General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit "leaks" at the back zip Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-07-06 8:59 PM

User image

Munich, Bayern
Subject: Wetsuit "leaks" at the back zip
I was wondering, I am a complete n00b, is it normal that a wetsuit (Camaro Black Tec Skin I guess 1.0) is leaking a lot of water at the back zip?
Thanks for the replies!

2019-07-07 7:53 PM
in reply to: #5260625

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Wetsuit "leaks" at the back zip
Is water leaking in or out? I have used three wetsuits all of varying fits. Even when the fit is pretty loose there is no room for water to leak into the suit. I would think that pockets filling up with water would not we common.
2019-07-07 8:26 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Pro

That wetsuit is not made for swimming.  They make surf, wake board, etc. suits.  They are NOT suitable for open water swimming.

2019-07-07 8:28 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hmmm....some water always leaks into my suit and I was told that is normal as it is a wetsuit, not a dry suit. But it should be a small amount (that your body heat quickly warms up) and not increase over time. If there is a lot around the zipper, maybe you have not properly zipped it, or attached the part at the top of the neck (there's usually a Velcro there). Or maybe it is too big. I have tried some suits that, while according to size charts they should have fit, they just don't work for my body (female, medium-tall and lanky), and had leaks in all kinds of places because "neck", "chest", "calves" etc. on the suit just don't correspond with where they are on me!
2019-07-07 8:30 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Well, LB, I guess that would explain it. Not familiar with that model but swim/tri wetsuits are distinct from others. I have tried to do an OWS in a borrowed suit (that a friend's daughter used for snorkeling) and it definitely did not work too well!
2019-07-08 9:44 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Munich, Bayern
Originally posted by Left Brain

That wetsuit is not made for swimming.  They make surf, wake board, etc. suits.  They are NOT suitable for open water swimming.

Thanks for the replies!

I was wondering, would you recommend the Orca S7 as a replacement? Or could you recomend a "cheap" tri wetsuit?

2019-07-08 10:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
There have been a ton of online sales on the Xterra Vortex, both sleeved and sleeveless, in recent weeks. The latter was well under $100 (I paid $79, have seen as low as $69, may depend on what size you need). I bought one as I felt I needed a sleeveless model this summer for medical reasons (a bunch of metalwork in my elbow currently since February). I have tried the suit on inside, seems decent quality, but have yet to work up the nerve to go jump in a lake with it. Lake is still cold and my swimming is awkward. Maybe next week...can post my impressions of the suit here if/when I do.

Can't decide--better to keep arm in question warmer and a bit padded by the neoprene on my sleeved suit but struggle more with the on/off process, or easy on/off but cold arms and less protection. Will probably end up trying both.

Personally I love my sleeved suit, from an Oregon company called ProMotion. It's warm and flexible, durable, fits great, and has calf zippers that really expedite the on-off process, especially if you are an otherwise thin athlete with muscular runner's calves! Not super-cheap (I think I paid $169 or $179 for their higher-end model about three years ago), but their suits are pretty reasonable compared to a lot of brands and they sometimes have good online sales, plus great customer service and return policies. Be aware--this company, based in Hood River which is a wind-surfing mecca, also makes wetsuits for wind-surfing and other purposes--you need to look at the triathlon part of their website to find the right stuff.

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-07-08 10:24 PM
2019-07-08 11:05 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Lighttower

Thanks for the replies! I was wondering, would you recommend the Orca S7 as a replacement? Or could you recomend a "cheap" tri wetsuit?

Do you have the ability to try a suit on?  Tri shop near you?  "Cheap" can be a relative term for a tri wetsuit.  If the fit isn't good you're wasting your money at any price because you'll be miserable.  If you can't try one on......I'm telling you, you may be as much as two sizes smaller than you think you  are, depending on your build.  At 6'2, 190, I wore a large in the Blueseventy suit (fairly cheap) I liked the best.  My son is 6'5" and 165-170 and he wears a small in the Huub wetsuit (not cheap) he likes the most, just to give you an idea of why trying it on, before you purchase, can be the most important part of the cost.  My experience with Xterra suits was not good.....they tore very easily....but in fairness, they were mostly kids who were using them, and they pretty much tore up everything they touched. LOL

If you can't try it on......call the company and they will ask you to take some measurements to help get the right suit.....I don't know of a company that won't be accommodating to that.

After you buy, post again for some help in getting it on properly.  If you don't, your shoulders or legs will hate you, or you will hate yourself when you rip it.

ETA - it's not nearly as complicated as I think I just made it sound, but there are tricks to getting it right.

Edited by Left Brain 2019-07-08 11:16 PM
2019-07-09 9:32 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Please share those tricks! :D
2019-07-09 9:46 AM

User image

Pro

Marysia - the biggest mistake people make when putting a wetsuit on is forgetting about getting it right on their torso.  Everybody pulls and tugs on their suit to get it right in the crotch area and the shoulders......but getting it right from your waist to your armpits is actually the part that will affect your swim the most.  If you don't get it ALL THE WAY up under your arms,  the suit will act like a giant resistance band every time you put your arm over you head (like you do with every swim stroke)  After you get your suit up on your torso, THEN work on getting your arms in.....it will make it much easier to get the suit over your shoulder properly.  If you feel restriction in rotating your arms over your head you've done it wrong, or your suit doesn't fit.....there should be none.

And (here's the part that makes everyone crazy) cut your suit!!  We wear ours cut to the middle of our calves and the middle of our forearms....comes on and, ESPECIALLY, off so much easier.  Yes, I know cutting a 200.00+ wetsuit makes some people want to run outside and rub dog poop in their hair........just do it.

Edited by Left Brain 2019-07-09 10:06 AM
2019-07-09 3:25 PM
in reply to: Lighttower

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
All of my wetsuits I have owned let a little bit of water in at the zipper. Zippers are not very waterproof.

But, it should not be like a river.

2019-07-09 4:27 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Marysia - the biggest mistake people make when putting a wetsuit on is forgetting about getting it right on their torso.  Everybody pulls and tugs on their suit to get it right in the crotch area and the shoulders......but getting it right from your waist to your armpits is actually the part that will affect your swim the most.  If you don't get it ALL THE WAY up under your arms,  the suit will act like a giant resistance band every time you put your arm over you head (like you do with every swim stroke)  After you get your suit up on your torso, THEN work on getting your arms in.....it will make it much easier to get the suit over your shoulder properly.  If you feel restriction in rotating your arms over your head you've done it wrong, or your suit doesn't fit.....there should be none.

And (here's the part that makes everyone crazy) cut your suit!!  We wear ours cut to the middle of our calves and the middle of our forearms....comes on and, ESPECIALLY, off so much easier.  Yes, I know cutting a 200.00+ wetsuit makes some people want to run outside and rub dog poop in their hair........just do it.

Hmm.. this makes more sense for me now. I just bought a wetsuit and tried it only once (in a hurry and excitement...). While it fit perfect on the legs and waist, it felt awful on the chest and neck. I will try again with more work on the upper body.
2019-07-10 12:23 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marysia83

Hmm.. this makes more sense for me now. I just bought a wetsuit and tried it only once (in a hurry and excitement...). While it fit perfect on the legs and waist, it felt awful on the chest and neck. I will try again with more work on the upper body.

Yep, it's even more important for gals.  One of my twins that swims and did triathlon had a hard time.  She is 5'10 and big chested and really struggled to get comfortable in a wet suit. (1:05 100/ 6:20 500 so not a fast "swimmer" but a very fast women's AG triathlon swim)  What I saw her doing was the same thing most people do......she got herself situated up to her hips, and them went straight to pulling it up and getting her arms in.  That's a mistake.  Work it up the same way you do when working it up your legs and over your hips........get all that material you can pulled up (get someone to start the zipper up to the middle of your back if you can't reach it yourself and then work it up) before you put your arms in......it'll be easier to get it pulled comfortably over your girl "obstructions" as well.  Once you've got it pulled up good, then work your arms in.......you'll find it goes over your shoulders much easier and will relieve that pressure you feel on your chest and neck. Put your wetsuit on with all the patience you can muster.......take it off like you are on fire!! (that's where the cutting comes in....it will NEVER get stuck on your hands or feet)

Edited by Left Brain 2019-07-10 12:43 AM

(legs.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
legs.jpg (105KB - 7 downloads)
2019-07-10 12:55 AM

User image

Pro

The pic was added and I was timed out to add a comment.......but do you see where we have her suit cut to on her legs?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit "leaks" at the back zip Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

goggles leaking sometimes when swimming

Started by robertChiefsFan
Views: 3822 Posts: 17

2018-08-18 1:31 AM ARWilliamson

WETSUIT RESTRICTING BREATHING??????

Started by dabeachbums5
Views: 6703 Posts: 13

2019-05-07 11:23 AM guguwa

Wearing a watch with a wetsuit? Pages: 1 2