General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What gear do I need for a triathlon? Specifically, Ironman 70.3 Wisconsin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-12-03 8:58 AM

Subject: What gear do I need for a triathlon? Specifically, Ironman 70.3 Wisconsin
So I have never competed in a triathlon of any sort before. I recently decided that I am going to train for a half iron man next summer. I really have no idea what sort of equipment and clothing are used other than the bike. I currently have a road bike that I use for criterium racing which I plan to add a pair of clip on bars and modify the fit for triathlon. I just have a million questions on what sort of equipment, specifically clothing, is necessary so any info helps. Thanks!

2019-12-03 10:45 AM
in reply to: #5264466

User image

Subject: RE: What gear do I need for a triathlon? Specifically, Ironman 70.3 Wisconsin
Hello and welcome to the fun!

For clothing, I would look into a two piece or one piece tri kit. You wear this from start to finish so you don’t have to worry about changing clothes unless you absolutely want to.

For the swim: wetsuit (if it’s a wetsuit legal race) and goggles. That’s it. The race provides a swim cap.

For the bike: bike, helmet, bike shoes, spare kit. sunglasses.

For the run: shoes and socks. A hat or visor. A bib number belt is nice to have but not essential. Sunglasses.

Accessories: a gps watch or some other way to track pace and time. You may already have a bike computer. Anti chafing cream, nutrition including gels and drink supplements.

It’s really not as much as you think. You probably already have 95% of all the things you need. A good tri Kit makes the entire day so much easier.

Ask away with any other questions.
2019-12-05 3:42 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: What gear do I need for a triathlon? Specifically, Ironman 70.3 Wisconsin
When I did a 70.3 I used bike shorts and jersey for the bike and then switched to running gear: shorts and a tech T. I wanted to be comfortable on the bike and for a 56 mile ride that means bike shorts with more padding than a tri kit. Note that all of this changing clothes will cost you a few minutes in transition.

On sprints I wear tri shorts and a tech T. I'm not obese but I'm no adonis and I would feel goofy in a skin tight tri kit.

Other things that stand out on my list are a number belt (get one with loops to stash a few gels). Number belts are cheap but you don't have to mess with safety pins to hold your number on. Also, you can get a simple bike computer pretty cheap, and I am a fan of my Garmin watch. Also a running visor or lightweight tech running hat.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2019-12-05 3:46 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What gear do I need for a triathlon? Specifically, Ironman 70.3 Wisconsin Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Waco

Started by Burchib
Views: 794 Posts: 4

2019-11-11 11:34 AM TriJayhawkRyan

Ironman 70.3 registration

Started by Burchib
Views: 1056 Posts: 11

2019-12-09 4:35 PM RockHead

Triathlete killed in collision with semi in 70.3 Ohio

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 539 Posts: 3