BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-05-17 1:38 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Alright - goals for the week.

1) Continue to work on my ab exercises
2) Take the steps to lose weight (any amount will do)
3) Talk to Alan on Tuesday about coaching
4) 5 workouts - 3 bike and 2 walks - plus I'll also do some raking (my feeble attempt to be like Gretchen)

2020-05-17 8:03 PM
in reply to: #5270176

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
@ Dave, congrats on the job!!! Yay!! I’m so happy for you and also that you are on the road to developing your consistency! That’s wonderful!!

@Gretchen.. giiiirl!! Yikes for your wife! I hope she’s okay! You literally are rebuilding this house from bottom up!! Your tenacity is amazing!
2020-05-17 8:07 PM
in reply to: #5270238

User image

, Vermont
Started on a 6 mile fast walk on Friday and at about 2.6 in it started pouring and thundering so I ran .7 back to the crashpad. That was the end of that.
Yesterday I went four miles with walking a mile, running a mile, walking a mile, etc. I had planned to run the whole time but had eaten a peanut butter sandwich not long before going out and it didn’t settle quite how I hoped it would. So when I got back I rode on the trainer for 45 minutes (after forgetting to start my watch for the first 15. Doh!).
Today I’m down in Lafayette, LA and hit the treadmill for 3 miles before grabbing a bite. The gym is open here in the hotel in Lafayette so tomorrow I’ll run again and use the weights here before working all night tomorrow night. Yay! It feels so good to be moving on mire if a daily basis.
2020-05-18 8:42 AM
in reply to: #5270239

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
DQ— Congrats on the new job!

Jenn—running in a light rain is one of my favorites. Running in a downpour just sucks. Sorry your plans got scarpered.

Weekend was a jumble of blah for me. Saturday morning I worked on the patio some, knowing it was going to rain in the afternoon. Then I *tried* to do my long ride of the week. It.was.awful. Sunday, I learned my lesson and did my 2hr ride before any work and it.was.awful. Both days I ended up cutting the ride short because it didn’t feel like it was doing me good (difference between “the burn” and whatever this awfulness was). My hips and legs were just dead and my HR was through the roof on Sunday. I got 6 peak performances on Training Peaks, all of them HR related—including highest 5” HR ever (208), and highest 5’ HR (188); on a ride in Z2. I don’t think the HRM was malfunctioning. It felt like that. Very weird though, as when I did a 30’ run on Sunday afterwards, it was fine. HR a little higher than normal, but it matched with speed of the run. Today is my rest day, so I got extra sleep last night. Here’s hoping that helps.
2020-05-18 1:47 PM
in reply to: #5270246

User image

, Vermont
Gosh Gretchen, I’m sorry to hear about the tough bikes. Maybe you’re not rested or recovered enough with all the other activities you have going on? Or possibly your body is trying to fight something off? Heartrates tend to rise if the body is trying to fight something off. It looks like the week ahead should have some nice weather so hopefully you can get out for a nice ride again.
2020-05-18 1:49 PM
in reply to: #5270258

User image

, Vermont
Still in Lafayette, just came up from the gym and a 3 mile jog and a half hour of core and weights. It’s so nice out I think I’ll go sleep by the pool for a couple of hours before I leave tonight. Wichita is up next!

2020-05-18 5:17 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Well, motivation has dropped a bit with my race cancellation but I’m hoping a few smaller local races will be a go so I need to get in gear. I have been working my a55 off at work though and my overnights wind up being only about 10-11 hours. It sounds like a lot, but factor in an hour for transportation, time for food and unwinding to fall asleep and I’m lucky to maybe have 7 hours of rest. If it’s day time “rest” I’m lucky to get 4-5 hours of actual “sleep” a day and by the end of the week I’m just trashed. I just finished a week and am here in KY. I hope to get a trainer ride in today and tomorrow before I start a week long brutal, backside of the clock trip before I finally get to go home to VT on Saturday the 23rd. I do have a couple of apps on my phone for in-room workouts but I need the discipline to do them.
Oh! I aged up this past week and hit the mid-century mark. Ack! Haha. Hubby said we’ll have a bash next year since no one can come this year anyway.
Thank you for posting everyone, it keeps me going and inspires me!

Happy birthday!!!!!
2020-05-18 5:20 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hour run today in the rain. I waited all day for the rain to clear up and finally about 2 it stopped and the radar looked clear. I got about 1/3 of a mile from the house, and it started raining. It wasn’t bad, not too heavy.

In other news, we’ve had a weird weak spot in the floor of our guest bedroom since we moved in. We rarely use that room, so it is totally one of those “out of sight, out of mind” projects. Well...yesterday, my wife went in there for some reason and put her leg through the floor. She’s okay (thankfully), but apparently my next project will be to fix the floor in the guest bedroom and fix the ceiling in my living room.

Ahh glad she's okay!
2020-05-18 5:24 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Qua17

Well - I finally have some good news to report. First - I lost three pounds this week. While the change on the scale is a major victory so too is the determination I showed this week. It's been a while since I've been this focused on my well-being and it feels good to have accomplished something that I set out to do (lose two pounds this week).

My second piece of good news is that I'm starting a new job tomorrow. As some of you may remember - I'm a teacher or I was a teacher for more than 20 years. But sadly after getting laid off from my last job, I haven't been able to find a job is the education field. So, I switched careers and went into customer service. So, starting tomorrow, I will be working for a company called the Bill Reduction Company and will be negotiating with creditors to get people better rates on their credit cards, cable, internet, cell phone, etc. It's not a great job as the pay sucks but it is a start in the industry and for that I am thankful. So please wish me luck.

Great news x 2!!! Congrats on the weight loss and the new job! Hope your first day went well!!!
2020-05-18 5:41 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone! Sounds like lots of people had some solid workouts in the nice weather this weekend! Gretchen, sorry to hear you did not, but I think we all have those days, and you have been busy lately!

I had another trainer workout on Saturday, and my glutes were SO SORE the next day (lots of lunges and squats). Later went on a long walk with my brother and his fam (my nephews rode bikes). Sunday I took it easy b/c my butt hurt so much! haha

This morning I woke up, went on about a 3 mile run, and then had our training session with our trainer Marissa. It was a pretty solid morning. We also have been doing 10 minutes of core every day (with Sunday off this week).

I've been doing a decent job tracking my meals, but have not been eating super well since the weekend. Back to the weekdays where I'm able to eat well and make most of my food.
2020-05-18 5:43 PM

User image

Expert

Gosh Gretchen, I’m sorry to hear about the tough bikes. Maybe you’re not rested or recovered enough with all the other activities you have going on? Or possibly your body is trying to fight something off? Heartrates tend to rise if the body is trying to fight something off. It looks like the week ahead should have some nice weather so hopefully you can get out for a nice ride again.

Good thoughts Jenn.... Gretchen - I'm wondering if it could be nutrition related. Not only in terms of what you eat on a day to day basis, but also what you ingest before, during, and perhaps most importanly, after your run. When I trained for my ironman - I really had a problem with getting my nutrition right. You've probably already thought about it - but I thought I could just bring it up just in case.

Good luck!

2020-05-18 5:46 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

Hey everyone! Sounds like lots of people had some solid workouts in the nice weather this weekend! Gretchen, sorry to hear you did not, but I think we all have those days, and you have been busy lately!

I had another trainer workout on Saturday, and my glutes were SO SORE the next day (lots of lunges and squats). Later went on a long walk with my brother and his fam (my nephews rode bikes). Sunday I took it easy b/c my butt hurt so much! haha

This morning I woke up, went on about a 3 mile run, and then had our training session with our trainer Marissa. It was a pretty solid morning. We also have been doing 10 minutes of core every day (with Sunday off this week).

I've been doing a decent job tracking my meals, but have not been eating super well since the weekend. Back to the weekdays where I'm able to eat well and make most of my food.

A "pretty solid morning" indeed! Good luck eating this week.

2020-05-19 1:59 PM
in reply to: #5270259

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Weird trainer ride this morning. It was 2x20’ @FTP. Al okay, except if I took my eyes off the power meter, power dropped 10-15w, even though I thought I was pushing just as hard. Wasn’t a problem to do the intervals, it was just weird that I couldn’t do anything except stare at the display and watch that little number. Take a drink? Bam...-15w. Change songs on playlist? -10w!!

Followed by a 40’ run that went really well and now I’m moving furniture. Ugh. I have, however, identified where all the dog’s tennis balls went.
2020-05-19 7:15 PM

User image

Expert
I went for such a nice ride tonight. It was a recovery ride so I just had a good time clocking 9 miles on the bike. It was nice to enjoy a ride - it's been a while.

2020-05-20 11:55 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Weird trainer ride this morning. It was 2x20’ @FTP. Al okay, except if I took my eyes off the power meter, power dropped 10-15w, even though I thought I was pushing just as hard. Wasn’t a problem to do the intervals, it was just weird that I couldn’t do anything except stare at the display and watch that little number. Take a drink? Bam...-15w. Change songs on playlist? -10w!! Followed by a 40’ run that went really well and now I’m moving furniture. Ugh. I have, however, identified where all the dog’s tennis balls went.

That happens to me all the time when distracted, especially at a harder effort like at FTP.  That 2 x 20' is a tough workout...well done!

2020-05-20 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Gosh Gretchen, I’m sorry to hear about the tough bikes. Maybe you’re not rested or recovered enough with all the other activities you have going on? Or possibly your body is trying to fight something off? Heartrates tend to rise if the body is trying to fight something off. It looks like the week ahead should have some nice weather so hopefully you can get out for a nice ride again.
Good thoughts Jenn.... Gretchen - I'm wondering if it could be nutrition related. Not only in terms of what you eat on a day to day basis, but also what you ingest before, during, and perhaps most importanly, after your run. When I trained for my ironman - I really had a problem with getting my nutrition right. You've probably already thought about it - but I thought I could just bring it up just in case. Good luck!

Agreed with the above points - fatigue, nutrition, heck maybe even stress from your wife almost falling through the floor.  There aren't too many people who train like you and do all the manual labor around building that patio like you do.  Hopefully it'll go away in a few days.

2020-05-20 12:54 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi everyone!
I took it easy yesterday. Not really on purpose, but mostly because I was at the end of the book I was reading and chose to stay in bed and read in the AM rather than get a workout in. Got in a workout from my one trainer this morning to make up for it, followed by 20 minutes of abs. Gonna try to get some yoga in this afternoon, although work has been nuts so it's not likely at this point.
2020-05-20 1:15 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got in another Zwift race today.  I had to upgrade my computer system from a very mediocre laptop to a basic gaming rig to make Zwift work right.  Worked great and graphics are SO much better.  And Zwift doesn't freeze up and kick me out during a race, so that's helpful. 

Race was a 20k road race:  10k pancake flat, 8k two climbs and descents, then a 2k flat finish.  I went out a little quicker than I wanted as I was trying to hold with the lead C group but got dropped about 2k before the climbs (I was averaging 280 watts at the time - not sustainable).  Had a big gap behind me so dialed it back before attacking the climbs.  Cracked a little on the 2nd (longer) climb, but had a great last 5k of the race as three of us working together held off a charging group of about 10 riders by 2 seconds.  I got out sprinted as I was toast by then and came in 23rd out of 39 in C group.  Got all-time record power numbers from about 7 through 32 minutes.

It's 55 degrees with 30 mph winds here today and weather is looking kinda meh through the weekend, so probably mostly Zwifting for me except maybe Saturday.

I'll be channeling my inner Gretchen on Friday with a pretty large honey-do list around the house, through with significantly less tonnage of stuff moved I'm sure. 

2020-05-21 6:50 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Got in another Zwift race today.  I had to upgrade my computer system from a very mediocre laptop to a basic gaming rig to make Zwift work right.  Worked great and graphics are SO much better.  And Zwift doesn't freeze up and kick me out during a race, so that's helpful. 

Race was a 20k road race:  10k pancake flat, 8k two climbs and descents, then a 2k flat finish.  I went out a little quicker than I wanted as I was trying to hold with the lead C group but got dropped about 2k before the climbs (I was averaging 280 watts at the time - not sustainable).  Had a big gap behind me so dialed it back before attacking the climbs.  Cracked a little on the 2nd (longer) climb, but had a great last 5k of the race as three of us working together held off a charging group of about 10 riders by 2 seconds.  I got out sprinted as I was toast by then and came in 23rd out of 39 in C group.  Got all-time record power numbers from about 7 through 32 minutes.

It's 55 degrees with 30 mph winds here today and weather is looking kinda meh through the weekend, so probably mostly Zwifting for me except maybe Saturday.

I'll be channeling my inner Gretchen on Friday with a pretty large honey-do list around the house, through with significantly less tonnage of stuff moved I'm sure. 

Damn Mike - you make even a trainer ride sound exciting. Congrats on the great power numbers! You make me wish I had bought a smart trainer.
2020-05-21 6:56 AM

User image

Expert
Good Morning Everyone!

Two quick things to report. First - I had a good session with my PT and he was able to give me some new exercises to harden up my core. Hopefully these new exericses will help with my sore back which has been bugging me due to all the bending I used to have to do at work. Now that I'm in training, my back hurts from sitting all day. SO I hope these new exercises will help. Second - I got in a 30 minute walk tonight with my girlfriend. It wasn't much but it was something. I'm still hoping to lose two pounds this week - but it's going to be close.

Hope everyone has a good rest of the week.
2020-05-21 12:47 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Damn Mike - you make even a trainer ride sound exciting. Congrats on the great power numbers! You make me wish I had bought a smart trainer.

Still using a dumb Kurt Kinetic Road Machine with an old school Powertap hub.  I know smart trainers are really coming down in price but I like using the same equipment indoors and out. 

Zwift racing is a blast, even though there is a lot of cheating with under-reporting your weight or sandbagging in the wrong category.  I'm not sure why people get a jolt out of doing well in a race where they cheated or were overqualified but whatever.

2020-05-21 4:00 PM

User image

Expert

Still using a dumb Kurt Kinetic Road Machine with an old school Powertap hub.  I know smart trainers are really coming down in price but I like using the same equipment indoors and out. 

Zwift racing is a blast, even though there is a lot of cheating with under-reporting your weight or sandbagging in the wrong category.  I'm not sure why people get a jolt out of doing well in a race where they cheated or were overqualified but whatever.

WHat does it take to have a zwift account. What type of equipment do you need? Thanks!

2020-05-21 7:09 PM

User image

Expert
Another ride in the books.... today was absolutely gorgeous - temps in the mid 70's with sunny skies and hardly a hint of a breeze. I rode a quick warm up and then did 4 x 4' in the big ring to build muscle. I really pushed it. Then I came home and dutifully did my PT exercises. Despite having a good session yesterday - I had the hardest time engaging my core. I even bought a balloon to help (it's one of my pt's tricks) but I just didn't feel the burn. I think Mike suggested planks and they have me doing modified ones to help protect my back. I'll keep working at them and hopefully, I'll get them.

I skipped the beer tonight with the hopes of hitting 252 tomorrow morning. Hopefully, that crazy decision will help me get there.

Onward
2020-05-22 5:53 AM
in reply to: #5270292

User image

, Vermont
Great job on the bike and core workouts, Dave! Balloons are great for the core, my PT always had at least one exercise I had to use them in. My kids used to steal them. Haha

In Birmingham, AL, just finished two weeks on and I’ll head out tonight to commute home - after two flights overnight tonight and a 2.5 hour drive I’ll be back home for a week starting tomorrow. Yay! I hope to get my bike outside this weekend and next week.
2020-05-22 6:49 AM

User image

Expert

Great job on the bike and core workouts, Dave! Balloons are great for the core, my PT always had at least one exercise I had to use them in. My kids used to steal them. Haha

In Birmingham, AL, just finished two weeks on and I’ll head out tonight to commute home - after two flights overnight tonight and a 2.5 hour drive I’ll be back home for a week starting tomorrow. Yay! I hope to get my bike outside this weekend and next week.

Thanks for the encouragement! I hope you enjoy your time off. We've got a stretch of beautiful weather up here in the northeast - perfect for getting that bike out on the roads.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 5881 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123