General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just finished first Sprint Tri, what next? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-08-01 7:59 PM

Subject: Just finished first Sprint Tri, what next?
Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for all your helpful advice to get me through my very first Sprint Tri! I had so much fun and can't wait to sign up for the next one in early November this year!

But first, where I am now: I had written a few developments that happen a week before race, I developed some lung congestion and shortness of breath and was struggling from uphill biking and running due to this, during the week and on race day. Chest xray and bloods all came back normal, possible asthma symptoms from training outdoors says Doc.

Also, I totally screwed up my swim distance (pool swim), 18 laps of 50m not 25m! So I showed up on race day having to swim twice the distance (crawl/freestyle) from what I trained for,( 900m instead of 450m) lol. Fortunately I managed to do this and nonstop, woohoo! Highly advise studying race distances carefully beforehand. :P

Bike went better than I expected, I didn't struggle as much uphill with my current shortness of breathness and I beat my anticipated times. I was mindful of saving my legs for the run too.

The Run WALLOPED me. Firstly, it was about 15 degrees hotter than I've ever trained for and 1/3 of it uphill and I was struggling with breathing. I didn't manage to run as well as I did during training at all and spent a lot of time walking.

So knowing where I am, I would like to tweak my training plan to prepare for my next Tri in November. It will be an Open Water Swim, my first! I think my training will need to be a bit more swim and run focused. Definitely the latter since it was my weakest leg and it really dragged down my times.

I tried creating a training plan from the custom one here on the site but it was showing workout distances instead of times to train in. I'm used to Joe Friel's beginner plan which was all in workout times. I've checked out the 13 week sprint plan too but it doesn't have a ton of detail compared to Friel's plan that I was using. Should I just modify and merge the two? What are some other options I should explore? I have almost exactly 3 months till my next Tri Nov 3rd.

Thanks in advance!
Amy

2019-08-01 9:58 PM
in reply to: #5261466

User image

Subject: RE: Just finished first Sprint Tri, what next?
Congrats on finishing! Every race throws a curveball or two at you it seems.

I would say don’t automatically assume your run fitness is way off. Having to swim that extra distance may have taxed you more than you think. Swim fitness is more about finishing the swim portion, it’s about setting up the rest of your race.

Definitely get some open water practice in. A lot of pool swimmers freak out in open water when there’s not a wall to grab on to or a line to follow in the water.

As far as training plans, if you like the one you did this go round, I’d stick with it. Consistency is your biggest asset as a newbie, and veteran for that matter! Putting in the time and miles will pay off.

2019-08-02 12:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Parkland As far as training plans, if you like the one you did this go round, I’d stick with it. Consistency is your biggest asset as a newbie, and veteran for that matter! Putting in the time and miles will pay off.

^^  You won't get better advice than that.  Learn to enjoy it first.....then worry about the other stuff.

Almost forgot.....congrats on your first!  Hopefully you will have a long and enjoyable "career".

Edited by Left Brain 2019-08-02 12:07 AM
2019-08-02 6:23 PM

Thanks guys for the wishes and advice! I am happy to stick with my original plan but it's designed for couch-to-sprint. Meaning it's assuming I can't run more than 2 mins continuously or swim more than 2 laps, etc.

How do I keep my current abilities if I have to go back to running intervals in the beginning of the training plan? I think the bike is easy to modify and the swim too - stretching the final to 750m and adding in actual open water swims.

I'm mostly concerned about the run and making sure I don't compromise the rest weeks...

Thanks in advance!

2019-08-02 7:50 PM

User image

Pro

"My run WALLOPPED me"

That's why!   You are not ready to move on......patience with the run....ALWAYS patience.  Moving on in run training before you are ready IS THE #1 CAUSE OF INJURY IN TRIATHLON......believe it. 

Edited by Left Brain 2019-08-02 7:51 PM
2019-08-06 3:52 PM

Left Brain,
Advice duly noted, thank you! Will proceed reign in my eagerness and proceed with caution and patience!

-Amy

2019-08-06 6:25 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by rotipom Left Brain, Advice duly noted, thank you! Will proceed reign in my eagerness and proceed with caution and patience! -Amy

Amy - be eager, be excited, throw caution out the window, it's no way to live.......but patience, always keep patience.

You did a triathlon!!  And now you are training for another, and hopefully many more......that's pretty damn cool.....give it the time you deserve. 

I haven't done a triathlon in 5 years although I have been around it more than ever with my kid.....but next year I turn 60, and will do another.  I'll be able to say I ran triathlon for 5 decades of my life from my 20's to my 60's.  That's good enough for me. 

My Uncle is 70 this year.....he got me started all those years ago.  He's on the podium every time he races now.....it's hysterical.  He was a perennial back of pack guy his whole life.  Not anymore. LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2019-08-06 6:28 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just finished first Sprint Tri, what next? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Completed my first sprint-What's next?

Started by Kmabela
Views: 835 Posts: 7

2019-06-04 2:44 PM marysia83

what to wear for first tri -pool swim

Started by Kiwi Spud
Views: 1478 Posts: 13

2019-04-21 8:39 PM Hot Runner

First Tri, bouyancy shorts?

Started by JS226
Views: 811 Posts: 5