BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-06-18 9:55 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Qua17

I don't want to make a big deal of this but I am in a riding funk. Even after all the work I've put in this spring, I still have to force myself to go for rides. I don't really enjoy them like I used to. Part of it is my performance - my pedestrian pace pisses me off (a little alliteration for you) the other part of it is that I miss my old routes and am scared riding on the roads of my new home town. So my question to the group is - what's your why? Why do you bike? I guess I'm hoping to hear something that will resonate with me.

Yesterday was bad - I blew off my ride. Didn't do my core work and I ate like a pig. So today I ate better and knocked out 13 miles on the path. It wasn't great - it was just a ride.

I used to love my rides - now they are just another item on the to do list. Hopefully I can answer my own question of why - why I bike because right now I'm not sure.

Sorry for the depressing post. I think it's time for a beer.

Why do I ride? To give myself a break from swimming before I get to run. haha

Seriously tho, The main reason I do any of this is so that I won't be the fat, unfit dad who can't go and play with my kids, or coach the sports team, or go on the full day hike. etc. (you get the idea) I was super unfit in the past, and I am still quite overweight (but working on it) I don't want to be the parent who has to sit on the sidelines and not be involved... I also don't want my kids to grow up and be fat/unfit, so another part of it is setting a good example (my 3 year old loves going for a run with daddy... he can only manage a few hundred meters, but it's a great start) And of course i want to be here for a long time, I'm trying to avoid dying from a heart attack in my 50's.

Why biking specifically? Well a trainer ride in the evening watching sports on TV is a great way to get my sports fix, and fit in a workout without taking any family time. But getting out on a proper bike (outside) is just fun. It's like being a big kid. Going fast is fun, taking a corner at speed is fun, racing the random stranger on the bike a hundred meters in front of you is fun.

Yes it can be frustrating to not be as fit/fast as I was years ago, I get that, same as you do. But it's still fun, and satisfying if you stay in the moment.

Motivation has to come from within yourself. You can't just get it from someone else. But hopefully this helps you out of your funk a little bit.

2020-06-18 10:04 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Not quite as good a week as last week for me. Hurt my back at the pool on Tuesday. Not swimming or anything, bent over to get my goggles out of my bag, and bang, sore lower back... getting old blows. I was also away for a couple of days for work, so that plus the sore back means I skipped a few workouts. so far this week:

M: 40min easy run
Tu: 10 x 100m swim
W: 20min run (away from home, up and down a hill)
Th: off
F: 800m swimming, 10 x 50m sprints (average speed 1:36/100m) and 3 x 100m easy c/d (very pleased with the speed of my sprints)

On tap for the rest of the weekend,

long bike on the trainer tonight watching my warriors.
long run sat morning
some sort of tempo/cruise interval bike Sunday, and maybe an easy/brick run depending on timing.

Hope everyone has a good weekend
2020-06-19 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bulfrog

I don't want to make a big deal of this but I am in a riding funk. Even after all the work I've put in this spring, I still have to force myself to go for rides. I don't really enjoy them like I used to. Part of it is my performance - my pedestrian pace pisses me off (a little alliteration for you) the other part of it is that I miss my old routes and am scared riding on the roads of my new home town. So my question to the group is - what's your why? Why do you bike? I guess I'm hoping to hear something that will resonate with me.

Yesterday was bad - I blew off my ride. Didn't do my core work and I ate like a pig. So today I ate better and knocked out 13 miles on the path. It wasn't great - it was just a ride.

I used to love my rides - now they are just another item on the to do list. Hopefully I can answer my own question of why - why I bike because right now I'm not sure.

Sorry for the depressing post. I think it's time for a beer.

Why do I ride? To give myself a break from swimming before I get to run. haha

Seriously tho, The main reason I do any of this is so that I won't be the fat, unfit dad who can't go and play with my kids, or coach the sports team, or go on the full day hike. etc. (you get the idea) I was super unfit in the past, and I am still quite overweight (but working on it) I don't want to be the parent who has to sit on the sidelines and not be involved... I also don't want my kids to grow up and be fat/unfit, so another part of it is setting a good example (my 3 year old loves going for a run with daddy... he can only manage a few hundred meters, but it's a great start) And of course i want to be here for a long time, I'm trying to avoid dying from a heart attack in my 50's.

Why biking specifically? Well a trainer ride in the evening watching sports on TV is a great way to get my sports fix, and fit in a workout without taking any family time. But getting out on a proper bike (outside) is just fun. It's like being a big kid. Going fast is fun, taking a corner at speed is fun, racing the random stranger on the bike a hundred meters in front of you is fun.

Yes it can be frustrating to not be as fit/fast as I was years ago, I get that, same as you do. But it's still fun, and satisfying if you stay in the moment.

Motivation has to come from within yourself. You can't just get it from someone else. But hopefully this helps you out of your funk a little bit.

Andrew - thanks for the good thoughts. They really resonated with me as I hoped they would. I have a lot to ride for - but I keep getting stuck on my sub par numbers. I need to find a way of getting over that and as you put it - stay in the moment. I get caught up in how fast I used to be and also in how fast I want to be for that century in October.

Perhaps I need to view this as another season of transformation - where I change my body once again from the fat and flabby to fit and strong. I need to ride for my health so I too don't have a heart attack (I actually have really severe sleep Apnea which is scary). I need to ride to set an axample for my kids 2 of whom are over weight. But I just wish it could be fun again. It's not fun right now and I miss the love I used to have for the sport. Hopefully that will come back.
2020-06-19 10:57 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Thanks, Mike - so much to digest in your awesome post. Thanks for taking the time to write a reply with such insightful thoughts. Here are some additional thoughts and questions I have.

- 7 minutes outdoors is WAY too short of a warm-up for interval work, so I'm not surprised your HR spiked; I do a 15-minute WU at least for harder efforts, and my pre-race WU is 22 minutes on Zwift --> so I need to extend my warm up time to at least 15 minutes.

- HR monitors take a while to get settled, again especially outdoors and even more so if it's not hot out and you're wearing a tech shirt; those spikes into the 180s would have me in a hospital so I don't trust those readings -->I know I need to get my heart rate more locked in. How do I do this? Should I take one of those test to measure functional heart rate (is that even what it's called?)? How do I get more accurate readings with my HR monitor?

- We all bonk on intervals, especially repeating ones; you haven't built the muscular endurance to handle those repeats...it'll come slowly, and even when it comes, I promise you there will still be days that you'll crack on an interval; the fact that you cracked means you pushed your limit for that day, which is what you want to do --> well I'm doing something right

- As for becoming a better cyclist, there are whole books on the topic , but three main things matter: your weight, your ability to drive the pedals, and your handling skills (which includes position, etc.); diet and riding help with the first, but expect some plateaus because cyclists gain a lot of big muscle in our legs (I haven't dropped an ounce since like March even though I'm killing myself on the bike); riding often and sometimes hard helps with the second, but it's a slow process and some days are going to just suck for whatever reason - the long haul training develops that power; bike skills are simply from riding often and in different situations --> I bought Joe Friel's book on biking and it's too technical for me (it's like some of it is written in greek). DO you have a good book on HR training?

THanks for your help and assistance.

2020-06-19 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
I got up this morning and rode with out eating and really suffered because of it. I didn't feel like I had any energy in my legs and I got fatigued quickly. My speed was ok but all my legs wanted to do was coast. Part of this malaise is the fact that I REALLY pushed it yesterday during my interval workout.

In the good column - I've lost another pound and an half and just need to lose .5 lbs today and tomorrow to reach my goal for the week. Plus, I'm back in size 40 pants. They are a little tight but I started with tight 42's so I will take it.

I've also reserved a hour of swimming time on Saturday afternoon in our outdoor pool. Gonna be an early father's day present. I can't wait to get in the water again.

hope everyone had a good day and thanks for the support!

2020-06-19 3:24 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 I got up this morning and rode with out eating and really suffered because of it. I didn't feel like I had any energy in my legs and I got fatigued quickly. My speed was ok but all my legs wanted to do was coast. Part of this malaise is the fact that I REALLY pushed it yesterday during my interval workout. In the good column - I've lost another pound and an half and just need to lose .5 lbs today and tomorrow to reach my goal for the week. Plus, I'm back in size 40 pants. They are a little tight but I started with tight 42's so I will take it. I've also reserved a hour of swimming time on Saturday afternoon in our outdoor pool. Gonna be an early father's day present. I can't wait to get in the water again. hope everyone had a good day and thanks for the support!

Congratulations...you just nailed a recovery workout.  You helped your body recover from the intervals AND stimulated your metabolism by working out in a fasted state.  And you're fitting in smaller clothes, which IMO is a better indication of success than the random musings of a weight scale.  Nice work. 

RE: Friel...yeah, technical for sure, but I think there's a pretty big section specifically devoted to HR training and the pluses/minuses.  I use HR as a secondary measure of effort - more like how rested I am or am I getting sick, etc., so no books for me.  And real HR testing sucks...best done in a lab if you want really good results and even the "field" tests outdoors or on a trainer are only accurate to so far, and they HURT.

2020-06-19 3:29 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

How do I get more accurate readings with my HR monitor? 

Two suggestions (this is for a chest strap)...soak it in water before you go, or use electrode gel (it's like $8/tube on Amazon) on the receptors, or both.

@Andrew:  those crazy HR spikes (like up in the 200s) are normal for chest strap HRMs until you start sweating, especially in cooler, drier weather or with synthetic material which creates a static charge.  I HATED running in the cooler weather on HR training and just finally gave up and used pacing for zones.

2020-06-19 3:30 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by Qua17 I don't want to make a big deal of this but I am in a riding funk. Even after all the work I've put in this spring, I still have to force myself to go for rides. I don't really enjoy them like I used to. Part of it is my performance - my pedestrian pace pisses me off (a little alliteration for you) the other part of it is that I miss my old routes and am scared riding on the roads of my new home town. So my question to the group is - what's your why? Why do you bike? I guess I'm hoping to hear something that will resonate with me. Yesterday was bad - I blew off my ride. Didn't do my core work and I ate like a pig. So today I ate better and knocked out 13 miles on the path. It wasn't great - it was just a ride. I used to love my rides - now they are just another item on the to do list. Hopefully I can answer my own question of why - why I bike because right now I'm not sure. Sorry for the depressing post. I think it's time for a beer.
Why do I ride? To give myself a break from swimming before I get to run. haha Seriously tho, The main reason I do any of this is so that I won't be the fat, unfit dad who can't go and play with my kids, or coach the sports team, or go on the full day hike. etc. (you get the idea) I was super unfit in the past, and I am still quite overweight (but working on it) I don't want to be the parent who has to sit on the sidelines and not be involved... I also don't want my kids to grow up and be fat/unfit, so another part of it is setting a good example (my 3 year old loves going for a run with daddy... he can only manage a few hundred meters, but it's a great start) And of course i want to be here for a long time, I'm trying to avoid dying from a heart attack in my 50's. Why biking specifically? Well a trainer ride in the evening watching sports on TV is a great way to get my sports fix, and fit in a workout without taking any family time. But getting out on a proper bike (outside) is just fun. It's like being a big kid. Going fast is fun, taking a corner at speed is fun, racing the random stranger on the bike a hundred meters in front of you is fun. Yes it can be frustrating to not be as fit/fast as I was years ago, I get that, same as you do. But it's still fun, and satisfying if you stay in the moment. Motivation has to come from within yourself. You can't just get it from someone else. But hopefully this helps you out of your funk a little bit.

Amen, brother.  Great post.

2020-06-20 5:10 PM

User image

Expert
Well my Y opened it's pool and I was there on opening day. I took my daughter so she could swim/play with me and we had a lap to ourselves. The water felt wonderful and I managed to swim 1000 yards, which i was pretty stoked about. I see a lot of people on BT jumping back into the water and knocking out a few thousand yards - not me. My arms feel like jello.

Tomorrow for Father's day, I'm going to ride my favorite hill - the route is 23 miles long and i want to do 30 so I will have to improvise. But I'm looking forward to it.

Hope everyone here has a great Sunday and happy father's day to those Dad's out there.

2020-06-20 7:42 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 Well my Y opened it's pool and I was there on opening day. I took my daughter so she could swim/play with me and we had a lap to ourselves. The water felt wonderful and I managed to swim 1000 yards, which i was pretty stoked about. I see a lot of people on BT jumping back into the water and knocking out a few thousand yards - not me. My arms feel like jello. Tomorrow for Father's day, I'm going to ride my favorite hill - the route is 23 miles long and i want to do 30 so I will have to improvise. But I'm looking forward to it. Hope everyone here has a great Sunday and happy father's day to those Dad's out there.

Yeah, I hear you - I matched your 1K this morning.  Can't imaging struggling through an actual swim workout right now.  I feel good in the water but there is no "snap" in my arms and I have about 75 yards of endurance.  Now that my pool is open for good I'm going to focus on the swim this summer.

2020-06-21 4:08 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Finished the week off well. My 2nd above 6 hour training week in a row, which was the target so happy with that. I'm tracking about where I want to be, before the official Iornman program kicks off in 6 weeks.

Remainder of the week:

Fri: 800m swim, 75min Trainer ride
Sat: 30 min easy run, 60min trainer ride
Sun: 90 min long run

Funny thing about Sundays run, considering my post earlier about wanting to be a good example to my kids. Mr 3 woke up while I was getting ready for a run, which ruins the plan. He was genuinely in tears that I was taking the dog for a run, and not him. After much negotiation (and turning on Disney+) we agreed that he shouldn't go out in the rain, but if the rain had stopped when I got home we would go for a run together.

Sure enough, got home a few hours latter, Mr 3 comes racing down the hall 'it's not raining daddy, i can go for a run with you' So we got him in his 'fast running shoes' and go for a few hundred meters to the park and back.

Hope everyone had a good weekend

2020-06-21 4:22 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Qua17 I got up this morning and rode with out eating and really suffered because of it. I didn't feel like I had any energy in my legs and I got fatigued quickly. My speed was ok but all my legs wanted to do was coast. Part of this malaise is the fact that I REALLY pushed it yesterday during my interval workout. In the good column - I've lost another pound and an half and just need to lose .5 lbs today and tomorrow to reach my goal for the week. Plus, I'm back in size 40 pants. They are a little tight but I started with tight 42's so I will take it. I've also reserved a hour of swimming time on Saturday afternoon in our outdoor pool. Gonna be an early father's day present. I can't wait to get in the water again. hope everyone had a good day and thanks for the support!

Congratulations...you just nailed a recovery workout.  You helped your body recover from the intervals AND stimulated your metabolism by working out in a fasted state.  And you're fitting in smaller clothes, which IMO is a better indication of success than the random musings of a weight scale.  Nice work. 

RE: Friel...yeah, technical for sure, but I think there's a pretty big section specifically devoted to HR training and the pluses/minuses.  I use HR as a secondary measure of effort - more like how rested I am or am I getting sick, etc., so no books for me.  And real HR testing sucks...best done in a lab if you want really good results and even the "field" tests outdoors or on a trainer are only accurate to so far, and they HURT.

Congratulations on the pants size change. That's a real, tangible win for you. I'm with mike, thats far more important than what the scale says.

As an alternative to Friel, I'm going to plug 80:20 triathlon from Matt Fitzgerald. The book dives into the science behind the theory, and to my mind makes a lot of sense. I would recommend reading it. But their website also has a lot of good reading. And a zone calculator (they use slightly differently labeled zones) and workout library. https://www.8020endurance.com/resources/

re: HR as a secondary measure. For running, I use pace first and HR/RPE as 2nd equal to measure effort. Pace zones are determined from a 5km time trial, or race. And at my pace, a 5km TT is close enough to a 30 min all out effort that I can get HR values out of it.

For cycling, until 12 months ago I used RPE. But with my increased focus on indoor cycling, I've been using HR as #1, and RPE secondary. the exception is for short, high intensity intervals. Like mike has said HR just lags behind too much so its RPE for those. I do lust after a power meter... maybe one day.
2020-06-22 6:33 AM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

, Vermont
Awe, Andrew, that is so sweet. I’m so glad you were able to take the little one for his run. You made his day right there. Those are the things this kid will store subconsciously. You’re already setting a great example and you’re taking time to plant the seed of love for being active. Good stuff.
2020-06-22 6:40 AM
in reply to: #5271091

User image

, Vermont
Happy belated Father’s Day!
I got home Saturday midday and yesterday was recovery from travel. I got up early this morning to bring my youngest to swim practice and he would not move out of bed. I literally peeled back his sheets, made him toast, and threw motherly guilt (the gift that keeps on giving) his way. I think he’s starting his growth spurt - he just wants to sleep. So I gave up and am having a coffee after eating breakfast. The bugger is, I would have gone for a bike ride outside had I known he was going to pull this. Now I’ve eaten and traffic is too much for my comfort zone. Maybe I’ll go in a couple of hours. It’s going to be a hot one today.
I managed my goal of three runs last week while on the road so I’m pretty fired up about it. I only have today and tomorrow at home before I’m back out again for a week. At least will be home on the 1st and have until the 10 or 11th off so I’ll get some good riding in then.
Still no gym/pool access for me so I’m coveting everyone’s swim posts.
@ Dave - my first bunch of swims back I rarely get to 1000 yds so I think you’re doing great!!
2020-06-22 6:51 AM
in reply to: #5271092

User image

, Vermont
Why do I ride?
I used to love to go out and hammer out rides, go fast, or go for elevation gains in the mountains, etc. Now my perspective has changed just a little bit. I don’t go as fast or hard purposefully as I used to unless I really want to focus on that on a particular day. I just like to get out on a quiet road (ride super early) and cruise. I love endurance rides where I can just let things go - diffuse if you will. I love the smell of dew in the morning or fresh cut grass, maybe a deer sighting. I can clear my mind and I’m totally alone. Lately I’ve even left the heart rate strap at home just because I want to ride and not be stuck on numbers. My races have all cancelled at this point for the summer so I’ve decided to focus on enjoying riding and maybe mixing in some intervals here and there. I do have the Peloton now so I can take a spin class and go hard there if I want. But out on the road I’m free. Free of pressure, free of judgement, do what I want and just enjoy it. Hiking is similar for me for this as well (and I often hike alone).
Sorry so long winded.
2020-06-22 7:28 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

50 miles in under three hours outside on Saturday (it was about 2:58), which was my goal so mission accomplished.  So gooey out...very humid so I was a total puddle at the end and was actually getting chilly because the last 1/3 of my ride was easy endurance riding.  I averaged 235 watts for an hour in the middle and almost 200 for the ride.

Sunday was a recovery day with a 5 mile brisk walk (though probably not as brisk as it could have been) and then an easy 20 minute spin on the trainer.  Legs are done.

That ends my bike build that I started back at the end of October...something like 32 or 33 weeks.  I'm going to take a couple of easy weeks before starting back harder in the pool and working on rehabbing my back so I can start golfing again.  It has been almost four years.

I'm still contemplating some sort of self-supported race in September but for now just going to enjoy the down time, at least until I start to go crazy which is usually like five days LOL.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

2020-06-22 12:05 PM
in reply to: #5271093

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi All- been away for a while. After making the decision to defer MiTi, I fell into a pretty big funk and then got really sick...as in spent part of last week in the hospital kind of sick. My COVID test came back negative, but I had 7/10 symptoms and the test has a 30% false negative rate. Feeling better now and the dr has given all clear to return to normal activities.

Tomorrow I leave for a couple of weeks in Louisville for work—excavating and help move a poor house cemetery in advance of new construction.

Today I got my road bike out of the garage and aired up the tires. Louisville has an 80mile path system, so I’m going to try to take advantage. And, since I have no races scheduled anymore, I’m going to ride for fun. I think I’ve forgotten how to ride for fun. I took my bike out just to test it and make sure it was operational after being banished to the garage when I got my tri bike. It was only like a 7’ ride, but it was fun. Fun like no trainer ride could ever be.
2020-06-22 3:13 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hi All- been away for a while. After making the decision to defer MiTi, I fell into a pretty big funk and then got really sick...as in spent part of last week in the hospital kind of sick. My COVID test came back negative, but I had 7/10 symptoms and the test has a 30% false negative rate. Feeling better now and the dr has given all clear to return to normal activities.

Tomorrow I leave for a couple of weeks in Louisville for work—excavating and help move a poor house cemetery in advance of new construction.

Today I got my road bike out of the garage and aired up the tires. Louisville has an 80mile path system, so I’m going to try to take advantage. And, since I have no races scheduled anymore, I’m going to ride for fun. I think I’ve forgotten how to ride for fun. I took my bike out just to test it and make sure it was operational after being banished to the garage when I got my tri bike. It was only like a 7’ ride, but it was fun. Fun like no trainer ride could ever be.

OMG - Gretchen, I am so glad that you are healing. It sounds so scary.

Glad to hear you had fun. I will try to follow your example!
2020-06-22 6:33 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had a busy couple of days. Got to swim on Saturday! Masters practice was great. We had a really great turnout, and they made it so we could only have 2 people stopped at the wall in each lane at a time, so we split up and had some people start the workout in the deep end and some in the shallow end. I got stuck in the deep end (it's so hard to recover when you can't stand!), but other than that it was wonderful. Not sure how much yardage I got in. I did some 50s instead of 100s b/c my shoulders were bothering me.

Also threw some axes, did a boot camp, and got to catch up with some friends. Things have certainly gotten busier! Still being responsible though. Not really comfortable going in to a bar yet. Nervous about teaching swim lessons, so I'm going to put that off a little longer if I can.
2020-06-22 6:37 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, glad you are feeling better.

I see a lot of people are having some not go great weeks/workouts. We've all been there! Just keep doing your best and you will crush it

DQ, down a pant size?! Nice work!

I just started the focus on nutrition so am hoping to have a few good weeks and drop some lbs so I can feel better in my bathing suit. My goal is to eat fruits or veggies with every meal. So far so good, but I'm only on day 1.5 haha.
2020-06-23 4:51 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
I am having the hardest time writing this post because my ride this morning wasn't great. I did an interval workout where I went hard for 8, then rested for four then went hard for four before resting for two, etc Even though I took a rest day yesterday - this workout crushed me. I ran out of steam with 2 more intervals to go and I got so tired that I strayed into the other lane on the bike path and scared the crap out of some one. If I'm going to continue with these workouts, I'm going to have to do them early in the morning when there are fewer people on the path.

My ride was made worse by my speed pedals. They aren't coming unclipped as easily as they should and that led to yet another fall today. That's four falls if anyone is counting. I wish I could take it to my LBS to get it fixed (along with my front derailer) but it's a 3 week wait. I wish I could make the tweaks myself but I am having the hardest time getting my front derailer to work. I know it's just tightening the screw but when I tighten/loosen it - it still doesn't work. So I guess I will have to try to find another lbs that has a shorter wait.

Hope everyone is doing well. Thanks for the support!

2020-06-23 6:29 PM
in reply to: #5271102

User image

, Vermont
Oh my gosh, Dave, I’m sorry to hear about all of the falls! Give yourself a little grace on the workouts, don’t get frustrated, you’re just getting back into it. That being said I completely understand where you’re coming from.

@ Gretchen: I get to Louisville tomorrow (Wednesday) mid morning. I have to wake up around 0100 Thursday so will be hitting the hay fairly early. What does your schedule look like??
The Parklands are nice to ride on!! They get crowded on the weekend and frankly have been with COVID as well so you will be dodging a lot of folks but generally car free, so yay! That’s where I ride when I’m down there. Also check out Cherokee Park - lovely place. There’s some mild hiking in Jefferson Forest just East as well.
2020-06-23 9:14 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I am having the hardest time writing this post because my ride this morning wasn't great. I did an interval workout where I went hard for 8, then rested for four then went hard for four before resting for two, etc Even though I took a rest day yesterday - this workout crushed me. I ran out of steam with 2 more intervals to go and I got so tired that I strayed into the other lane on the bike path and scared the crap out of some one. If I'm going to continue with these workouts, I'm going to have to do them early in the morning when there are fewer people on the path.

My ride was made worse by my speed pedals. They aren't coming unclipped as easily as they should and that led to yet another fall today. That's four falls if anyone is counting. I wish I could take it to my LBS to get it fixed (along with my front derailer) but it's a 3 week wait. I wish I could make the tweaks myself but I am having the hardest time getting my front derailer to work. I know it's just tightening the screw but when I tighten/loosen it - it still doesn't work. So I guess I will have to try to find another lbs that has a shorter wait.

Hope everyone is doing well. Thanks for the support!

Mate, we all have bad workouts. Doesn't the saying go something like 'some day's you're the rooster, others the feather duster' Don't get too down on yourself. It was a bad day out. Nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't undo all the gains you've been making the last few weeks. Today was tough, come back stronger tomorrow.

Unless...

Make sure you're not going too hard in your hard efforts. This comes back to the heart rate zone stuff we were talking about last week. It can be hard to judge, but if you're over cooking your hard efforts then it's perfectly reasonable to be seriously struggling at the end of your workout. Hard does not always (or even usually) mean all out 100% sprint mode. What sort of 'hard' were you aiming for? A tempo effort? Anerobic intervals? VO2 max, all out effort?

As for your pedals, I've only used shimano SPD pedals, so no hands on advice for your speed pedals. What condition are your cleats in? if they get too old and worn it could make clipping/unclipping tricky. Can you book your bike in, and then cancel if you find a faster option before 3 weeks? If so it'd make sense to book it in now, otherwise the 3 week wait could become 4 or 5 while you look for other options.

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you
2020-06-23 9:23 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
gretchen Glad to hear you are ok. Covid or otherwise, spending time in hospital is serious stuff. I also went into a funk (although I called it sulking) when I deferred IMNZ a few months back. Don't be like bullfrog and sulk so long you lose half your gains. Get back out there doing stuff as soon as you can. Dusting off the roadbike and hitting the bike path sounds like a good start.

mike Good job on finishing up your bike build. Sounds like you've nailed it.

me I'm feeling a little under the weather myself this week. Nothing too serious, just sore throat, runny nose etc... So other than a run Monday after work I've done nothing. Looks like I'm on a rest week. Hopefully will be back to activity by the weekend.
2020-06-24 5:14 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@DQ:  I currently use Look pedals but used to use Speedplays (I think that's what you're referring to).  Try getting a bottle of dry lube and put a couple of drops on your cleats after cleaning them really well.  Sometimes gunk gets into the pedal/cleat mechanism (for those of you that don't know how Speedplays work, you basically have the pedal platform attached to your shoe, and the "pedal" that is attached to the crank arm looks like a big coin and your shoe cleat clips into that).  Make sure all your screws are tight, too...maybe take everything apart, clean it, and put it back together.  I use Loctite to hold the screws in place (and be sure to use the "Blue" version vs. the "Red" version - the blue just makes it tough to unscrew, the red would require a nuclear explosion to loosen).  Hope this helps and the two tubes of stuff shouldn't cost more than a few bucks, and it's a good regular maintenance routine for Speedplays anyway.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 5891 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123