BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-01-04 1:32 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Easy 5k run today. Pain in the foot which F’d up my 2019 season is still here....

2020-01-05 5:59 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

Originally posted by Rollergirl Easy 5k run today. Pain in the foot which F’d up my 2019 season is still here....

Hi, Nathalie.  What sort of injury is it?  LIgament/bones/tendons?  I had some problems back 2013 and some PT, different shoes, and always wearing a supportive sock helped a bunch.

2020-01-05 6:00 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Another short run today. I’m ready to get back to normal around here. I never thought I’d say this, but Christmas break has been too long!! ??

I could not agree more...so looking forward to a routine.

2020-01-05 6:05 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Moonrocket Hi, I’d like to join back in. I was in the group at the beginning and even have the shirt to prove it :-). I dipped my toe back in with a relay last summer and came here for advice. I realized I missed it and signed up for a race this summer. My last tri was 2015... I will get my computer out to do the full bio later. I have to take my daughter to Nordic ski practice (and go for a ski) this morning (have to wake her up first). I need serious help with consistency. Kate

Welcome back, Kate.  Consistency is the main factor in any success I've had.  One of the things that has helped me is putting together a REALLY detailed training plan that fits in with my normal schedule, and then just tweak things as life/work dictates.  I have every workout in non-recovery weeks planned out through my first batch of races in May, and at least the training load spec'd out through August.

2020-01-05 6:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
brummie land

NAME: sappho96 

EXPERIENCE: Super-sprint tri ages ago; realised I am allergic to running so do the first two sensible sports instead! 

FAMILY: Auntie to a magnificent 9 y.o. niece  

TRAINING: Bike commuting and trying to increase my swimming. Hoping to rejoin my local LGBTQ swim club in the spring. 

RACING: Well a charity ride on March 15th - 25 mile ride for a local hospice. 

MY MENTOR/MENTEE EXPERIENCE: Joined the beer group last year and hopefully provide some funny spellings and different contact hours than the lot across the pond. Slightly upset Pats fan atm

FAVOURITE BEER (BONUS SECTION): Loving Vermont Hazy's at the moment, but have two local breweries that I enjoy the produce of too

Image result for birmingham brewing company and 

Edited by sappho96 2020-01-05 6:54 AM
2020-01-05 7:33 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl Easy 5k run today. Pain in the foot which F’d up my 2019 season is still here....

Hi, Nathalie.  What sort of injury is it?  LIgament/bones/tendons?  I had some problems back 2013 and some PT, different shoes, and always wearing a supportive sock helped a bunch.

Hard to say what it is. I saw 2 different physiotherapists who could not comprehend it. We’ve tried rest, new insoles, taping, strenghtening exercices. It is not as bad as over a year ago when it started but it comes back at regular intervals. Sometimes triggered by running, sometimes triggered by cycling. The week before Christmas, it was triggered by nothing (I mean no workout) and went away after a short run.

I would say it’s the tendons. Trying to eat foods that will help and eliminate those that aggravate tendonitis at the moment.
Very frustrating!

2020-01-05 7:36 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by sappho96

EXPERIENCE: Super-sprint tri ages ago; realised I am allergic to running so do the first two sensible sports instead! 

FAMILY: Auntie to a magnificent 9 y.o. niece :

TRAINING: Bike commuting and trying to increase my swimming. Hoping to rejoin my local LGBTQ swim club in the spring. 

MY MENTOR/MENTEE EXPERIENCE: Joined the beer group last year and hopefully provide some funny spellings and different contact hours than the lot across the pond. Slightly upset Pats fan atm :(

FAVOURITE BEER (BONUS SECTION): Loving Vermont Hazy's at the moment, but have two local breweries that I enjoy the produce of too :)

Welcome! Nice to have someone in the same time zone.

Edited by Rollergirl 2020-01-05 7:37 AM
2020-01-05 4:27 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e DQ, great to see you! Keep your goals small and let us know whenever you need some motivation! Gretchen, welcome back to the states! Hope your trip all went well! You will be back to your machine ways in no time! I had a rough start to my week. We lost an old friend and his memorial was on Monday. It was a sad day, and afterwards I drank a bit too much Hysteria Brown Ale (A Dark and Hazy Fortnight I believe). Tuesday I was sad, hungover, and my eyes were swollen, so took it easy for NYE and I'm now doing Dry January. I know, I don't belong in this group and I'm sorry to shame us so! Woke up New Year's Day feeling great, so went and did a 25 minute interval workout on the dreadmill. Swam with my squad this morning. We got about 2100 in (long warmup followed by 24 x 50). Still feeling it! Anyway, my motivation is renewed with the new year and I'm excited to get back into my routine, drop some lbs, and feel like myself again!

I was swimming there this morning!  I think I might have seen you from a distance walking out of the locker room...maybe 6:40ish?

For those of you who don't know, Nicole and I have lived within 15 minutes of each other and go to the same gym for as long as we've been in this mentor group, and have NEVER MET IN PERSON.  LOL

Yes! Dangit! Let's swim soon! Come to Swim Squad one of these days!
2020-01-05 4:28 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Just bit the bullet and signed up for MiTi full distance in Aug. gonna go vomit now. :P

Exciting!!!!
2020-01-05 4:30 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by sappho96

FAMILY: Auntie to a magnificent 9 y.o. niece  

MY MENTOR/MENTEE EXPERIENCE: Joined the beer group last year and hopefully provide some funny spellings and different contact hours than the lot across the pond. Slightly upset Pats fan atm

FAVOURITE BEER (BONUS SECTION): Loving Vermont Hazy's at the moment, but have two local breweries that I enjoy the produce of too

Image result for birmingham brewing company and 

You can cheer for the Ravens if you'd like
2020-01-05 4:32 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Lots of posts to catch up on, I love it!

Got in a 35 minute dreadmill workout on Friday evening, then did boot camp yesterday. Super sore so decided to take today off.

2020-01-05 10:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Just bit the bullet and signed up for MiTi full distance in Aug. gonna go vomit now. :P

Are you feeling better today :-)

That is totall badass!
2020-01-05 10:59 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Extreme Veteran

NAME: Kate 

EXPERIENCE: A few Xterras and a few sprints, swam in a bunch of HIM relays. I swam D1 for my state U for two years of college.

FAMILY: Married, 10yo daughter and elderly mother

TRAINING: Pretty poor been doing three 20 minute cardio sessions and three weight sessions a week with weekend warrior playing thrown in.

RACING: Signed up for one Xterra could add a second. Might do a road race but really hate riding next to cars.

MY MENTOR/MENTEE EXPERIENCE: Was in BDAS years ago and check back every once in a while.

FAVOURITE BEER (BONUS SECTION): Guinness - I lived in Dublin for a few fabulous year and it just makes me happy

2020-01-05 11:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Moonrocket Hi, I’d like to join back in. I was in the group at the beginning and even have the shirt to prove it :-). I dipped my toe back in with a relay last summer and came here for advice. I realized I missed it and signed up for a race this summer. My last tri was 2015... I will get my computer out to do the full bio later. I have to take my daughter to Nordic ski practice (and go for a ski) this morning (have to wake her up first). I need serious help with consistency. Kate

Welcome back, Kate.  Consistency is the main factor in any success I've had.  One of the things that has helped me is putting together a REALLY detailed training plan that fits in with my normal schedule, and then just tweak things as life/work dictates.  I have every workout in non-recovery weeks planned out through my first batch of races in May, and at least the training load spec'd out through August.

That’s a great idea! I see your strava link- do you track all of your workouts there? I’ve never used it for anything other than finding unofficial mountain bike trails :-)

I’m curious what tech people use. I do have a garmin watch that I occasionally remember to turn on. I need to figure it out since Sat I was messing with ski wax and did two identical 2.5 mile laps and want to see how they compare after I changed the wax.
2020-01-06 3:47 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hi Kate, I have Garmin watch, which I turn on every time I work out, or even walk the dog, as I am monitoring calories and trying not to consume more than I need.
Not really using it for anything else at the moment.
2020-01-06 7:35 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Moonrocket

That’s a great idea! I see your strava link- do you track all of your workouts there? I’ve never used it for anything other than finding unofficial mountain bike trails :-) I’m curious what tech people use. I do have a garmin watch that I occasionally remember to turn on. I need to figure it out since Sat I was messing with ski wax and did two identical 2.5 mile laps and want to see how they compare after I changed the wax.

I do use Strava but that's more of a social media thing, though there are some training metrics on the site.

Predominantly I use a paid Training Peaks account for planning and tracking, plus I also track here on BT as I have almost 10 years of workout data here.  I used to do my planning here on BT but the interface is too hard to work with and you have to click down to see details.

I use a Garmin watch with a HRM, and then I have a power meter on my bike (didn't always have one...TrainerRoad does a good power estimate called Virtual Power which is close enough for training).  I'm not a step tracker so I don't use my watch in that capacity unless I'm specifically going for a long (like 3+ miles) walk or hike or something like that.

The HRM and power meter data combines to track my "training stress", which Training Peaks uses to calculate fitness and fatigue and recommends a training plan accordingly based on when you want to peak for A races.  You could spend days reading up on the science behind it.

2020-01-06 8:15 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by drfoodlove Another short run today. I’m ready to get back to normal around here. I never thought I’d say this, but Christmas break has been too long!! ??

I could not agree more...so looking forward to a routine.

I'll admit, when the alarm went off this morning, I didn't think break was long enough!!
2020-01-06 8:18 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Kate, welcome back! I am not the best person to give advice on planning workouts and such, as I mostly wing it, although try to plan each week at the beginning. This is one of my biggest goals this year.

I don't have anything tracking my workouts anymore either. I will probably end up getting some sort of garmin soon as my training increases.
2020-01-06 8:20 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to Sprint this morning, which is a 30 minute HIIT cycling class. I'm really bad about getting out on my bike, and have had a trainer sitting in my basement that I've never used (it's one of the roller ones and I'm kind of scared of it), so these classes are where I get most of my bike training. I know it's not the same, but it's close enough for me

I did 20 minutes of yoga at home after.
2020-01-06 8:24 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Sometimes we will share our weekly goals as a group. Anyone interested in doing that? Mine this week are:

1. Be consistent with training
2. Get to bed by 10pm every night
3. Do at least 10 minutes of yoga every day

I want to get in the habit of doing yoga every day. Even just a short amount is going to make a huge difference for me. I'm thinking about buying another mat to keep in my office at work so I can flow at lunchtime
2020-01-06 8:28 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Welcome back, Kate, Nicole, Sappho...anyone else I missed (?!?!--sorry!)!!

This morning I set my alarm and woke up at a specific time for the first time in three weeks. I did not enjoy it at all, so I think I'll skip that part tomorrow...I wish!

Hit the gym for a strength training session early this morning. I'm happy to report that even with some serious slacking on my part over the last few weeks, there has been no loss of strength...at least as measured against the weight lifted on the record sheet I found in my locker which may be from either Aug 2018 or 2019--or earlier, I suppose! Who knows...it was wrinkled with old sweat and dated August. :P

Tech--I love technology, although sometimes I suspect the feeling isn't mutual. I have a Garmin (920xt, if that matters) that I wear all the time and am pretty religious about turning on when I do actual intentional movement. I also have a Garmin 130 for my bike, largely because my 920 will likely die somewhere in the middle of an IM distance race, and I don't want that. I have power meters on both my bikes (hub based for roadie, pedal based for tt bike). I use Training Peaks for workout planning (coach does that part) and recording to communicate with my coach. Garmin auto uploads my workouts to TP and BT. I have more years of training data and more detailed training data on BT and maintain that because when I'm done with my IM I'll probably not have a coach any more and then TP goes away (with all my data!). Oh...and I also record my workouts by hand in a training journal--the exact opposite of tech!

2020-01-06 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove  I have more years of training data and more detailed training data on BT and maintain that because when I'm done with my IM I'll probably not have a coach any more and then TP goes away (with all my data!). Oh...and I also record my workouts by hand in a training journal--the exact opposite of tech!

TP won't get rid of your data - even if you have just a free account it'll still be there you just won't get all of the analytics that a paid account brings.

2020-01-06 10:15 AM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

Extreme Veteran
I like the goals for the week. Mine are pretty basic.

Use my standing desk everyday I’m in the office for at least 15 minutes (find stick to wedge under it since it tends to fall while I’m working)

Go to office gym at least once to get in habit.

Swim once

At least three cardio and three strength workouts

2020-01-06 12:41 PM
in reply to: #5265295

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Goals for the week:
1.) meal plan and grocery shop—done!
2.) hit every workout coach plans this wee
3.) get back on the grain free train (so far, so good)
2020-01-07 4:08 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Weekly goals. good idea. although my weekly goals will pretty much be the same every week: 6 x workouts and "clean" (ish) eating (trying to cut down on foods that may aggravate tendonitis such as white bread, sugar, alcohol, red meat and eat more of what is supposedly better : green veg and stuff)

Went swimming yesterday (for the first time since my last race in August...) so that's workout one done. 5 to go. Today is my traditional day off as it's the day I get together with my little rock/blues/etc band. That almost counts as a workout, as I play drums, which can get the bpm up on some songs...

Edited by Rollergirl 2020-01-07 4:11 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 5895 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123