment when I tried to set that up with the dumb trainer. Blew $150 on something I'll never use now, because Zwift with a dumb trainer is....dumb.
3) Training with power. All of these videos talk about watts. My jaw drops at pedal prices. Is everyone using powertap pedals or are there other items used for power which are more affordable and used by every day folks? I just bought some clip in pedals for $45 a month ago and some MTB shoes with cleats to clip in. Love it. Now I may have to get different pedals? Yuck. I saw one item is the crank which can measure power, but my guess is you have to take that somewhere to get it put on. And $500?? Ouch.

4) Coaches. I emailed one to check prices and that was a bit of an eye opener. I am not so much needing training plans as much as having some tri friends to bounce questions off of at the moment. I was looking to maybe get a coach I could meet with once a month for an hour in person and talk things out. Adjust. I have had a personal trainer to help me lost 162 pounds and while I'm pretty close to my goal weight, I like the idea of a coach for accountability.
5) Where to get a tri bike. I'm not looking to spend 10k. I bought a gravel bike last year (Specialized) and it's been great to ride on the rail trails near me for training. I'm thinking about a year out I'll be looking at a tri bike. My local bike shop has nothing like this.

2019-06-25 3:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Hey from York, PA

Originally posted by Natefishpa Hi - noob here. I've been running, biking, and swimming for about 3 years. Did a 5k last fall and an indoor tri in Feb. Looking to do my first sprint in August in Lancaster, PA. Over the next 3 years, I'd like to build up to 70.3 distances. Today, I can bike 34 miles, run 7, and swim 1800m (perhaps more with time). There's a vast sea of information out there. Looking for help. I saw there was a mentor thread here, and looks like it was closed. Trying to bounce a lot of questions off of someone who's done this for awhile. Just some of what I'm looking at... 1) What are the best places/brands for a tri suit? I have a bike suit, but no one wants to run with that thing soaking wet I don't want to throw $200 at a knock off item that tears on my first tri. 2) The indoor smart trainer setups. I tried a dumb trainer with an old hybrid bike. Fail. I like the idea of the wahoo kickr, but there's a lot of things that connect to other parts and I fear spending a thousand or more on a setup that won't work well. The axle on my gravel bike axle is also not the quick release, so that made for an interesting moment when I tried to set that up with the dumb trainer. Blew $150 on something I'll never use now, because Zwift with a dumb trainer is....dumb. 3) Training with power. All of these videos talk about watts. My jaw drops at pedal prices. Is everyone using powertap pedals or are there other items used for power which are more affordable and used by every day folks? I just bought some clip in pedals for $45 a month ago and some MTB shoes with cleats to clip in. Love it. Now I may have to get different pedals? Yuck. I saw one item is the crank which can measure power, but my guess is you have to take that somewhere to get it put on. And $500?? Ouch. 4) Coaches. I emailed one to check prices and that was a bit of an eye opener. I am not so much needing training plans as much as having some tri friends to bounce questions off of at the moment. I was looking to maybe get a coach I could meet with once a month for an hour in person and talk things out. Adjust. I have had a personal trainer to help me lost 162 pounds and while I'm pretty close to my goal weight, I like the idea of a coach for accountability. 5) Where to get a tri bike. I'm not looking to spend 10k. I bought a gravel bike last year (Specialized) and it's been great to ride on the rail trails near me for training. I'm thinking about a year out I'll be looking at a tri bike. My local bike shop has nothing like this.

Hi there!  I'm fairly local to you, so I may be able to answer some of the local questions.  But first, welcome!  It sounds like you have a great set of numbers to start with as far as biking, swimming and running.

1)  There are a lot of good suits out there and everyone's opinions will be different.  I like Wattie Ink's gear - a bit pricey but very comfortable.  I've also used Pactimo and a few odd pieces.  Many folks swear by DeSoto.  I tend to buy online since there really aren't any tri-specific stores near us.

2) I used to have a dumb trainer and used the TrainerRoad program with it.  TR offers 'virtual watts' for the workouts that can be setup by entering in your type of trainer, etc.  I currently have a Wahoo Kickr Snap, a bit cheaper than the full on Kickr.  

3) Having power isn't a must have.  I have been doing triathlons for 9 years and don't have any power pedals or hub.  It's nice if you can afford it, but you also need to know what to do with the numbers you put out.  Here's where you'd want the guidance of a coach.  I would save purchasing any power specific gear until you know you truly want/need it because as you said, it's expensive!  And the pedals you have now are OK especially on that bike.  If you intend to use the gravel bike for racing and decide to stick with racing, different shoes and pedals will likely be a decent idea.

4) Coaches can be expensive, but there are a few more reasonably priced ones out there.  Another option is reach out to a coach and tell them you just want a little feedback now and then, or a little chat 1x/week and not a training plan, they may be willing to work with you.  In other words, have a coach from a consulting standpoint rather than a training plan creator + feedback standpoint.  Coaches do tend to be good motivation for adhering to the plan and being held accountable.  I believe the group I work with offers this service and I'm certain others would as well.

5) Lancaster Velo in Centerville, Trek Bicycle in Rohrerstown, and Green Mountain Cyclery in Ephrata offer tri bikes (can you tell I live on the Lancaster side of the river and not York? ) .  I know of a few shops in York but don't know if they carry tri bikes - Gung Ho and The Cycle Works.

Edited to add a few things but also this: while the mentor groups are technically 'closed' right now, it wouldn't hurt to find one that is active and ask if you can join.  They are a great place to socialize and get ideas both tri related and off topic.

Happy training!

Edited by melbo55 2019-06-25 3:17 PM
2019-06-26 7:04 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Hey from York, PA
Hey,

I have done the "PA State Triathlon" which is around Gifford Pinchot State Park. It's a FUN tri with a bunch of hills on the bike and trail run. Very local for you.

I am also from the area, just West of you off Route 30.

Welcome to the game!

Regarding all of the interesting tid bits and questions, so many different answers.

Goals-
I like to race to enjoy the surroundings, the people putting everything together on one day. I don't necessarily "put it all out there" on race day like some others that might contribute here. Training now for 70.3, with a few olympics under the belt.

Trainer -
I have done all of my indoor training on "dumb trainer" with a road bike or tri bike hooked up to it. I have found the work outs to be very effective and the time on the trainer does a good job prepping your legs (and your tail) for longer rides outside.

Power -
I have heard it's very effective. Haven't invested the money.

Swimming -
Go to Pinchot and utilize their OWS area. It is a great training tool and close by.

Tri Bike -
I bought mine used from a guy in Lancaster. It's a Cannondale Slice, also have gotten all of my road bikes used. All bikes I have bought have been under $1000 and all from the area.

Weight Loss -
I lost 100lbs about 8 years ago and have kept it off +/- 5lbs for the duration. Doing so with running first and then moving to SwimBikeRun.
Best of luck to you.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hey from York, PA Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hey from the Lou

Started by smk3photography
Views: 534 Posts: 3

2019-06-17 9:58 PM CBarnes