BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-07-13 9:57 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

Epic ride, DQ!!! Don't worry about crashing, 42 miles is a long damn ride. As for nutrition, I can't stand solid food on the bike or the run (but for some reason I can eat in the pool?? ) and I drink watered-down Gatorade.  If I decide to go through with my self-supported half-IM I might have to try out some solid food.  I do tolerate Zone Perfect bars pre-ride, so that's probably where I'd start.

I started my tri plan this week, even if it doesn't culminate in anything grand.  2K yards in the pool, 60 miles total on the bike, and 12 miles out doing what passes for running these days for me.  I'm even doing some "intervals" on our walks where I'll push to about 4.4 mph.  I also got in a really good Bikram Yoga session and some other strength and core work.  Monday is my day off so nothing today.

2020-07-13 2:14 PM
in reply to: #5271475

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
I ran today! First time in a very long time, and I got up at 3:30am to fit it in before heading to site at 5:30. I was slow and ugly, but done!!
2020-07-13 3:48 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well I finished off the week reasonably well. 90ish minute bike Friday evening. 45min run Saturday and 75min run Sunday. Only 4.5 hours total this week. But as I started the week feeling a bit run down, making things into a cutback week isn't the worst thing that could happen.

Started this week right with an after work run on Monday night to pick up Mr 3 from his Nana, and looking forward to another solid week over 7 hours.
2020-07-13 4:06 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
DQ Great ride, 30 - 42 miles is a big jump up in distance, so not surprising it was tough. good job for getting it done.

re food on the bike. I have a pretty cast iron stomach on the bike, I tend to use gels/shot blocks etc. just some simple sugar, even a bento box full of jelly beans does the job. A banana is a good option if I feel like something more solid. I don't do a lot of powerade type drinks, as I tend to separate nutrition and hydration. I'm a heavy sweater so on a hot day I'll drink a heap more than a cold one, and i've always been concerned that that variation would stuff up my nutrition plan.

The only exception to that was flat coke, at the back end of long rides... that stuff is nectar from the gods.

re hydration, I'm not sure you need a sweat test or anything. I think as triathletes we tend to over think, and over complicate things. At the end of the day we aren't highly tuned professional racers needing that last 1/2% gain.

If I were you I would go with trial and error. On your long rides, set an alarm and drink every 10-15 minutes. If after a 42 mile ride you don't feel like having a pee, you probably didn't drink enough/if you need to stop every 10 miles then too much. Adjust how much/often you drink and repeat until you find a happy medium. It's pretty easy to tell from the frequency/color of bathroom breaks if you're under or over hydrated.

Mike Sounds like a solid first week tri training

Gretchen It's nice for you to have the race canned to confirm your decision. I went through the same thing when I deferred IMNZ in March. But given enough time from the decision I'm now at peace that I made the right call, and I'm sure you will be too.

Have a good week everyone.
2020-07-14 4:02 AM
in reply to: #5271481

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
3:30am trainer ride for me today. Just 30’, but it is something and two days in a row is getting me back into my routine.

Yesterday, we had to evacuate our site early. Turned out there was a shooting about a mile away and the gunman was hiding in the woods right behind our site trailer. I’ve never been evacuate from a site by the SWAT team. Exciting! We are all safe and the guy was apprehended, so we’re back at it again today.
2020-07-14 12:23 PM
in reply to: #5271487

User image

, Vermont
Ack, Gretchen! Where is the site you’re working on in Louisville? How long will you be there? I have a weekend I may be there for if it looks like I can’t make it home on Aug 1 & 2. I still hope to get home but it’s looking like I’ll have to stay in Louisville.

2020-07-14 8:34 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

3:30am trainer ride for me today. Just 30’, but it is something and two days in a row is getting me back into my routine.

Yesterday, we had to evacuate our site early. Turned out there was a shooting about a mile away and the gunman was hiding in the woods right behind our site trailer. I’ve never been evacuate from a site by the SWAT team. Exciting! We are all safe and the guy was apprehended, so we’re back at it again today.

A 3:30 wake up time? that is badass! Glad to hear you guys were safe although if it came down to a wrestling match between you and the gunman - I'd be putting my money on you.
2020-07-14 8:43 PM

User image

Expert
ANother 90 minute long endurance ride in the books. Despite the day off yesterday, I still felt tired from the weekend's 60+ effort.

But the big news is that I hit the scales today at 239.4 - which means I'm finally under the 240 mark. Let's hope I can keep going.

to celebrate the weightloss my girlfriend and I bought some really good scotch. I got Laphroaig 10 years and she got Macallan 12 years. It's been a good night so far.

Onward people!

2020-07-15 5:47 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by Qua17 Let's hope I can keep going. to celebrate the weightloss my girlfriend and I bought some really good scotch. I got Laphroaig 10 years and she got Macallan 12 years.

mmmmm....sounds delicious! What cask are they? I have been drinking Penderyn and like madeira cask the best. 

2020-07-15 7:10 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Master
brummie land

And I have done some exercise! Back on the bike doing normal routes (not my careful local flattish route) and the toe seems to be fine. Then last night I did HIIT training with rugby mates and some handling drills. I ache today but I LOVED it! 

2020-07-16 12:05 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi everyone!
Sounds like people are having some productive weeks, either with training, work, or resting from illness!

I had a wonderful trip up to Thousand Island Park in NY last week. We were there Sunday to Sunday. Very long drive (about 8 hours with gas and food breaks), but it wasn't too bad. Got some workouts in while we were up there. Did some morning yoga, my inflatable paddleboard came so I got a few trips out on that, and did a long kayak trip. Saw Canada from a distance (they won't let us in but I think I could've snuck in on my kayak), and the Boldt castle, which has a huge boathouse that was pretty neat.

Also did lots of relaxing, which was much needed, and finally got a nice tan going. I did not do any open water swims, mostly out of fear that I would get hit by a boat or jet ski that didn't see me. I also didn't run, which I regret. It's all spread out with these adorable gingerbread house cottages, and it was nice to not be near people and not worry too much about COVID.

2020-07-17 3:47 AM
in reply to: #5271496

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nicole—glad you hear your vacation was good!!

Another 3:30am run this morning before heading to the field. Running in the city sure is...different. I saw an obvious drug deal go down at one point, had a man yell “work it” at me for a block or more as I passed, and ran into a gaggle of teenagers loitering on the corner (at 4am!!). I don’t think I’ll take that route again.

Jenn—I don’t know exactly how long I’ll be in Louisville. I suspect until mid-August, at the rate we’re going. Let me know if you’re going to be in town!
2020-07-17 2:33 PM

User image

Expert
I need some good biking mojo - Yesterday on my ride, I couldn't shift from the small ring to the big ring. It ruined my ride since I was supposed to be riding in the big ring to work on leg strength. ANyway - I just called a half dozen bike shops and the news was not good. THe best I could get was a week long repair but I would have to drop my bike off and lose the use of it. On the other side of the coin was a deal where I could drop it off for two days but they are busy until early aug. I've got a 50 mile bike ride coming up this weekend and would hate to have to do it all in the small ring. UGH!

It's a rest day for me some I'm not missing out on anything today - but I'm bored as hell.

Hope everyone is having a good Friday!

2020-07-19 6:22 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@DQ:  I have fits with my front derailleur all the time.  Right now I'm just able to shift up into the big ring and I'm getting some chain rub so I also rode most of my ride in the little ring yesterday.  You're only getting another 5-6 gears in your big ring anyway, so it only matters on the downhills.

It might not hurt to take a look at a couple of you tube videos and see if you can adjust your FD a little.  It's worth a try anyway.

I could also use some good bike mojo.  I flatted for no reason last Sunday (bike just sitting in the living room), then flatted on a brand new tube on the trainer on Wednesday (the tube apparently was defective...),  then put another tube on yesterday morning and I had to stop after my first half mile because there was a huge bulge in the sidewall (so that tube was also defective...).  Finally put my last available tube on and it behaved for 30+ miles yesterday but I stayed close to the house as I was using the bulging defective one as my spare.  Gotta order some more I guess.

2020-07-19 10:05 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
DQ--agree with Mike, try giving a few YouTube videos a gander and see if you can't fix the issue yourself.

Mike--I bet that 30 miles was nerve wracking!! I once went out on a 50 mile out and back ride and realized about about mile 24 that I had forgotten to put my under-seat bag on and was riding with no spare tubes, no quick cash, no identification, no nothing. I was never so happy to see my house after that one!

Spent about 1:40 riding the Louisville Loop today. I was hoping for more, but it was HOT out and I'm tired from working in the heat all day during the week. So, I tapped out and just as I was making it back to my truck, a sno-cone truck pulled up. I took that as a sign! Man, that thing was delicious! I don't think I've had a sno-cone in a decade, but pure syrupy bliss was had this morning!

I think I've worked out a new schedule for myself. I'm going to try it this week. We finish up on site at 2pm and I'm usually back at the apartment by 2:30ish. After a shower, I have a lot of free time until dinner and I've currently been filling that free time with beer and bourbon. I went to the store for a six pack on Friday afternoon and came back with six six packs. :D Anyway, I was thinking today, I could take my bike with me and leave directly from site to the bike trail. It would take about the same amount of time to get to the bike trail as it does to get home, so I skip the middle part where I drive home, talk myself out of going for a ride and into drinking for four hours a night (this is not the healthiest habit I've ever developed!). I could get in a quick 20 miles or so before needing to be back home for dinner. I'm going to give this plan a try this week. At least two days after work, I'm off to the trail (assuming the forecased storms don't occur)
2020-07-19 9:13 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
DQ Sorry to hear about more bike troubles. But I agree with Mike and Gretchen, have a look at some of the home bike mechanic videos and have a crack yourself. Check out Sheldon Browns website, https://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.htmlI've got lots of info there over the years trying to fix things myself.

Gretchen 330am running is badass. Good luck with the biking on the way home plan. Getting started again after stopping for the day is something I struggle with too, your new plan sounds way better.

2020-07-19 9:24 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Had an OK week, but didn't quite hit my 7 hour goal.

My long run on Saturday was one of the worst runs I've had in a long time. I was slow, legs felt very heavy and my heart rate was like 15-20bpm higher than it should have been for an easy run. Over all I just generally felt slow/tired and crappy... End of the story, I called it a day after an hour, rather than the 90 minutes planned.

I had hopped to re attempt a long run Saturday, but unfortunately Mr 3 was feeling a bit crook on Saturday night. So I did the right family thing and stayed home, so missed the run. Hopefully a bit of a running break will be all that was needed to get my mojo back. I did get a spin in both Saturday and Sunday. So got something done.

Swim, 1 x, 1000m
Bike, 5 x, 4 hours total
Run, 2 x, 1hr 45 total.

6hr 10 total for the week.

Hope everyone else had a good week.
2020-07-21 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Today was a fun morning climbing a mountain on Zwift, the Virtual Tour de France Stage 5 Discovery Ride:

Yes, that's an 11% incline, pretty much the whole way up.  Took me over an hour to go about 5 miles.

2020-07-21 3:55 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Today was a fun morning climbing a mountain on Zwift, the Virtual Tour de France Stage 5 Discovery Ride:

Yes, that's an 11% incline, pretty much the whole way up.  Took me over an hour to go about 5 miles.

UGH!!! If you are going to have to ride fake miles inside, at least they shouldn't be uphill!!!
2020-07-21 4:00 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I had a pretty catastrophically bad idea today to drive straight from the excavation site to the local bike trail to get in a ride. First, it is 94F with a heat index of 100F. The trail has no shade...none...nada...zip...zilch. That nice cooling breeze you get on the bike...yeah, that felt like the furnace blower was pointed on me. I ended up calling it after 30'...it just wasn't fun at that point. Then, I got to surprise #2--all the dirt I had accumulated on my legs throughout the day while excavating turned into a mud slick with sweat and ran down into my shoes. So now my bike shoes have mud in them created from sweat and dirt that more than likely contains bits of dead people. Great.
2020-07-21 7:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove I had a pretty catastrophically bad idea today to drive straight from the excavation site to the local bike trail to get in a ride. First, it is 94F with a heat index of 100F. The trail has no shade...none...nada...zip...zilch. That nice cooling breeze you get on the bike...yeah, that felt like the furnace blower was pointed on me. I ended up calling it after 30'...it just wasn't fun at that point. Then, I got to surprise #2--all the dirt I had accumulated on my legs throughout the day while excavating turned into a mud slick with sweat and ran down into my shoes. So now my bike shoes have mud in them created from sweat and dirt that more than likely contains bits of dead people. Great.

Hence my riding up a fake mountain staring at a screen that says I'm moving 4 mph.   It was 81 degrees at 7 AM this morning - I started sweating walking out to get the paper (yes, we still get one of those...).

And ewww. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2020-07-21 7:20 PM

2020-07-23 5:24 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Hence my riding up a fake mountain staring at a screen that says I'm moving 4 mph.   It was 81 degrees at 7 AM this morning - I started sweating walking out to get the paper (yes, we still get one of those...).

And ewww. 

And you cannot fall off your bike if you are on zwift! 

2020-07-23 5:53 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by sappho96

And ewww. 

That's true in theory, but I think both Gretchen and I have almost fallen off the trainer.  LOL

Yesterday was the final Virtual Tour de France preview ride, simulating the traditional final day in the real TdF (minus he 60-mile lead-in) where you do a circuit race up and down the Champs Elysses in Paris on the cobbles.  This "preview ride" was no doubt a race as they put you in your categories.  I had a good first 30 minutes then crashed and burned but it's a really good virtual course.

2020-07-23 7:30 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by sappho96

And ewww. 

That's true in theory, but I think both Gretchen and I have almost fallen off the trainer.  LOL

I have fallen off twice! Thinking that is less scary then toppling over going up a mountain though!!

2020-07-23 10:19 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, the bits of dead people got me. That sounds horrible. But it was a good thought to get a bike ride in, and it's always the thought that counts, right? At least you tried! Now you can justify those drinks after work...haha

Mike, cool new photo! Took me a minute to figure out who this new avatar was!

I have been a bum this week. I've not been getting a lot of sleep or eating well. Need to get back into my routine. Gonna try to reset this weekend.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 5715 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123