BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-08-05 2:23 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Hot Runner Wow--when was that scheduled for? I am guessing that after 2020, IM Corp. will be in serious financial doo-doo, if not bankrupt. Hate to be a Debbie Downer too, but I'm a realist. Even if Covid is under control, and that's a very, very big if, especially for those of us here in the US, I would not be at all surprised if it goes under and, at least for a few years, 70.3 Worlds and Kona are no longer a thing, until/unless some other organizer picks up. And if Covid is not very well under control worldwide, I think life as we knew it, with big races and frequent travel, will simply not exist. Not signing up for anything in 2021 at this time.

Same. I still plan to re-evaluate in February and select a direction for my 2021 season. Right now, I am happy with being on bike-focus with a bit of running. My not so secret meetup plan is some kind of bike (gravel?) meetup.  Surely we can get 6-10 people together a year from now!

I would be up for a gravel bike meetup!

2020-08-05 5:15 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Expert
Illinois
Almost all of our gravel events have been cancelled or postponed to 2021, which is completely understandable. Next weekend would have been SBT Gravel in Steamboat Springs, CO. My husband and two of our friends who were signed up decided to make the best of it and have a bike-cation and ride the route. We're heading out on Friday and spending a week there, taking both road and gravel bikes. I'm starting to think we might have more fun than if we actually participated in an organized event.

One of our favorite events that was cancelled this year is the Tour of Hermann, in Missouri. We decided to do our own "tour" and have a group of about 8 headed down that way next month to ride some of the routes on the hills around the Missouri River Valley. Having something to look forward to is important, I feel like I've just been drifting along without any particular focus.
2020-08-06 6:52 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Did you see that Victoria 70.3 is canceled for 2021?

After further discussion and internal evaluation regarding the future of IRONMAN 70.3 Victoria triathlon, we have come to conclusion that we cannot viably operate the event in 2021. IRONMAN officials are working to determine options for possible future events in the region.

And there goes Memphis 70.3 2020....

we regret to advise that the inaugural St. Jude IRONMAN 70.3 Memphis triathlon cannot take place in 2020 and will now debut on October 2, 2021.

Ironman 70.3 NC last canned

With the health and safety of our community being an utmost priority, and after further evaluation with local authorities in relation to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we regret to advise that the IRONMAN 70.3 North Carolina triathlon cannot take place in 2020 and will return on October 23, 2021.

2020-08-06 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

After further discussion and internal evaluation regarding the future of IRONMAN 70.3 Victoria triathlon, we have come to conclusion that we cannot viably operate the event in 2021. IRONMAN officials are working to determine options for possible future events in the region.

we regret to advise that the inaugural St. Jude IRONMAN 70.3 Memphis triathlon cannot take place in 2020 and will now debut on October 2, 2021.

With the health and safety of our community being an utmost priority, and after further evaluation with local authorities in relation to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we regret to advise that the IRONMAN 70.3 North Carolina triathlon cannot take place in 2020 and will return on October 23, 2021.

This morning at exactly 10 I'm supposed to (try) to sign up for the Cades Cove 10 mile race which is currently scheduled for November something. It is the only race run in the smoky mountain national park and, apparently, is hard to get into.  Entry fees go to the Park. So, i will try to sign up, but firmly believe that this will simply be a donation to the Park as I am hard-pressed to believe the race will happen.  

2020-08-06 8:21 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

This morning at exactly 10 I'm supposed to (try) to sign up for the Cades Cove 10 mile race which is currently scheduled for November something. It is the only race run in the smoky mountain national park and, apparently, is hard to get into.  Entry fees go to the Park. So, i will try to sign up, but firmly believe that this will simply be a donation to the Park as I am hard-pressed to believe the race will happen.  

I understand. I have a local ride that I signed up for that's a fundraiser. It was canceled, of course, and they took the 2020 fees and used it for a donation. 2020 entrants are getting priority registration for 2021 or whenever the next event is. I was happy with that.

Back to your race -- it's in TN so it may actually happen. They are doing triathlons and running events in TN

2020-08-06 8:24 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I understand. I have a local ride that I signed up for that's a fundraiser. It was canceled, of course, and they took the 2020 fees and used it for a donation. 2020 entrants are getting priority registration for 2021 or whenever the next event is. I was happy with that.

Back to your race -- it's in TN so it may actually happen. They are doing triathlons and running events in TN

Which helps explains why TN numbers are going up! I hope by November the numbers are better. I also hope that since race is really small that it can be done safely. I'm not sold on doing it and will back out easily! 

2020-08-06 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Which helps explains why TN numbers are going up! I hope by November the numbers are better. I also hope that since race is really small that it can be done safely. I'm not sold on doing it and will back out easily! 

I hear you there.  Fingers crossed!

2020-08-06 8:36 AM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Ann Marie I did the Cades Cove race. It was great. There is no way I would do it this year unless they really change the start. There were lots and lots people all mashed together.
2020-08-06 8:47 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh Ann Marie I did the Cades Cove race. It was great. There is no way I would do it this year unless they really change the start. There were lots and lots people all mashed together.

Well, that's not something I would feel safe doing! I will still attempt to get in and keep my fingers crossed that somehow it becomes a viable thing to do.  Thanks for the 411!

2020-08-06 11:53 AM

User image

Master

Wow! I think it is the right decision, but am surprised they made it so soon. Even assuming a viable vaccine by January 2021 it will take quite some time to make it, make enough of it, and get it distributed. Too many people know the horror stories of vaccines that weren't tested fully, so, despite the fact that this vaccine (assuming there is one) will have gone through all the tests and steps considered necessary for safety, people will be hesitant to get it until others go first! Then there are the anti-vaxers who are too dumb to take anything regardless , and then on top of that you have people like my secretary who won't get it b/c she doesn't like needles   So, I think we are in for another long year. I hope i'm really wrong though! 

Did you see this in The Triathlon Collective FB group? I'm guessing that British Columbia said, "Nope, not gonna do it."  As a BC resident, Kirsten may have some insight.

As we suspected:

The city or governing state agency has to pull the plug to enable Ironman to re - coop insurance on lost expenditures. If Ironman makes the call, they cannot re - coop monies spent.

Permitting is not complete for 2021 (usually starts after the race date passes for the next year), so a date cannot be published yet. By choosing a 2020 race still scheduled that will likely get canceled, you are essentially choosing it for 2021 unless by some stroke of a miracle the race gets pulled off.

Victoria 70.3 course goes through 3 municipalities and Indigenous land, so I imagine getting everyone on board in a good year is difficult.  Plus, there were swim start issues, the race moved from one end of the lake to another one year, parking was a nightmare, etc.  They probably all just decided it was too much to be worth it.  Quite frankly, I raced that course two years, and would never again. The first year was great (although it may have been before IM took it over). The next year the swim was shortened because the machine that was supposed to cut all the weeds broke down the Thursday before the race. On top of that, you had to get out on a floating dock,  which was 1. too high/had no steps 2. was super slippery. They had volunteers to help pull you out, but you were waiting 4 deep to get a hand up. Then, the bike has some very unsafe spots, cars turning right into a parking lot in front of us, etc. I swore I would never do that race again, so I am not sorry it is gone. 

2020-08-06 12:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Kirsten - good to know about the race ... sometimes i wonder about those logistics. 

All of this is making me nervous about next year - but then i also wonder if when they put them up for registration that there will be really clear travel warnings - that it's not their responsibility if there are travel restrictions for international participants.  For now, i have to assume IMMT 70.3 will be a go. 

BUT! I did hire a coach. I am way ahead of the timeline but expect to start base building in October. Initially i was going to do September but with all the stuff of my kids going back to school and daycare. I need a few weeks to see how things go and not be trying to do other things. We will just focus on keeping our bubble and contact down. 

So, for us, the plan is for in-person learning for elementary schools and the class is bubbled to itself. We've been having super low numbers for the last number of weeks. Even Toronto, a city of 3 million people has under 200 active cases as of today. Of course i am nervous about it all, but then part of me is thinking about when will it ever be good enough? I think i am going to be staying off social media/the news as it seems like many people are freaking out ... i have my own anxieties without taking on that of others- or getting into internet fights. 

Edited by juniperjen 2020-08-06 12:19 PM

2020-08-06 12:23 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Kirsten - good to know about the race ... sometimes i wonder about those logistics. 

All of this is making me nervous about next year - but then i also wonder if when they put them up they really clear travel warnings - that it's not their responsibility if there are travel restrictions for international participants. I can't really see the change in having quarantine rules for places where the rates are high. For now, i have to assume IMMT 70.3 will be a go. 

BUT! I did hire a coach. I am way ahead of the timeline but expect to start base building in October. Initially i was going to do September but with all the stuff of my kids going back to school and daycare. I need a few weeks to see how things go and not be trying to do other things. We will just focus on keeping our bubble and contact down. 

So, for us, the plan is for in-person learning for elementary schools and the class is bubbled to itself. We've been having super low numbers for the last number of weeks. Even Toronto, a city of 3 million people has under 200 active cases as of today. Of course i am nervous about it all, but then part of me is thinking about when will it ever be good enough? I think i am going to be staying off social media/the news as it seems like many people are freaking out ... i have my own anxieties without taking on that of others- or getting into internet fights. 

Congratulations on both hiring a coach and on your city's success in pulling together to knock back the virus.

2020-08-06 2:13 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Trash TV confession time

I'm probably late to the party but... I have started to watch the series Alone.  We started with season 6 because it's on Netflix.  After watching all of that, we went back to Season 1 (I heard something about a revenge season so I didn't want to skip around too much) last night.

In the event that you not familiar with it -- 10 people are dropped off in a remote location. They are all separated.  They have 10 things with them that they selected from a list - think flint, hatchet, knife -- and some gear that appears to have been provided for them like a tarp.  Whoever lasts the longest, gets half a million dollars.

2020-08-06 7:32 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Trash TV confession time

I'm probably late to the party but... I have started to watch the series Alone.  We started with season 6 because it's on Netflix.  After watching all of that, we went back to Season 1 (I heard something about a revenge season so I didn't want to skip around too much) last night.

In the event that you not familiar with it -- 10 people are dropped off in a remote location. They are all separated.  They have 10 things with them that they selected from a list - think flint, hatchet, knife -- and some gear that appears to have been provided for them like a tarp.  Whoever lasts the longest, gets half a million dollars.

Oh wow..! Sounds interesting... How did you like it?
2020-08-06 7:53 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by marysia83

Trash TV confession time

I am actually reading about it right now at Wikipedia. I jumped to the section for each contestent of each season, and reasons why and when they dropped out... Some are truly interesting! (and some are funny )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alone_(TV_series)
(spoiler alert: don't read if you don't want to know who won)
2020-08-07 8:21 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Trash TV confession time

I am actually reading about it right now at Wikipedia. I jumped to the section for each contestent of each season, and reasons why and when they dropped out... Some are truly interesting! (and some are funny ) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alone_(TV_series)(spoiler alert: don't read if you don't want to know who won)

No spoilers!  I'm enjoying it.  We make jokes about them being socially distant and also read the disclaimer outloud.  I keep on telling Kevin "do not attempt." ;-)

2020-08-07 8:57 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
2020-08-09 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Trash TV confession time

I am actually reading about it right now at Wikipedia. I jumped to the section for each contestent of each season, and reasons why and when they dropped out... Some are truly interesting! (and some are funny ) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alone_(TV_series)(spoiler alert: don't read if you don't want to know who won)

No spoilers!  I'm enjoying it.  We make jokes about them being socially distant and also read the disclaimer outloud.  I keep on telling Kevin "do not attempt." ;-)

My kid interviewed for this show, and Naked and Afraid. She go to the final for both of them, then backed out when it came time to sign the wavers. I was proud if her for both "making the cut" and her final decision
2020-08-09 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

Trash TV confession time

My kid interviewed for this show, and Naked and Afraid. She go to the final for both of them, then backed out when it came time to sign the wavers. I was proud if her for both "making the cut" and her final decision

Wow! Your daughter must be a real outdoors person!

2020-08-09 12:14 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Trash TV confession time

she is almost scary. She an bake a t3-tered, icd cake from inside a firepit. Forge tools, butcher, forage. She lived in a yurt in northern Wisconsin with no running water or hear for 2 years. She is a different sorta human.
2020-08-09 7:18 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

Master
Wow, Robin, your daughrer sounds awesome!

2020-08-09 7:21 PM
in reply to: #5271893

User image

Master
I just did my second gravel ride, both on borrowed bikes. Last weekend it was 70 km, mostly flat. Some gravel, some single track with thigh high plants/weeds on either side. Today was 70km with 1200m (~4000ft) climbing, and about 1000m was in the first 40km. Does that count as epic? It was super hard, super different and super fun! Hope y'all had great weekends.
2020-08-10 8:38 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Gravel riding just sounds like so much fun! And that's coming from someone who is still, after YEARS, terrified of road bike riding. I have no idea why my brain has decided gravel will be better. Soooo, I guess the best thing to do is maybe borrow a bike for a little ride a few times? My friend works at a bike shop and I know they have bikes for rent. Could be fun
I certainly need something to shake things up. I just have no motivation to do anything other than sleep.
2020-08-10 8:48 AM
in reply to: #5271894

User image

Master
Laura, the best part about gravel--no cars. Well, yesterday we were on forest service roads so there was some, but mostly ATV and motorbikes and they were pretty respectful. It is nice to ride without worrying about getting hit. Definitely recommend!
2020-08-10 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Trash TV confession time

she is almost scary. She an bake a t3-tered, icd cake from inside a firepit. Forge tools, butcher, forage. She lived in a yurt in northern Wisconsin with no running water or hear for 2 years. She is a different sorta human.

holy moly!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127