General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR, Pace, and Recovery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-08-09 8:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska
Subject: HR, Pace, and Recovery
Hi BT!

I'm getting back into the swing of things and getting back to building consistency/endurance/etc/etc.

The rest of this week I was run/walking and keeping my HR in Zone 3&4. My pace was right around 15 min/mile. Today, as a recovery day, I planned on doing a fast walk and keeping it in Zone 2. Given how fast my HR comes up when I'm running, I figured that would be a good plan, give my legs somewhat of a break, but still do something AND build the consistency of getting my butt out of bed and doing something.

Instead, after a brief blip into zone 2 right at the beginning, my HR locked into about 85-90 bpm, and wouldn't budge. It didn't matter if I was climbing a hill or pushing my cadence as fast as I could, my HR didn't budge. I finished my 3 miles with a 16 min/mile so I wasn't slacking off much more compared to my "run" times.

My question then is this - for my recovery days, if I'm still running, should I push into a run and try and get into zone 2? Or just keep it nice and simple and don't worry about my HR staying in Zone 1 for recovery days.

Thanks for the advice! It's good to be back!
Erin

2019-08-09 7:23 PM
in reply to: #5261635

User image

Subject: RE: HR, Pace, and Recovery
Congrats on getting back into it! It’s so easy to get in a rut and stay there.

I wouldn’t stress too much about HR on your recovery days. I think the biggest thing is just to get the legs moving and some blood pumping to the muscles that have been taxed during the prior workouts.

Once you get back into the serious training, you may need to pay more attention to your HR. Right now I would just focus on getting the work in and listen to your body.

Have fun and ramp it back up slowly. Injuries stink!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR, Pace, and Recovery Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Exhaustion/Short breath - bad recovery or something else?

Started by Ponchieman
Views: 723 Posts: 17

2019-07-19 8:25 AM jnuger

Pacing + Hydration advice needed for sprint event in heatwave

Started by Alpal
Views: 904 Posts: 10

2018-10-31 9:20 PM ziggie204

Swim Pacing and Fatigue?

Started by LiftAndShoot
Views: 1010 Posts: 8

2018-09-13 4:02 PM TriJayhawkRyan

Do You Use Recovery Compression Boot? Pages: 1 2