BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-01-30 3:20 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

So...this is fun.

We are getting our new roof today!!! But...no one mentioned the materials delivery guy was going to show up at 7:30, so when he did, I was just stepping out of the shower! Very quickly, I towel off and throw on some clothes, in the processes tweaking my back (not spine, more under shoulderblade area). Muscle has been spasming all day and hurts like heck when I lift my right arm. So...yes, I have an injury from getting dressed. I just took a muscle relaxant, but now I've realized I have to teach in an hour and I was just sitting here drooling. Ahhh...the "benefits" of getting older.

Ahhhh Oh no! Feel better! I always have pain under my shoulderblade, it suuucks. Yoga helps it! When I do it!

2020-01-30 3:23 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by riles32807

Originally posted by nicole14e

Y'all...I DID YOGA YESTERDAY! Freaking finally. And it felt so good and reminded me why I made this one of my goals. Hoping that was the kickstart I needed to get me doing it regularly.

Shoulder was bothering me this morning so I did a HIIT cycling class instead of swim squad. After a leg heavy boot camp yesterday, it was a rough one.

YAY YOGA!

I've been trying to get back into doing yoga regularly, I'm going to set a goal of once a week. Nicole, you want to be yoga buddies?

I'll have to check out the videos you suggested, I'm a bit of a yoga snob. =) I prefer long, deep stretches, a lot of the videos I've found on YouTube seem to just be focused on hitting a pose and moving quickly to the next one.

For a year or two I was going to yoga regularly, the local Hindu temple had an awesome hour long class for only $7. (If the space wasn't being used after, we'd often go 1-1/2 hours or more.) The teacher was great at not only leading the poses, but also would have a meditate narrative going on too. Looking back at the stress, productivity, successes of the previous week, or maybe on the season of the year.

Yes please! That accountability would be amazing! Let's figure out a good way to track it! I will send you a DM (if that's possible and I can figure out how...)

You probably won't like Marissa's channel then. She moves through them quick, but that is what I like. I have the attention span of a dog in a park (squirrel!), so like to move through the moves quicker. I totally see the benefit of that though!
2020-01-30 3:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by rmschwartz418

I realize I am newer to this group and that the primary purpose is triathlon - this is a BT forum after all. But there doesn't seem to be any beer talk. I had to travel to Chico, CA for work on Monday. Everyone at work was thanking me for taking the trip (it's about a 3 hour drive). What they didn't know is that I was HAPPY to go. Sierra Nevada is brewed there. The founding fathers of the craft beer movement on the West Coast. So, I loaded up my growlers and a cooler and headed to my work trip. Sierra Nevada did not disappoint - had a sampler of 4 limited release beers and a pint of one of their IPA's (Tropical Torpedo). Came home with a growler of the Tropical and a growler of this delicious beer called "Hopsichord" - an amber with tons of added hops. ABV is higher than I like (over 9%) but it is delicious. Sierra also has a newer line of beers or a partnership called "Sufferfest" with the tagline, "Will Sweat for Beer".

Anyone else have any good beer stories lately?

This is definitely highly encouraged! I unfortunately decided to do dry January, so do not have any good beer stories of late. I know some people will share a beer of the week, and then also stories like this, so keep them coming!

We just (as in today) had a new brewery open in the city called Ministry of Brewing. It's an old church they converted into a brewery. I'm hoping to check that out VERY soon! https://ministryofbrewing.com/

Edited by nicole14e 2020-01-30 3:26 PM
2020-01-30 4:59 PM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I miss beer. I have given it up for training season (eep! None until August!). As much as I love it, I find it really wreaks havoc with me in several ways, none of which are beneficial to training. I figure the IM challenge is big enough without me shooting my self in the foot by doing things I know are detrimental to my training. That being said, one of the sponsorers of MiTi is a pub with 300 beers on tap. I’ve already told my wife that is where we are recovering on Monday after the race!!
2020-01-31 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by riles32807
Originally posted by FishinPA
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Today was a fitness test prep session, WU, 9' over/under, 2' @ 125%, then about 1' @ 150%.  Killed it.  Traveling for work this week so some easy gym work in the mornings and then my Sufferfest 4DP test on Saturday.

Ok complete newbie here...sorry everyone... but can you tell me what that means? and what is a 4DP test? Thanks
Not just you, I think it must be a Sufferfest thing. 

Yes- a Sufferfest thing.  It's their FTP measurement test (TrainerRoad and Zwift both have them, as well I think).  TR uses the Coggan method where you do a 5' all-out TT, then rest like 10' then do a 20' TT.  Your 5' power is your VO2 max power and your 20' performed after that is your FTP.  Sufferfest adds a couple of all-out 5s sprints at the beginning, and then destroys you with a 1' power test at the end.  So you do 5 tests in about an hour, including WU, CD, and recovery between intervals.  You wind up with 4 measures of cycling ability: sprint power, VO2 max power, FTP, and anaerobic power. 

The idea behind it is two cyclists with the exact same FTP could have drastically different other power measures, so the workouts adjust to your power profile rather than just some formula based on your FTP.  For what it's worth, Sufferfest calls me a "Pursuiter", because my 5' power is the highest relative to other cyclists, followed by my 1'.  Neither of which are useful in triathlon.  LOL

EDIT:  FTP = Functional Threshold Power, roughly the power you can hold for an hour on a bike.  Realized a was answering a jargon question with more jargon.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2020-01-31 7:38 AM
2020-01-31 7:29 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove So...this is fun. We are getting our new roof today!!! But...no one mentioned the materials delivery guy was going to show up at 7:30, so when he did, I was just stepping out of the shower! Very quickly, I towel off and throw on some clothes, in the processes tweaking my back (not spine, more under shoulderblade area). Muscle has been spasming all day and hurts like heck when I lift my right arm. So...yes, I have an injury from getting dressed. I just took a muscle relaxant, but now I've realized I have to teach in an hour and I was just sitting here drooling. Ahhh...the "benefits" of getting older.
Ahhhh Oh no! Feel better! I always have pain under my shoulderblade, it suuucks. Yoga helps it! When I do it!

I also have that, I think it's a swimming thing.  I breathe almost exclusively on my right side so the area right under my left shoulder blade twinges once in a while.  The more I swim, the more it bothers me.  My swimming biomechanics suck, which is probably what causes it.

2020-01-31 7:34 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove I miss beer. I have given it up for training season (eep! None until August!). As much as I love it, I find it really wreaks havoc with me in several ways, none of which are beneficial to training. I figure the IM challenge is big enough without me shooting my self in the foot by doing things I know are detrimental to my training. That being said, one of the sponsorers of MiTi is a pub with 300 beers on tap. I’ve already told my wife that is where we are recovering on Monday after the race!!

OMG - no beer.  (kinda feel all of those emotions about it).

I will say that I've reduced consumption, especially of the heavier stuff (my new favorite is Slighty Mighty IPA from Dogfish Head - about the same alcohol and calories as a Miller Lite, and tastes way the hell better), and I've noticed the difference.

2020-01-31 7:44 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by rmschwartz418 I realize I am newer to this group and that the primary purpose is triathlon - this is a BT forum after all. But there doesn't seem to be any beer talk. I had to travel to Chico, CA for work on Monday. Everyone at work was thanking me for taking the trip (it's about a 3 hour drive). What they didn't know is that I was HAPPY to go. Sierra Nevada is brewed there. The founding fathers of the craft beer movement on the West Coast. So, I loaded up my growlers and a cooler and headed to my work trip. Sierra Nevada did not disappoint - had a sampler of 4 limited release beers and a pint of one of their IPA's (Tropical Torpedo). Came home with a growler of the Tropical and a growler of this delicious beer called "Hopsichord" - an amber with tons of added hops. ABV is higher than I like (over 9%) but it is delicious. Sierra also has a newer line of beers or a partnership called "Sufferfest" with the tagline, "Will Sweat for Beer". Anyone else have any good beer stories lately?
This is definitely highly encouraged! I unfortunately decided to do dry January, so do not have any good beer stories of late. I know some people will share a beer of the week, and then also stories like this, so keep them coming! We just (as in today) had a new brewery open in the city called Ministry of Brewing. It's an old church they converted into a brewery. I'm hoping to check that out VERY soon! https://ministryofbrewing.com/

And Nicole can walk to it, so that's a scary thought. 

2020-01-31 8:54 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by drfoodlove I miss beer. I have given it up for training season (eep! None until August!). As much as I love it, I find it really wreaks havoc with me in several ways, none of which are beneficial to training. I figure the IM challenge is big enough without me shooting my self in the foot by doing things I know are detrimental to my training. That being said, one of the sponsorers of MiTi is a pub with 300 beers on tap. I’ve already told my wife that is where we are recovering on Monday after the race!!

OMG - no beer.  (kinda feel all of those emotions about it).

I will say that I've reduced consumption, especially of the heavier stuff (my new favorite is Slighty Mighty IPA from Dogfish Head - about the same alcohol and calories as a Miller Lite, and tastes way the hell better), and I've noticed the difference.

Oh man, and I thought one month was a feat! Way to dedicate yourself to your goals, Gretchen! I admire that a lot.
I also plan on reducing my consumption. I'm SO productive when I don't drink much.
2020-01-31 8:56 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by rmschwartz418 I realize I am newer to this group and that the primary purpose is triathlon - this is a BT forum after all. But there doesn't seem to be any beer talk. I had to travel to Chico, CA for work on Monday. Everyone at work was thanking me for taking the trip (it's about a 3 hour drive). What they didn't know is that I was HAPPY to go. Sierra Nevada is brewed there. The founding fathers of the craft beer movement on the West Coast. So, I loaded up my growlers and a cooler and headed to my work trip. Sierra Nevada did not disappoint - had a sampler of 4 limited release beers and a pint of one of their IPA's (Tropical Torpedo). Came home with a growler of the Tropical and a growler of this delicious beer called "Hopsichord" - an amber with tons of added hops. ABV is higher than I like (over 9%) but it is delicious. Sierra also has a newer line of beers or a partnership called "Sufferfest" with the tagline, "Will Sweat for Beer". Anyone else have any good beer stories lately?
This is definitely highly encouraged! I unfortunately decided to do dry January, so do not have any good beer stories of late. I know some people will share a beer of the week, and then also stories like this, so keep them coming! We just (as in today) had a new brewery open in the city called Ministry of Brewing. It's an old church they converted into a brewery. I'm hoping to check that out VERY soon! https://ministryofbrewing.com/

And Nicole can walk to it, so that's a scary thought. 

That I can! It's almost exactly a mile from my house
2020-01-31 8:56 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had to come in to work early. Hoping to head home early and get a run in before the contractor comes to look at my basement (hoping to get it totally redone).

2020-01-31 2:39 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
My back was still a little twingy this morning, so I didn't go to master's this morning. I think it is feeling better this afternoon, but I don't want to injury myself trying to do too much, too soon. Besides...it is January. There is time! 50' run scheduled with the pup after I get home from teaching. I'll need it. Yesterday I gave an exam in this class and I expect to hear some complaining today.
2020-02-01 11:14 AM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
90’ trainer ride this morning at IM pace. Pretty boring, but I’m getting the hang of reading and riding without getting my kindle/phone all sweaty. I read half a book this morning, which is way better than binging on trashy tv; guilty pleasure of the past! After a few hours of work, I have a short run planned for the afternoon.
2020-02-01 2:44 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Didn't get a run in yesterday. My shoulder was bothering me this morning so rather than swim I did a 10 minute run, and then did a HIIT cycling class. Planning on running and swimming tomorrow, and hopefully doing some yoga too! Need to get all three in to hit my workout goal for the week.
2020-02-02 6:05 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove 90’ trainer ride this morning at IM pace. Pretty boring, but I’m getting the hang of reading and riding without getting my kindle/phone all sweaty. I read half a book this morning, which is way better than binging on trashy tv; guilty pleasure of the past! After a few hours of work, I have a short run planned for the afternoon.

What you reading? I can recommend this author: http://thatemilychappell.com/about/ she used to be a courier in London and won the Transcontinental. Oh and if good arms are your thing she has good arms! 

2020-02-02 6:23 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Master
brummie land

Beer of the week later will be:

The Six Nations rugby tournament has started so no choice in what to drink Anybody else going to watch it? Then I'm on the p!$$ later for the superbowl (budweiser). 

2020-02-02 7:08 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by sappho96

Fingers crossed next week is better:

1. Try and ride to work at least once

2. If leg better, go to rugby

3. Two arm workouts and no pop till Thursday (if training) or Friday if not.

It was a better week, thanks for all the encouragement!

1. 5 commutes in total (i.e. in three times, home twice) including my first dark commute of the year which went ok.

2. No rugby as leg not better, but got exercises for it and hopefully back next week or week after!

3. Just finished my second arm workout and the muscles are still shaking!!! I have managed to message my wsm mate to tell him he is in trouble! 

How has everyone else's week gone?

2020-02-02 3:34 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by sappho96

How has everyone else's week gone?

Well it's been a bit poos to be honest.

Had the start of the week off to get past 2 weeks since my injury.
Thursday: Swam 10 x 100m, aiming for 1:50-1:55/100m . Had a good swim, but my ankle started hurting again, that's a bit odd hurting from swimming, thats supposed to be the easiest on injuries
Friday: 15 minute very easy test run. Felt ok. A bit of pain later in the day but being dumb I blamed that on Thursdays swim.
Saturday: easy 30 min spin. Felt all good, during and after.
Sunday: slow/easy 5km run. Felt OK during the run. But definitely not later in the day. The sharp, specific pain has been joined by a dull, whole ankle pain...
This morning, still not good, so Drs appointment booked for later in the week and back on couch duty until then.

Sucks.

Gretchen 9 months of no drinking is a huge commitment. Good on you. On top of any physical benefits that might get you it's also got to be a big psychological victory, giving up something you love for something you really want to achieve. Kind of a promise to yourself that you're taking this seriously.

Nicole and Riles as our resident yogis, what would you recommend to someone like me who has the flexibility of a porcelain doll but is aware that I'm getting older, so should do something to improve that part of my training to avoid injuries in the future. Are there any simple/easy routines or videos I should look at?
2020-02-02 5:26 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Master
brummie land

Nicole and Riles as our resident yogis, what would you recommend to someone like me who has the flexibility of a porcelain doll but is aware that I'm getting older, so should do something to improve that part of my training to avoid injuries in the future. Are there any simple/easy routines or videos I should look at?

My hippy mate recommends yoga with Adrienne. https://yogawithadriene.com/ I did her lower back workouts a few times and they were good. I am about as flexible as a twiglet so you should be fine with her!

2020-02-03 5:47 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Happy new week! everyone!

Sappho, I used to watch the rugby with my dad growing up (then the 5 nations). He was a proud ex rugbyman. He passed away last year. I watched a bit of the England-France game yesterday, thinking about him.

Talking of my dad, I picked up my new bike the other day and yesterday, I added a little touch to it in his memory.

Had a good training week, hit all my workouts ending with 3700m swim yesterday with my Masters swim. I never knew I was able to swim that long (that's long for me anyway).

the other goal of eating cleanish went well until yesterday when I had too much wine and if it was not bad enough, I felt the urge to eat chips (or crisps )

goals for the new week: same as above less the wine+crisps

Have a great week!

Edited by Rollergirl 2020-02-03 5:54 AM

(IMG_2736.JPG)

(IMG_2735.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_2736.JPG (150KB - 4 downloads)
IMG_2735.JPG (151KB - 6 downloads)
2020-02-03 6:12 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nathalie - that is really cool about your little tribute to your dad and looks good on the bike with a little splash of color on an otherwise bad--black color scheme.

FWIW, I also caught some of the rugby match (game?) yesterday randomly while getting some lunch in a sports pub.  Those guys are nuts.

As for my weekend, I physically survived my test on Saturday and posted improvement across the board.  My sprint power is still my weakness but I think that's more from being inside on a trainer than anything.  I still had problems pacing the 20' FTP test part, but did much better than last time.

I had a good January overall - pretty much nailed the plan.

Swim: 3h 19m 28s - 8100 Yd
Bike: 17h 25m 46s - 309.45 Mi
Run: 1h 47m 08s - 7.5 Mi
Strength: 12h 15m

Base 3 starts this week, with the big workout being over 2 hours on the trainer (mostly Z2, but still) on Wednesday.  I'm also getting a cortisone shot in my SI joint tomorrow in my never-ending fight with my back.

2020-02-03 8:16 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

@Nathalie - that is really cool about your little tribute to your dad and looks good on the bike with a little splash of color on an otherwise bad--black color scheme.

You mean badass black!

I love it! (just as well, I chose it )
2020-02-03 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl

You mean badass black! I love it! (just as well, I chose it )

OMG - the BT editor got rid of the a$$ part of my comment.  Didn't realize BT was a Disney franchise LOL.

2020-02-03 8:45 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by Rollergirl

You mean badass black! I love it! (just as well, I chose it )

OMG - the BT editor got rid of the a$$ part of my comment.  Didn't realize BT was a Disney franchise LOL.

LOL!

it kept my a$$ though, probably because it was attached to bad

2020-02-03 8:57 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nathalie--that is an awesome bike, and a fantastic tribute to your dad!!

Is anyone else having difficulty with the BT app on their phone/tablet? All weekend I couldn't get on to read any posts. I could see that they were being updated, but when I clicked on our group to read them, I got an error message. Nothing wrong with the website version though.

Weekend was good for me, despite the onset of what I think is a cold. We had great weather this weekend, including 60F yesterday, which made for a mighty nice long run. Saturday was "long" bike at 90', followed by a short run (25'). Today was 2500yds in the pool with masters. This week I start a bike focused period, so instead of running six days a week, I only have four runs and the bike increased to four sessions of 90' each. I ordered a new saddle (Infinity) and I can't wait for it to get here!! 90' on my current saddle has turned into torture and I certainly don't want to do that four times this week!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 5715 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123