BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-02-09 3:03 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by sappho96

Found this on the guardian website:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/feb/05/david-athertons-recipe-for-banana-energy-balls

Thanks for that by the way. Had a nice training week. Hit 6 workouts as was the goal. Could not get up for my masters swim this morning so went for a run instead this afternoon in the storm we’re having here in northern europe. How about you? Good week?

The storm has messed up so much sport and is now affecting my internet access: not a good combination! Fortunately the England men were playing cricket in South Africa and weren't affected and won! 

I managed one commute to work where I tried to outsprint a truck and have been off the bike since; nor did I do any yoga as my leg was too sore (I think i re damaged the calf injury from a few weeks ago - boo!). I made it through my work thing but still got some questions for my boss. I have also had a really bad mouth ulcer which is a sure sign I am run down. 

BUT on a positive note i am starting to feel better and I have partaken in my favourite local brew today whilst hibernating from the weather!

2020-02-09 3:04 PM
in reply to: #5266953

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Good week here. Hit every scheduled workout and added two PT sessions. Next week includes some work related travel, so we’ll see how that goes.

Finished it out with another 90’ trainer ride. New saddle needs a fit!! It was not comfortable today.
2020-02-09 8:39 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Moonrocket

And another question- what do you wear when you tri? I'm thinking of getting a sleeved top for sun protection as they were not legal last time I did a race- I don't think - it was all tanks- but then I'm wondering if I'm buying a new top should I just get one of those creepy suits so I'm not constantly pulling the top down at the bottom? But then I'm a middle aged mom- so a lycra body suit when I'm not JLo seems a little over the top.

Up to the 70.3 distance I've always used a 2 piece kit, tri shorts and sleevless top. For my only Ironman, I did a full change at both transitions, wetsuit and jammers on the swim, bib shorts and cycling jersey for the bike. Tri shorts and top for the run.

But the most important thing is to wear what is comfortable. We all looks silly wearing tri suits (1 or 2 piece) Lycra is flattering for nobody! But everyone is far to busy worrying about their own race to notices what you're in. If the one piece is more comfortable for you, go for it.
2020-02-09 8:54 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
So, since my last update I went to see the Dr, who poked and prodded my foot. Did nothing and referred me to see a physiotherapist, who I saw today for my first physio session ever.

In between seeing the Dr and Physio however, I 'ran' a half marathon on the weekend. (Because I am stupid) Long story short I ran for about 6 or 7km, and then decided to walk it home as I was starting to feel some twinges coming from my ankle. It's race 3 of a 5 race summer series, Last year I had to miss one race, so this time I really, really want to get the grand slam. So it was a long, long walk. The slowest 21.1km I've ever done (including during 70.3's) but I'm still in the running for that grand slam.

Anyway, fast forward to the physio appointment. She thinks that the injury is mostly healed, and my problems are now coming from the scar tissue being all tight and nasty (please excuse my lack of medical jargon) So my ankle got a bit of a massage, and I have a list of stretches/exercises to do at home. I'll be back for another appointment on Thursday, were I hopefully get good news.

Nathalie That is a sexy bike. Very jealous.

Hope everyone else is having a good week.
2020-02-10 7:33 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

, Kronobergs lan

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/feb/05/david-athertons-recipe-for-banana-energy-balls

This looks yummy,! I am definitely going to try this.

Does anybody know a good recipe for an energy drink to consume during exercice? I don't usually need them as I never exceed 2 hours of training in one session but yesterday during my run in the storm, It came to a total stop. I don't know if the effort to run in the wind and rain was too much or what it was but I simply ran out of fuel! So I stopped and bought a Powerade which put me back on track and I was able to finish my workout. Now I'm thinking, there must be some homemade healthier options.

What do you drink?
2020-02-10 9:05 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl

This looks yummy,! I am definitely going to try this. Does anybody know a good recipe for an energy drink to consume during exercice? I don't usually need them as I never exceed 2 hours of training in one session but yesterday during my run in the storm, It came to a total stop. I don't know if the effort to run in the wind and rain was too much or what it was but I simply ran out of fuel! So I stopped and bought a Powerade which put me back on track and I was able to finish my workout. Now I'm thinking, there must be some homemade healthier options. What do you drink?

For longer workouts, I'll sip on some diluted Gatorade, maybe 12 oz worth in a 24 ounce water bottle (or bideon for you Euro folks ).  It works, it's cheap, and I tolerate it well even while running longer distances when I did such a thing.  Full strength is WAY too sweet.  "Back in the day" when I was playing all-day beach volleyball tournaments I'd make a homemade version with orange juice, water, and this powder called Carbo Fuel which had more complex carbs in it than Gatorade.

2020-02-10 9:09 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Had a good week, about 360 TSS or so, including a double spin class on Saturday.  I got a cortisone injection in my SI joint on Tuesday - it has helped a bit but my back is flaring up a bit this morning - must be the crappy weather here.  Off to Phoenix this week for work, of course the temps are like 10-15 degrees below normal so only lower 60s but that's certainly better than 40 degrees and raining.  Tour of Sufferlandria starts later this week where I will kill myself every day on the bike until I can't do it anymore. 

2020-02-10 1:09 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

I ACTUALLY DID SOME EXERCISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29 minutes of yoga with adrienne  (Yoga For Low Back and Hamstrings | Yoga With Adriene - YouTube) and 15 reps either side bicep curls with a heavier weight as per my wsm mate. 

Still not allowed to ride (which tbh with the weather is NOT a bad thing) and back to see rugby physio on Thursday. I am also working my way through the headspace rehab pack to keep me from getting too fed up! @bulfrog - you can use my fortnight's free code if you want?

https://www.headspace.com/invite/4STC2xz?fbclid=IwAR3HC4yM884qrJRZcYlz6bvjwP1mr2gpgo9tE_3P3kQ0wFcKXX4g_VGbv7M

2020-02-10 3:34 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by Moonrocket And another question- what do you wear when you tri? I'm thinking of getting a sleeved top for sun protection as they were not legal last time I did a race- I don't think - it was all tanks- but then I'm wondering if I'm buying a new top should I just get one of those creepy suits so I'm not constantly pulling the top down at the bottom? But then I'm a middle aged mom- so a lycra body suit when I'm not JLo seems a little over the top.
Up to the 70.3 distance I've always used a 2 piece kit, tri shorts and sleevless top. For my only Ironman, I did a full change at both transitions, wetsuit and jammers on the swim, bib shorts and cycling jersey for the bike. Tri shorts and top for the run. But the most important thing is to wear what is comfortable. We all looks silly wearing tri suits (1 or 2 piece) Lycra is flattering for nobody! But everyone is far to busy worrying about their own race to notices what you're in. If the one piece is more comfortable for you, go for it.

As you can see in my avatar I wear a two-piece.  For the race shown I belonged to a tri club but I don't anymore so I just wear an Under Armour compression tank and my Desoto tri shorts.  If I ever get serious again about tri racing I'll probably get a one-piece for the aerodynamics and back support.  For cycling I wear Desoto tri bibs and a short-sleeve compression top.  I'm a HUGE Desoto fan for bottoms - lots of options on material and the chamois padding.

2020-02-11 9:40 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I ACTUALLY DID SOME EXERCISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH!!

Andrew, sounds like good news!

2 days off this week because 1) I am travelling and 2) I need a break.

2020-02-12 8:50 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I have not done a lot this week. And I didn't hit my goals last week. My ONLY goal this week is doing yoga 3 times. My neck is feeling really tight.

I did acupuncture on Monday and he did some cupping on my shoulder. I'd never had that done. It definitely helped right away, but it has since gotten tight again (think I slept on it funny last night). I have more acupuncture sessions scheduled the next 4 weeks, so hoping this helps a lot.

2020-02-12 8:58 AM

User image

Hi all. Would love to join this "society" as I think I fit in perfectly. About me...

NAME: Vuk (pronounced like Book, but with a "V")

LOCATION: St. Louis, MO. Born in Serbia. Immigrated to South Africa during the Balkan Wars in the early 90's. Immigrated (again) to the USA in 2006 to go to university and been here every since. I actually become a US citizen this coming February 28th, 2020.

EXPERIENCE: Former Division 1 college tennis player. All-American in 2009. Complete burn-out after graduating. Hang up the rackets for good in 2010 and have not picked them up since. Had no interest in doing any other sort of exercising either. Discovered triathlon on new year's eve 2019 as it piqued my competitive interest.

FAMILY: A wife of almost 5 years. A little baby boy who is 9 months old and a handful to say the least. 4 year old Golden Retriever and 2 year old German Shepherd.

TRAINING: Very proud of what I've done so far. Training consistently for 6 days a week (although I've only been going at it for 3 weeks). Performing full workouts as listed, no cutting corners, even though it sometimes takes me forever to get done with a swim or run.

RACING: I've never participated in a tri before. I have signed up for an indoor sprint on March 8th. I have also signed up for another spring in August and then an Olympic in September. If all goes well, I would love to do a HIM next year and then a full IM in 2022. My biggest concern is that I don't know how to pace myself. I want to do everything all out. At this rate, on race day, I will either drown in the pool, crash during the bike or collapse during the run haha. My son is my motivation. I want him to grow up seeing that daddy can do more than just drink Budweiser and watch sport on TV.

MY MENTOR/MENTEE EXPERIENCE: I welcome help, insight and tips from all corners. Right now I'm figuring things out as I go along.

FAVORITE BEER (BONUS SECTION): I drink Busch Light. It is not fancy, it is not expensive and it does not have a "unique" taste. I refer to it as "The Working Man's Beer".

Cheers everyone!
2020-02-12 10:32 AM
in reply to: vuk87

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome, Vuk!

It sounds like you're off to a great start with training! Great work, and keep it up. Doesn't matter that it's only been 3 weeks We all have to start somewhere!
2020-02-12 12:35 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Welcome Vuk!

Sounds like you are off to a great start! Pacing is a huge problem for me too. I may be slow, but I'm usually going all out in my slowness! It has taken me a whole year of working with a coach to really see the value of Z2 training, and it has started to pay off in ways I can actually see (faster times) over ways I can't really see (like lower HR for same effort).

Whirlwind couple of days for me. I had to go to extreme northern Iowa for a work thing on Monday. So, Monday looked like this--masters swim at 6-7, running around doing errands 7-8, PT 8-9, then shower and out the door at 9:45 for an 8 hour drive (ugh). Tuesday was 30' of "running" (mix of treadmill and elliptical after the treadmill died on me), then 2 hours of preparation work, 3 hours of trial testimony, then 9 hours of driving home. Ugh again. After 17 hours in the car during the course of two days, I now hate every song on my iPod! I did manage to stay grain free for both days, even if that did involve eating loaded curly fries for lunch yesterday. I will say, northern Iowa is a little light on the road side dining options.

Back on track today with a 90' VO2 max workout on the bike.
2020-02-12 3:35 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Welcome Vuk!
2020-02-13 5:19 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by vuk87 Hi all. Would love to join this "society" as I think I fit in perfectly. About me... NAME: Vuk (pronounced like Book, but with a "V") LOCATION: St. Louis, MO. Born in Serbia.

Hey wolf! (work mate's grandad is from Cacak) - welcome to the group

2020-02-13 12:06 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1:15 trainer ride full of Over/Under FTP (5% under for 1'; 5% over for 2', repeat 3x, then 7' at 50%; rinse and repeat). Then, 45' of knee pt, which had me wobbling out into the parking lot, it was intense today!
2020-02-13 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I've been totally slacking this week unless you count shoveling the driveway which I've done 4 times already.

Finally got on the bike and lifted yesterday and feel a ton better. I just run out of time when I have to shovel- but I still love the snow and it's not a bed strength workout.

Welcome Vuk!
2020-02-14 7:59 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Moonrocket

I've been totally slacking this week unless you count shoveling the driveway which I've done 4 times already.

Finally got on the bike and lifted yesterday and feel a ton better. I just run out of time when I have to shovel- but I still love the snow and it's not a bed strength workout.

Welcome Vuk!

I've also been slacking this week. Did boot camp Wednesday, but otherwise have been pretty sedentary. Hoping to get something in tomorrow morning, and then a swim on Sunday, and maybe a run as well.

Dry January was tough, but I find myself missing the level of productivity I had last month. I feel like I am forever searching for balance.
2020-02-14 8:57 AM
in reply to: #5266974

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
80’ on the bike this morning. Should have been 90’, but my legs are busted. They are so tired. There was also supposed to be a 30’ run, but it is 0F outside at my house and I noped right out of that this morning. Unfortunately, due to drivel plans, I have no time today to hit the gym. Tomorrow though, I’ll be in LA. Nice and sunny!
2020-02-14 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by vuk87 FAVORITE BEER (BONUS SECTION): I drink Busch Light. It is not fancy, it is not expensive and it does not have a "unique" taste. I refer to it as "The Working Man's Beer". Cheers everyone!

Wait, what????? 

You are a braver man than I am. 

In all seriousness, welcome to the group and we have yet ANOTHER country of origin represented (heck, you probably get credit for several at this point).  And congrats on the US citizenship - that is really awesome.

As for your triathlon plans, you sound like me 10 years ago (minus the All-American part) . Totally done with team sports, still active but gained weight, and needed something to put my competitive nature towards.  The swim was also a challenge for me, never having swam competitively before I could barely make 100 yards straight the first few times.  So, don't feel bad or alone in that regard.

Your progression from indoor to Sprint to Oly to HIM to finally IM is realistic.  So many folks try to go IM too early and get injured or burnt out, so waiting 2-3 years is wise.

This group has a ton of experience and many of us started without any athletic background, so fire away with your questions.

2020-02-15 7:20 AM

User image

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by vuk87 FAVORITE BEER (BONUS SECTION): I drink Busch Light. It is not fancy, it is not expensive and it does not have a "unique" taste. I refer to it as "The Working Man's Beer". Cheers everyone!

Wait, what????? 

You are a braver man than I am. 

In all seriousness, welcome to the group and we have yet ANOTHER country of origin represented (heck, you probably get credit for several at this point).  And congrats on the US citizenship - that is really awesome.

As for your triathlon plans, you sound like me 10 years ago (minus the All-American part) . Totally done with team sports, still active but gained weight, and needed something to put my competitive nature towards.  The swim was also a challenge for me, never having swam competitively before I could barely make 100 yards straight the first few times.  So, don't feel bad or alone in that regard.

Your progression from indoor to Sprint to Oly to HIM to finally IM is realistic.  So many folks try to go IM too early and get injured or burnt out, so waiting 2-3 years is wise.

This group has a ton of experience and many of us started without any athletic background, so fire away with your questions.

Mike - here's the first question (of many I'm sure). This morning was supposed to be a 6am workout of 50' worth of rolling hills on the treadmill. It started off like all mornings do for me, taking C4 pre-workout with 8oz of water. 20 minutes into the run things start getting bad. I had to stop and run to the bathroom with an upset stomach. This has never happened before and I'm at a loss. My assumption is that it's from last night (took the wife out for pizza on Valentines Day). I guess my question is...are there things I should be avoiding that can cause an upset stomach on race day? I'm assuming this varies from person to person but maybe any glaring red flags? I absolutely HATE quitting on something and get annoyed when I see others quit but that is what I did today and it is really bothering me. Trying to avoid a repeat of this next time if at all possible.

Cheers!
2020-02-15 9:12 AM
in reply to: #5267208

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Vuk! Hahaha! Everyone has these issues and the run is the beast for figuring out exactly what your body won’t tolerate. Everyone is different when it comes to this situation. There used to be a lady who posted over in TT that’s seemed to have an iron stomach and could eat burgers, spicy chicken, and pizza while running. I, on the other hand, can look at food and feel sick while I run. One great tool is to keep a log of your workouts and how different foods make you feel during/after. Pizza would def be on my not the night before a race list. Find something that doesn’t bother you and have that the night before big workouts and the race. Practice it a few times. Nothing new on race day is an important motto around here.
2020-02-15 2:26 PM
in reply to: #5267252

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hour run in sunny and warm LA. Minus the traffic, I could get used to this!
2020-02-16 7:26 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove Vuk! Hahaha! Everyone has these issues and the run is the beast for figuring out exactly what your body won’t tolerate. Everyone is different when it comes to this situation. There used to be a lady who posted over in TT that’s seemed to have an iron stomach and could eat burgers, spicy chicken, and pizza while running. I, on the other hand, can look at food and feel sick while I run. One great tool is to keep a log of your workouts and how different foods make you feel during/after. Pizza would def be on my not the night before a race list. Find something that doesn’t bother you and have that the night before big workouts and the race. Practice it a few times. Nothing new on race day is an important motto around here.

With you on that Gretch! I have a tendency towards ibs flare ups and my stomach is very precious, whereas my mom can eat anything!!!! I am currently reading Emily Chappell's book about winning the Transcontinental (http://thatemilychappell.com/about/) and she has iron insides. Great read btw if anybody wants an insight into long distance racing. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 5854 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123