BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-02-03 2:24 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

That is the classiest tribute and a sexy bike! 

My goals for this week are:

1. 10 mile minimum training ride

2. Yoga for hamstrings and lower back - i'll report back on here to the other yogis about completion to increase accountability

Leaving it at two this week as got my attendance review in work and don't want to add any extra pressure to my week. In an ideal world I will also do two arms workouts and no drink until at least Thursday (but arms are sore and i don't too well with too much pressure on myself).

What does everybody else have planned?

2020-02-03 2:40 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Is anyone else having difficulty with the BT app on their phone/tablet? All weekend I couldn't get on to read any posts. I could see that they were being updated, but when I clicked on our group to read them, I got an error message. Nothing wrong with the website version though.

I'm having issues too.

Nathalie- Love the new bike.

I had a rough week last week with my husband traveling for work. Now we have a big snowstorm. But I got a good run and a lot of skiing. Hopefully more biking this week even if it's just in the basement.
2020-02-03 3:29 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by sappho96

Nicole and Riles as our resident yogis, what would you recommend to someone like me who has the flexibility of a porcelain doll but is aware that I'm getting older, so should do something to improve that part of my training to avoid injuries in the future. Are there any simple/easy routines or videos I should look at?

My hippy mate recommends yoga with Adrienne. https://yogawithadriene.com/ I did her lower back workouts a few times and they were good. I am about as flexible as a twiglet so you should be fine with her!

The youtube channel I use is Marissa Walch. She's very much a yoga for athletes instructor. Her videos are often only about 20 minutes long, which is good for my short attention span. Checking this and the one Sappho sent can give you some options and even lead you to others until you find one that you enjoy!
2020-02-03 3:43 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Nathalie, the bike and tribute look great!

Sappho, yay for having another yogi accountability buddy!

Goals from last week:
1. Be consistent with training - 2 swims, 2 runs, 2 spin classes, 1 boot camp, and yoga 2 times (trying to be more specific) - I got in 1 swim (shoulder was bothering me), 2 runs, 3 spin classes, 1 boot camp and 1 yoga session - not too bad!
2. Eat clean - Meal prepped meals except for axe night - ate pretty well most of the week! I feel like I'm sticking to stuff pretty well but not losing any weight, so that's been a bit frustrating.
3. No mindless scrolling on FB or IG - only had a little, and none that kept me from getting in a workout.

Goals for this week:
1. Training consistency - 2 swims, 3 runs, 2 spin classes, 1 boot camp, and yoga 2 times
2. Get in at least one 2-a-day (have a ragnar type race in the end of April, need to get my body used to multiple workouts/runs a day)
3. Cut down on snacking - might be why I didn't notice any weight change last week.

2020-02-04 8:02 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by riles32807
Originally posted by FishinPA

Today was a fitness test prep session, WU, 9' over/under, 2' @ 125%, then about 1' @ 150%.  Killed it.  Traveling for work this week so some easy gym work in the mornings and then my Sufferfest 4DP test on Saturday.

Ok complete newbie here...sorry everyone... but can you tell me what that means? and what is a 4DP test? Thanks
Not just you, I think it must be a Sufferfest thing. 

Yes- a Sufferfest thing.  It's their FTP measurement test (TrainerRoad and Zwift both have them, as well I think).  TR uses the Coggan method where you do a 5' all-out TT, then rest like 10' then do a 20' TT.  Your 5' power is your VO2 max power and your 20' performed after that is your FTP.  Sufferfest adds a couple of all-out 5s sprints at the beginning, and then destroys you with a 1' power test at the end.  So you do 5 tests in about an hour, including WU, CD, and recovery between intervals.  You wind up with 4 measures of cycling ability: sprint power, VO2 max power, FTP, and anaerobic power. 

The idea behind it is two cyclists with the exact same FTP could have drastically different other power measures, so the workouts adjust to your power profile rather than just some formula based on your FTP.  For what it's worth, Sufferfest calls me a "Pursuiter", because my 5' power is the highest relative to other cyclists, followed by my 1'.  Neither of which are useful in triathlon.  LOL

EDIT:  FTP = Functional Threshold Power, roughly the power you can hold for an hour on a bike.  Realized a was answering a jargon question with more jargon.

@ Mike- Thanks for the explanation. That is hardcore!!! I am definitely in the baby phase of triathlon...most of my rides last year were just time based and building endurance.

@ Nathalie- I love the tribute to your dad. My dad passed away last year also and I am still looking for a way to honor his memory...it is still pretty recent, so nothing that I have come up with feels "right" yet.

Goals for the week:
Spin class x2
Run x3

On Saturday 2/8, I will be 12 weeks out from my half marathon. I am planning a running training program for that race, which will include some swims and brick workouts since my first tri of the year will be in early June.

-Ally

2020-02-04 8:25 AM
in reply to: FishinPA

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in a 30 minute run last night (it was 60 degrees and beautiful, I couldn't pass up the chance to run comfortably outside).

Swam with my squad this morning. Still feeling it. My arms are tired just typing. Good thing I have meetings most of the day.

2020-02-04 9:20 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

Got in a 30 minute run last night (it was 60 degrees and beautiful, I couldn't pass up the chance to run comfortably outside).

Swam with my squad this morning. Still feeling it. My arms are tired just typing. Good thing I have meetings most of the day.

I can guarantee this is a sentence I've never said, no matter how tired my arms were!
2020-02-04 9:24 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
90' on the trainer this morning, including 70' of aerobic 70% FTP stuff, which was boring. Then, evaluation appointment with PT for my knee. He doesn't seem to think there is much wrong, just a little hip strength imbalance that can be fixed with some exercises (fingers crossed!). Was going to do my scheduled 30' run when I got home from PT, but the sky has opened up and we are getting rain, lots of rain. It is supposed to be gone by 4pm, when I get home from teaching, so I'll run then.

BTW...I asked the PT about when to use compression sleeves, and in my case the air relax compression leggings, and he said that at the end of the day is probably best, although there is no empirical research to support that, but he figures at the end of the day you'll have the most buildup in the lymphatic system, and therefore can do the most good working to get it out of there. In case anyone was wondering.
2020-02-04 2:34 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

I can guarantee this is a sentence I've never said, no matter how tired my arms were!

Haha yeah typically I wouldn't. I'm trying to cram all my meetings with my analysts on one day though so I have bigger blocks of time without meetings. Tomorrow and Friday are gloriously open
2020-02-04 3:23 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Great news about the knee Gretchen!
2020-02-05 8:02 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Great news about the knee Gretchen!

Thanks! I'm pretty happy to know it isn't going to fall off. The PT gave me some exercise and I have sessions scheduled with them. I did the exercises last night and I was TIRED afterward! four measly sets of simple body weight exercises and I was exhausted. I guess it shows I really need them!

2020-02-05 8:05 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2400yds at masters today. Swam a bunch of hard 25s, which I really like. I also learned how to do butterfly kick today. Never done it before and was pretty confident I was going to drown before I started, but I actually picked it up pretty quickly and moved down the lane, which is more than I can say for that one time I tried kicking without fins! HAHAHA! Later--75' trainer ride.
2020-02-05 8:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

2400yds at masters today. Swam a bunch of hard 25s, which I really like. I also learned how to do butterfly kick today. Never done it before and was pretty confident I was going to drown before I started, but I actually picked it up pretty quickly and moved down the lane, which is more than I can say for that one time I tried kicking without fins! HAHAHA! Later--75' trainer ride.

Haha fun! Butterfly is my favorite (I'm weird, I know).
You probably feel slower than you are without fins. They just make you feel so much faster.

Edited by nicole14e 2020-02-05 9:06 AM
2020-02-05 9:05 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to boot camp this morning. Got crushed. Axes will be interesting tonight, as I could barely dry my hair this morning.

Beer news - Dry January has officially ended, so I went out with a friend last night and had the Hershey's Chocolate Porter.

2020-02-05 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove 2400yds at masters today. Swam a bunch of hard 25s, which I really like. I also learned how to do butterfly kick today. Never done it before and was pretty confident I was going to drown before I started, but I actually picked it up pretty quickly and moved down the lane, which is more than I can say for that one time I tried kicking without fins! HAHAHA! Later--75' trainer ride.
Haha fun! Butterfly is my favorite (I'm weird, I know). You probably feel slower than you are without fins. They just make you feel so much faster.

I practice butterfly (as much as it is) when I'm on the road, alone, at 6 AM in our little hotel pool so as to not embarrass myself in public.

2020-02-06 1:04 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

2020-02-06 5:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by drfoodlove 2400yds at masters today. Swam a bunch of hard 25s, which I really like. I also learned how to do butterfly kick today. Never done it before and was pretty confident I was going to drown before I started, but I actually picked it up pretty quickly and moved down the lane, which is more than I can say for that one time I tried kicking without fins! HAHAHA! Later--75' trainer ride.
Haha fun! Butterfly is my favorite (I'm weird, I know). You probably feel slower than you are without fins. They just make you feel so much faster.

I practice butterfly (as much as it is) when I'm on the road, alone, at 6 AM in our little hotel pool so as to not embarrass myself in public.

I think we need video :-) I swam butterfly in college - the second kick is critical.

I'm curious how others consider sports beyond SBR in their plans. Like if you go nordic skiing - can that count as a workout? Or is that all on top of your plan. I usually ski a day or three a week split between Alpine and Nordic.

And another question- what do you wear when you tri? I'm thinking of getting a sleeved top for sun protection as they were not legal last time I did a race- I don't think - it was all tanks- but then I'm wondering if I'm buying a new top should I just get one of those creepy suits so I'm not constantly pulling the top down at the bottom? But then I'm a middle aged mom- so a lycra body suit when I'm not JLo seems a little over the top.

So, what do you race in and what do you see as pros and cons?

2020-02-06 6:50 PM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Short 30’ run today—easy day to get a little rest before a big weekend.

Wait—there are two kicks in butterfly?!?

What to wear—I wear a two piece suit with tri shorts and a sleeveless men’s tri top. I don’t have a problem with too much boob poking out the arm holes and the men’s tops have more back coverage than women’s. I don’t think a one piece would work well for me. I’m 6’3”, so the average woman’s suit wouldn’t be long enough and men’s one piece won’t be big enough in the hips. Plus...the whole bathroom situation seems like it would be a nightmare in a one piece.
2020-02-07 1:33 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I'd love to learn butterfly, it looks so cool. I have tried and can manage just about half the length of the pool before I drown.

Ally, sorry about your loss too. tough times losing a parent, we all go through it at some point.

What to wear? I always wear a one piece tri-suit on race day (see photo). Bathroom visits are a little complicated but as I exclusively do sprints, I don't need to go during the race, so it's not an issue.

I am not skinny but I don't have too much flab popping out either. What I look like is really not a concern, as long as I am comfy (that said, when I saw a picture of myself at a race 3 years ago, I decided to lose weight. which I did, 25 pounds that year. Regained 6 last year due to a nagging foot injury which slowed down my training. On my way to lose them again now)

2020-02-07 10:02 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I agree with Nathalie, whatever you are most comfortable in. None of us are JLo, and I think most people at these tris aren't worried about what other people are wearing. I wear a tri suit and find it to be very comfortable, although I also only do sprints or Olys so don't really have to worry about the bathroom issue. I wonder if you could find an extra long top so you're not constantly pulling it down.

As for other training, I still count it, but sometimes will still do something different as well. I do boot camp every week, and feel it helps me immensely, especially in the bike, which I don't often do much training for. Skiing is a great leg workout, and Nordic skiing is incredible for stamina (or so I imagine, I've never actually done it!).
2020-02-07 10:05 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in a short run this morning. I did a rolling hill workout on the dreadmill. I don't know if it was just an off day or because I haven't done much with an incline, but I was hurting. I also need to just suck it up and run outside. I really hate treadmills.

2020-02-07 12:17 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I had my first actual physical therapy appointment this morning. As far as I could tell, it seems like having an insurance subsidized trainer. We are focusing on working the smaller muscles of the legs/hips/lower core and holy heck...i felt it when I left!

After work, one hour run scheduled. Think I'm going to be at work late, so thinking it will be in the dark (boo!!).
2020-02-08 6:10 PM
in reply to: #5266897

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I spent about four hours getting a 90’ ride in today. Started with putting a new saddle on and all the adjustments that go with that. Then, in a moment of sheer stupidity, I stripped the screw holding the seat tube in place. After running around for an hour trying to find a replacement in town, I finally got the tube back installed properly and at the proper height. Then, there was the constant minor adjustments of the tilt and positioning. I think I mounted my bike like 30 times today. About three hours later I did a 30’ run, which I wasn’t sure my legs were going to be able to do at the beginning, but once I actually got started, it went fine.
2020-02-09 6:21 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove I spent about four hours getting a 90’ ride in today. Started with putting a new saddle on and all the adjustments that go with that. Then, in a moment of sheer stupidity, I stripped the screw holding the seat tube in place. After running around for an hour trying to find a replacement in town, I finally got the tube back installed properly and at the proper height. Then, there was the constant minor adjustments of the tilt and positioning. I think I mounted my bike like 30 times today. About three hours later I did a 30’ run, which I wasn’t sure my legs were going to be able to do at the beginning, but once I actually got started, it went fine.

That is dedication! How was the new saddle? Holey enough????

2020-02-09 2:38 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by sappho96

Found this on the guardian website:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/feb/05/david-athertons-recipe-for-banana-energy-balls

Thanks for that by the way.

Had a nice training week. Hit 6 workouts as was the goal. Could not get up for my masters swim this morning so went for a run instead this afternoon in the storm we’re having here in northern europe.

How about you? Good week?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 5919 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123