General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Local Training Group Forum - Who Will Be First? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-11-04 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: Local Training Group Forum - Who Will Be First?
A few years ago, in an attempt to beef up the amount of traffic and chatter in this main Triathlon Talk Forum, Ron and I decided to eliminate the state forums (Ohio, California, etc.).
Not everyone was happy about that, clearly. And a number of people didn't notice for a year or two and then they were really unhappy when trying to reconnect with triathletes nearby.

I'm proposing a pilot project for local training groups. We'll create a discussion forum thread for each community and make it easy to find.
We need a few cities or communities to go first!

Please reply to this thread with the state and nearest city/town/neighborhood (whatever makes sense) and I will set up a discussion forum for your area. Think about it like the Mentor groups - It will be a relatively small group, and people can get to know each other, and members can arrange training sessions together if they want to. Instead of a forum for each community, we will make a big forum for all the groups. And like the Mentor Groups, each community will have a single thread. We can also create a corresponding Facebook Group upon request, and we can brand it with BT and the name of your community. As this moves along, we can help collaborate on getting your group sponsored with free nutrition and things like that, so that you could become a true Triathlon Club if you need/want that in your community.

2019-11-22 5:47 PM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: RE: Local Training Group Forum - Who Will Be First?
I am in the East Texas area near Longview
2019-11-27 1:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

I can count on one hand how many Triathletes live in a 1-hour radius of me which is why I participate in the on-line community.  I feed off of others to learn the triathlon culture, learn for their experience, and to be inspired by their hard work.  The only time I get to see the "local" community is at races though.

There are well-organized triathlon clubs in Tulsa 2 hours north of me and Oklahoma City two hours west of me.  They both have group training,  facebook group, local group workouts, Strava Teams, etc. which I think is why I don't see any of them on BT, ST, etc.  There were only 2-3 of us on the Oklahoma state forum when they were up and running  Oh..there are also Oklahoma State and University of Oklahoma club teams in Stillwater and Norman for the 18-23 age athletes in the state.  

I lived in Texas when I joined BT in 2014-2015 and the Texas forum had a lot of people from the Houston areas.  I lived an hour from Austin and my parent live in Dallas and I know both of those cities are big triathlon communities.  

I personally am in McAlester, Oklahoma which is only 4 hours from Longview, TX so I could participate with CBarnes.  We may see each other at races. I would think that a Houston Thread might have enough people to hold its own group, but the full state threads brought more people together.  The discussion was often about what local races were the best, who was the best bike fitter to go to, where the best place to do workouts was, what bike shop was the best for a tune-up, etc...Many of those would be best answered by people in town own town but some were more regional type questions.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2019-11-27 1:09 PM
2019-12-01 5:53 PM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

southeast Wyoming: Laramie, Cheyenne, and surrounding towns. 

2019-12-02 9:32 AM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Im not the fastest, the most knowledgeable, or most experienced, but I'll sponsor Orlando/Central FL.
2019-12-03 11:06 PM

great

2019-12-17 9:59 PM

good
2019-12-18 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

The DC/Baltimore area has a really strong triathlon and bike culture.  I would hesitate in making it state specific as separates our greater metropolitan area into three (MD/DC/VA).

Might be chasing a train that's left the station but I'm game to participate.

2020-01-15 6:53 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Yes, I did.
2020-02-11 12:51 AM
in reply to: #5263788

User image

Veteran
Snohomish WA
Snohomish WA. I would be interested in connecting with other local triathletes.
2020-02-16 7:50 AM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
I would like to send a shoutout to NW Montana if anyone is out there. If you are out there I will be doing brick workouts in Glacier NP, on Saturdays, from around the beginning of May till middle of June. Let me know if you would like to join.

2020-02-29 9:46 PM
in reply to: RockHead

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Thanks everyone for your patience. Getting a new syncing tool set up to send workouts to BT from Strava, Training Peaks, etc. is taking more troubleshooting than predicted.

I've made a new forum called Local Training Groups.
We're trying out having people create their own threads in there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Local Training Group Forum - Who Will Be First? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

doing dual training for the first time advice please

Started by Judymella
Views: 583 Posts: 5

2019-06-10 11:07 AM marysia83

First time Training Plan Help needed...

Started by rotipom
Views: 828 Posts: 9

2019-05-07 9:21 AM TriJayhawkRyan

What Happened to the State Forum Pages?

Started by TRIMAN413
Views: 689 Posts: 6