BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-06-29 12:21 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by aviatrix802

I just had a long overnight in Salt Lake City so called up my sis in law in Park City and hung out with her and went hiking near her place. It was so good to be there again ( love having these overnights) and hang with family.

Two days ago I was in Spokane, WA and ran about 2.5 miles - not long but really all I had time for and it was so hot. Such a pretty area, I’d like to explore there more at some point.

Jenn - You lead a crazy life but I'm glad you were able to spend some much earned time with family so you could wind down a little.

2020-06-29 7:37 PM
in reply to: #5271186

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
4.2 mile run in Oakland, CA this afternoon. On to work and will finish up tomorrow morning in Portland, OR. Should be good running weather there tomorrow.
2020-06-30 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

4.2 mile run in Oakland, CA this afternoon. On to work and will finish up tomorrow morning in Portland, OR. Should be good running weather there tomorrow.

SO Jenn - how was the run? I hope you were able to get it in
2020-06-30 3:58 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Let's hear it for my girlfriend. She knows I needed hills on my ride so she mapped out a pretty good ride in town. It's 9 miles and gained 478 feet. The problem with the route however is that I'm doing a big square counterclockwise so I have to crass traffic 5 times. It's a little unnerving. It would work as a good 9 mile ride without hills if I did it clockwise (all right turns).

Thanks so much for the support guys. Today wasn't a great ride because of the all the traffic but it was a good ride.

2020-06-30 4:58 PM
in reply to: #5271212

User image

, Vermont
Way to get the ride in Dave!
I did not run in Portland, though the weather is good for it right now. I was on minimal rest and just didn’t get it in. Tired. Glad this trip finishes tonight and I’ll be on my way home at 0400 tomorrow morning for 10 days off. I’m beat. I hope to get some outside riding in when I get home! Yay!
Stay healthy everyone and keep on keeping on!
2020-07-01 12:55 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Riles, nice bike!

Gretchen, great job on the virtual race!

DQ, that is far more than I have done on the bike...possibly ever. Plenty of time before your race!
Also, yay for having an thoughtful and supportive girlfriend!

Mike, glad you took the opportunity to get away!

Jenn, I can't imagine how good it will feel for you to be home for 10 days. Enjoy!!!

Andrew, glad you're feeling better!

Sappho, yayyyyyy! Baby steps! Way to ease back into it!

2020-07-01 12:59 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had a not so healthy weekend and kind of ruined all the good work I did last week. But I had a lot of fun, so that is what matters I suppose

Still got a bunch of workouts in though! Got a swim in on Saturday, a strength workout Monday, a run and some yoga in yesterday, and a strength workout in today. Gonna try to do some yoga this evening as well, and go for a walk with my coworker who lives nearby.

My roommate, some of her friends and I are heading up to NY (basically Canada) on Sunday for a week with nature. I'm pretty excited. I'll work a few of the days but otherwise it will be hiking, kayaking, paddleboarding (I just ordered an inflatable one!), sunbathing, and probably lots of eating and drinking. I can't wait! Just need to get through tomorrow and the long weekend is here
2020-07-01 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
It's a rest week for me - so I just went out for an easy 11 mile ride. I tried hard not to pay attention to my speed and just enjoy the experience as I used to years ago when I was first getting into cycling. It was a refreshing change.

Then my girlfriend and I called every bike shop we could find on the internet in our area and found one that said they could fix my front derailer in one day (most bike shops were telling me I would have to wait three weeks!), so I took my bike there. I've gone to the same place for 8 years and know everyone by name. Walking into a new bike shop felt a little like I was cheating... But the guy said he could easily fix the derailer problem and he would take a shot at adjusting my speedplay cleats (he said he had never worked on them before). He also told me I needed to take better care of my bike and that if I was going to ride on a crushed stone bike path, I needed to lube the chain every day. Please say a pray for the guy fixing my bike - I'm a little nervous leaving my "billy baroo" with a new person.

PT tonight. Should be a good time.

Onward!
2020-07-01 1:09 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

Had a not so healthy weekend and kind of ruined all the good work I did last week. But I had a lot of fun, so that is what matters I suppose

Still got a bunch of workouts in though! Got a swim in on Saturday, a strength workout Monday, a run and some yoga in yesterday, and a strength workout in today. Gonna try to do some yoga this evening as well, and go for a walk with my coworker who lives nearby.

My roommate, some of her friends and I are heading up to NY (basically Canada) on Sunday for a week with nature. I'm pretty excited. I'll work a few of the days but otherwise it will be hiking, kayaking, paddleboarding (I just ordered an inflatable one!), sunbathing, and probably lots of eating and drinking. I can't wait! Just need to get through tomorrow and the long weekend is here

We all have those not so healthy weekends - but at least you still got your workouts in! Enjoy your time away in nature - sounds like a blast.
2020-07-02 3:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Mike Hope you enjoyed the holiday. It sucks that the covid got in the way of your Disney plans, but that's our world for now... Strange times.

DQHow did it go with the new bike mechanic? Hopefully you have full use of your derailleurs now?

Jen You do lead a mad life. I travel, like maybe 15 trips a year average (well maybe not this year)... and I struggle to maintain any sort of training when I'm doing that little bit. How you are able to keep on top of it is amazing.

me Happy with the first half of my week. I've moved the workouts around a bit this week due to Mrs Bullfrogs pottery class being canceled, and my warriors not playing on Friday night for m to spin in front of. So far for the week:

Mon: 1250m laps
Tu: 40min easy run am, 30min Z5 interval spin pm
Wed: 40min spin, 30 easy, 10min fast finish
Th: 75min 'long' spin

On tap for the rest of the week, maybe a swim today if I get time at lunch, 40min run to nanas to pick up Mr 3 after work. 90 min run, and 60min ride, with 10-15min brick run on the weekend.

Edited by bulfrog 2020-07-02 4:09 PM
2020-07-02 4:08 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
So, seeing as we're now in July, how is everyones year going? I know its tough with the covid uncertainty around everything. And that I'm in a better position than most, with everything (other than the border) opened up like normal down here.

But it's check up time. How are we all doing?

For me the first 6 months of the year

Swim: 10,790m, 4hrs 4 min
Bike: 56.7km, 43hr 56 min (most bike is on the spin bike so I dont count mileage)
Run: 457.9km, 60hr 24min

That has me about 108 hours of SBR for the first 6 months. This time last year it was about 70 hours. So happy with the raw numbers.

I'm feeling fitter, but my weight has not improved as much as I would have liked. which is something I really need to work on. But overall, considering the disappointment in January when I chose to defer Ironman, and all the covid madness from March, I'm quite happy with my year to date.

How has is everyone else feeling about the first half of the year?

2020-07-03 6:54 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog So, seeing as we're now in July, how is everyones year going? I know its tough with the covid uncertainty around everything. And that I'm in a better position than most, with everything (other than the border) opened up like normal down here. But it's check up time. How are we all doing? For me the first 6 months of the year Swim: 10,790m, 4hrs 4 min Bike: 56.7km, 43hr 56 min (most bike is on the spin bike so I dont count mileage) Run: 457.9km, 60hr 24min That has me about 108 hours of SBR for the first 6 months. This time last year it was about 70 hours. So happy with the raw numbers. I'm feeling fitter, but my weight has not improved as much as I would have liked. which is something I really need to work on. But overall, considering the disappointment in January when I chose to defer Ironman, and all the covid madness from March, I'm quite happy with my year to date. How has is everyone else feeling about the first half of the year?

So far, so good this year for me.  116 hours on the bike for just over 2,000 miles, 20K yards swimming (LOL - that's about three weeks' worth when I'm getting at it swimming), almost 50 hours of fast walking / hiking (roughly 170 miles total), plus a crap ton of core work and yoga.  Pivoting a bit towards more swimming and hiking/running and maintaing my bike fitness.

Headed to Bikram Yoga for the first time in 5 months...this should be spectacular.

Hope all you "Mericans have a great 4th of July holiday and rest of you have a great weekend.  Stay safe.

2020-07-05 10:25 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Another week of craziness--working a full week in the blistering heat and humidity of Kentucky is killing my workouts. Not to mention, the work is pretty brutal on the body, so every day is exhausting. It rained several days this week and I think we hand bailed thousands of gallons of water off our tarps and tents (and out of our grave pits) on Monday and Tuesday. It was awful.

Saturday was another nice ride on the Louisville Loop trail--25 really easy miles, not chasing speed or watts or HR or anything, just riding because it is supposed to be fun. It was.

Half year totals
Swim 16h 12m--woefully behind 2019
Bike 116h 15m--nearly all on the trainer and only 30h behind 2019 total
Run 56h 53m--about half of 2019 totals, but more than half of the 2019 total mileage (apparently, I'm getting faster!)

Jenn--when will you be in KY next?
2020-07-05 10:52 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well, my week finished off as planned and I got my first 7 hour week (since Jan) done 30 min swimming, 3hr30 on the bike, and 3hr running. But I am feeling it. I'm feeling pretty beat up and was so lethargic by the 2nd half of my long run on Sunday.

I don't think I quite kicked the cold I was suffering from 2 weeks ago... it's just still hanging around, not quite feeling right, and very tired. So I'm going to try and move things around this week to get 1 or 2 rest days in.

Hope you all had a good 4th July weekend.

Edited by bulfrog 2020-07-05 10:57 PM
2020-07-05 10:58 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Mike So you've ticked off more time on the bike than I have in total. Nice first half of the year.

Gretchen Getting faster is a good thing m thinks. Good job!
2020-07-09 2:33 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Back on the bike! Managed a two mile loop yesterday and 3 miles today. Toe still hurts a bit but sooo much better than it was! Pools opening here so might get a chlorine fix soon!

How are we all doing?

2020-07-09 8:08 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Expert
Sorry for not posting more but it's been a busy week. I've worked and biked every day this week. I've also got some big news to share - I hired a coach from training peaks. I don't know what to think of her yet - I've only had her for 2 days but things are looking good.

Hope everyone had a great week!

2020-07-09 9:34 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hasn't been the greatest week for me either.

Been very hectic at work, getting 4 different machines out the door. But as 3 of them are heading overseas commissioning is going to be a way off, so hopefully a more relaxed week next week.

I've only managed 1hr on the bike so far this week. Tried to swim some laps during my lunch break today, but it's the middle of school holidays, 'the pool is at capacity, wait times may vary' and a queue of people filling most of the foyer... So looks like 0 swimming this week.

Hopefully will get a good weekends worth of workouts in.

Have a good weekend everyone.
2020-07-10 5:08 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

I have had some fab beer though! 

NEW ENGLAND IPA

Short sighted beer for tall stories. Our New England, Old School IPA is locked down and loaded. 

Dry-hopped for a juicy hit with pineapple, mango and hint of zesty lime.

It was fab! The explanation for it's brewing from the independent newspaper is below: 

On Friday it was first reported that Mr Cummings (senior government advisor) had driven 260 miles to his father’s home in Durham to self-isolate with his wife Mary, and their four-year-old child, while she had coronavirus symptoms. On Monday Mr Cummings gave a speech at 10 Downing Street, confirming he did drive from his home in London because he was worried about childcare provisions, and later completed a second, shorter journey to local beauty spot, Barnard Castle.Although Mr Cummings alleges this was in a bid to see if he could “drive safely” back to London, as his eyesight had seemingly been damaged when he contracted coronavirus, not as a sightseeing trip.

2020-07-10 3:53 PM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
A week of solid activity, just none of it SBR related. I never expected to be this darn tired after every single day on site.

Heard today that MiTi is cancelled. I had already decided that I was going to defer this year due to covid, but this actually makes me feel much better at the decision. I was starting to second guess myself and wonder if I took the way way out.
2020-07-11 5:31 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

A week of solid activity, just none of it SBR related. I never expected to be this darn tired after every single day on site.

Heard today that MiTi is cancelled. I had already decided that I was going to defer this year due to covid, but this actually makes me feel much better at the decision. I was starting to second guess myself and wonder if I took the way way out.

Gretchen - you made the right call when you deferred this year - and you did it for the right reasons. IMHO - you didn't take the easy way out - you did the right thing - not only for yourself but for all the other people who might have been affected had you been an asymptomatic carrier of Covid.

Sorry you're not getting any workouts in - how much longer are you on site?

2020-07-11 5:43 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bulfrog

Hasn't been the greatest week for me either.

Been very hectic at work, getting 4 different machines out the door. But as 3 of them are heading overseas commissioning is going to be a way off, so hopefully a more relaxed week next week.

I've only managed 1hr on the bike so far this week. Tried to swim some laps during my lunch break today, but it's the middle of school holidays, 'the pool is at capacity, wait times may vary' and a queue of people filling most of the foyer... So looks like 0 swimming this week.

Hopefully will get a good weekends worth of workouts in.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Sorry to hear you haven't had the greatest week but at least you tried to get in some laps. You also have this weekend to make up for it so I hope you were able to get some good sbr in on sat and sun.
2020-07-11 5:49 PM

User image

Expert
I just got back from my latest ride (saturday) and I am stoked. Not only did I bike 20 miles on a "typical day" but I averaged 12.1 mph which is a mile per hour faster than last month.

Tomorrow I have to bike 42 miles which is a little daunting (I haven't biked over 30 since I got back into biking) but I've got to do it if I'm gonna make it to my goal of riding a century in October. Wish me luck.
2020-07-12 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
As I mentioned in my last post - I had a 42 mile ride today. This was a brutal ride. Even though I started at 7am - the temperatures caught up with me and I really started to get hot towards the end of the ride. BUt what really got me was the elevation gain and the hill during my first 24 mile loop. I tried hard to not go out to fast and to let my bike do the work for me - but I was spent by mile 24 and the last 18 was tough. Part of the reason was that 30 miles was my longest ride so far so 42 was 27% more of an effort. Finally - I think I rode too hard yesterday because my legs were tired even before I started.

Things to work on
- nutrition on the bike
- hydration on the bike
- constant pedaling even though my butt hurts on the seat

Question:
1) What are some foods I can eat on the bike? I'm a fan of snickers and fig newtons. I want to avoid expensive gels and stuff like that.
2) How can I dial in my hydration? I remember taking a sweat test during my ironman training but I don't remember the results.

Edited by Qua17 2020-07-13 6:21 AM
2020-07-13 7:18 AM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

, Vermont
Great rides, Dave!
For food options, there are tons. Feed Zone Portables is a book with some nice recipes for biking. They have lots of options like savory rice cakes, sweet options, etc. I used peanut butter and honey sandwiches that I rolled fairly flat with a rolling pin and cut into small squares for many half Ironmans, put in a snack baggie and into the bento box. Boiled potatoes with salt. On hot days pickles are good with the salt. I personally can’t do fig bars on long rides as it could potentially mess with my GI track but that’s a personal thing.

Your triathlete’s training bible will have a thing about doing a sweat test. One simple way is measuring your weight before and after a run (5 or 10k, I can’t remember which) and don’t drink/eat while running. I know there’s a formula but I’m out on the road and can’t put my finger on it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 5866 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123