Ironman
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 37m 2s
Overall Rank = 1280/2173
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 44/103
Pre-race routine:

My pre race routine is pretty standard: get up, force down a bagel with peanut butter, sip a bottle of scratch.

We timed it perfectly this year so we didn't have a whole lot of time to stand around and get nervous. I got to transition and went to check bags and tape up my friend's bike bag because an over zealous volunteer ripped it showing her how to open it in the changing tent.
Event warmup:

I forced my friend to get in the water with me at least to get wet. The water temp was perfect - on the cool side but not cold and the weather was overcast but not foggy.
Swim
  • 1h 25m 30s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first rolling start and I was a little nervous. We lined up at the back of the 1:20-1:25 group fully expecting to go 1:30 but was hoping to catch some fast feet in the group ahead.

The start was continuous but methodical. No one ran in and there was no chaos. It was kinda nice. I didn't do a great job drafting directly behind someone but I think that because we ALL got in the water together it was one continuous draft until the turn buoy.

Usually at this race you get the washing machine affect right after the turn but this time - nothing. The whole swim was calm and smooth - but seemed to go on forever so I was SHOCKED to see I set a 5 minute PR on this course (the only IM Swim I've done as Choo was cancelled).
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Maybe not blow off some of my OWS during training :)
Transition 1
  • 08m 28s
Comments:

It's hard to compare prior years because they shortened the run from the swim exit to the tent but I think this transition was decent considering I changed shorts (do you know how hard it is to change out of wet shorts into dry ones?) (2015 12:09 and 2016 10:48)

OH and I stopped to pee. Figured I'd rather sacrifice my T1 time rather than my bike time :)

Nothing
Bike
  • 6h 39m 17s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.83 mile/hr
Comments:

This frustrates me because I feel like biking is my strong suit and I can do so much better. I'm getting back to the fitter next spring along with my PT to address what I think may be some of my issues. Only took me 4 years to figure some of it out.

One of my friends who has done this course twice before came to sherpa. It was AWESOME. She had her bike and was moving around the course and was everywhere taking pics and yelling inspirational things like "move your ass!" She was also texting my coach so I'd get tidbits like "coach says drink water and take salt" when sherpa told her it was getting warm.

However, I had a decent bike at a half earlier in the season and a GREAT bike at Choo last fall so coach says success creates success so with that, although my bike wasn't as great as I would have liked it, for the most part I felt ok and got a 36 minute PR for this course.

I have to figure out how to ride more consistently for a low VI.
Transition 2
  • 05m 36s
Comments:

About the same +/- 30 seconds for IM t2 including costume changes.
Run
  • 5h 18m 11s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

43 minute run PR. Boom.

I'm not a runner. I don't like running. I never want to run a stand alone marathon.

Having said that, I had some really good training runs this summer leading up to today and I had a good feeling about my chances for a PR.

I exited T2, saw my mom and some friends which was neat and headed out to the hills. I had a plan: Walk the hills and aid stations and run the rest (or as much as I could). I felt ok on the first loop. My stomach got a little wonky early on. Hit a portopotty (nothing really significant here to report ;) ) and then continued on. I went through the usual "I don't want to be here" yadda yadda yadda but it never got to be that bad.

If you've been there before you know the restaurant/hotel on the corner just before you duck into the rail trail? Well Sherpa parked herself there with a drink and made friends with everyone on the patio. So whenever one of us from my tri club (about 15) ran by, the WHOLE PATIO would yell "GO RANDEE." I think she was there for 3 of the 4 times you go by it! Again, she was so awesome!!

Going through the village at the start of loop 2 is just amazing. SO MANY SPECTATORS and saw so many friends along the cobblestones.

I went down the red carpet towards the swim exit, took the left towards the red bull arch and hit the hill and started walking. I was walking with a few guys up the hill and I told them "trail runners walk the hills. That's my story and I'm sticking to it." They all liked that!

There was 1 guy who I was chatting with for the next half mile or so and we would go back and forth. We hit a downhill and he was still walking so I said "c'mon, free speed, it's downhill, let's go." Finally I said "Gregg you go ahead and have a good run. I'm sure you're going to be faster than me." He said "I'm enjoying talking with you and I like your plan of walking the hills and the aid stations so let's run this together." I said "ok!"

I can't even tell you how much Gregg helped me on that run. There had to be at least 3-4 times I said "go ahead I don't want to slow you down." And he was like "nope, you made me run down that hill now let's go." There were so many times I really wanted to walk but I didn't want to slow down his run. This was his first IM and I didn't want to be the person that killed it - so we ran.

And by having someone to run with and chat with my mind never really went to that dark place I think we all go in the second half of an IM run.

I knew I was doing well but I didn't look at my watch much and I never got overly excited because anything can (and does) happen in an IM run. I did share with him I was headed for a PR and my goal was to finish in daylight. When we got back into the village with a mile or so to go we hit a hill. "I said this is a hill, we walk." By this time the sun had gone down and it was nearly completely dark. He said "nope, run, you can do it. There is still ambient light and we can get you your daylight finish." And so we did. We got to the last stretch and I said "go ahead and have your moment at the finish." I gave him a few seconds and followed behind.

We double high fived at the finish but I lost him after that (got him on Strava and Facebook so I'm sure I'll get my chance to thank him again).

I owe that run PR to him.

Post race
Warm down:

I went right to the watermelon and said "can I have a lot of that?" They said SURE and loaded me up.

I got my stuff and wandered around a bit and eventually found Phil who missed my finish because without his phone he didn't realize I was about an hour behind him (he didn't have a great run due to GI issues). We got lots of pics and waited for friends and had a great time in the finish tent - poutine aside - BLAH.

Event comments:

It's Mont Tremblant - what can you say?! The worst part is driving through Montreal to get there :)

I'm glad I finally had a decent race there - and oh yeah, a 1 hour and 28 minute PR.

Last updated: 2019-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:25:30 | 4224 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/103
Overall: 0/2173
Performance: Good
Suit: Yep
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:28
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:39:17 | 112 miles | 16.83 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:18:11 | 26.2 miles | 12m 08s  min/mile
Course: 3 miles out of town is hill which leads into a mostly flat rail trail out and back totaling 6 miles and then 3 hilly back into town, through the village and then out for loop #2.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2019-08-20 7:53 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: Ironman Mont Tremblant

2019-08-20 8:24 AM
in reply to: #5261911

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: Ironman Mont Tremblant
great race and congrats on the many PR's!!
2019-08-20 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

GREAT JOB!!!! I thought it was really cool that you and Gregg had a good run together and kept pushing each other. I think you should celebrate your 36 minute bike PR a bit and not be down on your biking. Keep moving forward, but celebrate the victories.

Congrats on knocking an hour plus off your previous best. You rock.

2019-08-20 10:13 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

An hour and 28 minute PR?!  YOU ARE AWESOME, YOU ARE AN IRONWOMAN!!!  Seriously, that is a HUGE PR!!  It is amazing how the support of others can buoy our spirits and keep us smiling and positive, as you found in your friend and new pal Gregg.  Big congratulations to you, Randee!

2019-08-20 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Awesome! Congrats on your day..!
2019-08-20 12:11 PM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by alltom1 Awesome! Congrats on your day..!

Such an awesome job! Way to go! 

2019-08-20 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Amazing! What a huge PR! Congratulations, Randee.
2019-08-20 7:16 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Absolutely amAzing day, Randee!!
2019-08-21 5:58 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Thanks all. I'm still pretty excited about it
2019-08-21 7:50 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Wow! You destroyed it, congrats!!

2019-08-22 6:32 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Whoa, great race! And really great run! "move your !" - the best kind of coach and friend. Way better than the "you can do it" type

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Mont Tremblant Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Mont-Tremblant

Started by IronOx
Views: 890 Posts: 7

2019-07-08 8:08 AM awm007

Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City

Started by dtoce
Views: 1147 Posts: 2

2018-09-24 2:47 PM JoelO