General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon (Swank!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon (Swank!) - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lavonia, Georgia
United States
Georgia Multisports
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 58m 57s
Overall Rank = 265/500
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 39/51
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at my parent place in Demorest, which is about 1 hr from Tugaloo SP. My wife and I woke up at 5a and took off. I ate PB on bread, banana, and cliff bar as well as a full poweraide.
Event warmup:

Got body marked, set-up at the TA, and ran for about 15 minutes. Decided not to swim for warm-up since it was colder outside than the water (81F)
Swim
  • 39m 18s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

Once again swimming is my achilles heel. This is a below average swim for my age group, but right where I was expecting to be. I thought I could do a 2:20/100 pace and that's exactly what I did. This was a wave start, and I was in the last group based on my estimated time to finish (39min). Might have held back a little too much, like my first sprint tri.
What would you do differently?:

I would say swim more, but I have. Time for more lessons... I have recently hit a plateau and need some work on my technique.

I will also fudge alittle next time on the estimated start so I can get in a higher group. Hopefully it will be much improved the second time around.
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

Came out of the water to a good crowd greeting. My wife, parents, and sister were there to cheer me on. ** That was great ** I felt good coming out of the water and into the TA, but didn't try to kill it through the T1. Found my rack nice and easy. I was really worried about that because it was more crowded than any of my previous races. Got to my station and someone had knocked over my pan of water to dip my feet - so much for that. Ditched that idea and made sure I had good nutrition/hydration. Downed a gel, two shot bloks, and a small drink. Used my new tri shoes with the single strap Shamino TR02 --- nice! So much easier than my regular R130Bs - that buckle was killin' me...

Nothing, this was about the average T1 time.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 59s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 18.65 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a very enjoyable ride! A tough start out of T1 up a hill and I remember another hill somewhere on the ride that was a good challenge. I found brilliantjoy on the course and we chatted for a few minutes (good race brilliant!) I was able to ride on my areobars most of the ride, including the hills. The rides to Edgefield I have been doing the last couple of months really prepared me for all the rolling hills on this one.

Bike more of course, but I have made some good gains in this area.
I was happy with my time overall. A difference of only two minutes separated 34th from 26th place in age group.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Had to run with the bike longer than I would have liked through the TA, but that was just the luck of the draw. Legs felt good and I tried to concentrate on finding my rack. Had a more difficult time finding it in this direction for some reason. Tri shoes came off great, running shoes, fumbled with the race belt somewhat, gel, drink, visor, roll-out!

Maybe bike with the race belt and start trying to slip out of shoes on the bike. Once again this was about the average T2 time.
Run
  • 51m 8s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay, I managed to time my mile splits during the race. This says it all...
7:45 - 8:03 - 8:15 - 8:30 - 9:00 - 9:30 (last mile+ estimated)
I really wanted to keep a 8min pace and started off well through mile 4. Then BOOM came mile 5! Wow did the wheels fall off! At mile 4 you start down a campsite area and looped back uphill. At the top of the hill was mile 5 and most people around me were walking at this point. My lack of running really showed up on the back two miles of this race...

Definitely run more. Out of the whole race, I was most disappointed in my run. Laying off the runnning for 6 weeks due to the ITB and then only running once/week the last 4 week didn't cut it. I knew there was a good chance of this...
Post race
Warm down:

Had a nice greeting at the finish by the family. I was really tired after this race. It took me awhile to cool down and be chatty with the family again after being so focused for 3 hours.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

ITB forced me to cut my running down the last couple of months. Luckily, it did not rear its ugly head during the race so I must have done a good job on the recovery.

Event comments:

Yes! My first OLY...
I was really happy about my nutirition and hydration for my first Oly. I make my goal of <3hrs. I had fun on the swim and bike, but disappointed on the run.
Overall, I had a fun time and this was a great race with good support. I plan to put this on my calendar for next year.

Last updated: 2006-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:18 | 1640 yards | 02m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 45/51
Overall: 0/500
Performance: Below average
Suit: No
Course: One big rectangle with the start and finish at the same beach. Long run along a paved path to the transition.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:58
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:23:59 | 26.1 miles | 18.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 34/51
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Nice ride out the SP across 85 and through downtown Lavonia and into Hart Co. I liked the fact that is was a mostly a loop, not really fond of the out-and-back. Good roads throughout, no shake-and-bake
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:08 | 06.2 miles | 08m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/51
Performance: Bad
Course: Run all around the SP. Ran along the main road and when down the branches to the campsite areas.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-20 5:05 PM

User image

Regular
Newton, MA
Subject: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon (Swank!)

2006-09-20 8:24 PM
in reply to: #547260

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon (Swank!)
Alright! Finally a RR. I think you had a great race considereing all the run training you lost. Congrats! First oly done, and despite the tough run, you met your goal. Good job.
2006-09-21 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Great job on the race! You still had great times even though haven't been able to put the run time in like you wanted. Even recovering from your ITB problems you're still smokin' fast (especially compared to me! Wink) 51 minutes for a 10k is still very respectable! Awesome job on your first Oly!!
2006-09-21 9:10 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Wohoo- way to break 3 hours!  Your bike split is awesome- you have gotten soo much faster!  Congrats on completing your first olympic!  Depsite your IT band injury you were still able to have a good race!
2006-09-21 8:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA

You did great on your first Oly!  Hey, you zipped past me on the bike and run.  Nice job on the bike course that was tough and hilly!  I'd say you had a great first season.  Congrats!

2006-09-22 9:06 AM

User image

Expert

Congratulations on your first Oly, and such a great time!

Swank Guy: "Out of the whole race, I was most disappointed in my run."

Someday, I hope to have such a "disappointing" 10K

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon (Swank!) Rss Feed