Other Resources The Political Joe » National Debt Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-07-29 3:24 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: National Debt
This will be the doom of our nation if we allow it to continue.
Treasury to borrow over 1 trillion more
https://www.wsj.com/articles/treasury-to-borrow-over-1-trillion-in-2...
We are over 22.5 trillion now
https://usdebtclock.org/

2019-07-30 8:49 AM
in reply to: CBarnes

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: National Debt

Yep.

The only saving grace is that we'll all be in the same boat. 

2019-07-30 9:12 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Left Brain

Yep.

The only saving grace is that we'll all be in the same boat. 

No, no...you missed the memo...the debt will be a progressive obligation where those with more will assume more obligation!

2019-07-30 10:21 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Pro

Not if we leave.

2019-07-30 10:46 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Only way to deal with the debt is across the board spending cuts. Every line in budget takes a 5% cut....including military, SS, NASA, welfare....
2019-07-31 8:36 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

, Arizona
I'd support a candidate who would cut programs across the board, are there any?

Polls of the issue show that even though the deficit has been rising, concern over it has steadily dropped year over year for the last decade. People don't care (or don't know enough to care), but our day of reckoning still looms.

2019-07-31 8:56 AM
in reply to: Synon

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Synon I'd support a candidate who would cut programs across the board, are there any? Polls of the issue show that even though the deficit has been rising, concern over it has steadily dropped year over year for the last decade. People don't care (or don't know enough to care), but our day of reckoning still looms.

I would also support that candidate......but my guess it that horse has left the barn.  I don't think you'd have enough votes to carry a candidate who wanted to cut ALL lines of the budget to get us back to being fiscally responsible.  It's going to take a depression era crash, or maybe a big war, to get most of the country to understand you can't spend money you don't have.....they were raised to believe you can.  That's what all the years and generations of prosperity have done for us.  The pendulum will swing back.....but it's hard to say what the landscape will look like when it finally does.

2019-07-31 8:14 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas

Originally posted by Synon I'd support a candidate who would cut programs across the board, are there any? Polls of the issue show that even though the deficit has been rising, concern over it has steadily dropped year over year for the last decade. People don't care (or don't know enough to care), but our day of reckoning still looms.

I would also support that candidate......but my guess it that horse has left the barn.  I don't think you'd have enough votes to carry a candidate who wanted to cut ALL lines of the budget to get us back to being fiscally responsible.  It's going to take a depression era crash, or maybe a big war, to get most of the country to understand you can't spend money you don't have.....they were raised to believe you can.  That's what all the years and generations of prosperity have done for us.  The pendulum will swing back.....but it's hard to say what the landscape will look like when it finally does.

I believe you are right I hoped Trump would hold the line but alas he cant or wont a big war wont help us (unless we loose and someone rebuilds us) lol no one could even if they wanted to. Alas it will be a crash when we are unable to meet our debt obligations it will all come crashing down and we will take everyone else with us.
2019-08-01 9:10 AM
in reply to: CBarnes

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by CBarnes

I believe you are right I hoped Trump would hold the line but alas he cant or wont a big war wont help us (unless we loose and someone rebuilds us) lol no one could even if they wanted to. Alas it will be a crash when we are unable to meet our debt obligations it will all come crashing down and we will take everyone else with us.

Across the board cuts are as irrational as the deficit spending we're doing right now.  25 years ago Gingrich and all were proposing a worthless "balanced budget amendment."  It was worthless because they only had to "agree" on revenue projections that matched spending projections.  If the projections didn't pan out...oh well...

My recommendation:  Congress, here's the pot of money you collected 2 years ago.  Divide it however you wish, but when it's gone, it's GONE.  Your military doesn't get paid, Air Force 1 is grounded, your staff is furloughed with no back pay, social security checks don't go out, etc.  

If it's objectionable that social security checks aren't sent and the military isn't paid, then make sure you've got enough $$ to cover those expenses.  

The two advantages of this are:  1)  They're allocated a non-alterable amount.  2)  With a 2 year lag, they'll want low inflation.  

2019-08-01 9:17 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by McFuzz

Originally posted by CBarnes

Across the board cuts are as irrational as the deficit spending we're doing right now.  25 years ago Gingrich and all were proposing a worthless "balanced budget amendment."  It was worthless because they only had to "agree" on revenue projections that matched spending projections.  If the projections didn't pan out...oh well...

My recommendation:  Congress, here's the pot of money you collected 2 years ago.  Divide it however you wish, but when it's gone, it's GONE.  Your military doesn't get paid, Air Force 1 is grounded, your staff is furloughed with no back pay, social security checks don't go out, etc.  

If it's objectionable that social security checks aren't sent and the military isn't paid, then make sure you've got enough $$ to cover those expenses.  

The two advantages of this are:  1)  They're allocated a non-alterable amount.  2)  With a 2 year lag, they'll want low inflation.  

I agree with that......when I say "across the board cuts" I am implying that they will be adhered to.  You know, like you do in your household when money is tight, except that most people don't do that anymore.  That being the case, why would anyone expect them to vote for a President on those terms, or expect the govt. to function in that manner.....it's a foreign concept to them.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » National Debt Rss Feed