BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-09-15 8:31 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

Andrew, you've created the legendary Urban Assault Bike.  And the single speed with Look pedals makes it even better.  Does that have coaster brakes, a freewheel, or is it a fixie?  Wondering why the brakes on the bullhorns.

I slapped aerobars on a hybrid with 20 inch wheels for my first tri...it looked ridiculous until I passed people on $7K bikes. 

I'm through 16 stages of my imaginary tour.  Last week we did Yorkshire and London, plus climbed the legendary Alpe du Zwift (modeled on Alpe d'Huez) in Watopia.  Raced a short time trial this morning in Bologna, Italy.  Only 8K but a really hard uphill last 2K.  Tomorrow is an hour-ish race around Innsbruck, and then Thursday is a criterium in a fake city called Crit City.  Friday, Saturday, Sunday will be in the France worlds.

So far 350 miles and almost 18,000 feet of climbing, and I should pass 3,000 miles for the year by the end of the week.

2020-09-15 9:02 AM
in reply to: #5272318

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Hour trainer ride this morning and at some point this afternoon I’ll do a 30’ run.

Stitches came out of my finger yesterday, so I’m more confident that I could do my long ride on Saturday outside, but we’ll see. There is still a little numbness (might have cut the nerve). Also, was notified yesterday that one of my students was exposed to covid at work and she’s now getting tested and under quarrintine until the results come back.
2020-09-15 1:10 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Master
brummie land

Did a ten mile ride today, which I really enjoyed. Rugby tomorrow. 

How is everyone else getting on?

2020-09-16 1:48 PM
in reply to: #5272331

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
A very meh medium run today after lunch. I was going to do it this morning, but just as I was about to walk out the door I heard this weird sound from the basement. I went down to find the house main line had ruptured and was spraying water everywhere. Fun times. Managed to get the water turned off at the street in just a couple of minutes, so the sump pump (installed last year!) took care of the little bit of water there was and since the basement floor is unfinished concrete, I popped on the fan and dehumidifier and I’m calling cleanup done. I was pretty lucky to also be able to get a plumber in this morning to fix the busted pipe. All in all, it was just over two hours from burst to fixed.

Now, off to rebuild the septic take aerator pump that went bust yesterday. *sigh* home ownership...it will never leave you bored, that’s for sure.
2020-09-16 2:56 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Andrew, you've created the legendary Urban Assault Bike.  And the single speed with Look pedals makes it even better.  Does that have coaster brakes, a freewheel, or is it a fixie?  Wondering why the brakes on the bullhorns.

I slapped aerobars on a hybrid with 20 inch wheels for my first tri...it looked ridiculous until I passed people on $7K bikes. 

Urban Assault bike... I like that. Especially Legendary.

It's got a freewheel hub, with rim brakes, hence the breaks on the bull horns.

I found a slightly shorter stem in my shed, 100mm vs the 120 which was on the bike in the photo. Still too long, but I will see how that improves my position on the weekend. Ideally I think 80mm would be right, but I can't bring myself to spend $40-50 on a stem when the whole bike was $198 brand new.
2020-09-16 3:06 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by sappho96

How is everyone else getting on?

4 days into the week.

1 swim Tuesday morning, 1000m the pool was pretty full, so rest periods were more dictated by avoiding the other swimmers in my lane. ended up about 2 minutes less rest time than the last few swims, so happy with that.

3 bikes. 1 30min recovery, 1 45min and 1 60 min Z2 ride.

1 run, this morning. 45min easy pace. Legs felt like lead. blah. but got it done. Good thing is my rolled ankle seems to be gone (knock on wood) All going to plan I will try to start adding higher effort intervals back into running next week.

Feeling a bit tired at the moment. But pushing ahead.
My half marathon which was canceled due to covid in April had been re scheduled for this Sunday. But it has unfortunately been canceled again due to covid. I'm not too unhappy about it, a 21km run isn't ideal for my training plan at the moment anyway, and I get an entry into next years HM in April, where hopefully I can use my Ironman fitness to set a HM PB.

Have a good week guys.

2020-09-17 6:30 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Oof! Had my first ever contact session yesterday and wow! It was hard. I now need to learn how to fall properly. Managed a little ride before and after to warm the legs up which is helping. 

Happy Thursday everyone!

2020-09-17 9:00 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hour long trainer ride this morning and it was a mixed bag. Coach set up 4 repeats of 4'@94% FTP, 3' @ 90%, 1'@88%. First two repeats were strong. Third was okay, but nothing spectacular. Fourth was just hanging on for dear life trying to hit power targets. It also became apparent during this ride that I really don't know how to drop from 90% to 88% without the bottom completely falling out. They just don't feel any different to me!

Anyway, rest day tomorrow, and I think I need it.
2020-09-17 9:44 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Guess where I've just been??? Ahhhhhhh yay for chlorine! First swim since lockdown and it was divine! Also got to share a lane with a proper swimmer who was busting out IM's. Loved it!

2020-09-17 12:02 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Guess where I've just been??? Ahhhhhhh yay for chlorine! First swim since lockdown and it was divine! Also got to share a lane with a proper swimmer who was busting out IM's. Loved it!

HAhaha!!! I have NEVER said I "got" to share a lane with someone doing IM! There is always much more grumbling when talking about sharing a lane with someone doing butterfly and/or breast.

I can't wait to get into the pool again! Just as our pool opened I decided to try to cut my finger off and you can't (or, I should say shouldn't) go swimming with stitches. Stitches came out on Monday, so just a few more days to let the holes left by the stitches heal and I'm going to give it a go next week.
2020-09-17 2:43 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Oof! Had my first ever contact session yesterday and wow! It was hard. I now need to learn how to fall properly. Managed a little ride before and after to warm the legs up which is helping. 

Happy Thursday everyone!

So cool, I’ve always wanted to try rubgy. A fun sport that would have suited me I think! Oh well...

2020-09-18 7:56 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove

HAhaha!!! I have NEVER said I "got" to share a lane with someone doing IM! There is always much more grumbling when talking about sharing a lane with someone doing butterfly and/or breast. I can't wait to get into the pool again! Just as our pool opened I decided to try to cut my finger off and you can't (or, I should say shouldn't) go swimming with stitches. Stitches came out on Monday, so just a few more days to let the holes left by the stitches heal and I'm going to give it a go next week.

They had to do wider lanes because of the social distancing thing; but then made everyone swim anti-clockwise so potential arm clashes as you swam...no common sense! 

Enjoy being back in the pool next week!

2020-09-18 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

HAhaha!!! I have NEVER said I "got" to share a lane with someone doing IM! There is always much more grumbling when talking about sharing a lane with someone doing butterfly and/or breast. I can't wait to get into the pool again! Just as our pool opened I decided to try to cut my finger off and you can't (or, I should say shouldn't) go swimming with stitches. Stitches came out on Monday, so just a few more days to let the holes left by the stitches heal and I'm going to give it a go next week.

Try swimming Masters with 7 or 8 people in your lane.  It's like open water swimming.

2020-09-18 4:39 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Try swimming Masters with 7 or 8 people in your lane.  It's like open water swimming.

Yep! But i love it!

2020-09-19 9:40 AM
in reply to: #5272351

User image

, Vermont
Ahhh, I miss swimming. I haven’t been swimming since February. You’d think with the summer I would have done some OWS but with the planned move and house prep I haven’t done but a single workout since the beginning of July or so. In less than two weeks I’ll be in the next house though and have a workout room planned in the finished basement, so yay! Still following everyone, living vicariously! I’ve at least done a bunch of walks though.

Andrew, sweet single gear!
2020-09-20 11:29 AM
in reply to: #5272424

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Solid weekend of training here. 1:45 trainer ride followed by a 30’ brick run yesterday and then an hour run this morning. Everything went well and the weather is gorgeous! I really wanted to do the ride outside, but the laceration on my finger still isn’t quite healed and I don’t have the grip strength with just the three other fingers to brake. Maybe next weekend!

2020-09-20 5:22 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

There are few sights as beautiful as an empty lap pool waiting for you.

Not sure about sharing with someone doing IM tho... for me butterfly is a solitary thing
2020-09-20 5:39 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
90 minute run Saturday and 2 hr 15ish ride on the single speed Sunday to finish the week off.

Totals for the week

S: x 2, 2000m 45 min (8 minutes less time in the pool than last week for the same distance... sharing lanes = shorter rests haha)
B: x 5, 5 hours total.
R: x 3, 3 hours total.

8hrs 45min for the week. I'm ok with that. Would have liked an even 9, but by the end of Sundays ride I was dropping my mate far to easily so did the social thing and finished up 1/4 hour early and got a coffee. Going forwards I might start doing an hour or so riding solo before meeting up with him, so by the end of the ride he's the fresh one and I'm having to push to keep up.

This week is a rest week for me, so after 66 consecutive days of SBR, the streak ends today. I'm planning today off, and one day on the weekend to help recharge the batteries. Going forwards, getting into the longer hours training I know I'm going to need days off to recover, so now is the time to make the call and end the streak.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend.
2020-09-21 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, all.  Completed my virtual Tour de France yesterday with about 23 miles around the Champs-Elysses course on Zwift, while doing this:

Total of 470 or so miles, 21 stages in 23 days, 7 of which were races.  Over 30 hours, longest ride was 41 miles outdoors and I had a 39 mile race (that was hard...).  Two really long climbs, totaled 27K+ feet of climbing (I probably should have done one more "mountain" stage to get an Everest badge...).  I also pushed through 3,000 miles for the year

Taking a few days easy (including a day of doing NOTHING today, like Andrew) and then going to shoot for about 60 miles outside Saturday.

2020-09-21 8:49 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by bulfrog

There are few sights as beautiful as an empty lap pool waiting for you.

Not sure about sharing with someone doing IM tho... for me butterfly is a solitary thing

As someone who loves butterfly, I would very much rather have my own lane. I feel less affected if I'm swimming freestyle, as I feel it's the onus of the one doing butterfly to adjust as we pass (switching to one arm typically).

Did they only allow 2 people to use those humongous lanes at a time though? If that's the case that is plenty of space.
2020-09-21 8:53 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all! Happy last day of summer for those of us on the northern hemisphere (depressing, I know, but I feel like if I say it likes it's a positive thing it will be a positive thing).

I've been off the grid for a bit. Work has been a bit nuts. We took over another division that needs a lot of cleaning up, so my days are meetings and messes.

The Baltimore Triathlon, which I do each year, decided to still hold it this year but gave everyone the option to defer, which I did. I've still been trying to get back into a groove. I started running again, have been doing yoga semi-regularly, and am doing some boot camps in the park near my house. I'm at my heaviest weight ever, so am working on cleaning up my diet as well. I'm also seeing a chiropractor to try and get some help with my neck/back/shoulders.

I hope everyone is well! I'm going to try to go back a bit but think i'm about 6 pages of messages behind

2020-09-22 7:48 AM
in reply to: #5272427

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hour trainer ride this morning. Certainly was an exercise in concentration. If I was paying attention, I hit my target power numbers. If my mind wandered, I was either way over or way under target. 30’ run later to celebrate the beginning of fall!! Favorite season, here we come!
2020-09-23 7:36 AM
in reply to: #5272454

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
45’ run this morning. It felt good—the weather is crisp and it is my favorite time of the year to run.
2020-09-23 3:33 PM
in reply to: #5272481

User image

, Vermont
Mike, awesome riding! Well done and yes, you absolutely deserve a rest day. Love the glass of wine. Hahahaha. Perfect!
2020-09-23 3:37 PM
in reply to: #5272493

User image

, Vermont
Out on the road. I managed a couple of short two mile runs trying out the peloton app using the running piece. It’s definitely a distraction having someone prattle away in your ear the whole time. I’ve been doing a bunch of walking leading into the runs I don’t bother to log but trying to get my legs back under me slowly so as to avoid injury. I’ve also been trying a few of Peloton’s core classes and body weight strengthening classes I can do right in the hotel rooms. It’s actually working out well that I don’t have to come up with my own thing and can string a bunch of classes together depending on what I want to work out. (Not a plug for Peloton at all, just what’s working for me while on the road).
We close on our house next week and move in. Eek!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 5917 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123