Max Performance
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 37s
Overall Rank = 197/355
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/18
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 6. toasted a bagel, fed the dogs and got my stuff into the car.

left just after 630 and got to the race about 7:15. got my race packet and went to transition to set up.

water was everywhere so i'm grateful i got there early as i could pick a spot without too much water.

i did however forget my socks for running.

Event warmup:

did a quick jog with some pickups.

got into the water about 5 minutes before cut off. it was tough to practice as waves were a bit rough. nothing too bad though. just made warming up tough

Swim
  • 09m 49s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

started out a bit behind everyone else. i also started my watch a few seconds afterwards as well. not really sure why i did that.

i had a bit of an issue getting out to the buoy. i didn't push like i wanted to but i think that was a good decision. i got out to the first turn buoy and was able to push a bit. i had some issues breathing towards my right which was away from the waves. i kept mistiming the incoming waves and had some issues breathing. i eventually figured it out and was able to go faster without worrying about water in the face.
What would you do differently?:

push faster right after the first turn buoy, breathe from the right sooner. all in all though, 6th in age group is pretty good.

Transition 1
  • 04m 55s
Comments:

Long run from the water to T1. i debated taking my suit off in Transition Zero as they call it. i plunked down and had some issues getting my suit off my heels, i put my shoes on, stood up and put my glasses and helmet on. and grabbed my bike and went.

Nothing. i always have issues running out of the water. i need to practice more maybe.
Bike
  • 43m 36s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.27 mile/hr
Comments:

i got out into the street and had some issues clipping my shoes into my pedals.

One of the guys i knew passed me right out of transition on a Fat Bike. I was able to keep him in my sights and eventually passed him a couple of miles later.

I had a real issue on the bike today. My Garmin kept autopausing for some reason, andi wasn't thinking and hit the next button instead of stopping it and then trying to start it. so it went over to T2 after only 2 minutes of biking.

i couldn't stay aero for very long. my neck started to kill. i need to go to Brian and get fit for the new QR PR4.. i also need to talk to Gregg and see if it's either my head position when i swim or my wetsuit in general. i did not have this issue at Hyannis that i remember, and i know that i didn't have it at Block island.

it took me a while almost 5 miles to really start pushing. i don't know if it was physical or mental. i was able to really push towards the end.

the beginning for sure.

i then had an issue taking my feet out of my shoes. it was only the second time riding outside with them, and second in a race. i had never practiced this while in my trainer.

i couldn't take my foot out of one shoe, and then the other shoe i kept taking off the pedal. i adapted and took my shoe off my fooot and carried it with me into T2.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I came into transition. dropped my shoe. racked my bike. took off my helmt. put my sneakers on and grabbed my hat and belt.

put the hat on, and belt before i left transition.

this felt slightly faster than :54 seconds, but i will take it.

nothing
Run
  • 27m 27s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off in the 8:30 min/mile range for the first mile my second mile i dropped to 9:30, and then i was able to pick it back up again.

my forgetting socks came back to bite me. i wound up with a nasty blister, it didn't pop and it only started to really hurt towards the end of the run. but i wasn't able to really push like i felt i could.

it got very hot on the run. not a lot of shade after you left the street and headed towards the causeway, and only two aid stations.

i pushed the last half mile or so, and was able to pass a few people including someone in my age group, so that felt nice.

need sneakers that i can wear sockless. i like the Ciiftons although the new clifton 6 started this blister a few months ago. i never had this issue before. i might need to get the sneakers that i used to wear instead of the Hoka One One's that i've been buying.

for shorter races sockless is the way to go if you manage. i would have lost time in T2 putting them on, and i don't feel i lost too much time on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

sat in the shade and drank some ice water. got my number and then headed to get food. i changed my mind and went to get my stuff and then get food. by the time i got back there was a long line, so i just left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

bike issues. i need to get over what ever holds me back. i can push on the run, i need to be able to get faster on the bike.

Event comments:

This is a great race. The post race activities are pretty good. end of the season and they have lots of give aways for equipment. the food is usually good, although they had a change in caterer since the last time i raced it.

Last updated: 2019-09-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:49 | 586 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/18
Overall: 146/355
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: a rectangular course we went with the current fortunately.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:55
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:43:36 | 14 miles | 19.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/18
Overall: 210/355
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: A rolling course with a few downhills and not much in the way of uphills somehow.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:27 | 03.1 miles | 08m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/18
Overall: 224/355
Course: a sliglhtly rectangular ish course with a lollipop out and back along the way, out over the causeway.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes