World Triathlon Corporation
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 08m 11s
Overall Rank = 135/2385
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 20/237
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:00am. Got together my morning bags then had breakfast. Two blueberry pancakes with syrup and a cup of milk, one packet of oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter, and a handful of cherries. Headed into town (awesome parking recommendation from Joe!) and took care of things in transition. Headed to the beach and had time to relax and take a couple pictures before getting into my wetsuit. ate two Clif Blocks and seeded myself at the back of the under 1 hour group.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 1h 03m 1s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Awesome, awesome swim. Seeded myself up front with the fast people and got into a nice pack early on. Couldn't believe how fast we were ticking off buoys. First loop in 30:30 and it didn't even feel that hard - incredible. Getting back in for the second loop I had a little trouble getting as good of drafting. After the turn around I started noticing first loop swimmers. by the last 2 or 3 buoys there were so many of them I had to zigzag my way around them.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, exceeded expectations and honestly never even felt that hard.
Transition 1
  • 07m 1s
Comments:

Could clean this up a bit but not awful. Wetsuit stuck on watch but the strippers got it off easy enough. Then I dropped my goggles and had to go back to get them. Didn't rush in the tent, got my feet nice and dry and took my Gas-X. Had trouble getting on bike and clipped in too.

First time I've ever had to get my own bike of the rack - oh well.

Not be so sloppy, but overall didn't add up to much time so not a big deal.
Bike
  • 5h 50m
  • 112 miles
  • 19.20 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was 5:50 and I'd say I nailed it! Felt really good on the first loop, weather was great and was hitting nutrition as planned. Came around at about 2:51 and was excited to keep it going for the second lap. Hit the top of the Keene descent in the exact amount of time as the first lap - good start. Got down both times very fast and aggressive (less traffic that usual due to improved swim). Started feeling some expected fatigue and overall body discomfort by the time I got to 86 on the second loop. The change in position for climbing was welcome at that point. On the Haselton out and back I noticed the wind had picked up significantly and it was also hot out now. I was hitting my back with water bottles at most aid stations to keep cool. Got to Wilmington 3 minutes slower than the first loop. The second time through the notch was not very fun at all - strong headwind the whole way. Back and neck were stiff but knew I had to stay down in aero to minimize the wind impact. Was so happy to get over Papa Bear and get out of the wind and into town. Second loop was about 2:58 due to wind and slightly backing off the power.

Average power = 145 (148/142), Normalized = 154 (157/151).
TSS = 250 (goal was 260-270, happy to be conservative though), IF = 0.655

Nothing, very well paced and slightly conservative bike leg. Reminded myself a few times that today was about being able to run well and this was the major key in that.

Offseason goal is to seriously work on my cycling though, I can put out more watts than 145 average.
Transition 2
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

Was very happy to get off the bike and start running! Took my time wiping down my feet and also used the urinal trough.

Could speed it up here but not a big deal.
Run
  • 4h 03m 39s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt great coming off the bike and after the initial down hill slowed myself down to goal pace (high 7s). Felt extremely easy which was great. Was alternating Gatorade, water with a Clif Block, and cola at the aid stations. Plan was to walk every other 1st loop, every one 2nd loop. Sun was out and the predicted rain did not seem like it was going to come. Kept dumping water down my back and ice in the hat to combat this. Got to the half marathon around 1:43 which was right on point. Things were starting to hurt but that's to be expected in Ironman. Nothing specific that seemed like it was going to derail my race was present as I started loop #2. Got down to River Road still cruising but sensed that my stomach was struggling. Stopped taking solid food and switched to liquid only. By mile 16-17 abdominal cramping started, and eventually became quite sharp and only walking would alleviate it. Mile 18 was the last one I was able to complete in under 9 minutes. It was pure damage control from there, but I could not run more than 1/4 mile without having to walk. As my goals for the day began slipping away I kept trying to get going again, but just couldn't do it. Very frustrating considering how well things were going towards a great time.

I think I may have drank too much cola early in the run. It wasn't very flat which is not ideal. I mainly took it because I wanted something that tasted good. Sounds very stupid now, and likely cost me under 11 hours, possibly even more. Next time I will not suddenly wing my nutrition, which is so out of character for me to begin with.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt pretty awful after the final 8 mile death march and not being able to take in much over that time (almost 100 minutes duration). Sat down and tried to get some water and nutrition in. The chocolate milk went down okay but food made me nauseous. I went to the massage tent and sipped on a Coke instead. Feeling better I then was able to eat some more before heading back to camp to clean up and change. Came back to town for the midnight finish line - nothing better!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

GI breakdown on the run, specifically the sharp cramping. If I could've averaged even 11 minute miles over the final 8 I would've been under 11 hours, but the cramping would not allow this. I was already planning to do this in 2020, but now I really feel like I have unfinished business.

Event comments:

Love this town and race atmosphere. Already signed up for 2020!

Last updated: 2019-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:03:01 | 4224 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/237
Overall: 144/2385
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Two rectangle loops in Mirror Lake, buoys on right.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:01
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:50:00 | 112 miles | 19.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/237
Overall: 0/2385
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Two loops with 3 out and backs (Bobsled, Haselton, 86 past Northwoods). Steady climbing after the initial drop out of town to the big Keene descent, flat on 9N, turn left into steeper climbs on 86 to the Haselton out and back, through Wilmington to the notch, and back into town.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:03:39 | 26.2 miles | 09m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/237
Overall: 0/2385
Performance: Below average
Course: Steep downhill right out of transition then pretty flat before another down to the rolling River Road, back that way and past transition for a shorter out and back on Mirror Lake Drive. Repeat, finish in the oval.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes