General Discussion Race Reports! » Enchanted Circle Century Bike Tour Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Enchanted Circle Century Bike Tour - Cycle

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Red River, New Mexico
United States
Red River Chamber of Commerce
Total Time = 8h 03m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up early, made Go Juice in Blender, and sipped it during shower and dress. Drove in Dark and Fog, past Eagle Nest to Red River from my brother's place in Angel Fire.
Chamois Butt'r and clean up, in restroom at Red River, then eased out, wearing arm and knee warmers.
Event warmup:

Left 1:15 early from Start, due to significant Rain in Forecast. Was not sure I'd be able to go more than the 65miles or so back to brother's place in Angel Fire... but figured I'd make that call once I got to that turn off.
'Warm Up' was the 13miles downhill to Questa, passing one rider on the way.
After making the turn, super happy to find Aid Station #1 was already open, I got cup of water, guy there took my knee warmers, and told me I was 4th rider through there.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 100 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Did the math on my Two 30oz bottles the night before, and realized they total 3.75 lbs, or as I thought of it, "Almost 4 Pounds!".
So I left them in the Fridge, and planned to hit every Aid Station, but carry minimal anything.
Drank cup at Aid Stations 1 and 2, at Questa, and Arroyo Hondo, but completely missed Aid Station in Taos- which I was told later (by someone who did not do the race) that it was at Taos Cyclery, but I LOOKED RIGHT AT Taos Cyclery, and saw no Aid Station!
So IDK where it was and MUST find out for next time.
Hit a Gel in early part of Taos Canyon- because I felt I HAD to. Then LUCKILY saw someone walking from one building to another in the Canyon at a Camping Park, and jstu asked them if they sold water! They did, and bought 2 small bottles! So made it through to top of Pass there, at 9100ft.

When I stopped for water at the RV Camp I was still in 4th, having passed another person at the Aid Station 2, and had one person go by us both while we were stopped at that Aid Station along the Road at Arroyo Hondo- where I was putting my Arm Warmers in a bad and giving them to the Aid Station. But while I was getting that water, I saw the first groups of the very fastest riders who had started at 8am going by, so was probably 20th, by the time I got going again.
NO one I talked to at the Aid Station at the top of 9100ft Palo Felchado, had seen/gone to the Aid Station in Taos. So SOMETHING either went wrong and there wasn't one, or it was SO badly marked a good 15 of us didn't see it at all!
What would you do differently?:

This ride is SO hard! The combo of the 15-17 (I heard someone say 19) mile climb from Taos to 9100ft Palo Flechado, followed by the ride through the valley and the 12 mile climb to 9820ft Bobcat Pass just a couple miles from the finish, has LOTS of people, all of whom were riding faster than me through the Taos Canyon, just toasted, by Eagle Nest, laying on the ground waiting for a ride!

I pushed on, but a slow leak in front tire (new tire, new tube!) made it REALLY difficult, and I stopped a couple times, then in the last Mile to Bobcat Pass, I got a ride to the near top before the guy told me he had a pump and I pumped up the tire and descended into Red River.
I LOVE this ride, the weather when clear is spectacular, and it's jsut the best/hardest Event you can do... but I MUST be in much better shape! Next Year!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

MUST be in better shape next year.
If I'm able to Ride Bike at All, then I must put in the mileage and time to do this ride correct!

Event comments:

Multiple CAT 1 And 2, 12-15 miles climbs to over 9,000ft! The last one at mile 97 of the 100mile loop.

Come Test Yourself, your riding acumen, and ability to 'hold back' long enough to actually finish this ride without just lying on the ground begging for a ride (as I saw plenty of people who went faster than me on the early climbs, doing, 18 miles from the finish in Eagle Nest!).
You've been warned!
Smile.

Last updated: 2019-09-15 12:00 AM
Biking
00:00:00 | 100 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2019-09-15 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
Subject: Enchanted Circle Century Bike Tour
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Enchanted Circle Century Bike Tour Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Morro Bay Lighthouse Century - 58m

Started by MOlsen
Views: 722 Posts: 1

2018-09-25 11:37 AM MOlsen