General Discussion Race Reports! » Diamondman Challenge - Oly Aquabike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Diamondman Challenge - Oly Aquabike - Aquabike

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bear, Delaware
United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 49s
Overall Rank = 4/6
Age Group = M overall
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

First race in over four years. Spent the summer getting into pretty good overall shape with a general focus on cycling and swimming, but with lots of flexibility and strength/core training as well. Had a really good August training-wise and decided to enter an Oly aquabike. I've done this triathlon a couple of times in the past (the sprint version). It's a perfect course for me...pond wetsuit-legal swim and a pancake flat bike course.

Taper was too short - only about 7-8 days after the biggest training week I've had in years. We also walked probably 10 miles touring a college the day and flying home the day before...certainly not optimal.

Slept kind of meh the night before but work up naturally 5 minutes before the 4:15 AM alarm. Had an English muffin and an apple with coffee for breakfast and we packed up our gear for the 50 minute drive up to Lum's Pond.

I've noted in previous race reports that I grew up swimming in this "lake" so it's really a comfort spot for me. On of the RDs told us the day before was crazy windy and they had trouble getting kayaking out to set up the buoys. One good thing about that wind is that it brought in cooler weather which made the race wetsuit-legal.

My 17YO (!!!!) daughter was doing her first "big girl" tri today, doing the sprint distance after previously doing the kids' race here a couple of times.
Event warmup:

Got to Lum's, picked up our packets and did the transition set up thing. It's a nice size race so there's no drama at all. Walked around and stretched a little bit but no real warm-up. Struggled into the wetsuit and did about a 100 or so to get used to the pond water and off we went. I was in a really small wave with about 8 people - the aquabikes, relays, and novices for the Oly.
Swim
  • 30m 16s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

First OWS race in five years but for some reason I wasn't nervous at all. I remembered that breathing would be awful for the first 500 meters - it always is for me. First buoy was about 150 yards out and I felt great warming up to there and sighted really well. 2-2-4-sight stroke pattern worked great. Turned left and now we're right into the sun and it was impossible to see anything so the next 300 was awful and that's when my breathing went crazy. Total hyperventilating so I mixed in a little backstroke. Those "I need to quit now!" thought are really tough to push down but I know I'll feel better so just keep swimming.

Turned left again and another 100 or so to the next buoy...did OK but my sighting was kind of crappy. The next 200 was awesome - 5 feet of water so you could stand! I walked a little bit here and there and swam it pretty hard.

Turned left for the second loop and again had a good rhythm and sighing length. Turned again into the sun and all hell broke loose again but I just played a bunch of mind games to get through it and sighted a LOT. Once I got to that next turn I knew the end was in sight and I picked up the pace. One more turn then a hard 200 and out of the water about 29 flat.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe sight a little better but all-in-all really pleased with that PR of about 90 seconds.
Transition 1
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

I was treating the race as a swim and bike time trial separated by a short break, so I wasn't really cranking through transition

Nothing - planned on being slow (and I was!)
Bike
  • 1h 11m 31s
  • 23.1 miles
  • 19.38 mile/hr
Comments:

First mile was getting out of the park and I treated it as a warm up. Plan was to go faster/harder each loop.

I could tell during the warm up that my legs didn't have a lot of snap in them, probably from the too-short taper and walking about 10 miles the day before.

Wanted to hold around 230-240 watts and 20 mph on the first loop. Good to go on the first but that only produced about 19 mph but I'm on a road bike with no aerobars. I passed a ton of people and was passed by the elite sprint racers like I wasn't moving (they started after us). Got through the first loop and my legs were feeling a little better so I started pushing the slight uphills a bit.

Got through the second loop and my legs, left hip, and back were beginning to protest a bit so I told them to shut up and I pushed a little harder, hoping to hold 260 for the final loop. Couldn't quite get there - more like 245 or so. Never got my HR up anywhere near redline and didn't have it in me to do so. I pushed/kicked a little and there was no one near me so just coasted in.

1:09:30 moving time, so about 20 mph exactly. 239 average watts for 70 minutes, 245 average on the final loop so negative split.

Taper better and not walk ten miles the day before
Post race
Warm down:

Seized up pretty good afterwards. Walked around a bunch and watched my daughter finish the sprint tri. We then took our time getting our crap out of transition, ate a little of the post-race spread and drank a bunch of water. I stretched about 100 times over that half-hour.

Then we drove home and watched the Ravens CRUSH the Dolphins. Then I sat in a hot tub for an hour. :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited taper and a crappy lead-up to the race, but college visiting trumps my race needs. :-)

Event comments:

Kinetic sports runs this race now, formerly run by Setup Events, then before that by Piranha Sports like forever. Still a great local race - about 300 racers all-in so a decent size but it's also not overwhelming to beginners.

Will definitely do this race and this company again.

Last updated: 2019-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:16 | 1500 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 4/6
Performance: Good
Suit: Promotion
Course: 2-loop more or less retangular
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:03
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:11:31 | 23.1 miles | 19.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 4/6
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: out of the park, three loops, back in the park
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2019-09-09 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: Diamondman Challenge - Oly Aquabike

2019-09-09 9:44 AM
in reply to: #5262380

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Diamondman Challenge - Oly Aquabike
sounds like a great time! Glad you had such a good first race back experience!
2019-09-10 1:32 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Diamondman Challenge - Oly Aquabike

How fun getting to race 'with' your daughter, I hope she had a fun day!  Congrats on your return to racing!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Diamondman Challenge - Oly Aquabike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chula Vista Challenge

Started by schmiddyboy
Views: 388 Posts: 1

2019-08-12 6:45 PM schmiddyboy

Pat Griskus-Sprint (Oly/DU/Sprint-options)

Started by dtoce
Views: 771 Posts: 1

2019-06-15 2:15 PM dtoce

Oliver Half Iron & Aquabike

Started by IronOx
Views: 796 Posts: 2

2019-06-10 11:55 AM marysia83

Devil's Challenge Triathlon

Started by benwehmann
Views: 947 Posts: 1

2018-09-20 5:24 PM benwehmann