General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Inner Tubes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-07-15 12:39 PM

User image

Huntington Beach, CA
Subject: Inner Tubes
Thoughts on the most durable inner tube for my tri-bike (felt B14)? Looking for a durable tube for training..thanks a bunch in advance

2019-07-15 12:52 PM
in reply to: #5260871

User image

Subject: RE: Inner Tubes
I’ve used continental and specialized tubes with good results. Some folks say that latex inner tubes are less likely to flat as they can deform more than butyl. Latex is also supposed to requires less watts than butyl as well, but for training purposes they are a bit more expensive.
2019-07-23 9:02 AM
in reply to: paulalucas

there are different companies that make "thorn" resistant inner tubes, just thicker rubber. I'd stay away from latex except for race day (they are lighter and faster, but not as solid as a butyl tube). Those thorn resistant tubes are thicker and heavier and "might" prevent a puncture here or there. I honestly think that your tires are/should be your line of defense against punctures. Tubes shouldn't make much of a difference unless you are riding in some weird stuff. Like if a shard of glass makes it through your tire, no tube is going to protect you. Maybe thicker will repel a snakebite kind of puncture, but that's more about installing it properly. I wouldn't worry much about the type of tube, just pick up a bunch of whatever your local bike shop has. Mine rotates between michelin and continental, and I've never noticed a problem.
2019-07-23 9:07 AM
in reply to: GregKeller

User image

I use latex tubes year round because I just don't want to change tires/tubes except before A races. I have actually flatted more with butyl tubes. My only latex flat happened when the tubes were almost a year old. The key with latex is you need to pump them up every ride and if they get totally flat then you need to be careful when you pump up the next time. Then you are more likely to get a pinch flat. Otherwise, tire choice is way more important than tube choice when it comes to flats.
2019-07-23 2:16 PM
in reply to: paulalucas

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
https://amzn.to/2SwI6G9

Continental works well for me.
I get the long stems with removable cores for my race wheels.
2019-07-24 1:32 PM
in reply to: Parkland

User image

Huntington Beach, CA
Thank you everyone for the replies.

As for tires, I use the Continental Grand Prix 4000 for my front wheel.
I had this also for the back wheel, but my mechanic replaced the tire and put a Vittoria Open Corsa CX 25-622

I hope these are good quality tires

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Inner Tubes Rss Feed