General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Wyoming (Uber)Clydesdale looking to train for aquabike events Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-11-24 10:32 PM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming
Subject: Wyoming (Uber)Clydesdale looking to train for aquabike events

Hello fellow BT’rs! 

My name is Tom and I live in Laramie, Wyoming. I’ve joined BT because I have my sights set on completing a sprint aquabike next summer. I have swam competitively on off for a lot of my life. I also raced road bikes competitively in high school, so swimming and bicycling are my passion. 

Here is my obstacle and is a major reason why I am here. Shortly after my divorce about 10 years ago, I was at heaviest (as far as I know) at 420 lbs. In the years following, I’ve tried to do what I can to lose the weight but I’ve yo-yo’d. In the last year or two, I’ve made some really effective changes that accelerated my weightloss. My total weight-loss is currently 105 lbs, and my goal is for another 85 lbs to go bye-bye. 

October 2019

I’ve found that having goals helps keep me motivated, so this summer I made a commitment to myself to do an aquabike event. After some research, I found a sprint aquabike event in northern Colorado that I’ve made my goal.  

So I hope to pick up some great info here, to share what I know, and hopefully make a few friends along the way!

2019-11-27 6:18 PM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

Subject: RE: Wyoming (Uber)Clydesdale looking to train for aquabike events
Welcome, and good luck with your mission / quest. I was sick for the last 1.5 years and am just beginning again to train and regain fitness for long course triathlon. Do you mind sharing what brought about your recent weight loss? I am just beginning to do intermittent fasting.

Again, welcome!
2019-11-28 3:12 PM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Thanks HaydenHunter! 

My weight loss isn't a fancy diet or expensive weightloss program. I just followed a few well known pieces of advice: 

1. portion control - most of my weight gain post high school was because I was still eating huge portions but I wasn't moving like I used to. So I was taking in a lot of calories and not burning enough of them. (lower calorie count)

2. better food selection - instead of having a huge plate of fried foods or pasta drenched in cream sauce, I picked better options. More fresh veggies, leaner meats, etc. (quality calories)

3. move - I tried to get out of the house to do more; I do more stuff in the house than just sit on the couch. I've also tried to cut my time in front of the tv. (burn more calories)

I tend to follow the simple concept: calories in, calories out. 

Good luck with the training! I hope you'll share it here so I can follow along!

2019-11-28 6:50 PM
in reply to: 0

Tom,

Here it is Thanksgiving and I hear you folks in Southeast Wyoming have a little bit of snow.

Thanks for sharing your weight loss info. Yeah, I pretty much did that stuff (eating healthy and natural choices) about five years ago. We try to eat only carbs found in veggies, etc. My most recent weight gain comes from inactivity due to a health issue. I just started intermittent fasting, which essentially amounts to putting yourself into ketosis on a daily basis and going 16 hours without eating and 8 eating. You basically skip one meal out of the three you would normally eat. It's going well so far. The other part of the weight loss deal is to make sure you get your exercise during the fasting portion of the day as the idea is you burn fat instead of glycogen. I am ramping up the physical training from basically next to nothing while I was ill.

Happy turkey day.

-Gil

Edited by HaydenHunter 2019-11-28 6:56 PM
2019-12-01 5:23 PM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Hi Gil,

The snow hit us hard this holiday weekend. Today we finally saw the sun shine! I was hoping to escape the snow yesterday but I discovered that the pool was closed yesterday.. so back in the pool tomorrow after work. 

I looked into the intermittent fasting idea but after some discussion with my doctor, we agreed that it wouldn't be a good idea with my health issues. I'm just sticking to my current plan to eat less and exercise more. 

The other difficulty I've had with my training has been sickness. Everything seems to be great, and then I get a sinus infection, head cold, or a stomach bug. I guess I haven't built up my immunity for the bugs up here! 

So good luck Gil and hope to hear from you soon! 

Tom

2019-12-10 1:41 PM
in reply to: #5264334

User image

Hey Tom! Congrats on your weight loss, it sounds like you are following the tried and true methods for losing weight. So many folks end up distracted by pills, shakes, and fads. The truth is losing weight is a process all about consistency and making good choices. Your discipline in weight loss will do you well with your aqua bike training as consistency is the name of the game in endurance sports as well!

Good luck!

2019-12-30 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The Manatees would be happy to have you join our mentor group this year. While we love our current Manatees, we'd also like to grow the group a bit.  New members and prior Manatees are welcome to join us at https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=556164

And yes, we have Manatee aquabikers!

2020-01-02 6:00 PM
in reply to: Parkland

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Thank you Parkland for those kind words! I'm a logical type of guy and I know that my weight gain happened over a long period of time, so the weight loss process is going to be similarly lengthy. The key, at least for me, was breaking those old habits, finding new habits, and making those new habits a part of my new life. 

2020-01-02 7:53 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Hi Janyne!! 

Thank you for the invite to joining the Manatees! I've already hopped over there and checked out the intros. It looks a great group of people. I'll write up my own bio and post it to that thread. Looking forward to meeting the other Manatees! 

Tom

2020-01-03 6:42 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

Hi Janyne!! 

Thank you for the invite to joining the Manatees! I've already hopped over there and checked out the intros. It looks a great group of people. I'll write up my own bio and post it to that thread. Looking forward to meeting the other Manatees! 

Tom

Nice! I'll look for you over there!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Wyoming (Uber)Clydesdale looking to train for aquabike events Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Toddlers and Tri Training

Started by PDXmom
Views: 493 Posts: 5

2019-03-10 10:29 AM t_dub_meh

New Clydesdale...

Started by TRIRONMAN71
Views: 589 Posts: 5

2019-01-29 6:36 AM Hunting Triathlete

Adding strength training

Started by Heatherjbartlett@gma
Views: 571 Posts: 3