BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-06-24 5:51 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

I exist! Finally back to doing some exercise. Just a short arm workout today and been doing a bit of walking. Toe still c*** so not been doing much.

@gretch - eek! 

@everyone else who can swim - jealous!

@others - keep going!

2020-06-24 12:01 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Dave, as someone who'd been in and out of fitness several times, it can be INCREDIBLY frustrating to know where you've been and see where you are now. Unfortunately, time and consistancy are really the only way to get it back. Trying to jump back in too fast will get you burned out or injured.

Originally posted by bulfrog

Make sure you're not going too hard in your hard efforts. This comes back to the heart rate zone stuff we were talking about last week. It can be hard to judge, but if you're over cooking your hard efforts then it's perfectly reasonable to be seriously struggling at the end of your workout. Hard does not always (or even usually) mean all out 100% sprint mode. What sort of 'hard' were you aiming for? A tempo effort? Anerobic intervals? VO2 max, all out effort?

I'm a big fan of the Trainer Road podcast. A while back they were talking about how hard is too hard in a workout. Their answer is that if your going so hard that you can't recover for your next workout, then that's way too hard. You might not be 100% recovered, but if you're struggling or can't do a workout because of your last workout, then you went too hard. No matter what your plan, your HR, or your power tells you, it's too hard. The consistancy is by far more important than any one effort or workout.

Try looking over your next workout before you start a workout, it should give you an idea how hard you can go. "Ok, my next workout is VO2 max intervals, maybe I shouldn't punch the hills on today's steady ride" You'll get there, remember consistancy is key.

I can't help with the pedals, I'm still riding flats =)
2020-06-24 1:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Well I decided to play it safe and ride on my trainer today. I road for an hour and still managed to get in a good workout and was sweating up a storm in this humidity. My question to the group today is - how good of a workout can you get on a trainer? I have a good one and would much rather ride it than ride on the bike path - AS LONG AS I can get a good workout. But I don't think I got a great workout today because my average hr was 98 and my TE Score was 1.2 (whatever that means).

Thoughts?

Edited by Qua17 2020-06-24 2:02 PM
2020-06-24 2:35 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by Qua17

I am having the hardest time writing this post because my ride this morning wasn't great. I did an interval workout where I went hard for 8, then rested for four then went hard for four before resting for two, etc Even though I took a rest day yesterday - this workout crushed me. I ran out of steam with 2 more intervals to go and I got so tired that I strayed into the other lane on the bike path and scared the crap out of some one. If I'm going to continue with these workouts, I'm going to have to do them early in the morning when there are fewer people on the path.

My ride was made worse by my speed pedals. They aren't coming unclipped as easily as they should and that led to yet another fall today. That's four falls if anyone is counting. I wish I could take it to my LBS to get it fixed (along with my front derailer) but it's a 3 week wait. I wish I could make the tweaks myself but I am having the hardest time getting my front derailer to work. I know it's just tightening the screw but when I tighten/loosen it - it still doesn't work. So I guess I will have to try to find another lbs that has a shorter wait.

Hope everyone is doing well. Thanks for the support!

Mate, we all have bad workouts. Doesn't the saying go something like 'some day's you're the rooster, others the feather duster' Don't get too down on yourself. It was a bad day out. Nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't undo all the gains you've been making the last few weeks. Today was tough, come back stronger tomorrow.

Unless...

Make sure you're not going too hard in your hard efforts. This comes back to the heart rate zone stuff we were talking about last week. It can be hard to judge, but if you're over cooking your hard efforts then it's perfectly reasonable to be seriously struggling at the end of your workout. Hard does not always (or even usually) mean all out 100% sprint mode. What sort of 'hard' were you aiming for? A tempo effort? Anerobic intervals? VO2 max, all out effort?

As for your pedals, I've only used shimano SPD pedals, so no hands on advice for your speed pedals. What condition are your cleats in? if they get too old and worn it could make clipping/unclipping tricky. Can you book your bike in, and then cancel if you find a faster option before 3 weeks? If so it'd make sense to book it in now, otherwise the 3 week wait could become 4 or 5 while you look for other options.

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you

Andrew - Thanks so much for the support and motivating words. I think I am going too hard on my early intervals because I am totally spent by the time I get to the end. When you ask - what sort of hard are you aiming for? - I don't know the answer to that question because I'm not 100% sure what those terms mean and what my stats for them are. Basically by the third interval, I am going all out.

As for the local bike shop - I'm hoping a friend of mine can help me out. Maybe he would be willing to work on my bike with me. We shall see. If that doesn't work, I'm going just book an appointment at the LBS.
2020-06-24 4:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by riles32807
The consistancy is by far more important than any one effort or workout.

Agree with this big time.

DQ Can you get a good workout indoors on the trainer?

Short answer. YES.

Longer answer, most of the evidence says you will get a better workout on the trainer than outside. Quite a few pros (see Lionel Sanders/Lucy Charles etc.) do almost all of the training indoors. If they can get a good workout on a trainer, you or I sure can.

1. It's much more time effective, 60min is 60min of pedaling, no coasting, waiting at traffic lights etc.
2. Its much easier to control your efforts. You pedal as hard or as soft as your workout wants you too, when it wants you too. No hills, or traffic, or other riders or anything to get in the way.

Outsides more fun, and for sure you should still ride outside. But no question you will get a good workout if you ride inside.

Edited by bulfrog 2020-06-24 4:54 PM
2020-06-25 7:45 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
DQ, sorry to hear you had a bad workout the other day, but glad you had a good trainer ride! I can't give any advice for the bike b/c I rarely do it, and have get to get on the trainer I bought about 2 years ago now. But I often do spin instead of bike and feel like as long as you are doing something and feel good about the work you are putting in, you are doing it right!

2020-06-25 7:48 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Did a strength workout yesterday and got a run in this morning. Felt pretty good considering I haven't been running much!

I've also been eating really well this week. I'm going out to eat tonight but otherwise have been eating clean and cooking most meals (or eating prepped meals). Already feeling good, and need to keep this up for a few more weeks. Trader Joe's has frozen seafood that I'm currently obsessed with. Last night made a tilapia with pesto zucchini, yellow squash and tomatoes in a foil pack on the grill, so it's super easy and sooo delicious.
2020-06-25 7:49 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Did a strength workout yesterday and got a run in this morning. Felt pretty good considering I haven't been running much!

I've also been eating really well this week. I'm going out to eat tonight but otherwise have been eating clean and cooking most meals (or eating prepped meals). Already feeling good, and need to keep this up for a few more weeks. Trader Joe's has frozen seafood that I'm currently obsessed with. Last night made a tilapia with pesto zucchini, yellow squash and tomatoes in a foil pack on the grill, so it's super easy and sooo delicious.
2020-06-25 3:50 PM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

, Vermont
Nicole that sounds amazingly delicious!! Great job on the run/ strength workout and your consistency with eating clean this week!

Gretchen, I hope you’re still on the mend, we haven’t seen you post in a bit. I bet you have/had COVID regardless of the test results. Mend fast!

Sappho good to see you back again!

Me - got an hour trainer ride in yesterday in KY. I should have gone outside it was so beautiful, but didn’t. Still, just a steadily increasing effort and my legs feel it today. I’m finally getting my ANT + stick in the mail so I can link up with either Zwift or Trainer Road when I’m in KY on my mag trainer.
2020-06-27 8:03 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Master
brummie land

WOO HOO!!!!!!! I rode! Only 0.6 miles but I rode! Also did some core work, and arms w/o. Tried dumbell bent over rows today - fuuuun! We have a big meeting in work on Wednesday with mentions of restructuring and and consultation periods. Obviously a bit anxious about it, so am super relieved I can at least get my pedal therapy in!

How everyone getting on? 

2020-06-27 8:04 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Master
brummie land

2020-06-27 3:01 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Woot! New (to me) bike day!

Took it out for a quick spin, it needs a bunch of adjustment, but I can't wait to take it for a full ride tomorrow morning. =)
2020-06-27 3:38 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by riles32807 Woot! New (to me) bike day! Took it out for a quick spin, it needs a bunch of adjustment, but I can't wait to take it for a full ride tomorrow morning. =)

That's lovely looking!

2020-06-27 4:04 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Expert
Originally posted by riles32807

Woot! New (to me) bike day!

It looks like a great bike!

Two questions: Does it have a name? How did it ride when you took it out?
2020-06-27 4:07 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

Congrats on a good eating week. It sounds not only healthy but delicious!
2020-06-27 4:16 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
As you know, I have made it my goal in October to do a century that includes a local snow mountain. After riding up my favorite hill last week, I feel like giving this a go. I figure my chances of making it to the top are 60% because it will be at the end of my ride (31 miles) and it has a stretch where it is really uphill. So we shall see. BUt I figure even if I only make it half way up that will give me something to shoot for on later rides. Wish me luck!

2020-06-28 7:33 AM
in reply to: #5271154

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Yesterday I did a virtual sprint duathlon. Well...actually I did more like something just shy of an Olympic duathlon, but I only timed the sprint distances. So 21 miles on the bike and 4.5 miles run. The run was a little rough near the end, but I was parked at the top of this giant hill (stupid of me, for sure). Now to figure out how to upload the files to the race website.
2020-06-28 2:25 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Yesterday I did a virtual sprint duathlon. Well...actually I did more like something just shy of an Olympic duathlon, but I only timed the sprint distances. So 21 miles on the bike and 4.5 miles run. The run was a little rough near the end, but I was parked at the top of this giant hill (stupid of me, for sure). Now to figure out how to upload the files to the race website.

Glad to hear you are back in business after the covid scare! So how did your virtual race go? Congrats for making it happen!
2020-06-28 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Qua17

As you know, I have made it my goal in October to do a century that includes a local snow mountain. After riding up my favorite hill last week, I feel like giving this a go. I figure my chances of making it to the top are 60% because it will be at the end of my ride (31 miles) and it has a stretch where it is really uphill. So we shall see. BUt I figure even if I only make it half way up that will give me something to shoot for on later rides. Wish me luck!

Update: my 29 mile ride went ok. I started out strong and felt pretty good for the first half but then the elevation got to me and I really struggled to finish. I fell twice because I couldn't unlipped my pedals fast enough as I was going uphill but what really bummed me out was having to walk up hills while other riders zoomed right by me. Perhaps they didn't have to go as far but I felt terrible having to hoof it up those last couple of hills. When I finally got to the mountain - I didn't even attempt going up it as I was really struggling with the heat and my extreme fatigue. Luckily the powerade machine was working and I enjoyed my first grape powerade - yum and so refreshing!

It's efforts like this that make my doubt my ability to complete a century with 4000 feet of elevation gain (today I only did 2500 and I took the "easy route to the mountain"). But I'm thinking about getting a coach and I'm gonna look to find a LBS that can fix my bike (sorry mike but I can't figure out how to turn those screws on my cleats). I'm not going to give up but I either have to do something different or I need to move the time of my virtual ride. I don't have to make any decisions today. Instead I'm going to focus on the effort and not the speed.

Onward!

Hope everyone else is enjoying a nice Sunday!
2020-06-28 10:06 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well I had a better weekend than week. My sniffles have mostly cleared up so I managed.

60 min spin Saturday evening, 60 min easy run Sunday morning and a 30 min spin in the evening.

Only 3 hours and change for the week, but treating it as a cutback week so no stress there.

I've started this week with a 1250m swim at lunch, and am looking to step the training up a notch this week, aiming for over 7 hours/week for the next 2-3 weeks.

For those keeping score, its 4 weeks till the 'official Ironman training program' starts, and 250 days till race day.
2020-06-29 1:13 AM
in reply to: #5271179

User image

, Vermont
Nice, Andrew, great goals!

@ Gretchen, you are back at it! That’s excellent!

@ Dave, you had 2500’ elevation gain in 29 miles.. you hope to do 4000’ gain in 100... you’ve got this! You have a good chunk of time remaining until your virtual ride and just rode shy of 1/3 of the distance with 2500’ gain. That is an amazing effort and you should be proud.

2020-06-29 1:17 AM
in reply to: #5271185

User image

, Vermont
I just had a long overnight in Salt Lake City so called up my sis in law in Park City and hung out with her and went hiking near her place. It was so good to be there again ( love having these overnights) and hang with family.

Two days ago I was in Spokane, WA and ran about 2.5 miles - not long but really all I had time for and it was so hot. Such a pretty area, I’d like to explore there more at some point.
2020-06-29 6:53 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hello, all.  We're down in South Florida (Singer Island) enjoying a little R&R.  They have a nice gym here at the resort (with a Peloton bike, Jenn ) so I've used that a couple of times.  The lap pool is closed for resurfacing so I've made do in the resort pool with a 22 yard length...did about 500 yards yesterday after a long walk with the wife.  We've pretty much stayed to ourselves and are avoiding people where we can.  Palm Beach County just passed an emergency resolution to require masks in public and you'd think people were asked to sit in a jail cell.  SMH  Weather has been spectacular - sunny, hot (mid-90s), no thunderstorms, though that is suppoed to change later this week.  Our original plan was to head up to Orlando and hit Universal for a few days, but we decided wearing masks on rides wouldn't be all that fun so we're heading home Thursday.

@DQ:  if I had a dollar for every time I've had to stop going up a hill, I'd be quite wealthy; gravity is not kind to us big guys and that's why most elite cyclists are skinny

@Gretchen:  very cool on the virtual race

2020-06-29 12:14 PM

User image

Expert

Well I had a better weekend than week. My sniffles have mostly cleared up so I managed.

60 min spin Saturday evening, 60 min easy run Sunday morning and a 30 min spin in the evening.

Only 3 hours and change for the week, but treating it as a cutback week so no stress there.

I've started this week with a 1250m swim at lunch, and am looking to step the training up a notch this week, aiming for over 7 hours/week for the next 2-3 weeks.

For those keeping score, its 4 weeks till the 'official Ironman training program' starts, and 250 days till race day.

Andrew - you are going to love training for the ironman. Just today a photo popped up in my facebook feed from six years ago about a 100 mile + ride I had just finished. It was great reliving the experience of that ride and that's the thing about Ironman training: since it pushes you past your limit, those workouts become memorable. Enjoy the experience!
2020-06-29 12:19 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hello, all.  We're down in South Florida (Singer Island) enjoying a little R&R.  They have a nice gym here at the resort (with a Peloton bike, Jenn ) so I've used that a couple of times.  The lap pool is closed for resurfacing so I've made do in the resort pool with a 22 yard length...did about 500 yards yesterday after a long walk with the wife.  We've pretty much stayed to ourselves and are avoiding people where we can.  Palm Beach County just passed an emergency resolution to require masks in public and you'd think people were asked to sit in a jail cell.  SMH  Weather has been spectacular - sunny, hot (mid-90s), no thunderstorms, though that is suppoed to change later this week.  Our original plan was to head up to Orlando and hit Universal for a few days, but we decided wearing masks on rides wouldn't be all that fun so we're heading home Thursday.

@DQ:  if I had a dollar for every time I've had to stop going up a hill, I'd be quite wealthy; gravity is not kind to us big guys and that's why most elite cyclists are skinny

@Gretchen:  very cool on the virtual race

Mike - sorry you had to cut your plans short. I guess in this day and age it's better to be safe than sorry.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 5717 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123