World Triathlon Corporation
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bagel w/ cream cheese, coffee and juice. Took nutrition and fluid to the mike. I checked condition of the bike including tires. Several bike tires were over inflated the day before and it was very hot. Tires were popping all afternoon of Saturday. I went back to the hotel, laid down for 5 minutes, and put on my wet suit. Then walked over and got in staging area.
Event warmup:

I just try to relax and get my head straight. Chat with other participants and just keep it positive.
Swim
  • 1h 57m 42s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was able to draft on the second lap for a good portion of the swim. No current to swim with or against.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster
Transition 1
  • 13m 29s
Comments:

Long run from Mirror Lake to T1. Everything was well organized. Took a Frog Fuel and drank 2 glasses of water. Very sandy tried to get as much off as possible. Feet were cleaned, but still had a lot of sand is unusual places.

I should have eaten and drank more
Bike
  • 8h 02m 12s
  • 112 miles
  • 13.94 mile/hr
Comments:

Half of the ride was a blast and then it got hard. A small storm passed through, and it became hot and humid in the valley. A police officer told me that his car temp. indicated 86 degrees. AKA the beginning of the end for me.

I blew it with nutrition and hydration. I did not drink enough early, and paid for it in the end. I could not tolerate my food and nutrition, so I switched to Gatoraid. In Lake Placid I discovered what goes down must come up. I did perfect vomiting on the bike without slowing down or a break in cadence. I see that as a win for me.
Transition 2
  • 07m 27s
Comments:

I forced myself to drink water and tried some nutrition (not a happy moment). My brain said the end is near, my heart said keep going.

I blew hydration and nutrition on the bike. It was too late to salvage the day.
Run
  • 4h 05m 10s
  • 15.8 miles
  • 15m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I had gone too far down the rabbit hole. I tried a pretzel with water, well that didn't turn out swell. I was able to suck on orange slices and sip water and coke. I figured if I do that at every aid station, I have a chance. Then I couldn't hold coke, the oranges and then water. I picked up a base salt from their aid station. From then on it was ice and base salt. My daughter realized that I was 4 minutes off pace to finish. She ran 5 miles found me in the middle of nowhere and encouraged me to keep going. I kept it up on base salt and ice. I made it back through town and the second turn around. I finished the first lap. After mile 15 the wheels finally fell off. I could not hold down ice. I kept going to the next aid station, my daughter found me again. I told her it wasn't safe for me to keep going, and I was going to take a medical DNF. She walked with me to the next aid station, they called for transport, and they took us to the med tent. I did perfect vomiting while running, without losing pace or stopping.

The problem started a long time before the run
Post race
Warm down:

Med tent, anti nausea pill and IV.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor execution of hydration and nutrition.

Event comments:

I didn't follow my nutrition and hydration plan and blew the high. I did not expect the high humidity and heat in the valley, and that along with my poor execution, caused a DNF.

Last updated: 2019-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:57:42 | 4224 yards | 02m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
I stayed way outside on the first lap. With all of the swimmers and the fast swimmers coming up, I wanted to stay out of the fray. Second lap I stayed on the "yellow" (not really yellow, stainless steel with algae). The slower people (my people) were the only ones left on the course. Some bumping, but not bad.
Suit: Wet suit
Course: Nice course easy swim, and hard to get off of course. Spotting is super easy large hotel in one direction big green building in the other.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 13:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
08:02:12 | 112 miles | 13.94 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
119 Average 159 high.
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: A lot of climbing. The Keene descent is more fun than should be allowed on a bike. 7 miles of curving downhill. Average speed 33.8 MPH. The climb out of Jay was 12 miles of horrible. 4 category 4 climbs on the route, so you do a total of 8 cat 4 climbs.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 72
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 07:27
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:05:10 | 15.8 miles | 15m 31s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
This is where is gets UGLY! 97 ave HR, high 132
Course: Hilly and 4 times through town 4 times through nowhere.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %8%
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2019-07-30 1:54 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Ironman Lake Placid

2019-07-30 2:21 PM
in reply to: #5261370

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid

I'm so sorry that the day didn't go as well as you wanted. 

2019-07-30 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Sounds like a rough day, I’m sorry! I know it’s hard to pull the chord and DNF, but health comes first!
2019-07-30 2:40 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Thanks. I'm good with how it finished. Especially since they took someone to the hospital while I was in the Med tent. The doc said they had 8 ambulances go to the hospital, mostly heat related and two broken collar bones. She said this was the busiest she has been post race. In the previous years, she was done by 9:00 PM. She saw me around 10:00 PM and had never seen the tent that full that late.
2019-07-30 2:42 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It sounds like it was a tough day all around!

2019-07-30 2:46 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Really glad you bailed when you did. That sounds very unsafe. Despite living in the south almost my whole life, I still haven't figured out how to handle the heat.

I hope your recovery is going well.

2019-07-30 2:47 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Nobody expected the storm followed by high heat and humidity in the valley. I saw some of the pros walking on the marathon.
2019-07-31 8:27 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
My coach was there and she said she'd never seen so many ambulances on the run course!

Sorry you had a bad day - but we live to fight again!!

Rest up....did you say you might go for Louisville in the fall?
2019-07-31 2:24 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

My coach was there and she said she'd never seen so many ambulances on the run course!

Sorry you had a bad day - but we live to fight again!!

Rest up....did you say you might go for Louisville in the fall?

I saw more ambulances that day than my other three IM's combined. Med tent was full. The doctor said she is usually home by 9:00 and has never seen that many people there that late.
I think the combination of the heat after that little storm and the headwind coming out of Jay destroyed a lot of people.
2019-07-31 3:33 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I'm so sorry to hear you had a rough day, Jim, but you were smart enough to know not to continue pushing it.  But hey, like you said, you learned to perfect puking on the bike and the run!  Eeek.  Little pop-up storms and showers are the norm in the Adirondacks, humid and hot is not.  

2019-08-01 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Way to make the right choice and DNF to the med tent, Jim. Absolutely the right call, so you can live and recover to race another day. Sorry it didn't go as planned.

2019-08-05 3:49 PM

Way to hang in there and listen to your body. A lot of people would have pushed on and end up in serious trouble.

I raced as well and it definitely was a tough day. I had a great swim and I was at my target pace and power for the first loop of the bike. That second loop killed me! It rained on me 4 separate times and after each rain it got hotter and more humid. The wind was awful and I kept cramping because I underestimated how much water I needed. The run was a disaster and at mile 4 I seriously thought of pulling the plug. I kept going and finished in the last hour but it wasn't pretty. I think a lot of people underestimated how hot and humid it was. Fortunately no ill effects. This was my 5th IM and by far the hardest and slowest one for me. I learned a lot that day.

I, too never saw so many ambulance and people needing help on the run course. At about mile 19 of the run a guy passed out right in front of me and they were carting him off. It freaked me out a bit. A guy finished right after me and collapsed. I think he was okay as they put him in a wheelchair and he was conscious.
2019-08-14 9:43 PM
in reply to: katgirl2013

User image

Expert
Originally posted by katgirl2013

Way to hang in there and listen to your body. A lot of people would have pushed on and end up in serious trouble.

I raced as well and it definitely was a tough day. I had a great swim and I was at my target pace and power for the first loop of the bike. That second loop killed me! It rained on me 4 separate times and after each rain it got hotter and more humid. The wind was awful and I kept cramping because I underestimated how much water I needed. The run was a disaster and at mile 4 I seriously thought of pulling the plug. I kept going and finished in the last hour but it wasn't pretty. I think a lot of people underestimated how hot and humid it was. Fortunately no ill effects. This was my 5th IM and by far the hardest and slowest one for me. I learned a lot that day.

I, too never saw so many ambulance and people needing help on the run course. At about mile 19 of the run a guy passed out right in front of me and they were carting him off. It freaked me out a bit. A guy finished right after me and collapsed. I think he was okay as they put him in a wheelchair and he was conscious.

The med tent was full. The Doc that took care of me said the brought in a guy who would have died on the course if they didn't take him off. She said his organs were starting to shut down and he would have gone into cardiac arrest. The rain, humidity and the wind on the up out of Keene were killers.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Lake Placid Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Loveland Lake to Lake Triathlon

Started by KirkD
Views: 631 Posts: 1

2019-05-04 2:42 PM KirkD

Ironman 70.3 Lake Placid

Started by melbo55
Views: 1210 Posts: 8

2018-11-30 9:19 PM QueenZipp