General Discussion Race Reports! » Sticks & Biscuits Thanksgiving Day 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sticks & Biscuits Thanksgiving Day 5K - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Palmyra, Pennsylvania
United States
43F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 31m 54s
Overall Rank = 481/1074
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 33/116
Pre-race routine:

Got there about 15 minutes later than I would've preferred but I still had adequate time to hit registration to get my bib and shirt, fill out my raffle tix, take stuff back to the car, and hit the porta-johns.

Met up with Cuda and she introduced me to some of her pals (peer pressure got her to the race - she'd have rather stayed in because of the wind and cold - air temp was supposedly 43 but the wind chill had it in the mid 30s). We chatted a bit, then I wished them luck and moved up a bit to a faster group. The race start was delayed somewhat for reasons unknown to me, but that was fine. National anthem was sung beautifully.
Event warmup:

A very short run from the car to the porta-john area, then some dynamic stretching and such.
Run
  • 31m 54s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 23s  min/km
Comments:

First mile: good, even though I took a phone call from my sister. She called 2x, so I wanted to make sure nothing was wrong and called her back while running, LOL. It was windy today, and in the open fields it really pushed.

Second mile: still feeling pretty good, hanging in at a decent pace but a bit off the first mile pace. Less windy in the development, but there were areas where it smacked into us. Saw Santa in his classic Bel-Air convertible, gave him a high 5 and kept on moving.

Third mile: the troubles of my past few days came to haunt me. I hadn't slept at all (no, seriously, not at all) Tuesday night. Wednesday my eating and hydration was a bit off and race morning I don't think I ate/drank appropriately. Should've had my cheese and applesauce pre-race. The wheels started falling off, people started passing me. Bleh.

OA: 481/1074
AG: 33/116
What would you do differently?:

Have better sleep/rest as well as hydration and nutrition. The other usual - be less heavy.
Post race
Warm down:

Called my sister back properly. Got food - pumpkin soup, Clif bars, bananas, Hershey candies (small), blueberry muffins (in packaging). Met up with Cuda and we got some pics with the turkey.

** I should note that all the food I picked up did not get eaten, only the soup! The rest went home. The Clif Bar rep was there with many new varieties I hadn't tried yet so I grabbed 4 bars. There were lots and lots of cases, so I wasn't overextending, plus I waited until the line was very low and most people had already passed through.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of sleep, improper nutrition/hydration leading up to the race, being a lardo.

Event comments:

I very much enjoy supporting the cause of this race (Palmyra Knights sled hockey team) and seeing the hockey kids and parents out helping/volunteering.

Last updated: 2019-10-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:54 | 05 kms | 06m 23s  min/km
Age Group: 0/116
Overall: 0/1074
Performance: Average
Course: lollipop
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2019-12-02 10:15 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Sticks & Biscuits Thanksgiving Day 5K

2019-12-03 1:22 PM
in reply to: #5264440

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Sticks & Biscuits Thanksgiving Day 5K

Congratulations on the race.  I totally blame your sister for putting you off your game

2019-12-03 1:27 PM
in reply to: #5264440

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Nicely raced! Way to overcome the lack of sleep and interriptions
2019-12-03 1:41 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmkizer

Congratulations on the race.  I totally blame your sister for putting you off your game

Ha ha ha, she tried to take the blame, too, but she is not at fault.  

2019-12-06 12:15 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Great job.

The only person I used to take calls from mid event was my grandmother. Not because I ever thought it was important but she was just so damn funny I got a kick out of saying "no Grandma, I'm in the middle of the woods right now." LOL

Tell your sister next time she calls mid race to offer motivation "MOVE YOUR !"
2019-12-11 2:04 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Great job. The only person I used to take calls from mid event was my grandmother. Not because I ever thought it was important but she was just so damn funny I got a kick out of saying "no Grandma, I'm in the middle of the woods right now." LOL Tell your sister next time she calls mid race to offer motivation "MOVE YOUR !"

Ha ha ha ha ha!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sticks & Biscuits Thanksgiving Day 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Turkey Day 5k

Started by Atlantia
Views: 712 Posts: 3

2019-12-06 9:43 AM mtnbikerchk

Invesco QQQ Thanksgiving Day Half Marathon

Started by lisac957
Views: 922 Posts: 5

2019-12-06 12:10 PM mtnbikerchk

First Colony VA Ballet 5k

Started by captantony
Views: 537 Posts: 1