Kinetic Multisport
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 08m 31s
Overall Rank = 113/147
Age Group = M 60-64
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night near the race site, about four hours or so from home. Got up a little before six and ate half a bagel with almond butter and sipped regularly from Gatorade. Napped a little. Packed the car and put the bike in granny gear (see bike comments later)...had a moment of stress when, in shifting, the chain popped off the ring. Took a bit to get it back on, which made a real mess of my hands, but all ended well.
Event warmup:

Not much, per usual. Set up transition, and got mildly wet when an unexpected rain shower popped up. Did get into the water to swim some in order to acclimate to water temperature.
Swim
  • 24m 57s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Told TSW to expect 25 minutes and that’s exactly what I delivered. Had hoped for a little bit better. Course felt long as I swam and Garmin showed 915 yards, resulting in a pace more in line with expectations. Thought I stayed on line, but maybe some snakiness resulted in the longer distance. Overall, though, I swam my plan, counting strokes and breathing to both sides like I do in the pool, coming up every 12-14 stroke to sight
What would you do differently?:

This is pretty much the norm for me, so not a whole lot to do differently. Maybe take easier, longer breaths, as I got just a smidge breathless toward the end.
Transition 1
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

Run to transition was quite a ways, and uphill, had to have been at least a couple hundred yards, so that was part of slower than normal time here.

Nothing. I was a little out of breath coming out of water and then having to trudge a bit uphill before I realized the route was further than I thought. At that point I started walking.
Bike
  • 58m 21s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 15.94 mile/hr
Comments:

Tough bike course. 619 feet of climbing and lots of twists and turns. Over the distance that only amounts to 40 feet or so per mile, which isn’t that much and probably accounts for the course description of “generally level”. But my Eastern Shore trained legs were not happy with the climbs, of which there were several and some of those were steep over short distances. Climbing began right out of transition; I worried all night and even on site whether I’d be able to get clipped in and get going without tipping over. I asked a Kinetic person about it and she rolled her eyes and said, “Now, you sighed up for one of toughest triathlons out there, so...this is what you get.” Apparently a lot of people had issues getting going but I managed fine and my left foot clipped on the first try. TSW got a tape of it and I actually look like I know what I’m doing. I’m actually quite pleased with my results here on this course.

Can’t think of a thing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

Any kind of flying dismount (which I can’t do anyway) was off limits here due to the downhill run into transition and the dismount line within feet of its entrance. All of that necessitated a slow dismount, and the immediate shape of my legs after the bike course put me into nothing more than a saunter through transition to my rack spot.

Jog with the bike, but my legs were kinda toasted.
Run
  • 38m 44s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew this was going to be a tough run, just looking at the elevation profile, and even before I knew how I’d feel getting off the bike. I didn’t anticipate quite this slow but I also didn’t anticipate how the first mile and a half, mostly all uphill, would feel. 291 feet of climbing on the course, almost all in the first 1.5 miles, that’s 194 feet per mile and an average grade of 3.6% over that portion. Wore my ass out and I wasn’t the only one walking the hills, and the uphill walk wasn’t actually easy! My HR hit 184 at some point during that portion. I did run/jog the downhills and walked/jogged on the remaining flats. Didn’t have the chest issue much, but the HR was elevated throughout.

Train on hills, I guess. But where to find them?
Post race
Warm down:

Man, I was cooked at the end. Just stumbled around with TSW trying to stay upright. Drank a Diet Coke, had half a banana, and ate several Oreos.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Toughness of the course, mainly due to the hills. I’ll say it bluntly: I was not in sufficient shape to manage this course. Not to suggest I’m out of shape because I don’t believe that to be the case, but without hills to train on either here or in TX, there’s just no way to be ready for this course. Proud of my bike leg, but that tanked me on the run and I just don’t think there’d have been any way around that.

Event comments:

Excellent race and a cool venue, although very difficult, probably too difficult for me. But Kinetic has it down, man. And a tremendous shout out to the guy working the race tent, a Kinetic employee, who saved my butt on the swim by introducing me to and actually applying Quick Spit (a real product) to my goggles so they quit fogging up. Finally, the volunteers from Frostburg State and Alderson-Broaddus were absolutely awesome. Great job all around.

Last updated: 2019-09-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:57 | 880 yards | 02m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 135/147
Performance: Average
Suit: Zone 3 Full
Course: Clockwise rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:58:21 | 15.5 miles | 15.94 mile/hr
Overall: 76/147
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out from the state park to a turnaround and back by same route. Although described as generally level, it seemed pretty hilly to me. Garmin showed 619 feet of elevation gain over the course. There were lots of downhills, but all matched by pretty tough uphills. Climbing began within feet of the mount line, making for a tough bike mount.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:51
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:38:44 | 03.1 miles | 12m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 125/147
Performance: Bad
Course: A sort of circuitous route through and around the camping and lakeside areas of Deep Creek Lake State Park. Tough hills, almost 300 feet of climbing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2019-09-19 1:22 PM

Subject: Savageman 20.0

2019-09-19 1:43 PM
in reply to: #5262715

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Savageman 20.0
This race sounds just brutal..way to get it done!
2019-10-03 7:44 AM
in reply to: #5262715

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Subject: RE: Savageman 20.0
Glad you enjoyed it and congrats on finishing. While not as "Savage" as the 70, none of the Savageman courses are cake walks, the sprint included.

I staffed @ the race, specifically the run course captain. Glad to not read any "I had a hard time following the run course..." comments. As an athlete myself I definiltely want people on my course to have an excellent and safe experience.

Congrats again on completing the Savage 20!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Savageman 20.0 Rss Feed