Orlando, Florida
United States
Central Florida Sports Commision
Total Time = 1h 25m 28s
Overall Rank = 274/368
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/16
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bagel and some pretzels and a bar. Picked up my sister then drove to the site, unloaded, set up and found our friends.
Event warmup:

Walked down to the water to figure out the course. Checked out the bike in/out which was tricky. Helped sister move to another rack (she was on the wrong one) at the last minute. Laughed at my friends husbands setup (doing the tri on a drunken dare) - beach bike with basket and 2litre diet coke in it. Said oh my gosh that's purple caps and ran over to the start.
Swim
  • 10m 31s
  • 481 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Our wave was M+W 40-49, pretty big group of folks. I tried for the outside but got into a lot of weeds and never found my groove. Had to keep pulling weeds off my arms and face and avoiding big slow guys doing WIDE breaststroke.
What would you do differently?:

Push harder, pick a better line.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Got shoes and gear on pretty quickly, the bike out was a long hairpin thing with a narrow chute for the mount, then an immediate hard left up a hill to the course. Glad I reviewed it before the race.

Same stuff, but faster
Bike
  • 32m 16s
  • 10.6 miles
  • 19.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I LOVE the bike leg. I LOVE my new bike. It did get a bit crowded out there on my second loop as all the other waves hit the course. I need to do a teeny adjustment on the bike as I had to fingle around with the gears a bit. One mistake at the finish as I herded myself into a deadend of cones and had to dismount and back out and around. But honestly that was just a few seconds as it was right before the dismount. (ok, results say 8th place on bike but 4th cumulative at this point???)

Maybe could have pushed a bit harder, but I was pretty happy with it overall.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

This one was pretty good, too, but it seems like there is a lot to do on T2. AND, I did NOT want to start the run.
Run
  • 39m 55s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 11m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Dang, I was slow. I had a hard time adjusting from bike to run. Got an abdomen tightness/cramp that had me bent over a bit for almost a mile. I was 4th in my AG after the bike, then dropped to something like 12 or 13, so that meant 8 people passed me that shouldn't have, and I watched them do it. On a short course like this I need to push harder, so what if I have nothing left in me, that's how it should be, right?

BRICK...can we all say BRICK....and maybe some more BRICK...ok, a little SPEEDWORK....
Post race
Warm down:

Drink water and eat bagel while waiting for friends and sister to run in. Then get a beer and dance to the reggae band with them. Finally find a bus and head back to the bike corral, pack up and go home to eat lunch and nap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run is too slow. My swim was not in the groove. My bike was AWESOME, and the Ts were adequate. So focus for next month is BRICK and SPEED in running. The swim will take care of itself when I get in salt water instead of weedy lake.

Event comments:

This race was so much fun! The post race stuff was great, and when the first two kegs of beer ran out, the owner of the restaurant tapped another for us! They had a smorgasboard of beautiful tasty fruit, bagels and cookies. The band was really good, they gave out raffle prizes and the awards were so cute, I wish I had won one. The water company was the sponsor, so they were made of PVD elbows. Not to mention how FUN it is to do a race with friends instead of alone. I LOVE it!!!

Last updated: 2006-08-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:31 | 481 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 79/368
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Kind of a squishy rectangle or trapezoid. Bouys to the right, exit a short distance from entrance.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:16 | 10.6 miles | 19.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/16
Overall: 50/368
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 2 laps of a big rectangle with a few extra turns in there. City streets with gobs of volunteers and police at all the intersections. Kept me busy as I try to thank all of them, but only on the first lap
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:55 | 03.5 miles | 11m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/16
Overall: 105/368
Performance: Average
Course: Around half the lake on a path, then onto city streets of various condition and material as we headed downtown on a point-to-point course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-21 6:18 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Subject: OUC - Downtown Orlando Triathlon

2006-09-21 12:13 PM
in reply to: #547545

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: OUC - Downtown Orlando Triathlon

Hey Ann,

Great race report.  It sounds like you had a lot of fun.  That was a great bike time and like you told me, "We're distance runners, not sprinters."  I like the description of you're friend's husband's bike.  That would make for a great picture, seeing that bike in the transition area.  Congratulations on the race.

Ernie

2006-09-21 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Subject: RE: OUC - Downtown Orlando Triathlon
Great race and report! You make it sound like so much fun (except of the water weeds) that maybe I'll do that one next year!
2006-09-22 10:24 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » OUC - Downtown Orlando Triathlon Rss Feed