BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-06-12 11:08 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

Originally posted by Qua17To try to motivate myself, I signed up for a virtual challenge, which is turning out to be pretty cool. The company that runs it is called Conquerer Virtual Challenges. My challenge is to bike from the south of England to the North in 20 weeks. It's a 1000+ trip and I should finish it sometime in late October. What I like about it is that they use Google Maps so not only can you keep track of the towns you pass but you can use earth view to show what things look like where you stop. Last night, I stopped right in front of a pub. Too bad it's virtual. If you're interested, here's the link: https://www.theconqueror.events/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrIf3BRD1ARIsAMuugNulv...

Which pub? I will look on Google Maps too! 

Sorry to hear about your job. 

2020-06-12 1:04 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by sappho96

Originally posted by Qua17To try to motivate myself, I signed up for a virtual challenge, which is turning out to be pretty cool. The company that runs it is called Conquerer Virtual Challenges. My challenge is to bike from the south of England to the North in 20 weeks. It's a 1000+ trip and I should finish it sometime in late October. What I like about it is that they use Google Maps so not only can you keep track of the towns you pass but you can use earth view to show what things look like where you stop. Last night, I stopped right in front of a pub. Too bad it's virtual. If you're interested, here's the link: https://www.theconqueror.events/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrIf3BRD1ARIsAMuugNulv...

Which pub? I will look on Google Maps too! 

Sorry to hear about your job. 

Wish I could remember the name of the pub. Just thought is was cool that of all the places I could have ended my riding, I ended up at a pub.

As for the job, I quit today. It is for the best. Now I just need to find a job.
2020-06-13 5:30 PM
in reply to: #5270824

User image

, Vermont
Dave, I’m sure it was hard to quit the job but it just didn’t sound like a good fit for you. Keep looking, something will come. Keep training, it will help you mentally for sure and also help you think through things. Praying for you. Here’s to crushing goals.
2020-06-13 5:34 PM
in reply to: #5270872

User image

, Vermont
Back in KY for the day (Gretchen, when are you here?), but head out in the morning. I’ve been on the Peloton back home maybe 3 or 4 days in a row. Today I rode my road bike on the trainer in KY and followed it up with a core class on the Peloton app. Tomorrow I’ll be in Lafayette, LA in the afternoon and much of Monday so I’ll get in a run there. Gosh I wish I had brought my swim harness, I believe the hotel pool is open there! (I think I have forgotten how to swim!)

My goal is to run 3 times this week while on the road and do some more workouts on the app.
2020-06-13 7:23 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hello, all.  A little over 45 miles today., could not have had more perfect weather.  I think I saw 200 people out running and biking today.  Some pics:

The farm:

Bike photoshoot ('cause it's high maintenance and needs attention ):

And Gunpowder River:

2020-06-13 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Dave, I’m sure it was hard to quit the job but it just didn’t sound like a good fit for you. Keep looking, something will come. Keep training, it will help you mentally for sure and also help you think through things. Praying for you. Here’s to crushing goals.

100% agree with Jenn, DQ.  That job sounded like it sucked.  Been there, and I quit, too. 

2020-06-14 5:55 AM
in reply to: #5270873

User image

, Vermont
Mike, sweet bike and beautiful ride!
2020-06-14 4:44 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Dave, I’m sure it was hard to quit the job but it just didn’t sound like a good fit for you. Keep looking, something will come. Keep training, it will help you mentally for sure and also help you think through things. Praying for you. Here’s to crushing goals.

100% agree with Jenn, DQ.  That job sounded like it sucked.  Been there, and I quit, too. 

Thanks for the support! The job did suck. While I hate to go back to CVS (the only job I could find), at least it's a job I can do well.
2020-06-14 4:53 PM

User image

Expert
What a beautiful day for a bike ride! The temps were in the low 70's and there was zero humidity. I made the most out of the day by logging a 30-mile ride on the bike path near my home. It was crazy busy and I kept having to brake to avoid hitting people - which explains my 11.3 mph average. But no matter the rate - I was pretty pleased with the distance and the intensity. The best part of the ride was that I found an actual hill I can do repeats on. It's not as nice as my other hills from back in the day (when I used to live with my ex) but it's a hill none the less. So, I plan on doing a hill workout this week. I can't wait.

When I got home - my girlfriend had made chocolate chip cookies for me for making my weight loss goal this week. Down another 2.5. Gonna have beer and lasagna for dinner. Life is good.
2020-06-14 11:01 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Mike Like the bike p0rn, looks like it was a beautiful day for a ride.

DQ I'm sorry to hear that the new job didn't work out. But good on you for having the fortitude to leave a situation you weren't happy in an d go back to something else. That takes some guts.

me Had a solid end to the week,
F: 75 min trainer ride
Sat: 60 min real ride outside, with 1km brick run off the bike, just to test the legs
Sun: 80 min run, should have been 90, but my mates girlfriend had him on a tight schedule... a coffee vs longer run decision was made, and I regret nothing.

Question for those who ride indoors and outside. Most of my training is on the spin bike, I've done a LT test 12 months ago to find my HR zones, which is what I use to judge training effort. But my 2 outside rides in te last few weeks, my HR is probably 15bpm( or more) higher than I would expect. RPE says Friday, and Saturday rides were about the same effort. Friday was in the low 130's bpm. Saturday in the 150s bpm. Not only does the RPE say something's weird, but I'm surer there is no way I could average 150bpm for an hour on the spin bike... but it was comfortable outside.

Does anyone else find HR varies so much between trainer and real bike rides?
Or maybe is my HRM (wahoo tickr fit (optical on the bicep)) telling lies?

Interested in thoughts from the group please.

Hope everyone had a good weeeknd.
2020-06-15 6:56 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Gorgeous bike! 

2020-06-15 8:11 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Mike Like the bike p0rn, looks like it was a beautiful day for a ride. DQ I'm sorry to hear that the new job didn't work out. But good on you for having the fortitude to leave a situation you weren't happy in an d go back to something else. That takes some guts. me Had a solid end to the week, F: 75 min trainer ride Sat: 60 min real ride outside, with 1km brick run off the bike, just to test the legs Sun: 80 min run, should have been 90, but my mates girlfriend had him on a tight schedule... a coffee vs longer run decision was made, and I regret nothing. Question for those who ride indoors and outside. Most of my training is on the spin bike, I've done a LT test 12 months ago to find my HR zones, which is what I use to judge training effort. But my 2 outside rides in te last few weeks, my HR is probably 15bpm( or more) higher than I would expect. RPE says Friday, and Saturday rides were about the same effort. Friday was in the low 130's bpm. Saturday in the 150s bpm. Not only does the RPE say something's weird, but I'm surer there is no way I could average 150bpm for an hour on the spin bike... but it was comfortable outside. Does anyone else find HR varies so much between trainer and real bike rides? Or maybe is my HRM (wahoo tickr fit (optical on the bicep)) telling lies? Interested in thoughts from the group please. Hope everyone had a good weeeknd.

Yes and yes.  Your inside HR will likely be higher because of the heat build up that you don't get outside with a 15-20 mph wind and usually less humidity, and I've had some occasional flaky results with my Wahoo Tckr.  I wear it on my forearm, just below the elbow...for me that gets me more consistent readings that either my bicep or wrist. I feel like sometimes it's reading vibrations or something - yesterday I did a REALLY easy Z1 recovery ride on the trainer and my HR showed 145+ on my Tckr optical thing, which is like my mid-Z5 HR (max on a bike is in the low 150s).

Nothing beats a good chest strap, once you account for the weird readings you might get during warm up.

2020-06-16 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Day off from training yesterday (sat around and did NOTHING...) and it was needed.  Legs were dead and it was an effort to move around.  Got a couple of good nights' sleep and back at it today with two hours on Zwift, about 34 miles mostly sweet spot and tempo but pushed the steeper uphills.  Good workout overall, though I had to stop 20 minutes in because my cleat had come loose and I had to look around for a screwdriver to fix it.

Back in the pool tomorrow morning.

2020-06-16 3:29 PM
in reply to: #5270881

User image

, Vermont
Nice ride, Mike, and jealous of the swim!! Well done!
2020-06-16 3:34 PM
in reply to: #5270953

User image

, Vermont
3 mile treadmill run yesterday, upper body weights, and a 10 minute brutal core class.
Day before I started out running outside but 2 miles in I bagged and finished with my last mile on the treadmill - it was too hot and humid in Lafayette, LA. About a half hour of coming in a huge storm ripped through and the temp dropped almost 20 degrees and it was lovely. My colleague and I went for crawfish and shrimp and I wish I could post pictures from my phone because it was all delicious!!
So far 2 of the 3 runs accomplished this week plus some other stuff. Today I’ll take the day off - I’m supposed to be sleeping right now but it’s hard in the middle of the day in sunny Oakland, CA.
Beautiful day!
2020-06-17 9:23 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Nice ride, Mike, and jealous of the swim!! Well done!

Don't be - this morning was 62 degrees with a 20 mph breeze and an unheated, 68-degree pool. 

2020-06-17 4:18 PM
in reply to: #5270954

User image

, Vermont
Haha hahahahaha! That’s too funny.

Just waking up (it’s 17:15 on the East Coast [im in central time right now]) so no time to get a run in today. I needed the sleep so I’m good with that. Absolutely a beautiful day out it looks like - heading out to grab a bite before work. Enjoy it everyone! Next stop, back to the west coast after a couple intermediate stops.
2020-06-17 5:00 PM

User image

Expert
I don't want to make a big deal of this but I am in a riding funk. Even after all the work I've put in this spring, I still have to force myself to go for rides. I don't really enjoy them like I used to. Part of it is my performance - my pedestrian pace pisses me off (a little alliteration for you) the other part of it is that I miss my old routes and am scared riding on the roads of my new home town. So my question to the group is - what's your why? Why do you bike? I guess I'm hoping to hear something that will resonate with me.

Yesterday was bad - I blew off my ride. Didn't do my core work and I ate like a pig. So today I ate better and knocked out 13 miles on the path. It wasn't great - it was just a ride.

I used to love my rides - now they are just another item on the to do list. Hopefully I can answer my own question of why - why I bike because right now I'm not sure.

Sorry for the depressing post. I think it's time for a beer.
2020-06-17 7:24 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Qua17

Thanks for the support! The job did suck. While I hate to go back to CVS (the only job I could find), at least it's a job I can do well.

DQ, so sorry to hear that! But definitely sounds like that is just a horrible place to work. Sounds like a mortgage company I used to work at. The CEO was a lunatic. You will find something better!
2020-06-17 7:35 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I've not been posting much! I've been pretty steady with my workouts, either running, doing a trainer workout most days. My neck and shoulder were bothering me while I was at my parents though. Apparently my very expensive mattress and pillows are TOTALLY worth it. Sleeping on an old mattress with flat pillows destroyed me. I'm feeling much better now that I'm home.

Hoping to get a swim in on Saturday! My masters team is apparently having practice, although I'm not sure if they are limiting the number of people who are allowed to attend, so we will see. I'm excited but also dreading it since I haven't been in a pool since February or March.
2020-06-18 11:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Today was my interval ride for the week (I have two per week) and i'd like you to take a look at my numbers for the ride. Thanks in advance for your feedback (I need it so much). So.... Lap 1 was a warm up and lap 11 was a cool down. Even number laps are when I pushed my pace and even numbered laps are when I tried to bring my heart rate down. What surprised me about today was two things - 1) HOw high my HR was and 2) how I cracked on my last interval. Based upon the data from my watch - what could I be doing to become a better rider?

Edited by Qua17 2020-06-18 11:51 AM

(Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 12.25.54 PM.png)

(Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 12.25.40 PM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 12.25.54 PM.png (65KB - 2 downloads)
Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 12.25.40 PM.png (51KB - 2 downloads)

2020-06-18 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Qua17

Today was my interval ride for the week (I have two per week) and i'd like you to take a look at my numbers for the ride. Thanks in advance for your feedback (I need it so much). So.... Lap 1 was a warm up and lap 11 was a cool down. Even number laps are when I pushed my pace and even numbered laps are when I tried to bring my heart rate down. What surprised me about today was two things - 1) HOw high my HR was and 2) how I cracked on my last interval. Based upon the data from my watch - what could I be doing to become a better rider?
2020-06-18 3:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@DQ:  Just guessing on the HR part because HR can be so wonky, but:

• 7 minutes outdoors is WAY too short of a warm-up for interval work, so I'm not surprised your HR spiked; I do a 15-minute WU at least for harder efforts, and my pre-race WU is 22 minutes on Zwift
  • HR monitors take a while to get settled, again especially outdoors and even more so if it's not hot out and you're wearing a tech shirt; those spikes into the 180s would have me in a hospital so I don't trust those readings
  • We all bonk on intervals, especially repeating ones; you haven't built the muscular endurance to handle those repeats...it'll come slowly, and even when it comes, I promise you there will still be days that you'll crack on an interval; the fact that you cracked means you pushed your limit for that day, which is what you want to do
  • As for becoming a better cyclist, there are whole books on the topic , but three main things matter:  your weight, your ability to drive the pedals, and your handling skills (which includes position, etc.);  diet and riding help with the first, but expect some plateaus because cyclists gain a lot of big muscle in our legs (I haven't dropped an ounce since like March even though I'm killing myself on the bike); riding often and sometimes hard helps with the second, but it's a slow process and some days are going to just suck for whatever reason - the long haul training develops that power; bike skills are simply from riding often and in different situations

If you're doing two interval days plus a long ride, that's a good start.  It wouldn't hurt to do a couple of short trainer rides (maybe 30 minutes) fairly easy during the week and then do your PT and core work.  Frequency also makes a big difference, even if those additional days are easy recovery rides.

Keep at it! 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2020-06-18 3:40 PM
2020-06-18 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Had a long-ish race on Zwift today, about 24 miles so just over an hour.  With that distance the start was much more manageable than some of the shorter races where you have to basically sprint the first 30 seconds.  Got in a good groove with three other rides and we took turns pulling, as much cooperation as you can do without actually communicating.  Last half mile I was holding back a little waiting to attack the last quarter mile and I made a tactical mistake and waited too long and didn't catch the lead out, couldn't catch up and would up in fourth of our group.  Solid ride considering my Training Peaks fatigue number is nuts right now...definitely not tapered and race-ready that's for sure.

2020-06-18 9:40 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Yes and yes.  Your inside HR will likely be higher because of the heat build up that you don't get outside with a 15-20 mph wind and usually less humidity, and I've had some occasional flaky results with my Wahoo Tckr.  I wear it on my forearm, just below the elbow...for me that gets me more consistent readings that either my bicep or wrist. I feel like sometimes it's reading vibrations or something - yesterday I did a REALLY easy Z1 recovery ride on the trainer and my HR showed 145+ on my Tckr optical thing, which is like my mid-Z5 HR (max on a bike is in the low 150s).

Nothing beats a good chest strap, once you account for the weird readings you might get during warm up.

That's the crazy thing, I would have expected higher HR inside than out, but I'm experiencing the opposite. When I was last using a chest strap, I was getting crazy readings (220bpm + on easy jogs) which is when I ditched it and got the tickr fit. Looks like back to the shops to get a new chest strap HRM for me.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 5928 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123