General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie looking to complete a sprint tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-12-06 2:34 PM

Subject: Newbie looking to complete a sprint tri
Hi all! Just created my account here. Thinking of signing up for a sprint this spring or summer, and I wanted to say hello.

I'm 41 and far from a couch potato, but totally new to triathlons. I did a lot of endurance cycling when I was younger (biggest accomplishment was a ride from Fairbanks to Anchorage in 6 days), but a desk job and a bunch of weight gain in my late 20s and 30s left me pretty sedentary and out of shape. Most of the extra weight is gone now-- yay!-- and I've rediscovered my love of all things active.

Over the past few years I've been dabbling in all kinds of active hobbies, but now I'm wanting to focus a bit and work towards a goal. I always thought a triathlon was off the table for me since I've never been a runner, but I started C25K a couple months ago and loved it! Sadly, some knee tendinitis interrupted my progress, but my physical therapist has given me the go-ahead to start running again, and she supports my goal of working up to a sprint tri. I'm doing some lifting for rehab and injury prevention, and planning to get back into running gradually to avoid future problems. Also spending some time on the bike (<3 my Wahoo + Zwift) and in the pool of course, and I'm hoping to sign up for a mentor program if they run again in 2020. I think my biggest hurdle is going to be confidence, so any encouraging words would be very welcome.

Thanks for reading, and for creating such a supportive community for us newbies!

2019-12-06 5:53 PM
in reply to: stephjbee

Subject: RE: Newbie looking to complete a sprint tri
Welcome. A sprint is a great place to start. Sounds like you are addressing the prevention of injuries, so have fun. I was so proud when I crossed the finish line of my first tri...a sprint.
2019-12-10 1:38 PM
in reply to: #5264551

User image

Welcome!

Triathlon is a rewarding sport, jump in with both feet and you’ll be hooked. Don’t think you have to have it all figured out before your first race. Find a sprint and go have fun! Good luck, folks here are nice and supportive. Ask any questions you have and people will try their best to help you out.
2019-12-10 2:34 PM
in reply to: Parkland

Thanks to both of you for the welcome and the kind words. Glad I stumbled on this site & the forums. Seems like a lot of good info (and good people) here.
2019-12-17 11:08 AM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Hi there! 

Congrats on the weightloss!! I'm in the middle of my weightloss journey, with 105 lbs to date. I have another ~70 lbs to go. My current goal is to do my first multi-event race summer 2020, a sprint aquabike. 

So good luck with the training and I would love to hear how it is going! 

Tom

2019-12-19 2:24 PM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

Thanks Tom! Congrats to you too-- 105lbs down is impressive! Aquabikes seem fun and I may go that route too if the running doesn't work out for me. Do you think you'll work towards a tri at some point?

For me, I'm not following an official training plan at the moment, mostly just keeping up on my biking while working to improve my running and swimming. But I'll be joining a tri club in January and looking to start something a bit more structured after that.

Good luck with your training!

2019-12-21 11:55 AM

User image

Originally posted by stephjbee

Hi all! Just created my account here. Thinking of signing up for a sprint this spring or summer, and I wanted to say hello.

I'm 41 and far from a couch potato, but totally new to triathlons. I did a lot of endurance cycling when I was younger (biggest accomplishment was a ride from Fairbanks to Anchorage in 6 days), but a desk job and a bunch of weight gain in my late 20s and 30s left me pretty sedentary and out of shape. Most of the extra weight is gone now-- yay!-- and I've rediscovered my love of all things active.

Over the past few years I've been dabbling in all kinds of active hobbies, but now I'm wanting to focus a bit and work towards a goal. I always thought a triathlon was off the table for me since I've never been a runner, but I started C25K a couple months ago and loved it! Sadly, some knee tendinitis interrupted my progress, but my physical therapist has given me the go-ahead to start running again, and she supports my goal of working up to a sprint tri. I'm doing some lifting for rehab and injury prevention, and planning to get back into running gradually to avoid future problems. Also spending some time on the bike (<3 my Wahoo + Zwift) and in the pool of course, and I'm hoping to sign up for a mentor program if they run again in 2020. I think my biggest hurdle is going to be confidence, so any encouraging words would be very welcome.

Thanks for reading, and for creating such a supportive community for us newbies!

Welcome!

I don't think anyone is really "ready" for their first tri. Your first goal should be to finish, and close second should be to have fun.

You don't mention your swimming experience, if you're new to swimming I'd make that my focus. It can take some time to build up the skills & confidence.

When the mentor program starts up, the Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society if friendly. Beer is encouraged, but not necessary. Just saying. =)
2019-12-30 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The Manatees would be happy to have you join our mentor group this year. While we love our current Manatees, we'd also like to grow the group a bit.  New members and prior Manatees are welcome to join us at https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

2019-12-30 12:48 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Thank you Janyne and Riles for the mentor group suggestions! I will check them both out.

Re: my swimming experience, I learned as a kid and swam a lot when I was younger, but less so as an adult. I feel pretty comfortable in the water but am not especially fast. I've watched some videos on freestyle technique and that was really helpful-- I can do about 1000y at a 2:45 pace, or 750y at 2:30. I know swimming is mostly technique so I am planning to find a swim coach or possibly join a masters class, plus get some OWS experience of course. Open to any other suggestions as well!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie looking to complete a sprint tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hello from a Tri-Newbie

Started by Fly4aTriGuy
Views: 746 Posts: 4

2019-03-26 1:57 PM rrrunner

Newbie for tri

Started by kitarto
Views: 472 Posts: 2

2019-01-25 9:51 AM 2NewKnees

Started by Aleuclid
Views: 373 Posts: 2

2018-12-28 8:48 AM melbo55