General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vacation Workouts Atlantic City Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-07-10 9:47 AM

User image

Subject: Vacation Workouts Atlantic City
Hey All -

We will be in Atlantic City for vacation in a couple weeks and I want to make sure my training for IMMD doesn't get derailed. Does anyone know of tri groups, OWS opportunites/areas/groups (not crazy about the ocean and if there are any lakes,rivers, or maybe bays etc., that would be great), long run or bike courses in the area? Any opportunities to train with others (especially the swim!) would be fabulous.

Thanks!
Kate

2019-07-15 11:59 AM
in reply to: #5260727

Subject: RE: Vacation Workouts Atlantic City
Swim: Ocean City has open water swims every weekend or you can drive about 45 mins inland to Medford lakes.....it’s an old ymca camp (eta coach open water swims)

(Thurs night, Sat/Sun morning)....also great bike roads and trails

Bike:Route 9 has wide shoulders and you can ride relatively uninterrupted for miles with many less traveled off shoots. If you go North the Wharton State Forest is great, if you go south passed Avalon you can take 83

Run: Boardwalk in the morning is easiest....about 5 miles Ish??
2019-07-15 12:42 PM
in reply to: pcosta85

User image

Thanks! That is so helpful. Do you know if Rt 30 or Rt 40 are bike-rideable to reach Rt 9? We are staying in Ventnor.

I also saw the Atlantic City Triathlon swim takes place in the bay paralleling the ocean (might be called Inside Thorofare?). Any idea if we could swim there?

We are taking vacation with our extended family and as always, trying to balance working out with family time. If there are ways to train without having to drive, that will help.
2019-07-15 1:54 PM
in reply to: marathonkate

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
I would be hesitant to bike on Rt 30 or Rt 40 though I'm sure folks do just too much traffic and lights for me. Assuming the AC Tri has the swim in the same place as AC 70.3 I would say no that is not somewhere you would be able to swim on your own. Not much help I know but the Boardwalk is great for running.
2019-07-15 3:51 PM
in reply to: #5260866

For the bike if you leave early enough riding through Ventnor to 152 to 9 would be fine. 152 always has bikers and nice shoulders. When I ride the shore I usually just drive to 9 and ride. Maybe if you can track down the old challenge Atlantic City Full Bike Ride you can plan from there.

I did Challenge AC in the bay and I would not recommend swimming there. Strong outgoing current to the inlet.
2019-07-16 2:23 PM

User image

PCosta - thank you. This is very valuable. Glad to know there is a way out of town and a route to ride. Is either direction ok (north or south)?

So we have the bike and sounds like best bet for running is the boardwalk (I heard it's like 5 1/2 miles so we should be able to do some decent mileage, maybe by adding in some in town running).

Maybe we will have to do our swimming before we leave.

Thanks again!!!!

2019-07-16 9:40 PM
in reply to: #5260897

North you can take 9 like 25 miles out, also with the option to go into Wharton state forest...perimeter is a nice ride. Tilton Road will take you passed the airport and then Leipzig takes you toward the forest (Challenge AC 140.6 route) basically the Pines, Wharton or Bass State Forest are nice and little traffic

I haven’t been South from there in a while (usually leave from sea isle) you would have to to a short ride into ocean city then back out Roosevelt to 9 (bridge still out near beesleys point??? They were talking about a pedestrian bridge at one time) then you can basically ride 9 all the to the Cape May Ferry like 45 miles each way.
2019-07-20 10:02 AM

User image

Thanks! We had a lovely first day of vacation ride today (about 30 mi)- Up Atlantic Ave (bike lane all the way) - took Rt. 152, cut across Bethel and then hit 9. I really appreciate all the suggestions. We plan to do a longer ride Mon or Tues when it's a little cooler.
2019-07-20 10:11 PM
in reply to: #5260963

Awesome glad it worked out!!! Keep the updates coming and good luck with your race!!
2019-07-25 7:03 PM
in reply to: #5261100

How’d your rides go??? Hope you got a few good ones in!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vacation Workouts Atlantic City Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pre and post workout nutrition

Started by Onlyhisway
Views: 744 Posts: 6

2019-02-08 11:09 AM Onlyhisway

Ironman 70.3 workout programs

Started by Justin98
Views: 854 Posts: 6

2019-01-18 8:01 PM LanceCarter

Bike strength and endurance in the same workout