BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-09-08 6:27 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by Atlantia

Happy Tuesday, all! Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes for my family after the passing of tiny grandma. It was a really beautiful service and burial at Fort Barrancas, complete with a Blue Angel flyover. It was amazing to see literally everyone stop as the processional drove by. People took their hats off, everyone at the NAS saluted...it was just an amazing tribute to a woman who gave 20 years of her life as a civilian to the military.
Followed by loads of horrendous family drama, as funerals always seem to be. Good to be home, and nice to be back in the slightly more normal swing of things.
J and I are doing a self quarantine now, as that part of FL is really not following any kind of mask or social distance policy. And in some cases at the rest areas, people are purposefully flouting them. I'm still glad we chose to drive instead of fly, though.

I'm sorry about your loss. The funeral sounds amazing, what a wonderful tribute to her.

2020-09-10 6:27 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Please send Stay Safe thoughts to Karen. As of yesterday, the evacuation area is now within 10 miles of her.  She also reported that  an entire town 20 miles upriver got obliterated Monday night.  I didn't realize that the fires were that close to here.  Scary.

2020-09-10 8:08 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by jmkizer

Please send Stay Safe thoughts to Karen. As of yesterday, the evacuation area is now within 10 miles of her.  She also reported that  an entire town 20 miles upriver got obliterated Monday night.  I didn't realize that the fires were that close to here.  Scary.

that is horrific.
2020-09-10 8:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thanks everyone! Right now we are "safe" (from immediate threat of fire; the air is pretty unbreathable!). They delayed school opening for a week as the air is so bad that they couldn't finish handing out I-pads to the students (we're online through at least December), plus some staff and kids have been evacuated. Plus it's not safe for people who were planning to teach from the buildings. (Although it turns out that at most schools, including ours, the network speed is so slow we can't actually all teach from there anyway. It's gone within days from being told we have to teach from our classrooms to being encouraged to teach from home if that's possible.) I'm grateful that the school board here is being sensible, not just about Covid but the fire and internet situation.

There are fires all over Western Oregon right now and a really major one in our county, just east (up the McKenzie River) of Eugene and touching the easter edge of Springfield, our sister city. Two communities about 30 miles upriver were pretty much obliterated with several known deaths, evacuations have approached within about 15 miles, and the "be ready" zone within about 10. If anyone remembers the bridge I shared a picture of on my birthday (a 51 mile round-trip ride), that is well within yesterday's "go now" evacuation zone, and I don't know if it's still standing. At least two of our county's historic covered bridges were destroyed. My little bit of heaven here is turning into hell.

One of my colleagues barely made it out with a tiny house that he had parked on a friend's property not far from that bridge; we heard his harrowing story of the friend trying to evacuate family, pets, and horses and the two of them trying to get wheels back on the tiny house and then being stuck in traffic. It's a small town surrounded by a very rural area so most traffic wasn't cars but RV's, trucks with horse trailers, etc. OMG.

Anyway, we are fine so far; little risk of that fire spreading here as there would be two big downtowns in the way without a lot of dry timber there to burn, and winds have died down. The real danger is that someone will do something stupid, or nature would cause another fire to the south of us. We live about a mile from the edge of town (the school's out about another mile), and almost anything beyond that is steeply wooded hillside for miles and miles. Kind of a tinderbox waiting for a match.

Anyway, I'm very glad now that I invested in a treadmill last winter. Throughout Covid, my big consolation has been going outside to run, walk, etc. Today I had to settle for a VR run through a forest in New Zealand. Okay for a week or so, I guess, but I think I'd go start raving mad if that was "running" for the long haul.

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-09-10 8:40 PM
2020-09-10 8:47 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Thanks everyone! Right now we are "safe" (from immediate threat of fire; the air is pretty unbreathable!). They delayed school opening for a week as the air is so bad that they couldn't finish handing out I-pads to the students (we're online through at least December), plus some staff and kids have been evacuated. Plus it's not safe for people who were planning to teach from the buildings. (Although it turns out that at most schools, including ours, the network speed is so slow we can't actually all teach from there anyway. It's gone within days from being told we have to teach from our classrooms to being encouraged to teach from home if that's possible.) I'm grateful that the school board here is being sensible, not just about Covid but the fire and internet situation. There are fires all over Western Oregon right now and a really major one in our county, just east (up the McKenzie River) of Eugene and touching the easter edge of Springfield, our sister city. Two communities about 30 miles upriver were pretty much obliterated with several known deaths, evacuations have approached within about 15 miles, and the "be ready" zone within about 10. If anyone remembers the bridge I shared a picture of on my birthday (a 51 mile round-trip ride), that is well within yesterday's "go now" evacuation zone, and I don't know if it's still standing. At least two of our county's historic covered bridges were destroyed. My little bit of heaven here is turning into hell. One of my colleagues barely made it out with a tiny house that he had parked on a friend's property not far from that bridge; we heard his harrowing story of the friend trying to evacuate family, pets, and horses and the two of them trying to get wheels back on the tiny house and then being stuck in traffic. It's a small town surrounded by a very rural area so most traffic wasn't cars but RV's, trucks with horse trailers, etc. OMG. Anyway, we are fine so far; little risk of that fire spreading here as there would be two big downtowns in the way without a lot of dry timber there to burn, and winds have died down. The real danger is that someone will do something stupid, or nature would cause another fire to the south of us. We live about a mile from the edge of town (the school's out about another mile), and almost anything beyond that is steeply wooded hillside for miles and miles. Kind of a tinderbox waiting for a match. Anyway, I'm very glad now that I invested in a treadmill last winter. Throughout Covid, my big consolation has been going outside to run, walk, etc. Today I had to settle for a VR run through a forest in New Zealand. Okay for a week or so, I guess, but I think I'd go start raving mad if that was "running" for the long haul.

im happy to see you are as safe as possible with everything that is happening. A friend’s mother lives in that area as was evacuated earlier this week, she got to go back in yesterday to check on her house and all that was left was the chimney. The area was decimated. Such a scary thing. 2020 can’t be over soon enough!

2020-09-10 9:22 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
I'm happy to hear you are safe, please stay that way.

2020-09-11 1:14 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Hot Runner Thanks everyone! Right now we are "safe" ....(

im happy to see you are as safe as possible with everything that is happening.... 

2X

2020-09-11 9:13 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner Thanks everyone! Right now we are "safe" (from immediate threat of fire; the air is pretty unbreathable!). They delayed school opening for a week as the air is so bad that they couldn't finish handing out I-pads to the students (we're online through at least December), plus some staff and kids have been evacuated. Plus it's not safe for people who were planning to teach from the buildings. (Although it turns out that at most schools, including ours, the network speed is so slow we can't actually all teach from there anyway. It's gone within days from being told we have to teach from our classrooms to being encouraged to teach from home if that's possible.) I'm grateful that the school board here is being sensible, not just about Covid but the fire and internet situation. There are fires all over Western Oregon right now and a really major one in our county, just east (up the McKenzie River) of Eugene and touching the easter edge of Springfield, our sister city. Two communities about 30 miles upriver were pretty much obliterated with several known deaths, evacuations have approached within about 15 miles, and the "be ready" zone within about 10. If anyone remembers the bridge I shared a picture of on my birthday (a 51 mile round-trip ride), that is well within yesterday's "go now" evacuation zone, and I don't know if it's still standing. At least two of our county's historic covered bridges were destroyed. My little bit of heaven here is turning into hell. One of my colleagues barely made it out with a tiny house that he had parked on a friend's property not far from that bridge; we heard his harrowing story of the friend trying to evacuate family, pets, and horses and the two of them trying to get wheels back on the tiny house and then being stuck in traffic. It's a small town surrounded by a very rural area so most traffic wasn't cars but RV's, trucks with horse trailers, etc. OMG. Anyway, we are fine so far; little risk of that fire spreading here as there would be two big downtowns in the way without a lot of dry timber there to burn, and winds have died down. The real danger is that someone will do something stupid, or nature would cause another fire to the south of us. We live about a mile from the edge of town (the school's out about another mile), and almost anything beyond that is steeply wooded hillside for miles and miles. Kind of a tinderbox waiting for a match. Anyway, I'm very glad now that I invested in a treadmill last winter. Throughout Covid, my big consolation has been going outside to run, walk, etc. Today I had to settle for a VR run through a forest in New Zealand. Okay for a week or so, I guess, but I think I'd go start raving mad if that was "running" for the long haul.

im happy to see you are as safe as possible with everything that is happening. A friend’s mother lives in that area as was evacuated earlier this week, she got to go back in yesterday to check on her house and all that was left was the chimney. The area was decimated. Such a scary thing. 2020 can’t be over soon enough!

Karen, glad you are safe.

Ann-Marie, I had a friend who lost his home in the Camp Fire in 2018 and a student who lost their home in Santa Rosa. The trauma of fleeing the fire and then losing everything will be with my student for years. Sadly, my friend never did recover from the trauma and he passed away this past May of what we all feel was a broken heart.
2020-09-13 12:04 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
West Coast Manatees,
Stay safe!

Gulf Coast Manatees,
Stay safe!

I made the mistake of renting a MTB yesterday. Now I want another n+1.

2020-09-13 5:33 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by glfprncsWest Coast Manatees, Stay safe!Gulf Coast Manatees,Stay safe!I made the mistake of renting a MTB yesterday. Now I want another n+1.
Bike crack!
2020-09-14 3:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Mini Manatees 2.0. 

The girls did the Active Okie kids Triathlon on Saturday.  It was not a sanctioned USAT races so their year USAT membership didn't save them any money and there weren't any AG Elite teams there like they saw the previous week.  It was more of a fun event for the local kids than a competitive event for Triathlon families from near and far. 

My 10-year-old got her first podium (not that they actually did award ceremonies due to Covid-19 precautions).  She was 3 out of 12 in the F10-11 AG and 12th overall out of a little over 80 kids. 

My 9-year old, who got to complete in the 6-8 AG distance last week, was in the F8-9 AG this week.  She was happy that she was with the 8-year-olds even though she had a birthday this week.  She was 8th out of 15 in her age group. 

My 6-year-old had multiple bike technicals and a bike wreck.  Coming out of T1 there was a nice downhill section and she went faster than the training wheels were designed to travel.  There was a lot of vibration and the nut holding the training wheels came loose.  I didn't have a wrench but twisted it back on the best I could every time it came loose.  The last time it came loose was going into T2 where the course was again on that downhill section.  She was going too fast and wrecked.  She skinning her knee really bad but still finished the race for 6th out of 7 in the F6-7 AG. 

I got to help a few kids out at the race.  One was an 11-year-old boy who had his chain come off and get wedged between the frame and the gears.  I ran ahead of my daughter when I saw him stopped and was able to get the chain back on and send him on his way.  There was no way that he was going to be able to get the chain unwedged by himself and, with no SAG on the course, I saved his race and turned what would have been a negative experience into a better one. 

Also, as we waited for the swim start a family lined up behind us who were doing their first triathlon and had not had the chance to walk through the course or to get any instructions from the race staff or any questions answered.  They had no idea how the swim worked or what to do when they got out of the water (a lazy river swim), or what they needed to do in transition, etc.  I took the 8-year-old son up to the swim start and showed him how they would do things, showed what direction he would go in the lazy river, where he would get out, how he would get to the bikes, etc.  They were really happy for all the help.  After the race, I saw them and asked how it went.  They had a great race and I learned as they were leaving that they lived in the same town as we do.  I couldn't help but think that they might have been part of our kids Triathlon camp if things hadn't been canceled.  I was glad that I was able to help is a small way at the race but felt bad that we didn't get to meet that family before the race at our kids camp so that they wouldn't have got to the race so disoriented.  I also regretted that we didn't get to help more have a positive first race (since there were so few people at the race that were familiar with triathlon) and I regretted that more kids from our town didn't get to take advantage of there being a race just 50 miles from where we live to get an early introduction to the sport of Triathlon.  There have been a lot of mix emotions this year with races and with cancelations.  It will definitely be a year to remember and that I am grateful for.   

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-09-14 3:22 PM

2020-09-14 8:29 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
That sounds so cool! Those kids (your and others) were lucky to have your help and enthusiasm. Tri really wasn't a thing when I was a kid (at least not locally) but I came from a small town where there happened to be a lot of runners, and they really went out of their way to organize kids' events and welcome young athletes to their sport. They included many of my parents' friends, friends' parents, and neighbors. I'm sure it was instrumental in encouraging me into a lifetime of endurance sports!

As for tri, though, it didn't quite work like that! My first swim coach (in 1978 or 79?) was one of the early Ironman participants, and watching him train (he often swam workouts with the older kids, and I'd see him running and biking sometimes) plus the videos he showed of IM finishes (Julie Moss and the like), scared me off from the sport and convinced me that triathletes were all maniacs. I guess it was a bit much for a timid ten year old!

2020-09-15 9:07 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Mini Manatees 2.0. 

The girls did the Active Okie kids Triathlon on Saturday.  It was not a sanctioned USAT races so their year USAT membership didn't save them any money and there weren't any AG Elite teams there like they saw the previous week.  It was more of a fun event for the local kids than a competitive event for Triathlon families from near and far. 

My 10-year-old got her first podium (not that they actually did award ceremonies due to Covid-19 precautions).  She was 3 out of 12 in the F10-11 AG and 12th overall out of a little over 80 kids. 

My 9-year old, who got to complete in the 6-8 AG distance last week, was in the F8-9 AG this week.  She was happy that she was with the 8-year-olds even though she had a birthday this week.  She was 8th out of 15 in her age group. 

My 6-year-old had multiple bike technicals and a bike wreck.  Coming out of T1 there was a nice downhill section and she went faster than the training wheels were designed to travel.  There was a lot of vibration and the nut holding the training wheels came loose.  I didn't have a wrench but twisted it back on the best I could every time it came loose.  The last time it came loose was going into T2 where the course was again on that downhill section.  She was going too fast and wrecked.  She skinning her knee really bad but still finished the race for 6th out of 7 in the F6-7 AG. 

I got to help a few kids out at the race.  One was an 11-year-old boy who had his chain come off and get wedged between the frame and the gears.  I ran ahead of my daughter when I saw him stopped and was able to get the chain back on and send him on his way.  There was no way that he was going to be able to get the chain unwedged by himself and, with no SAG on the course, I saved his race and turned what would have been a negative experience into a better one. 

Also, as we waited for the swim start a family lined up behind us who were doing their first triathlon and had not had the chance to walk through the course or to get any instructions from the race staff or any questions answered.  They had no idea how the swim worked or what to do when they got out of the water (a lazy river swim), or what they needed to do in transition, etc.  I took the 8-year-old son up to the swim start and showed him how they would do things, showed what direction he would go in the lazy river, where he would get out, how he would get to the bikes, etc.  They were really happy for all the help.  After the race, I saw them and asked how it went.  They had a great race and I learned as they were leaving that they lived in the same town as we do.  I couldn't help but think that they might have been part of our kids Triathlon camp if things hadn't been canceled.  I was glad that I was able to help is a small way at the race but felt bad that we didn't get to meet that family before the race at our kids camp so that they wouldn't have got to the race so disoriented.  I also regretted that we didn't get to help more have a positive first race (since there were so few people at the race that were familiar with triathlon) and I regretted that more kids from our town didn't get to take advantage of there being a race just 50 miles from where we live to get an early introduction to the sport of Triathlon.  There have been a lot of mix emotions this year with races and with cancelations.  It will definitely be a year to remember and that I am grateful for.   

This sounds like an awesome experience, bike mechanical issues aside. I love that your youngest aged up and was excited about it!  Congrats on eldest's podium!  What a day!

2020-09-15 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner  the videos he showed of IM finishes (Julie Moss and the like), scared me off from the sport and convinced me that triathletes were all maniacs.

Same!

2020-09-15 9:24 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Hot Runner That sounds so cool! Those kids (your and others) were lucky to have your help and enthusiasm. Tri really wasn't a thing when I was a kid (at least not locally) but I came from a small town where there happened to be a lot of runners, and they really went out of their way to organize kids' events and welcome young athletes to their sport. They included many of my parents' friends, friends' parents, and neighbors. I'm sure it was instrumental in encouraging me into a lifetime of endurance sports!...

I grew up in a suburb of Salt Lake City.  So we had a big town, but there weren't any Kids Triathlons that I knew of either.  There were adult triathlons but I didn't know anyone that was in the sport and had zero contact with it.  A guy on my block, who had qualified for the USA 4x400m Olympic relay team before breaking his leg and being forced to watch his team break the world record from the stands, started a youth track team when I was about 8 years old.  Every kid on the block joined the team.  There was another youth track team in the same town but for some reason, the guy on our block didn't want his kids to be a part of that team.  So the other team had every kid in the city that was doing track on their team except for our block.  The families on our block turned out to be really talented.   The 10 families on our block put up a track team that could rival any team in the region.  I think we set about a dozen state records and half a dozen regional records. The founder of that team passed away at the beginning of this year.  I got the Youth Running Club that my wife and I started underway right before he passed away.  The club is a tribute to him.  I had great people get me started on running early in life and while I am not half as effective as they were I know how much good they can do and want to pass on what I had to the next generation.      

Originally posted by Hot Runner 

As for tri, though, it didn't quite work like that! My first swim coach (in 1978 or 79?) was one of the early Ironman participants, and watching him train (he often swam workouts with the older kids, and I'd see him running and biking so...the videos he showed of IM finishes (Julie Moss and the like), scared me off from the sport and convinced me that triathletes were all maniacs. I guess it was a bit much for a timid ten year old!

Yep....I thought triathletes were all maniacs too.  Now that I am one it doesn't bother me and I feel that if you aren't a maniac that mabey this sport isn't for you. 

2020-09-15 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Seriously, I kept expecting something like that to happen to me in my first 70.3, and then in my Ironman, and was shocked when it never did. Actually not all that common, even among the age-groupers, unless conditions are really extreme. (I have seen people simply collapse by the side of the road, probably from heat exhaustion, at SE Asia events.) For both of them, I finished pretty strong with no particular distress or need to crawl, just tired legs and very hungry for something other than gu! My coach said, "You watch too many Kona videos. They always choose the really dramatic stuff. How else are you going to convince people to watch an Ironman?!"

2020-09-15 9:31 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Karen - Are you doing OK? The fires are not any closer, are they?  Air quality?

Ann-Marie - Teddy update?

Melanie - Lake Placid update?

2020-09-15 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Teddy is doing well thanks. It’s amazing how quickly dogs heal from things that would take us so much longer! He is, however, on tree climbing restriction

2020-09-15 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Teddy is doing well thanks. It’s amazing how quickly dogs heal from things that would take us so much longer! He is, however, on tree climbing restriction

Now that we know that he's OK, I want a picture of him up there!

2020-09-15 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Now that we know that he's OK, I want a picture of him up there!

i wish I had a picture. Damn dog!

2020-09-15 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Fires are not currently moving in our direction. Air quality....well, basically, no air and no quality. Currently some of the worst in the world, and it's actually better than a few days ago. (We are moving around between "unhealthy", "very unhealthy" and "hazardous". Not sure if others are familiar with AQI (300+ is "hazardous", as in even healthy people should try to stay completely indoors), and we have been in the 400's and 500's on some days, currently between about 260-350. One day last week Cottage Grove (where I do most of my open-water swimming and outdoor biking) was in the 800's. OMG. I'm pretty sensitive to smoke (asthma) so can really only handle quick errands like to the store and getting mail, with a mask. Was up at school for a few hours yesterday (moving stuff back from my classroom so I can teach from home) and felt like I'd smoked a couple of packs (not that I ever have, but guessing it feels like that--you can taste the smoke in your throat and lungs) for a few hours after.

All "training" is now indoors, for the indefinite future. No substantial change expected until we get a good rain, not sure when. Our climate is different than the rest of the US. Really just two seasons, dry (summer/fall) and wet (winter/spring). At this time of the year, it's hard to say. Sometimes we get regular rain starting in mid-September, other years not till late October or even November. Arrrrgh!

2020-09-15 2:29 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Fires are not currently moving in our direction. Air quality....well, basically, no air and no quality. Currently some of the worst in the world, and it's actually better than a few days ago. (We are moving around between "unhealthy", "very unhealthy" and "hazardous". Not sure if others are familiar with AQI (300+ is "hazardous", as in even healthy people should try to stay completely indoors), and we have been in the 400's and 500's on some days, currently between about 260-350. One day last week Cottage Grove (where I do most of my open-water swimming and outdoor biking) was in the 800's. OMG. I'm pretty sensitive to smoke (asthma) so can really only handle quick errands like to the store and getting mail, with a mask. Was up at school for a few hours yesterday (moving stuff back from my classroom so I can teach from home) and felt like I'd smoked a couple of packs (not that I ever have, but guessing it feels like that--you can taste the smoke in your throat and lungs) for a few hours after. All "training" is now indoors, for the indefinite future. No substantial change expected until we get a good rain, not sure when. Our climate is different than the rest of the US. Really just two seasons, dry (summer/fall) and wet (winter/spring). At this time of the year, it's hard to say. Sometimes we get regular rain starting in mid-September, other years not till late October or even November. Arrrrgh!

I hope that the weather does something favorable for you sooner rather than later.

We're all thinking of you!

2020-09-16 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Strava peeps -- what do we think of Bandok names? 

https://bandok.com/

Put an end to boring- ride names and give your rides the names they deserve.

Fun or lame?

2020-09-16 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Fun or lame?

My first reaction was more towards the lame side, but i suppose i should see some examples before coming firmly down on that position! 

2020-09-16 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Fun or lame?

My first reaction was more towards the lame side, but i suppose i should see some examples before coming firmly down on that position! 

I'll try it and then we can review it. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127