General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Opinion- Giant OCR 3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-08-13 7:42 AM

Subject: Bike Opinion- Giant OCR 3
I am looking for a cheap beginner bike to ride before I go all in and buy a more expensive one. I don’t know a lot about bike brands and what not, so I am not sure if I found a good one. It is a Giant OCR 3 with sora shifters, triple front 8sp rear and estimated the year around 2010/2011. They’re asking $250

2019-08-14 10:00 AM
in reply to: Lexr22

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Bike Opinion- Giant OCR 3
You will struggle with those components. Sora is just not the Shimano quality you would expect. I've been wrenching bikes for close to 25 years and every time I see a Sora bike I cringe. I know no matter how well I set it up, it won't stay for the long run.

I can understand the temptation to spend $250 on a bike, but I would much rather find 105 equipped bike. Plus find 8 speed components will be very difficult...
2019-08-14 3:05 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Lexr22 I am looking for a cheap beginner bike to ride before I go all in and buy a more expensive one. I don’t know a lot about bike brands and what not, so I am not sure if I found a good one. It is a Giant OCR 3 with sora shifters, triple front 8sp rear and estimated the year around 2010/2011. They’re asking $250

There are lots of bike companies that make a really good bike.  The advise I got for getting a good deal on a bike is to NOT shop by bike brand.  Giant, Felt, Specialized, Cervelo, Orbea, Quintana Roo, Kestrel, Cannondale, Juji, Triad, Scott, and a dozen others that I am missing make good bikes.  You will see the pros on all of those brands and more.  Focus on finding something that fits you well first.  There are Bike Blue Book websites were you can look up the value of any bike that fits well to see what type of price you should be paying for it.  If you don't pay more than it is worth, after riding for a season or two or three you will be able to resell the bike without being out more than the minimal wear and tear you put on the bike and will be able to get a new bike that will address things that you found you either liked or didn't like about the first bike. You can go ahead an invest is a good seat and in a good wheelset.  Any time you sell a bike you can swap them out and then mount them on the new bike.  My first bike was a 61cm bike.  It was a little bigger than what was a good fit for me.  When Shopping for my 2nd bike the 56cm or 58cm frame were what fit me best in most bike models (but there were one or two 61's.  I ended up getting a 57cm frame that was an upgrade from aluminum to Carbon fiber and an update from 650C wheels to 700C wheels.  The first was a Cannondale and the second a Kestrel.  Both bikes are really fast and have good component sets and so forth.  

2019-08-14 8:34 PM
in reply to: #5261757

User image

What is your budget? For around $500-$600 you can find some really good used bikes with better components and probably 10-11 speed gearing.

FWIW, I have a Fuji bike equipped with Shimano sora triple deck and 8 speed cassette. It would be an ok bike for commuting or to serve as a trainer bike, but not as a race bike. The triple chain ring up front is basically phased out and an 8 speed cassette will leave some big gaps in your gearing usually.

I’d hold out and save up for something else. A Cannondale CAAD 8 or CAAD 10 is a good bike to find used. Solid bike, good components, and well priced.
2019-08-20 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Can you test ride it?
I always advise athletes:

Sizing depends on the road bike brand and tri bike brand and it's not always true for everyone. Some people have longer arms, shorter inseams, etc. Best advice is to test ride the tri bike if you can and see how you feel on it. For example, I am a 56/58 road frame and was a medium for a Specialized transition and a 58 for QR PR6. Just depends on the brands and it's not a universal rule from one brand to another.

Do you have a local bike store that has a fitter type person that can eyeball you on the new ride?

Do you have access to a fitter that's not out of a bike shop? Ask around. Odds are your friends know someone that can help.

Are you close to a manufacturer, or will be? Chattanooga is home to QR and you can visit their shop any time and get info straight from the horse's mouth!

Most bigger races have bike brands with a tent. Hit them up, try out a size, see what fits and maybe it's a brand that works for you.

Ebay and Facebook buy and sell groups are gold. I prefer local as you can test ride, but you can have wide access to a lot of options you may not otherwise be able to get to. Ebay is great as you have the backup of a major retail site if you get the bike and it's not what you thought you should get. Keeps buyers and sellers in check.

Retul fitters sometimes have a setup that's "universal" that they can fit you to then recommend manufacturers that will fit you better than others. Trek may not be for everyone. Cervelo may work for your buddy and not you. It's pricey, but may save you some hassle and mistakes down the line.

ALSO be aware of the axle type. Have a trainer and want to keep using it? If you get a disc bike or through axle setup, it may not work or you need an adapter. Don't get gang busters for a new rig and realize it doesn't fit your setup.
2019-08-22 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by Lexr22

I am looking for a cheap beginner bike to ride before I go all in and buy a more expensive one. I don’t know a lot about bike brands and what not, so I am not sure if I found a good one. It is a Giant OCR 3 with sora shifters, triple front 8sp rear and estimated the year around 2010/2011. They’re asking $250

Back in 2009 my first road bike had Sora components, a triple front and probably 8 on the rear cassette as you mention. Sora is near the bottom of the Shmano family Sora>Tiagra>105>Ultegra>Dura Ace.

But for me the Sora worked fine. It wasn't the smoothest of mechanical shifting but I did two years worth of racing without headache. I quickly weaned myself of the small ring (granny gear) and just used the two larger rings in the front.

But if you use bicycle blue book website, I think you can find bike values in the $250-300 range for 2011 made bikes that have at least 105 level components.

As mentioned before, brand is not so much a factor as the level of components, namely the shifters and derailers.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Opinion- Giant OCR 3 Rss Feed