BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2019-12-04 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

NAME:  Mike (jmhpsu93)

LOCATION:  about 15 minutes east of Baltimore (I'm in Middle River, MD)

EXPERIENCE:  XC/track in high school, volleyball/basketball in college, continued the weekend warrior athlete thing through my 20s (played lots of beach doubles in the 90s when it was popular), got married and had a kid, gained 30 lbs.  Decided to do the Baltimore half marathon in 2007 and had a great time training and racing.  My wife had done a couple of those Danskin women's triathlons after having our daughter and I thought it would be cool to do so I signed up for one in 2010, never having swam for exercise.  First pool swim lasted about 5 minutes.   Got through the training and the race (including a 5K PR during the tri) and I was hooked.  I have 6 HMs and about 7-8 tris under my belt.  Best season was 2013-2014.  Been dealing with injuries ever since (mostly low back)

FAMILY:  Wife and 17YO daughter who swims year round and was faster than me by the time she was 11.  

TRAINING:  Mostly cycling and a little swimming, looking to up both this year and get running again. 

RACING:  Getting my bike racing license and doing a mix of bike races:  criteriums, time trials, and stage races.  And the occasional sprint tri if my back can handle some running

MY MENTOR/MENTEE EXPERIENCE:  Been in a mentor group since 2011, I'm on the webs often and still participate in the main forums   This group really doesn't have a main mentor - we rely on our collective experiences and strangely we mostly agree.  We welcome new members and are happy to share our experiences.  We're also global with folks in Europe and New Zealand, so someone is almost always around the house, so to speak.

I'm also a big data nut and have read tons of books on training (Friel, Mafatone, Daniels...) and can relay some of my successes and failures using really structured training.

FAVORITE BEER (BONUS SECTION):  Ballast Point Sculpin, Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA (I really should move to CA).  Local favorites are Heavy Seas Loose Cannon.  Also love the red wine, CA cabs for the most part.

2019-12-28 9:34 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
NAME: Gretchen (drfoodlove)

LOCATION: extreme southern Illinois (near the confluence of the MS and OH rivers)

EXPERIENCE: some sportage in high school, but then about 15 years of nothing. Then saw triathlon in the 2012 Olympics and (stupidly) thought "That doesn't look hard! I can do that!" Turns out I can do that, but it is actually hard!! Started racing tri in 2014 (I think) with sprints. Then did a season of Oly, then HIM for a few seasons and this year I'm gonna do a full.

FAMILY: Amazingly supportive wife and crack-head dog who runs with me (up to 8 miles)

TRAINING: Yes...all the time. Aiming for IM distance this year, so there will be training and lots of it.

RACING: Michigan Titanium full distance is my A race this year. Not sure what else I'm going to do before that, but I'm sure there will be some things worked in there.

MY MENTOR/MENTEE EXPERIENCE: Not sure when I first joined this group, but I've been around a while. As Mike said, we tend to mentor each other with lots of support and no one really "leads" us. Love the open nature of this group and the members from all around the world means someone is always in season!!

FAVORITE BEER (BONUS SECTION): I'm a porter and stout gal--the darker, the better. I loathe IPAs and super hoppy beers, which means I'm very SOL with craft beers lately. :P
2019-12-29 4:36 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Knock knock, may I come in? I like beer.

Been around the forum a few years and was in the ”greys” mentor group which was so quiet (partly my fault of course) that it’s not coming back. Looking for a new ”home” for 2020

NAME: Nathalie

LOCATION: Europe. (Sweden for the last 18 years, England before that and grew up in France)

EXPERIENCE: Martial arts and team sports (mainly soccer) all my life until knees gave up. Nothing for a few years (except gaining weight if that’s a sport) until I tried triathlon in 2014. Not hooked from the start, was training sporadically and doing one sprint a year until 2017 when It finally clicked and I started to take it more seriously. Trained more, lost weight, got better. 2018 was my best year, did 5 sprints, was in good shape, had great results. 2019 was marred by a nagging foot injury (which is still not 100% fixed) and although I still did 5 sprints, the motivation to train was not there. No great results and I got beaten by my friend in her first tri at the one I won last year. (although I boast a bronze medal in my AG at the Swedish duathlon championships. Yes, you have guessed, there was 3 of us in that AG. I finished 17 minutes behind the winner). Hoping to get back on track for 2020, the year I turn 50 (if my foot wants to play). Still no intentions of going longer than sprint.

FAMILY: Husband, 15yo son who could nor care less about tris. One dog, 2 cats. Full time job

TRAINING: I am hoping to get some structured training back on the schedule

RACING: looking at my usual 5 sprints. Toying with the idea of participating in the European Championship in my AG (all I have to do to qualify is to turn up at the Swedish championship a couple of months earlier, as they take 25 in each AG and I am sure we will be less). That would be cool.

MY MENTOR/MENTEE EXPERIENCE:

FAVORITE BEER (BONUS SECTION): Lager!
2019-12-29 6:22 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Welcome, Nathalie!

2019-12-30 9:00 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Welcome, Nathalie!

Thanks!

Well, I’ve done it, just signed up for the Swedish championship, which should see me qualified for the European Championship just by finishing...
2019-12-30 1:07 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
NAME: Nicole

EXPERIENCE: Grew up playing all kinds of sports. Ran track/XC in college, and I used to swim competitively, so tris just made sense. My parents bought me a bike for a bday, and about 6 years later I did my first tri, lol. I totally loved it. I'm not great at sticking to a training plan, but I'm always active so do pretty well. I play football and volleyball, do boot camps, and walk any time I can.

FAMILY: My furbaby kitty, Raven

TRAINING: I need to get my a$$ in gear! Starting with swimming, and will likely do some cycling classes and try to get out and run, either outside or on the dreadmill. I'm also going to keep doing my regular boot camps and I'm trying to get into doing yoga every day.

RACING: I didn't do any tris last year b/c I was having injury problems and think my legs just wanted a break. Hoping to do a few sprints, and maybe an oly or two.

MY MENTOR/MENTEE EXPERIENCE: I've been in this group for years. Maybe since 2013 or 2014 I think? It's been great, having people to keep you accountable!

FAVORITE BEER (BONUS SECTION): I, like Gretchen, am a huge Porter/Stout girl. I especially love a delicious chocolate PB stout, like Sweet Baby Jesus. I also love red wine, like Malbecs, Chiantis, and Tempranillos.

2019-12-30 1:08 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome, Nathalie!!
2019-12-30 1:12 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

As you all have heard me say (or I guess have read my writing...) that I'm going to do some bike races this year.  It's interesting on the planning - while triathlon registrations open up usually in December for the entire following season, there are NO bike races open yet for registration in 2020.  Thankfully there are some save-the-dates and so forth so I can plan my calendar, but after planning out triathlon racing in previous years this seems SO disorganized.

I've been stacking up some Bikram Yoga session over the past few days while sprinkling in a couple of rides as sort of a mini-taper going into my fitness test tomorrow.  I'll be interested to see the gains after five weeks of good training and a little more experience in the testing protocol on Sufferfest.

2019-12-30 1:27 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

As you all have heard me say (or I guess have read my writing...) that I'm going to do some bike races this year.  It's interesting on the planning - while triathlon registrations open up usually in December for the entire following season, there are NO bike races open yet for registration in 2020.  Thankfully there are some save-the-dates and so forth so I can plan my calendar, but after planning out triathlon racing in previous years this seems SO disorganized.

I've been stacking up some Bikram Yoga session over the past few days while sprinkling in a couple of rides as sort of a mini-taper going into my fitness test tomorrow.  I'll be interested to see the gains after five weeks of good training and a little more experience in the testing protocol on Sufferfest.

Yeah, that’s quite interesting. How is it for running races?
2019-12-31 1:49 PM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Finished the year off with a short run—my first since getting back home. It was a rough reentry that started with a horrible cough, then a minor (unplanned) surgical procedure, and finally a tattoo that needed to heal. All that I behind me now and this run was ok, except for the fact that I way over dressed and nearly overheated.
2020-01-01 11:19 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
HAPPY NEW YEAR BT, and especially BDASers!

30km mountain biking on wet trails, mostly against the wind (or so it felt) to go and get the car which we had left at our friends’s house where we celebrated New Year.
Took a while but who’s in a hurry. Great start to the year!

2020-01-01 7:26 PM

User image

Expert
NAME: David, Dave, or DQ for short (Qua17)

LOCATION: I currently live about 30 minutes west of Boston. I'm originally from Cleveland, OH and love all things CLE!

EXPERIENCE: I've always been active, and I ran my first 10K when I was 9 (I finished DFL). I was never fast but I always loved to run. Unfortunately, I was always injured. I got into triathlons when my massage therapist suggested I try Tri because it would mean less irritation for my constantly sore ITB. I fell in love with the sport and reveled in the comradery. I was part of the original BDAS that was founded by a great guy named Darren H back in 2012 - the year I lost 100 pounds. Since then, I've worked my way up from a sprint to an Ironman (2014 IMMT) and would never have been able to pull it off without the help of this group. In 2017, I ran the Boston marathon and while I came close to finishing DFL, I still notched a bucket list goal.

FAMILY: Going through a crappy divorce but have fallen in love with a beautiful woman who supports me in every way. I'm blessed to have three kids (19, 17, 10).

TRAINING: Right now, I'm really struggling to get back on the wagon. I'm more than 100 pounds overweight and I rarely exercise. I need to make it my mission to refire my engines this month.

RACING: My goal this year is to drop 50+ lbs so I can be in a position to complete another IM in 2021 for my 50th birthday. But for now, I've just got to get my engines relit and get back into the game. I was going to make it my goal to do a HIM this year but I think I'd like to finish off the year with an Oly under my belt.

MY MENTOR/MENTEE EXPERIENCE: Been in this group since 2012 and everything I have accomplished I owe, in part, to this group. The people in this group have always been there for me and I can't thank them enough for their help. To pay back my debt, I will help support you guys in any way that will help you achieve your goals. But this year, I am really going to need your help because I am going through a hell-storm (divorce, a crappy minimum wage job) and I haven't exercised consistently since 2017.

FAVORITE BEER (BONUS SECTION): My favorite beer is Two Hearted Ale by Bells. I love the balance between the malt and the hops. I also get into sour beers and I have not met a Saison that I didn't like. My least favorite beer is Coors Lite

2020-01-01 7:30 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Nathalie - that might be the best opening line in the history of this group! Welcome to the party - we are thrilled to have you!
2020-01-01 7:47 PM

User image

Expert

Hey Mike - hows the back?
2020-01-02 3:02 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Nathalie - that might be the best opening line in the history of this group! Welcome to the party - we are thrilled to have you!

Thank you! Looking forward to this tri year.
Sorry to hear about your difficult divorce. Hope it’s soon over.
2020-01-02 2:54 PM
in reply to: #5265037

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Another short run today. I’m ready to get back to normal around here. I never thought I’d say this, but Christmas break has been too long!! ??

2020-01-02 4:18 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
DQ, great to see you! Keep your goals small and let us know whenever you need some motivation!

Gretchen, welcome back to the states! Hope your trip all went well! You will be back to your machine ways in no time!

I had a rough start to my week. We lost an old friend and his memorial was on Monday. It was a sad day, and afterwards I drank a bit too much Hysteria Brown Ale (A Dark and Hazy Fortnight I believe). Tuesday I was sad, hungover, and my eyes were swollen, so took it easy for NYE and I'm now doing Dry January. I know, I don't belong in this group and I'm sorry to shame us so!

Woke up New Year's Day feeling great, so went and did a 25 minute interval workout on the dreadmill. Swam with my squad this morning. We got about 2100 in (long warmup followed by 24 x 50). Still feeling it!

Anyway, my motivation is renewed with the new year and I'm excited to get back into my routine, drop some lbs, and feel like myself again!
2020-01-02 7:08 PM
in reply to: #5265114

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Sorry to hear about your loss, Nicole!
2020-01-03 12:05 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks Gretchen!

I worked late last night and missed my workout this morning, but I packed a bag so I can go straight to the gym after work (if I go home it's game over...onesie and my couch rest of the night). Planning on doing a run tonight, followed by some yoga, then a couple classes in the morning!
2020-01-03 12:51 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e DQ, great to see you! Keep your goals small and let us know whenever you need some motivation! Gretchen, welcome back to the states! Hope your trip all went well! You will be back to your machine ways in no time! I had a rough start to my week. We lost an old friend and his memorial was on Monday. It was a sad day, and afterwards I drank a bit too much Hysteria Brown Ale (A Dark and Hazy Fortnight I believe). Tuesday I was sad, hungover, and my eyes were swollen, so took it easy for NYE and I'm now doing Dry January. I know, I don't belong in this group and I'm sorry to shame us so! Woke up New Year's Day feeling great, so went and did a 25 minute interval workout on the dreadmill. Swam with my squad this morning. We got about 2100 in (long warmup followed by 24 x 50). Still feeling it! Anyway, my motivation is renewed with the new year and I'm excited to get back into my routine, drop some lbs, and feel like myself again!

I was swimming there this morning!  I think I might have seen you from a distance walking out of the locker room...maybe 6:40ish?

For those of you who don't know, Nicole and I have lived within 15 minutes of each other and go to the same gym for as long as we've been in this mentor group, and have NEVER MET IN PERSON.  LOL

2020-01-03 12:52 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17

Hey Mike - hows the back?

Status quo though the yoga helps a lot.  Still not much running, hence the racing on the bike. 

Thanks for asking.

2020-01-03 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Yeah, that’s quite interesting. How is it for running races?

Kind of all over the place...the bigger races open 8-10 months in advance, while some of the smaller ones you don't even know if they're going to have it again until you get an email as they don't have a web or Facebook site.

2020-01-04 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good morning.  I'm doing the time-honored January weekend tradition of watching a swim meet.  Last season, though, as daughter is a senior.  I got up at 5 AM this morning and got in a short ride and some core work before heading over here.  I'm exhausted.  

Just spent the last two weeks in a bit of a recovery period and my training plan starts up again Monday.  Lots of sweet spot work on the bike this month as I repeat Base 2 because Training Peaks thinks I'm fat and out of shape and need the extra base training to physically survive the Build period.    I bailed on my fitness test Tuesday as I woke feeling a little run down so felt that would be a stupid idea to let it rip in that state.  Going to up my FTP settings 5 watts in TrainerRoad and Sufferfest as punishment.  Consider that my Coors Light Penalty (for those of you new, that is DQ's penalty to anyone that doesn't fulfill commitments, training or otherwise).  

2020-01-04 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi, I’d like to join back in. I was in the group at the beginning and even have the shirt to prove it :-). I dipped my toe back in with a relay last summer and came here for advice. I realized I missed it and signed up for a race this summer. My last tri was 2015...

I will get my computer out to do the full bio later. I have to take my daughter to Nordic ski practice (and go for a ski) this morning (have to wake her up first).

I need serious help with consistency.

Kate
2020-01-04 11:55 AM
in reply to: #5265123

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Just bit the bullet and signed up for MiTi full distance in Aug. gonna go vomit now. :P
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 5712 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123