General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Computrainer with old flyhwheel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-10-08 12:43 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: Computrainer with old flyhwheel
I been thinking about trying to dust off my old computrainer as a start to get back into racing.

I still have the old blue flywheel and recently found out about the recall but does not look like I can get a new one anymore. Does anyone know if it still possible to get the replacement? I used it for years without a problem so should I just take my chances? I really want a new smart trainer but currently I can not really afford one and I think I might be a little too heavy also. I hate to spend all that money for a new one just to have it break on me.

2019-10-13 8:08 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Computrainer with old flyhwheel
Originally posted by chirunner134

I been thinking about trying to dust off my old computrainer as a start to get back into racing.

I still have the old blue flywheel and recently found out about the recall but does not look like I can get a new one anymore. Does anyone know if it still possible to get the replacement? I used it for years without a problem so should I just take my chances? I really want a new smart trainer but currently I can not really afford one and I think I might be a little too heavy also. I hate to spend all that money for a new one just to have it break on me.

The computrainer is as good if not better than anything out there in terms of durability and precision. It's not wireless but it just works. I have a CT and a Wahoo Kickr. CT is more precise and accurate

The probability of a flywheel incident is probably low but the consequences seem pretty bad.

I would try to find a used spare part from someone who's CT has died. I suspect there are some out there for parts. Maybe post on ST classifieds. My yellow controller LCD died and I got a replacement for $75 on ST

If you can't find one, see if you can build some type of protection mechanism.
2019-10-13 8:17 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
What about sound? With a 4 yo living in a condo sound is pretty important to me. Like I might be doing a lot of riding during nap time.

I know Computrainer was something my parents could hear downstairs back in the way when I lived at home and I have down stair neighbors.

I did find another email and they responded but thinking I have a velodrome. I will hope see if they will help me with my computrainer.
2019-10-14 9:33 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by chirunner134
What about sound?

Not a problem at all. I just turn up the music....just kidding

I think anything will go through floors to the room below. I know I need to crank the music equally for my CT, my Wahoo or my Kurt Kinetic.

Maybe other models that are more quiet. I don't get complaints but my unit is in the basement and I think vibration goes down more than up.
2019-10-14 2:24 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by chirunner134 What about sound?
Not a problem at all. I just turn up the music....just kidding I think anything will go through floors to the room below. I know I need to crank the music equally for my CT, my Wahoo or my Kurt Kinetic. Maybe other models that are more quiet. I don't get complaints but my unit is in the basement and I think vibration goes down more than up.

Get a really good exercise mat - like a good, thick yoga mat - and run it on there.  That'll absorb any vibration noise that would transfer through the floor.  The more you deaden the room with pillows, furniture, carpet, etc., the more that will help.

Music works, too. 

2019-10-14 2:30 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
right now it would be right next to my bed. I have it on a trainer mate but its on hard wood floor. Maybe I need to get an area rug for under the mate. Waiting to see if I can get a new fly wheel first before I set it up. if it works and I like zwift then maybe once I can afford it I will try the trax neo. Sounds like that one is just the sound of the drive train. My computrainer is not the quite.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Computrainer with old flyhwheel Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How to watch old Ironman races?

Started by sonicvalley
Views: 989 Posts: 4

2018-10-14 9:10 PM Hot Runner