BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-02-23 7:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
QUOTE]Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl Up at 7am 2 WEEKS IN A ROW for my Masters swim. Had a good week for workouts but not for clean eating. Too much alcohol and alcohol induced binging... oh well... Talking of beer, watched my local hockey team last night (who are not doing too well this year but managed a 2-1 win) and had a couple of these. Nice!

Awesome!!  Nothing feels worse than the waking up, driving to Masters, and the first 400 yards of an early morning swim, but NOTHING feels better once you're done.  Love early morning swims.

I should have said 2 Sundays in a row but you guessed that, right? It’s not that early tbh as it starts at 8:30 (which is early for a Sunday I guess)...
I must say I really enjoy that. When I swim on my own, I lose the will to live after 2 laps, it’s so boring... but on Sundays with that group, I swim for an hour and a half without noticing it.

Well done to your daughter on her PB by the way. Those time seem insane to me. 100 yards in under 26 seconds??

26 seconds is the time it takes me for one length (25m, a bit more than 25 y but still....)

Edited by Rollergirl 2020-02-23 7:51 AM

2020-02-23 1:54 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Now, you see, that’s why I’ll never do an Ironman. There is not enough time to train for it without getting up at stupid O’Clock.

Unfortunately, its stupid oclock to do any training, not just Ironman. I used to do most of my training (back when I was actually fit) between finishing work and dinner. But now, with a wife who also works a full time job, and a young family that just doesn't happen. By the time we have some family time, dinner, bath, bed etc I wouldn't be starting a workout till 8... and then dinner after that. Just no going to happen. And no shower at work for lunchtime workouts, I can go to the pool for some laps, but when you add the drive, time to change etc. it's only 15 min left for swimming. Barely seems worth it.

So, for now, it's mornings or nothing.
2020-02-23 2:02 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by bulfrog
So goals for the week

1. do all my prescribed physio therapy work.
2. 7 workouts, before 7am.

Unfortunately, 2 fails for me. But got close.

Did most of my physio work (the ankle feels good, but could have been better)
Had 5 workouts before 7am, which is a good step, but I need to keep backing it up until it's a habit.

I'm going to be travelling for work a bit this week, which will mess with any plans. So goals for this week:

1. Run at least 1 time when travelling
2. Get over 4 hours total for the week

Hope everybody else had a good week
2020-02-23 2:02 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Now, you see, that’s why I’ll never do an Ironman. There is not enough time to train for it without getting up at stupid O’Clock.

Unfortunately, its stupid oclock to do any training, not just Ironman. I used to do most of my training (back when I was actually fit) between finishing work and dinner. But now, with a wife who also works a full time job, and a young family that just doesn't happen. By the time we have some family time, dinner, bath, bed etc I wouldn't be starting a workout till 8... and then dinner after that. Just no going to happen. And no shower at work for lunchtime workouts, I can go to the pool for some laps, but when you add the drive, time to change etc. it's only 15 min left for swimming. Barely seems worth it.

So, for now, it's mornings or nothing.

True, you have to find the time where you can. I have only one child, who takes care of himself nowadays (he’s 15) so I can train earlier. I would rather train at 8 pm (and I do, I have a swim class at 8 on Mondays) than 6 am though, and when training for an ironman I guess you don’t choose, it’s both !
2020-02-24 7:31 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by sappho96

Originally posted by drfoodlove After a week in California, I’m ready to head home. I will miss the weather though!! Gorgeous here—and going back to 26F weather does not sound fun. I did pretty well this week. I managed four runs of varying length, no booze, and kept pretty grain free, which means I slept well all week. For once, I’m going home from this conference not exhausted.

Nice one! We have friends in the valley and it is beautiful there. I finally did my arm workout. Will post tomorrow workout plans for next week so I actually get some exercise done!

Hope everyone else is having a good week?

Way to get it done!
2020-02-24 7:36 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl Up at 7am 2 WEEKS IN A ROW for my Masters swim. Had a good week for workouts but not for clean eating. Too much alcohol and alcohol induced binging... oh well... Talking of beer, watched my local hockey team last night (who are not doing too well this year but managed a 2-1 win) and had a couple of these. Nice!

Awesome!!  Nothing feels worse than the waking up, driving to Masters, and the first 400 yards of an early morning swim, but NOTHING feels better once you're done.  Love early morning swims.

@Nicole - might be joining you guys at Canton in the Spring as my daughter's team won't be doing their 5:30 AM thing in Towson anymore and she might want to continue practicing.  I'll need my own lane. 

That would be awesome! We love having new people join us
I can't guarantee you your own lane, but we will see what we can do! Sometimes we split a lane while others circle swim. It's "member-driven," so if she has workouts in mind that she wants to do, tell her to definitely bring them along! Sometimes we go in and someone has a workout ready, and sometimes we just figure it out on the fly.

2020-02-24 7:40 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Well done to your daughter on her PB by the way. Those time seem insane to me. 100 yards in under 26 seconds??

26 seconds is the time it takes me for one length (25m, a bit more than 25 y but still....)

I think it's 26 seconds for a 50, not 100. Still hella fast though!
2020-02-24 7:45 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I was sick last week (still am tbh), so had some very lazy days. Therefore I definitely did not hit all my goals.

Yoga 3x
Do some kind of activity every day
Get at least one two-a-day in

You know what goal I did hit though? YOGA 3X!! Freaking finally. And I'm definitely feeling the difference, although my neck/shoulders/back are still definitely tight.

My goals are the same this week, since I'm "better," albeit still feel like crap. Did Sprint this morning, and hope to do some yoga this evening.
2020-02-24 8:23 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

I think it's 26 seconds for a 50, not 100. Still hella fast though!

Makes more sense.. my next questions was going to be if they wore fins and/or had a propellor up their a**

2020-02-24 12:01 PM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Up early for masters, wherein I had the joy of an unexpected 1500m swim for time. Coach wants to establish baseline at the beginning of training. It went okay, but I wasn’t expecting so do such a long, continuous swim. Followed that up with 45’ of physical therapy in my knee, which I don’t think is helping at all anymore. I am getting stronger, but my range of motion is still crap. Dr ordered an MRI on 2/14, but I haven’t heard anything about scheduling. Insurance approval is slow!
2020-02-24 12:57 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Feeling a bit better this week too; aiming for 2 x yoga, 2 x arms and 2 x healthy meals on Tuesday to Thursday. Since I've been off the bike I've been getting take out coffee and pastries each morning on the way from the bus stop. Going back to my pb bagel and yogurt, granola and banana for lunch to help wind things in a bit whilst i can hardly exercise. 

Going to be tough to commit to this so wish me luck!!!

What are other people's plans for the week?

2020-02-24 1:05 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Next recipe for you: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/feb/19/david-athertons-recipe-for-cyclists-malt-loaf

Malt loaf is well known to cyclists as a perfect high-carb, low-fat snack. It’s a mystery to me that people love plums, but deride prunes. They are fantastic and shine in this recipe. The sugar and dried fruit provide a speedy dose of energy, but you also get slow-release carbohydrates from the sweet potato that are perfect for endurance. This loaf works just as well at home – toasted, buttered and partnered with a cup of tea.

Makes one 20cm loaf

150g prunes
100g sweet potato
150g malt extract
100ml prune juice
50g soft brown sugar
50g dark musc
ovado sugar
50g porridge oats
70g strong white bread flour
140g plain flour
¼ tsp salt
1½ tsp baking powder
2 large eggs
Maple syrup to brush on top once cooked

Line a 20cm loaf tin with baking paper.

Heat the oven to 180C (160C fan)/350F/gas mark 4.

Chop the prunes into quarters and set aside. Grate the sweet potato finely and set aside.

In a saucepan, gently heat the malt extract, prune juice and sugar until dissolved.

Whiz the oats to a powder in a blender, then combine in a mixing bowl with the flour, salt and baking powder.

Pour in the sweet mixture and mix, then beat in the eggs. Finally, add the dried fruit and sweet potato and mix together well.

Transfer to the loaf tin and bake for one hour.

Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before turning out on to a wire rack and brushing with maple syrup.

This is a sticky loaf, so my tip is to slice it with a sharp breadknife once cool.

2020-02-24 8:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi ???? my roommate just taught me how to get emojis when typing anything on my computer ?? I wanted to share with y'all because I always want to use them here but didn't know how to get them.

BTW, if you're curious, you hold down the windows button and the colon button. You're welcome ?? also, sorry (not sorry) for the mass emojis you will soon experience. I will try to restrain myself...
?????????????????????????????

Edit: Apparently these emojis only show up as question marks. I'm so disappointed

Edited by nicole14e 2020-02-24 8:10 PM
2020-02-25 12:24 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Hi ???? my roommate just taught me how to get emojis when typing anything on my computer ?? I wanted to share with y'all because I always want to use them here but didn't know how to get them.

BTW, if you're curious, you hold down the windows button and the colon button. You're welcome ?? also, sorry (not sorry) for the mass emojis you will soon experience. I will try to restrain myself...
?????????????????????????????

Edit: Apparently these emojis only show up as question marks. I'm so disappointed

Funny! We can play guess the emojis ?????????

Thanks for the recipe Sapho, I still have got round to trying the first one you posted but I will...
2020-02-25 1:59 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Hi ???? my roommate just taught me how to get emojis when typing anything on my computer ?? I wanted to share with y'all because I always want to use them here but didn't know how to get them. BTW, if you're curious, you hold down the windows button and the colon button. You're welcome ?? also, sorry (not sorry) for the mass emojis you will soon experience. I will try to restrain myself... ????????????????????????????? Edit: Apparently these emojis only show up as question marks. I'm so disappointed

LOL - it's the rich text editor from the 1990s BT uses probably. 

2020-02-25 2:10 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e Hi ???? my roommate just taught me how to get emojis when typing anything on my computer ?? I wanted to share with y'all because I always want to use them here but didn't know how to get them. BTW, if you're curious, you hold down the windows button and the colon button. You're welcome ?? also, sorry (not sorry) for the mass emojis you will soon experience. I will try to restrain myself... ????????????????????????????? Edit: Apparently these emojis only show up as question marks. I'm so disappointed

How do you do it?!?!

2020-02-25 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

How do you do it?!?!

When you reply (this is only when in a web browser, not on a phone...), there is a little smiley face on the right side of the toolbar on top of the editor.  Click on it and there are a couple dozen emojis to choose from.

2020-02-25 2:40 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Mike's emoji game is strong!!

90' ride today with a bunch of 90" intervals at 110%--actually, I'm beginning to wonder if my FTP is set too low, because I blew those intervals out of the water. Followed that up with some PT for my knee and later I'm going to try an arm workout suggested by my swim coach.
2020-02-25 2:48 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Mike's emoji game is strong!! 90' ride today with a bunch of 90" intervals at 110%--actually, I'm beginning to wonder if my FTP is set too low, because I blew those intervals out of the water. Followed that up with some PT for my knee and later I'm going to try an arm workout suggested by my swim coach.

Depends on recovery time - those should be stacked together pretty tightly (like maybe 30-45" rest) to get a VO2 max workout.  They're too low or short for anaerobic endurance so maybe your coach is prepping you for something harder if it's easy for you.  Or maybe you just had a really good day and we'll call it that. 

2020-02-25 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Still on the mend from my cold but about 90% there.  Did short bike rides yesterday and today with some strength work both days and a short swim at the end today.  Hoping to let it rip by the end of the week's spin class and then start Build 1 next week fresh and ready to kill it. 

2020-02-25 3:02 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove Mike's emoji game is strong!! 90' ride today with a bunch of 90" intervals at 110%--actually, I'm beginning to wonder if my FTP is set too low, because I blew those intervals out of the water. Followed that up with some PT for my knee and later I'm going to try an arm workout suggested by my swim coach.

I'm intrigued, what arm workout you doing?

2020-02-26 9:30 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Ok--"arm workout" might be a bit of an overstatement now that I think about it. He suggested simply doing tricep extensions using a soup can. I extended it a little to include 1.) not using a damn soup can as my weight--I can do more than that!, 2.) bicep curls, and 3.) lateral extensions. So, in total, three exercises 15 reps each, with 2 sets. Everything is done in a seated position, so I can double up on the time I spend each evening in my compression boots.
2020-02-26 9:32 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
60' trainer ride this morning--high Z1 endurance training. Boring as he!!. Later this afternoon, a nice 30' run in what I hope to be a slightly clearer and warmer part of the day.
2020-02-26 2:30 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Ok--"arm workout" might be a bit of an overstatement now that I think about it. He suggested simply doing tricep extensions using a soup can. I extended it a little to include 1.) not using a damn soup can as my weight--I can do more than that!, 2.) bicep curls, and 3.) lateral extensions. So, in total, three exercises 15 reps each, with 2 sets. Everything is done in a seated position, so I can double up on the time I spend each evening in my compression boots.

That is an arm workout! My wsm mate gets me to do bicep curls and tricep extensions to max which will build some muscle. Nice one

2020-02-26 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove 60' trainer ride this morning--high Z1 endurance training. Boring as he!!. Later this afternoon, a nice 30' run in what I hope to be a slightly clearer and warmer part of the day.

Also an hour on the trainer for me, tempo stuff so also easy.  I pushed the last interval in to sweet spot / threshold land to force my HR up a little.  Cold seems to be done minus a few sniffles - back in the pool tomorrow.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 5937 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123