Town of New Shoreham
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 29s
Overall Rank = 186/323
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/19
Pre-race routine:

this is the most wonky pre-race routine of my tri career.

woke up at 3:30 in the morning to drive to Point Judith to get on the 6 am ferry. i took a nap on the ferry. i got to Block Island and rode over to the beach. registered and got my stuff all sorted out.

i learned then that it was a beach run. so once i was set up, i debated on running in sneakers versus barefeet, as well as wetsuit verusus non-wetsuit.

i remembered setting everything except the baby powder in my new cycling shoes.
Event warmup:

i did a warm up on the sand, but i had the time, and i should have done a road run to get really warmed up, and then gone to the beach to get used to running in sand. i had some issues in the warm up with the sand and my calves cramping.

i then went for a swim, without wetsuit, and i'm glad i did. i didn't swim as long as i had wanted to, but i was a little worried on time. I had to go back to transition for something, but i can't remember now.
Swim
  • 10m 5s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

this was probably the best swim i've ever had. The water was cool but not cold, and it was crystal clear.

i ran to the water, and then dove in. i started off kind of even, and then pushed it to get past a few guys. I realized i felt good, so i kept that pace for the entire swim. my watch had me at a 1:28 average pace with the fastest being about :46 but that was most likely the run to the water.
What would you do differently?:

nothing. not one single thing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

i swam good, but i had a bit of an issue getting going on the beach to get to T1. i sort of walk/jogged the whole way in.

i also had a problem getting my new shoes on. it was the second time i wore them and i forgot to put baby powder on them so they were a little tight getting on.

i also had a ton of sand stuck to my feet, so i had to brush them off, and still didn't get all of it.

put baby powder on my shoes, get a tin to put water in to rinse the sand off. i usually don't have to worry about it, but for this race it's helpful.
Bike
  • 45m 18s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.89 mile/hr
Comments:

i struggled up the hills. i don't know if it's the chain, the gearring, or me. i rode up some of these same hills a month ago drunk, and don't remember having the same level of discomfort.

i also was going a bit too fast for the type of race and wideness of the roads. i had one very close call that was caused by a guy on a hybrid riding on the left. he didn't move over fast enough, and i went slightly over the yellow line as a car was coming in the opposite direction.

I drank almost a whole bottle of gatorade. i should have drank more.

drink the whole bottle and a half of gatorade that i had. i don't think i drank enough. especially in the heat.

clean up your chain and put lube on it. also maybe get the gears looked at to see if they are geared too high, and not suitable for climbing. although i'm probably getting a new bike this year, so talk to Brian about that.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

i got out of my cycling shoes with a bit of difficulty, but not much.

i got off my bike and into transition ok. other guys were kind of getting in my way, and i had no real way to get around them.

with a beach run there was no need to put on my sneakers, so i took off my helmet, and grabbed my hat. i should have put my race belt through my hat, it would have been faster. i did lose a bit of time here.

put race belt through hat, like i used to. one solid unit to grab and put on as you're running. way faster that way.i think i also debated about bringing a water bottle with the rest of the gatorade.
Run
  • 51m 22s
  • 4 miles
  • 12m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

did i mention it was a beach run?

no shade whatsoever, aide stations were a bit far apart too. there were two in the first half mile, and then not another one till the turnaround at mile 2. then none the entire way back.

very hot, and very sunny.
my calves cramped up in the first 1/4 mile due to running on soft sand versus the harder wet sand that was at an angle.

know the course! practice running on the sand, to get used to it. i had the fitness to run pretty fast, but not in the sand.
Post race
Warm down:

nothing. i sort of walked around. and got my breath, then went over to get some gatorade. i wound up talking to a woman and her boyfriend for a while.i saw the awards, and then the race was over.

after i packed up. i did do a cool down swim in the ocean. it was great.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

issue on hills on the bike, and not being used to running on sand.

Event comments:

It was a good race. their arent' any post race activities, but you're on Block Island and the beach is right there.

Last updated: 2019-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:05 | 440 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 97/323
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: a rectangular course. out, over and back in. ran from the sand 90 degree turn and then a run into the water. about 50 yards, my garmin had me at almost 600 yards for the swim. but that includes the run to transition. it was a bit longer than the advertised 1/4 mile swim.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:18 | 12 miles | 15.89 mile/hr
Overall: 113/323
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: a two loop course out to airport and back.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:22 | 04 miles | 12m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 272/323
Performance: Bad
Course: a one loop beach run. run course is two out and backs. the first out and back is about half a mile, and then you ran out about a mile and half and then two back to complete the run.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2019-08-05 12:51 PM

New user

Subject: Block Island Triathlon

2019-08-05 7:26 PM
in reply to: #5261535

User image

Subject: RE: Block Island Triathlon
Thanks for the race report. I grew up in Western MA and have been thinking of combining the Block Island race with a trip home. I'm not a fan of beach runs, but still maybe worth it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Block Island Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Fiesta Island Time Trial Series

Started by Tri-a-betic
Views: 531 Posts: 1

2019-01-20 6:38 PM Tri-a-betic

Oakland Triathlon - International Course

Started by apollo1973
Views: 719 Posts: 1

2018-08-19 5:41 PM apollo1973