BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-01-27 8:18 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Sappho, that sounds like a very rough week. Especially horrible that your work gave you a hard time about missing. I hope this week gets better for you! Focus on yourself and what makes you feel good. Hopefully the rest falls into place.

Gretchen, way to crush your goals! Sorry to hear about your knee, but definitely good that you can continue to train. Fingers crossed PT does the trick.

2020-01-27 8:43 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Okay, goals.

1. Be consistent with training - the end of my week was still rough. I made it to the gym Saturday, but Friday and Sunday I didn't do my planned workouts
2. Get to bed by 10pm every night - Did pretty well on this until the weekend, but did it knowing I could sleep in.
3. Do at least 10 minutes of yoga every day - I ended up changing this to just two days, but still failed.

Goals this week:
1. Be consistent with training - 2 swims, 2 runs, 2 spin classes, 1 boot camp, and yoga 2 times (trying to be more specific)
2. Eat clean - Meal prepped meals except for axe night
3. No mindless scrolling on FB or IG

Already got one spin class in this morning! And yoga is on my calendar for lunchtime. Gotta get use out of this mat I bought for my office!
2020-01-27 11:37 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by sappho96

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Agree with sappho...love the attitude.

Can I borrow some good attitude please? Training has been a write-off all week. Didn't recover from the pulled muscle so no rugby, nor any riding. Got into trouble at work for being off ill with a migraine and mental health issues (thanks...) and then had another migraine Friday evening (They appear to be hormonal ladies: off to the gp for me) and have had such bad PMT I've eaten anything with fat and sugar and meat in! Oh and I slipped and fell Thursday morning bruising my knee, and hurting both my shoulder and ankle! Boo!

Fingers crossed next week is better:

1. Try and ride to work at least once

2. If leg better, go to rugby

3. Two arm workouts and no pop till Thursday (if training) or Friday if not.

Wow - that sucks and it's a BS move by your employer.  There's a big movement in the States to eliminate that sort of employer behavior but there's 150 years of industrial revolution mentality to overcome.

2020-01-27 11:40 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Recovery week - thank goodness.  Last week was brutal and I finished it up with a double spin class and a bunch of other stuff at the gym on Saturday.  I was supposed to go to Bikram yesterday but no freakin' way.

Today was a fitness test prep session, WU, 9' over/under, 2' @ 125%, then about 1' @ 150%.  Killed it.  Traveling for work this week so some easy gym work in the mornings and then my Sufferfest 4DP test on Saturday.

2020-01-27 2:11 PM

User image

Today was a fitness test prep session, WU, 9' over/under, 2' @ 125%, then about 1' @ 150%.  Killed it.  Traveling for work this week so some easy gym work in the mornings and then my Sufferfest 4DP test on Saturday.

Ok complete newbie here...sorry everyone... but can you tell me what that means? and what is a 4DP test? Thanks
2020-01-27 2:57 PM
in reply to: FishinPA

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2200m with masters this morning and then a long discussion with my coach concerning training and upcoming season and what is next. Tonight I get to spend some time tooling around looking for races!! Yes, I should have done this already, but most of the somewhat local races here don't post their schedules very early in the year. Training wise, the next thing is a run threshold test tomorrow (ugh). I did one in October and since then have been running 6 days a week, with the exception of a break around Christmas, so I'm hoping to see some improvements.

2020-01-27 8:18 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

Only 1 swim for me last week, as I continue to let my ankle heal, and sulk over the deferral. But one nice thing about not doing a 12 or more hour training week, was I got a lovely long weekend (Public Holiday on Monday here) at the beach where I caught many fishes, drank too many beers, and because the beach comes with built in grandparent baby sitters, got to be in bed till 8am every morning.

So life isn't terrible.

Gretchen While its sad to hear about the torn meniscus, I love the attitude that unless the leg falls off you will be doing Ironman regardless. If I felt I had more of a margin for error in my training, I would like to think I would have done the same. Good luck, and hope that PT takes care of everything.

Saph Your boss sucks. Hope the migraines pass quickly, they can be devastating.

me I'm not sure how the ankle is healing, So far I've had 13 days of no bike/run. and only a couple of swims. So almost complete rest. Iced regularly for the first few days, and lots of compression and support since. I feel fine most of the time, can walk etc. with no pain, have full movement with no pain, can stand up on tip toes on the injured foot with no pain. But I get random, sharp pains on the outside of my ankle, the randomness is it's usually when I'm sitting or driving or something like that, so the ankle genuinely doing nothing. My current plan is a few more days rest to get past 2 weeks, and try an easy run on Friday/Saturday to see how I go. If I can run pain free carry on, if not, 2 weeks rest is enough, so off to the quack.

Hope every one else has a good week. And good luck to Mike and Gretchen for your fitness tests.
2020-01-28 6:51 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
It is cold and dark this morning, so I decided to defer my threshold test until this afternoon, when it will be only chilly and overcast. Also...my dog won't wake up my wife this afternoon when she figures out she isn't going on this run, which is a nice bonus. Dog doesn't get to go on the threshold tests--she pees too much! I take her on all my others, but when they are for time, I gotta leave her home because she really does seem to know I'm trying to run as fast as I can and pees a whole bunch.
2020-01-28 7:23 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Good morning and happy Tuesday!

Got in about 2200 yds with my squad (just me and another girl today) this morning. Did 9x75 (50 fr, 25 stroke), then 75 easy, and then 16x25 stroke (we both did IM order 4 times).

Hope everyone is having a lovely week! Gretchen and Mike, good luck on your tests!
2020-01-28 3:30 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

1. Managed to ride in today

2. Leg still not great; will be asking GP for a physio referral next week. I have given my peroneus longus a good pull it appears. 

3. Arm workout managed, but had beer after so not managed the no pop! Lol! Really yummy Vermont Hazy

Thanks to everyone for your support; I feel a lot better about the situation with my boss (she is in an awkward position and I reacted negatively as I was upset, and based on the bruising on my leg in quite a lot of pain from the fall....it's green!!!!); going to make the most of any opportunities offered for training courses etc but whilst maintaining my dignity and sense of achievement with my progress so far. Should manage two rides tomorrow and aiming for another arm workout later in the week. I might even try a 10 mile ride Sunday (pre-rugby and superbowl) if the leg isn't too sore.

Good luck to those with tests and have a fab week training everyone!

2020-01-28 3:42 PM
in reply to: FishinPA

User image

Originally posted by FishinPA

Ok complete newbie here...sorry everyone... but can you tell me what that means? and what is a 4DP test? Thanks

Not just you, I think it must be a Sufferfest thing.

Nicole at lunch today I did a little yoga routine that I have, and it got me wondering what yoga you do? My little routine is roughly sun salutation, with warrior poses. It's quick and really gets the posterior chain along with some strength and balance work. Feel free to steal it. =)

(Hold each pose for 5-8 deep breaths, in through the nose, out through the mouth)
-Start in prayer pose, feet shoulder with apart.
-On an inhale, move arms up to raised arms pose.
- On an exhale, bend forward, keeping the back and arms & legs as straight as possible (I cant remember the name of this pose, but I love it for hamstrings & glutes).
- On an exhale, fold down into standing forward fold.
- On an inhale, step back to downward dog.
- On an inhale, slide forward into cobra.
- On an exhale, slide back into downward dog.
- On an exhale step your rt. foot between your hands and come up into warrior I.
- On an exhale, bring hands down and twist into warrior II.
- On an exhale, bring rt. hand down, and lft. hand up into triangle.
- On an exhale bring hands to either side of front foot, and find your balance.
- Next inhale, come up into warrior III.
- On an inhale, step feet together and come up into prayer pose.
(Repeat at least one more time, alternate side.)

2020-01-28 5:45 PM
in reply to: #5266334

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Run threshold test this evening. Didn’t vomit, but I sure thought I was going to a couple of times! I think I did it right. :P
2020-01-28 6:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Skied a lot over the weekend. 3 days alpine plus did a double with nordic Saturday evening. I am a lot less sore than I expected which I think comes down to how much more weight lifting I have been doing.

A little behind on plan for this week and my husband is traveling- I'll need to get up early and hit the basement gym. Not sure when to fit in runs.

2020-01-29 8:25 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Morning swim with Masters today--2650yds (I know...it should be something more even!). Lots of sprint work today. Later today, short run scheduled, but we are currently getting sleet and snow simultaneously, which I didn't know you could actually do. So, possible that run might not get done if the streets aren't clear when I get home this evening. Not chancing a broken anything trying to squeeze in a short recovery run in January. Nope, not gonna happen!
2020-01-29 9:23 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by sappho96

1. Managed to ride in today

2. Leg still not great; will be asking GP for a physio referral next week. I have given my peroneus longus a good pull it appears. 

3. Arm workout managed, but had beer after so not managed the no pop! Lol! Really yummy Vermont Hazy

Thanks to everyone for your support; I feel a lot better about the situation with my boss (she is in an awkward position and I reacted negatively as I was upset, and based on the bruising on my leg in quite a lot of pain from the fall....it's green!!!!); going to make the most of any opportunities offered for training courses etc but whilst maintaining my dignity and sense of achievement with my progress so far. Should manage two rides tomorrow and aiming for another arm workout later in the week. I might even try a 10 mile ride Sunday (pre-rugby and superbowl) if the leg isn't too sore.

Good luck to those with tests and have a fab week training everyone!

Pop = beer? I figured you just meant soda.

Also, what time does the super bowl air where you are? Sounds like a late night if you stay up for it! Who'd you decide to cheer for?
2020-01-29 9:27 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by riles32807

Nicole at lunch today I did a little yoga routine that I have, and it got me wondering what yoga you do? My little routine is roughly sun salutation, with warrior poses. It's quick and really gets the posterior chain along with some strength and balance work. Feel free to steal it. =)

(Hold each pose for 5-8 deep breaths, in through the nose, out through the mouth)
-Start in prayer pose, feet shoulder with apart.
-On an inhale, move arms up to raised arms pose.
- On an exhale, bend forward, keeping the back and arms & legs as straight as possible (I cant remember the name of this pose, but I love it for hamstrings & glutes).
- On an exhale, fold down into standing forward fold.
- On an inhale, step back to downward dog.
- On an inhale, slide forward into cobra.
- On an exhale, slide back into downward dog.
- On an exhale step your rt. foot between your hands and come up into warrior I.
- On an exhale, bring hands down and twist into warrior II.
- On an exhale, bring rt. hand down, and lft. hand up into triangle.
- On an exhale bring hands to either side of front foot, and find your balance.
- Next inhale, come up into warrior III.
- On an inhale, step feet together and come up into prayer pose.
(Repeat at least one more time, alternate side.)

Hey Riles, Thanks so much for sharing! I usually do guided videos. There is a woman here in Baltimore (Marissa Walch) who has a youtube channel I've been following. I've never met her but she teaches at the Under Armour gym and my roommate goes to her classes. As I get more comfortable and familiar, I will likely start doing more on my own, and something like this would be perfect!

2020-01-29 9:30 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to boot camp this morning. Lots of legs!

Yoga is happening today too. Thanks to Riles, I have youtube open already. Just need to shut my door (around 11:30 is when I have it scheduled)
2020-01-29 3:05 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by nicole14e

Pop = beer? I figured you just meant soda. Also, what time does the super bowl air where you are? Sounds like a late night if you stay up for it! Who'd you decide to cheer for?

Pop = any alcohol tbh, but yes Vermont Hazies this week; playing catch up after my weekend! Coverage on Sunday starts at 10pm and I have the next day booked off work as I am thinking it'll be 3-4am bed time for me. As for who to support: I like Mahomes but also love this woman's hair:

Image result for katie sowers

tl;dr: it's not the patriots so i don't mind!!!!!

2020-01-30 7:13 AM
in reply to: #5266453

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hour long trainer session this morning. Tough, but doable intervals. Later I’ll be doing yesterday’s short run that I didn’t get in because it started sleeting here unexpectedly (at least to me). No way I’m chancing an injury in January because I just had to do a short recovery run.
2020-01-30 7:46 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Y'all...I DID YOGA YESTERDAY! Freaking finally. And it felt so good and reminded me why I made this one of my goals. Hoping that was the kickstart I needed to get me doing it regularly.

Shoulder was bothering me this morning so I did a HIIT cycling class instead of swim squad. After a leg heavy boot camp yesterday, it was a rough one.
2020-01-30 11:34 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
So...this is fun.

We are getting our new roof today!!! But...no one mentioned the materials delivery guy was going to show up at 7:30, so when he did, I was just stepping out of the shower! Very quickly, I towel off and throw on some clothes, in the processes tweaking my back (not spine, more under shoulderblade area). Muscle has been spasming all day and hurts like heck when I lift my right arm. So...yes, I have an injury from getting dressed. I just took a muscle relaxant, but now I've realized I have to teach in an hour and I was just sitting here drooling. Ahhh...the "benefits" of getting older.

2020-01-30 12:03 PM

I realize I am newer to this group and that the primary purpose is triathlon - this is a BT forum after all. But there doesn't seem to be any beer talk. I had to travel to Chico, CA for work on Monday. Everyone at work was thanking me for taking the trip (it's about a 3 hour drive). What they didn't know is that I was HAPPY to go. Sierra Nevada is brewed there. The founding fathers of the craft beer movement on the West Coast. So, I loaded up my growlers and a cooler and headed to my work trip. Sierra Nevada did not disappoint - had a sampler of 4 limited release beers and a pint of one of their IPA's (Tropical Torpedo). Came home with a growler of the Tropical and a growler of this delicious beer called "Hopsichord" - an amber with tons of added hops. ABV is higher than I like (over 9%) but it is delicious. Sierra also has a newer line of beers or a partnership called "Sufferfest" with the tagline, "Will Sweat for Beer".

Anyone else have any good beer stories lately?
2020-01-30 1:02 PM

User image

Originally posted by nicole14e

Y'all...I DID YOGA YESTERDAY! Freaking finally. And it felt so good and reminded me why I made this one of my goals. Hoping that was the kickstart I needed to get me doing it regularly.

Shoulder was bothering me this morning so I did a HIIT cycling class instead of swim squad. After a leg heavy boot camp yesterday, it was a rough one.

YAY YOGA!

I've been trying to get back into doing yoga regularly, I'm going to set a goal of once a week. Nicole, you want to be yoga buddies?

I'll have to check out the videos you suggested, I'm a bit of a yoga snob. =) I prefer long, deep stretches, a lot of the videos I've found on YouTube seem to just be focused on hitting a pose and moving quickly to the next one.

For a year or two I was going to yoga regularly, the local Hindu temple had an awesome hour long class for only $7. (If the space wasn't being used after, we'd often go 1-1/2 hours or more.) The teacher was great at not only leading the poses, but also would have a meditate narrative going on too. Looking back at the stress, productivity, successes of the previous week, or maybe on the season of the year.
2020-01-30 2:32 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Originally posted by riles32807

For a year or two I was going to yoga regularly, the local Hindu temple had an awesome hour long class for only $7. (If the space wasn't being used after, we'd often go 1-1/2 hours or more.) The teacher was great at not only leading the poses, but also would have a meditate narrative going on too. Looking back at the stress, productivity, successes of the previous week, or maybe on the season of the year.

Riles- that sounds like an amazing yoga experience!! I am jealous. Within the last year, someone started a free yoga class in Harrisburg and it takes place overlooking the river around sunset in the spring, summer and fall. It is really beautiful, but sometimes there are a lot of people walking by and a lot of traffic on main road that is 15 feet away, so it can be distracting sometimes. ...and sometimes people will purposefully interrupt by yelling funny things out of their car windows, which makes me laugh in return and fall out of a pose. I guess you get what you pay for

Gretchen- o no! I hope that you feel better soon!

This week has been good for me and my goals. I played in my field hockey league on Sunday, ran Monday and Wednesday and (finally) did a spin class at the gym today. I am planning to run again tomorrow or Saturday.

- Ally
2020-01-30 3:18 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

So...this is fun.

We are getting our new roof today!!! But...no one mentioned the materials delivery guy was going to show up at 7:30, so when he did, I was just stepping out of the shower! Very quickly, I towel off and throw on some clothes, in the processes tweaking my back (not spine, more under shoulderblade area). Muscle has been spasming all day and hurts like heck when I lift my right arm. So...yes, I have an injury from getting dressed. I just took a muscle relaxant, but now I've realized I have to teach in an hour and I was just sitting here drooling. Ahhh...the "benefits" of getting older.

Yip, welcome to the age when you can hurt yourself putting your clothes on, getting out of bed, etc. Real fun!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 5954 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123