Atlantic City, NJ
United States
Precipitation
Total Time = 60h 00m 6s
Overall Rank = 830/2039
Age Group = W65-69
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

We stayed at Stacey's in Margate. I set the alarm for 3:00 a.m. and we were out the door by 4:15. (I had my usual oatmeal breakfast.) Bart drove Stacey and I. (Bart had signed up but was not participating because of his open heart surgery in March.) Traffic going into Bader Field was slow moving. I think we should've left at 4:00. Christine and Tammy arrived at 4:15 and said they got right in.

I had a terrific position on the rack. I was number 40 because of #AWAGATE. (I think quite a few AWA athletes did not get their priority racking.) Christine was number 38 and was right next to me. Stacey was number 99 and pretty close, too.

I was extremely disappointed when they told me that I could not bring my crate in. This is the first race since Kona and Nationals that I couldn't use my crate. Actually, I did sneak my crate in at Nationals.

I totally forgot to eat my power bar before the start. And since the swim was delayed a half hour because of lightening strikes in the area, I was getting hungry.

I wore those socks they give you in the hospital to the swim start. They worked perfectly. The footing is bad for the line up. Some people wore flip flops and threw them away.

Swim
  • 38m 33s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

They let 7 people in at a time every 10 seconds. It really was nice! The swim started at 7:00 and I got in at 7:06:43. (It was originally supposed to start at 6:30.) Christine, Tammy and I lined up towards the front (the 26-35 min group).

I really didn't want to get kicked this year so I was careful.

I wore my dark goggles. It was quite cloudy and drizzling. Sighting was not a problem (much to my amazement). I used Foggle on my goggles and it seemed to work.

Transition 1
  • 06m 32s
Comments:

I used the wetsuit strippers to start my zipper. I then ran as I pulled my sleeves down and jumped out of the rest of it at my spot. It got stuck on my ankle with the chip.

I did not wear socks or glasses since it was raining lightly at this point. I had not covered my bike stuff in transition because I wasn't expecting the rain to start so early. It was not a problem. The helmet and shoes got wet right away anyway. I also put my SpiBelt on (upside-down unfortunately), which contained mustard, BASE salt, and Aquaphor. I shoved my number down the back of my shorts so it wouldn't blow in the breeze.

There was a long run out to the bike start. It's on an uneven macadam surface. T1 also includes biking over a mile through Bader Field to get out onto the course.

Bike
  • 2h 54m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.26 mile/hr
Comments:

It was raining lightly for the start of the bike ride and got increasingly harder. By the upper loop, it was torrential. The puddles got bigger and deeper. Christine passed me about 3 miles or so in. I followed her for awhile. Normally, I can't hang with her but she was being very cautious. The problem was that you couldn't see where the potholes were because they filled with water. Also all of the painted lines were slippery.

I brought two Gatorades with me and picked up a water at the first aid station. I avoided all aid stations after that. There were a lot of newbies in attendance and the aid stations are a good place to avoid. The dead giveaway for the newbies were the age tattoos upside down. One girl had her helmet sticker on the back of her helmet.

The other problem was the people passing on the right.

I heard that there were at least 76 flat tires.

Consumed on the bike: one pack of Clif Bloks, one chocolate Power Bar, one GU. I had almost 3/4 of a bottle of Gatorade left. Took the BASE salt twice.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I was pleased with my speed. This was my fastest 70.3 bike ever and I can't even believe it.
Transition 2
  • 09m 20s
Comments:

I peed in transition. I completely Vaselined my toes and put dry socks on (thanks to putting my stuff in very large plastic bags). I put on a visor and stuffed two GUs in my pocket. No glasses. I did put some sunscreen on my arms and started applying it on the way out. I also wasted way too much time taking my SpiBelt off and flipping it. Then I decided I had too much sunscreen on my arms and went back to wipe it off with a towel. Okay, that was a really stupid move!

What would you do differently?:

Not go back!

Run
  • 2h 11m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the run and didn't feel THAT bad. I saw Frank and Bart before I got onto the boardwalk.

I took two mustards early on and some pretzels. I had a heck of a time getting those little mustard packs opened. At one point, I squirted almost an entire pack all over my hand. I really have to find a flask and just use that.

I ate one GU at about 4 miles. I had a cup of Gatorade and water at every aid station. I skipped the last one, though.

The best part was the run out on the fishing pier. It was so nice looking down at the water underneath while going up and down that pier. It was also really nice to see Bart, Frank and Judi when I got towards her condo. Frank took a few nice pictures.

After seeing them, the run was a real mind game. The sun came out approximately four miles from the end. This run is never easy!

I saw both Tammy and Christine on the run. I never did see Stacey this year.

Post race
Warm down:

Went into the hall to find my morning bag. I changed in the handicap porta pottie. It's always difficult to change with all of the cramping going on. But it is a nice relief to get out of the wet clothes and shoes. Then I grabbed two burgers and some fries. The burger reminded me of the olden days at the Effort Diner when I was in HS. Bob had brought two chairs so we sat in the shade by Starbucks. It was an extremely long wait for the awards. I couldn't take much more waiting so I got my award at about 4:40 and left. I didn't wait for the ceremony. I didn't want the World Champion slot in Taupo.

We got on the shuttle and it left pretty quickly. I gave Bob my orange ticket so he could come into transition and help me get my stuff. Then it was back to Stacey's for a quick shower, some leftovers and then onto the road home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I do the best I can and am happy that I can still participate.

Event comments:

The best cheeseburgers and fries on the planet! The RD and volunteers are good, too.

Last updated: 2019-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:33 | 1931 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 556/2039
Performance: Good
Suit: Long sleeved wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:54:27 | 56 miles | 19.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 1108/2039
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 09:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:11:15 | 13.1 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 788/2039
Performance: Average
Course: About a mile in Bader Field and then over the road to the boardwalk. I loop on the boardwalk.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes