BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-04-03 3:18 PM
in reply to: #5269109

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
1:20 run today. It is absolutely gorgeous here (70F, mostly sunny, slight breeze), just a great day for a long run. Training peaks tells me I ran my second fastest five mile segment today, although I only started using training peaks a year and a bit ago, so I’m not sure I believe it. On the other hand, I don’t have any data to specifically refute that statement, so it must be science!

Took doggo in for her second cold cell laser treatment on her knee today and she seems to be much better. She is at least moving around a lot better (which freaks me out, because I don’t want her reinjuring herself all the time). This dog is weird—I have never heard her yelp in pain her entire life. I have watched this dog slam into columns and trees at full tilt (and yes, it makes us worry about her eyesight and brains, but we had the former checked out and seeming she can see the tree!). I have flat out stepped on her tail. My wife dropped a 5# dumbbell on her (accidentally, of course). Never heard her yelp at all. That’s why I’m so worried!! She doesn’t tell us when things hurt (and don’t tell me animals can’t feel pain!)

2020-04-04 3:11 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
I certainly won’t tell you that animals don’t feel pain but maybe your dog doesn’t... I hope she gets better.

No training for me for almost 2 weeks. I have this bug that won’t go (maybe it’s the infamous C-virus, who knows, I do hope so, would be one less thing to worry about)

Can’t wait to get back into some kind of training routine. I have been commuting from bed to couch for so long my back hurts.

Keep safe everyone!
2020-04-04 7:42 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl I certainly won’t tell you that animals don’t feel pain but maybe your dog doesn’t... I hope she gets better. No training for me for almost 2 weeks. I have this bug that won’t go (maybe it’s the infamous C-virus, who knows, I do hope so, would be one less thing to worry about) Can’t wait to get back into some kind of training routine. I have been commuting from bed to couch for so long my back hurts. Keep safe everyone!

There's been another long-tailed virus thing going around the U.S. this year.  My director (who is also a triathlete) has it and has been coughing for like six weeks.  Weird stuff going around this year even before this mess.  Stay well!

2020-04-04 7:48 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

So far I've had four (out of five) races cancelled this spring...two because they're not going to finish work on the national park where they hold the weekly race series until at least July 1st.  Still holding out for my May 16th "A" race (which will now be my "only" race).  I'm about to jump on the trainer for a race simulation Sufferfest workout then a bunch of virtual core work from my yoga studio.

In some fun news, my daughter has picked her college and decided to stay local at University of Maryland - Baltimore County (AKA UMBC - the only 16 seed to win in the NCAA tournament, which happened a couple of years ago).  Probably not going to swim varsity as it's D1 and she has a huge commitment to the honors program she got into, so she'll probably swim club/Masters.  Runner-up was Rensselaer up in New York - could've swam varsity but just too spendy (like $100K difference overall).  I was hoping for RPI just to get the moving away experience but we're going to try to make it as close as possible.

2020-04-04 2:06 PM
in reply to: #5269147

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1:45 on the trainer. Over/unders while watching Star Trek Discovery. Somewhat difficult to concentrate on watching power while reading Klingon subtitles.
2020-04-05 4:58 PM
in reply to: #5269175

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Two hour trainer ride this afternoon. Followed by a little video gaming. I played for about an hour and a half and now my forearms are sore!! I do t game much, but I sure do squeeze the controller when I do!!

2020-04-06 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

90 minute bike ride OUTSIDE yesterday.    Really easy overall but I still have to put some effort in to get up hills at 200 lbs.  Felt great to get some outside time, then needed a Claritin. LOL

2020-04-06 2:38 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Managed a four mile ride outside, and leg did not hurt!!! Then did a bunch of core and arm stuff. Plank for two minutes; leg a bit sore now but progress

Hope we are all doing as ok as possible!

2020-04-07 7:35 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by sappho96

Managed a four mile ride outside, and leg did not hurt!!! Then did a bunch of core and arm stuff. Plank for two minutes; leg a bit sore now but progress

Hope we are all doing as ok as possible!

Awesome - continue to take it easy as you get better.  Glad it's improving.  

2020-04-07 9:05 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
90' trainer ride here this morning, followed by a short set of arm lifts.

Just read they canceled the Grand Rapids Triathlon yesterday. Super bummed. I hadn't registered for it yet, but it was going to be my HIM in the run up to my IM race in August. I am still holding out hope that August races will be possible. Maybe I'm delusional, but I have to believe for now!

They also canceled our local Sprint over Memorial Day weekend. Bummed about that one as well, since it was super fun and lots of people I know did it.
2020-04-07 10:25 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone,
I had kind of a lazy weekend. Went on a long walk yesterday b/c it was perfect outside. Got up and did a quick 2.5 mile run this morning before my 7:45am blood donation. Now I am quite dizzy, so that's great. Gonna try to keep up with workouts this week while my body adjusts and builds my supply back up. I figured now is as good a time as any to donate b/c there is a critical need, and it's not like I have any activities I'm missing

Hope everyone is well. Sappho, happy to hear your leg is doing better!

2020-04-07 11:27 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove 90' trainer ride here this morning, followed by a short set of arm lifts. Just read they canceled the Grand Rapids Triathlon yesterday. Super bummed. I hadn't registered for it yet, but it was going to be my HIM in the run up to my IM race in August. I am still holding out hope that August races will be possible. Maybe I'm delusional, but I have to believe for now! They also canceled our local Sprint over Memorial Day weekend. Bummed about that one as well, since it was super fun and lots of people I know did it.

Sorry to hear about those Gretch. 

2020-04-07 3:34 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Expert
Subject: ---
Hi everyone - I hope you are all doing well. I've been reading up on everyone and it's nice to come home to BT!

Last week - I dusted (literally) my bike off, which I haven't used in more than two years, and got in 3 good rides. The weather out here has been outstanding and I literally couldn't resist getting out there again. The rides were slow - I average 10.8 mph and short ( 6, 6, and 10) but I got them in.

I have a plan to lose 16 pounds (I'm currently 90 pounds over my target weight) and I bought a bottle of Lagavulin (scotch) as motivation. Hopefully, that will help me with my eating because I have been eating like crap lately (hence the 90 pounds). Today at work they were giving out gummy bears (they're trying to keep us happy) and I ate 4 servings. But hopefully over time, the diet will come back to me.

Today my legs are sore so I'm just going to go for a walk with the family tonight.

As for beverages.... I've been getting in scotches and bourbons during this lovely Covid-19 dust up but I also discovered a new beer shop close to my new house. I've been drinking some of my favorite beers including Pacifico Clara (the most refreshing mexican beer I've ever had in the states, Two Hearted Ale (my favorite IPA on the planet) and Resin by Six Point out of NYC. Any suggestions of beers you think I might be able to lay my hands on - please don't hesitate to send them my way.

All right.... I admit my attendance has been spotty for the last couple of years but hopefully this will be the time that I get back into being a triathlete instead of a fat couch potato. I will make it my goal to try to check-in at least every other day. My motivation still isn't back yet - but I feel like I'm moving in the right direction.

Hope you are all well! Let me know what you're drinking.

DQ
2020-04-08 12:42 PM
in reply to: #5269209

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Dave—good to see you! I see a lot of “hopefullys” is your post. What’s your plan? Let us know what we can do to support you!

30’ run today. It is GORGEOUS out today, so I did the run and then started the spring yard work. Ugh...picking up sticks that fell in the yard over the winter—hammies are gonna be sore tomorrow!!
2020-04-08 10:36 PM
in reply to: #5269280

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Anyone used a TRX system? Likes/dislikes?
2020-04-09 5:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Anyone used a TRX system? Likes/dislikes?

I've fiddled around them over the years - they have had them at gyms I've belonged to.  Takes some getting used to like perfecting the form but it's a good combination strength/core workout, and you can roughly simulate swimming or at least use some of the muscles.  I like to think of it as Pilates while hanging in the air.  

It's like most home workout equipment, the more you spend the better it is (and in most cases the more space it needs).

Edited by jmhpsu93 2020-04-09 5:54 AM

2020-04-09 5:52 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

My spring "A" race just got postponed, no surprise there so the entire spring season is done.  Just keeping on with developing comprehensive bike fitness.

My back has really been flaring up lately.  I guess I didn't know how much swimming on at least a semi-regular basis helped it.  

It was 81 degrees here yesterday, so I took my bike out for what I had hoped would be a long 2 hour ride.  15 minutes in got a flat (first one in two years, so I was due).  No big deal, fixed in the flat in like six minutes with my spare tube and CO2, then couldn't get the back wheel back on  For like 20 minutes I wrestled with it before putting my tail between my legs and called my wife to come get me.  Thankfully bike shops are essential services and my guy took care of it later in the day.  Nothing like a reliable LBS where they know you - they had a 10-day service backlog.  Back on the trainer today.

And welcome back, Dave.  Time to get 'yo azz in gear.  Bathing suit season is coming.  

2020-04-09 6:23 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Dave—good to see you! I see a lot of “hopefullys” is your post. What’s your plan? Let us know what we can do to support you!

30’ run today. It is GORGEOUS out today, so I did the run and then started the spring yard work. Ugh...picking up sticks that fell in the yard over the winter—hammies are gonna be sore tomorrow!!

NIce run.

My girlfriend just lost her job so we are doing spring gardening as well. When I'm raking I just tell myself that I'm getting in a "swim" workout and that makes it a little better. God, I miss my pool.

2020-04-09 6:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

My spring "A" race just got postponed, no surprise there so the entire spring season is done.  Just keeping on with developing comprehensive bike fitness.

My back has really been flaring up lately.  I guess I didn't know how much swimming on at least a semi-regular basis helped it.  

It was 81 degrees here yesterday, so I took my bike out for what I had hoped would be a long 2 hour ride.  15 minutes in got a flat (first one in two years, so I was due).  No big deal, fixed in the flat in like six minutes with my spare tube and CO2, then couldn't get the back wheel back on  For like 20 minutes I wrestled with it before putting my tail between my legs and called my wife to come get me.  Thankfully bike shops are essential services and my guy took care of it later in the day.  Nothing like a reliable LBS where they know you - they had a 10-day service backlog.  Back on the trainer today.

And welcome back, Dave.  Time to get 'yo azz in gear.  Bathing suit season is coming.  

Let's hear it for LBSs - ours are still open and it's great to have them when you really need them.

Sorry to hear that your back is hurting. Hope it feels better soon!

DQ

Edited by Qua17 2020-04-09 6:26 AM
2020-04-09 6:34 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Yesterday - I got in my 30 minute ride but I was less than excited about it. First - I was slow.... I averaged around 11.5 mph - snails pace....Plus, I had no idea where the heck to ride to because I just moved a couple of weeks ago and don't know any good routes around here. There is a dirt bike path but the grit from the wet trail has played havoc with my drive train.

Anyone know the best bike app that includes already scouted out routes that you can follow along on your phone?

I weighed myself today and I've dropped 1.5 lbs - so the biking and walking is working.

Hope everyone has a good day!

DQ
2020-04-09 8:29 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
DQ, welcome back! I KNOW this is your time to get back into it. No better time than the present
How did you feel after your bike ride? And when you weighed yourself and saw you were down? Focus on the good stuff and maybe that will help your motivation! I never regret a workout, but I definitely regret skipping them.

2020-04-09 5:56 PM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Dave—great job on the ride! I have the same trouble as you...riding outside makes me anxious about where to go. Is there a good mapmyride or strava community in your area?

Mike—sorry to hear your back is sore. Any chance for ows in your area?

90' on the trainer today, just steady state mind numbingly boring, so I watched a bunch of videos on how to build a retaining wall and a paver patio and the time just FLEW by. Seriously, I actually went over what coach prescribed. I spent all afternoon planning a new patio for our yard..I'm all ready if we ever get to go off property again!
2020-04-10 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Dave—great job on the ride! I have the same trouble as you...riding outside makes me anxious about where to go. Is there a good mapmyride or strava community in your area? Mike—sorry to hear your back is sore. Any chance for ows in your area? 90' on the trainer today, just steady state mind numbingly boring, so I watched a bunch of videos on how to build a retaining wall and a paver patio and the time just FLEW by. Seriously, I actually went over what coach prescribed. I spent all afternoon planning a new patio for our yard..I'm all ready if we ever get to go off property again!

Only if I want to freeze to death. LOL  Water temp still in the low 50s around here in the rivers and the bay.  I have a wetsuit, but it's sleeveless and I probably wouldn't give it a go under 65 or so for water temps.

2020-04-10 2:50 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove Dave—great job on the ride! I have the same trouble as you...riding outside makes me anxious about where to go. Is there a good mapmyride or strava community in your area? Mike—sorry to hear your back is sore. Any chance for ows in your area? 90' on the trainer today, just steady state mind numbingly boring, so I watched a bunch of videos on how to build a retaining wall and a paver patio and the time just FLEW by. Seriously, I actually went over what coach prescribed. I spent all afternoon planning a new patio for our yard..I'm all ready if we ever get to go off property again!

Only if I want to freeze to death. LOL  Water temp still in the low 50s around here in the rivers and the bay.  I have a wetsuit, but it's sleeveless and I probably wouldn't give it a go under 65 or so for water temps.

HA! Our swim coach was out on Tuesday and said the water was 74F at our local lake!! I'm ready for OWS, but the air temp dropped into the 30s last night, so maybe not quite yet!
2020-04-10 4:08 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

DQ, welcome back! I KNOW this is your time to get back into it. No better time than the present
How did you feel after your bike ride? And when you weighed yourself and saw you were down? Focus on the good stuff and maybe that will help your motivation! I never regret a workout, but I definitely regret skipping them.

Thanks Nicole! I need to find that motivation. Right now - I have to force myself to go out and do it. But I am hoping that I will gain speed with each workout and I'll find the joy I used to experience. Right now, my motivation is the bottle of scotch that I promised myself if I lost 16 pounds.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 5720 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123