General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tripped and fell on my knee with race 5 weeks away...:( Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-06-25 8:59 PM

Subject: Tripped and fell on my knee with race 5 weeks away...:(
Hi everyone, I'm so bummed and don't know what to do. On a combo workout this past Sunday I tripped on a pebble and fell on my knees, particularly my left knee 2 mins away from completing the run portion.

I am five weeks away from my very first Sprint Tri race, and I'm doing a modified version of Joe Friel's Beginner Triathlete plan so everything is ramping up now.

My left knee is already weaker from patellafemoral issues and I've been McConnell taping as advised by my Physical Therapist. It wasn't taped when I fell because it was a combo workout ( would have gotten wet).

I'm limping slightly now after 2 days, my knees are skinned and wounds are scabbed but still painful. Although not much swelling that I can see, I'm having slight trouble going up and down stairs and there's soreness and stiffness around where I banged it.

I skipped my swim yesterday due to open wounds and thinking of going for easy bike today.

What should I do at this point? Rest or continue training? I read that range of motion is important to maintain. I'm so frustrated, I've worked so hard for 3 months to get where I am now as someone who was not in shape before.

Thanks so much, any advice welcomed.
Amy

2019-06-25 9:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Tripped and fell on my knee with race 5 weeks away...:(
Would rest and let it heal--rest, ice, compression, elevation. Maybe some Advil or similar. Some people swear by arnica for bruising, which is what this sounds like. Deep bone bruises can take 2-4 weeks to go away. Easy biking or walking if that doesn't hurt too much will help maintain range of motion. If you can find waterproof bandages, you could get back to swimming sooner rather than later.

I feel your pain. Pretty much all my running injuries (in almost 40 years of it) have been from tripping over various objects or my own two feet. Plenty of bruised up knees (I probably still carry scar tissue in one, plus some gravel in both) and most recently a broken elbow requiring a plate and five screws. The PT hurts worse than the break, which was over four months ago and is actually "healed", but my body is extremely unhappy with the metal plate, which can't come out for at least another five months. There are days I am tempted to perform DIY amputation. Consider yourself lucky and watch your footing, especially when tired.

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-06-25 9:54 PM
2019-06-26 2:45 PM
in reply to: #5260285

User image

I second finding a waterproof bandage and getting back in the pool. The non weight bearing aspect of swimming will allow you keep training. Ease back into cycling and running once you feel better.
2019-06-26 4:54 PM
in reply to: Parkland

User image

Franklin, TN

You've got plenty of time.  I'd wait for the soreness to subside before starting back on the run.  Definitely find a way to get in the water as soon as doable.  It's the one discipline that I try to avoid skipping more than 2 days...I just think it's easy to lose your feel for the water if you take much time off.  I would bike if it didn't create additional soreness. 

2019-06-30 4:19 PM
in reply to: #5260306

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your advice, really appreciate it. Hot Runner relieved to know tripping and falling on a run isn't such an anomaly, thanks for sharing your experience!

After resting in pain for 1 day, I went on my usual hilly bike ride, thinking I could not go all the way if I didn't feel good, but ended up going very well! Little to no pain. My knee was slightly swollen still and I replaced my run the following day with a longer bike ride the next day.

I did find Tegaderm locally and used it for 2 swims this week although the first one inflamed it a little and I had to put on some antibiotic cream on my wound.

Happy to report I went on my longest run yesterday on the beach and felt mostly great! Phew. I was worried there. Haven't fallen on my knees since I was kid and much lighter.

So far I'm healing normally.

Thanks again!
2019-07-01 6:45 AM
in reply to: rotipom

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Glad to read you are healing well keep p the good work

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tripped and fell on my knee with race 5 weeks away...:( Rss Feed