BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-09-16 9:45 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Strava peeps -- what do we think of Bandok names? 

https://bandok.com/

Put an end to boring- ride names and give your rides the names they deserve.

Fun or lame?

My first reaction was more towards the lame side, but i suppose i should see some examples before coming firmly down on that position! 

I'll try it and then we can review it. 

okie dokie!

2020-09-16 12:00 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Fires are not currently moving in our direction. Air quality....well, basically, no air and no quality. Currently some of the worst in the world, and it's actually better than a few days ago. (We are moving around between "unhealthy", "very unhealthy" and "hazardous". Not sure if others are familiar with AQI (300+ is "hazardous", as in even healthy people should try to stay completely indoors), and we have been in the 400's and 500's on some days, currently between about 260-350. One day last week Cottage Grove (where I do most of my open-water swimming and outdoor biking) was in the 800's. OMG. I'm pretty sensitive to smoke (asthma) so can really only handle quick errands like to the store and getting mail, with a mask. Was up at school for a few hours yesterday (moving stuff back from my classroom so I can teach from home) and felt like I'd smoked a couple of packs (not that I ever have, but guessing it feels like that--you can taste the smoke in your throat and lungs) for a few hours after.

All "training" is now indoors, for the indefinite future. No substantial change expected until we get a good rain, not sure when. Our climate is different than the rest of the US. Really just two seasons, dry (summer/fall) and wet (winter/spring). At this time of the year, it's hard to say. Sometimes we get regular rain starting in mid-September, other years not till late October or even November. Arrrrgh!

Still so scary! Stay safe!
2020-09-16 2:20 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pennsylvania

Glad our manatees near the hurricane and the fires are safe so far, I hope that continues.

LP update:  My word how I love that place!  It took me longer than usual to settle into the 'zen' that I typically quickly fall into as soon as we get into the area, but eventually I got there.  I took two very nice bike rides (riding there is second to none), two great swims (swimming in Mirror Lake is second to none), and one lovely trail run in while we were there.  I even decided to take my wetsuit off to test how cold the water was in just a swimsuit.  The initial shock of going from toasty wettie to bare skin in water was a bit brisk, but I was able to swim about 300 yards sans wettie before I got out. Water temp 66*F.

My husband had been registered to do the 70.3 but of course it was cancelled, but he wanted to do the distance anyway.  Saturday was the better weather day, so he attempted the swim but punked out after less than 5 minutes (he is not the most confident swimmer especially alone in open water).  We went back to the house to change and head out on the bike.  My pal LT rode with him and I was the support crew, taking them food/water/change of clothes around halfway.  They got back to the house and EFP headed out on the run while LT went back out on the bike to ride the course backwards (she's training for a long, hilly ride in Oct).  I was summoned to bring anti-cramping supplies about halfway through his run, so I took tonic water, dill pickles, and more hydration.  Eventually he made it back to the house with 70.3 on his watch, so I presented him with the medal I had made for him.

The town is taking COVID very seriously.  Masking mandatory (and everyone complied in stores, most complied in the streets), distancing and occupancy limits taken seriously, sanitizing taken seriously.  I commended my little bookstore I love on their sanitization/safety policies and the lady said, "We cannot afford to be shut down again."  I get it.  The town relies heavily on tourism and needs to do all they can to stay open and operating in a mostly-normal way.

The dogs were very well behaved and enjoyed exploring the yard and neighborhood.  We didn't take them for their usual easy hikes because of weather and they are considerably older than the last time we were there, not sure if they'd have been able to go far without getting sore or tired.  As always, I was very sad to leave.

2020-09-16 2:26 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Glad our manatees near the hurricane and the fires are safe so far, I hope that continues.

LP update:  My word how I love that place!  It took me longer than usual to settle into the 'zen' that I typically quickly fall into as soon as we get into the area, but eventually I got there.  I took two very nice bike rides (riding there is second to none), two great swims (swimming in Mirror Lake is second to none), and one lovely trail run in while we were there.  I even decided to take my wetsuit off to test how cold the water was in just a swimsuit.  The initial shock of going from toasty wettie to bare skin in water was a bit brisk, but I was able to swim about 300 yards sans wettie before I got out. Water temp 66*F.

My husband had been registered to do the 70.3 but of course it was cancelled, but he wanted to do the distance anyway.  Saturday was the better weather day, so he attempted the swim but punked out after less than 5 minutes (he is not the most confident swimmer especially alone in open water).  We went back to the house to change and head out on the bike.  My pal LT rode with him and I was the support crew, taking them food/water/change of clothes around halfway.  They got back to the house and EFP headed out on the run while LT went back out on the bike to ride the course backwards (she's training for a long, hilly ride in Oct).  I was summoned to bring anti-cramping supplies about halfway through his run, so I took tonic water, dill pickles, and more hydration.  Eventually he made it back to the house with 70.3 on his watch, so I presented him with the medal I had made for him.

The town is taking COVID very seriously.  Masking mandatory (and everyone complied in stores, most complied in the streets), distancing and occupancy limits taken seriously, sanitizing taken seriously.  I commended my little bookstore I love on their sanitization/safety policies and the lady said, "We cannot afford to be shut down again."  I get it.  The town relies heavily on tourism and needs to do all they can to stay open and operating in a mostly-normal way.

The dogs were very well behaved and enjoyed exploring the yard and neighborhood.  We didn't take them for their usual easy hikes because of weather and they are considerably older than the last time we were there, not sure if they'd have been able to go far without getting sore or tired.  As always, I was very sad to leave.

That is so awesome! I'm glad that you were able to make the trip and that Eddie got his 70.3 on!

2020-09-16 5:08 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Glad you were able to spend time in your happy place. You almost make me want to do LP!  Congrats to your husband - even if he did "punk out" on the swim!!

2020-09-17 3:50 PM

I finally got back to the pool today. First time in about 6 months. They opened it recently but it's pretty limited. You have to book a day ahead of time. You are assigned a lane at the top of the hour and you get 45 mins to swim. Show up in suit, but then you do get access to locker room when you leave to change out. I think they had 6 lanes set up, but only me and one other lap swimmer were there. It was like having a nearly private pool. Super awesome. I eeked out 5 sets of 100 yards, with easy laps in between. Time to start building base again.

With the kids doing school at home, it's been tough to find evening time to bike as well. But I've had more blocks during the day at work available, so I brought my bike and trainer to work now as well.

2020-09-17 8:00 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Melanie - I'm glad you all had a blast in LP. I know how much you enjoy it there.

Janyne - I've been renaming Strava stuff for years. It is the ONLY way to log your Strava stuff

2020-09-18 8:02 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Update from Oregon: It FINALLY rained! Almost 2 inches in 24 hours. Woke up to air I could actually breathe and when I got a break at "work" (parent conferences over Zoom and phone) today I went for a run. It started raining again and I ended up doing the last 20 minutes in a downpour with periodic thunder but whatever--it was heavenly to get outside and breathe fresh air. Wet fir trees never smelled so good. I have not been outside for more than a few minutes' walk across parking lot or to check the mail since Labor Day. OMG.

Most of the fires are still not contained, so our air will probably not get back to consistently normal for a while, but hoping things stay good enough to get in some more outside time.
2020-09-18 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Update from Oregon: It FINALLY rained! Almost 2 inches in 24 hours. Woke up to air I could actually breathe and when I got a break at "work" (parent conferences over Zoom and phone) today I went for a run. It started raining again and I ended up doing the last 20 minutes in a downpour with periodic thunder but whatever--it was heavenly to get outside and breathe fresh air. Wet fir trees never smelled so good. I have not been outside for more than a few minutes' walk across parking lot or to check the mail since Labor Day. OMG. Most of the fires are still not contained, so our air will probably not get back to consistently normal for a while, but hoping things stay good enough to get in some more outside time.

Great news about the rain!

2020-09-19 12:04 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Update from Oregon: It FINALLY rained! Almost 2 inches in 24 hours. Woke up to air I could actually breathe and when I got a break at "work" (parent conferences over Zoom and phone) today I went for a run. It started raining again and I ended up doing the last 20 minutes in a downpour with periodic thunder but whatever--it was heavenly to get outside and breathe fresh air. Wet fir trees never smelled so good. I have not been outside for more than a few minutes' walk across parking lot or to check the mail since Labor Day. OMG.

Most of the fires are still not contained, so our air will probably not get back to consistently normal for a while, but hoping things stay good enough to get in some more outside time.

Glad to hear you got some relief. Stay safe.
2020-09-20 8:29 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
I have something to look forward to. I've signed up for IM Tulsa on May 23rd 2021!

2020-09-21 9:30 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella I have something to look forward to. I've signed up for IM Tulsa on May 23rd 2021!

Wow!  It is so vital to have something to look forward to these days of limited activities.  "Livin' on Tulsa time, livin' on Tulsa time..."  Now I have the song stuck in my head and maybe you do, too. 

2020-09-21 9:31 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner Update from Oregon: It FINALLY rained! Almost 2 inches in 24 hours. Woke up to air I could actually breathe and when I got a break at "work" (parent conferences over Zoom and phone) today I went for a run. It started raining again and I ended up doing the last 20 minutes in a downpour with periodic thunder but whatever--it was heavenly to get outside and breathe fresh air. Wet fir trees never smelled so good. I have not been outside for more than a few minutes' walk across parking lot or to check the mail since Labor Day. OMG. Most of the fires are still not contained, so our air will probably not get back to consistently normal for a while, but hoping things stay good enough to get in some more outside time.

How wonderful to get some clean-ish air and outside time.  I hope the fires are soon out so you can resume outdoor activities.

2020-09-21 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella
Glad to hear you got some relief. Stay safe.

x2!

2020-09-21 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I have something to look forward to. I've signed up for IM Tulsa on May 23rd 2021!

Woo Hoo!

2020-09-21 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Did your finger slip?!

Seriously, though, congratulations!

2020-09-21 7:46 PM

User image

Expert

Wow!  It is so vital to have something to look forward to these days of limited activities.  "Livin' on Tulsa time, livin' on Tulsa time..."  Now I have the song stuck in my head and maybe you do, too. 

Nooooo. You have me singing it in my head.
2020-09-21 8:03 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Fires are still not completely contained (or even close) but they are making progress. We're in better shape here than California due to our cooler, wetter climate, I think. Another few days of rain forecast for later in the week. I've been able to run outside twice since last Friday. Sometimes the air is a bit questionable in the morning--smoke joins the usual valley fog and hangs around for a while--but it's been clearing up later on. AQI was only 15 this afternoon.

First day of online "school" this morning. Those poor kids! Most mentioned the fires and resulting indoor confinement (which robbed them of their last week of summer vacation) as the worst part of the summer. And one kid actually asked me at the end if I had the AQI app on my phone because she wanted to know if was safe to go play in her treehouse. I teach Grade 3.....Not sure about others but worrying about pandemics or AQI was never a part of my childhood!
2020-09-22 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Fires are still not completely contained (or even close) but they are making progress. We're in better shape here than California due to our cooler, wetter climate, I think. Another few days of rain forecast for later in the week. I've been able to run outside twice since last Friday. Sometimes the air is a bit questionable in the morning--smoke joins the usual valley fog and hangs around for a while--but it's been clearing up later on. AQI was only 15 this afternoon. First day of online "school" this morning. Those poor kids! Most mentioned the fires and resulting indoor confinement (which robbed them of their last week of summer vacation) as the worst part of the summer. And one kid actually asked me at the end if I had the AQI app on my phone because she wanted to know if was safe to go play in her treehouse. I teach Grade 3.....Not sure about others but worrying about pandemics or AQI was never a part of my childhood!

I'm glad that they are making progress on containing the fires. I'm sorry to hear what slow going it is.  Thinking of you!

2020-09-22 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner Fires are still not completely contained (or even close) but they are making progress. We're in better shape here than California due to our cooler, wetter climate, I think. Another few days of rain forecast for later in the week. I've been able to run outside twice since last Friday. Sometimes the air is a bit questionable in the morning--smoke joins the usual valley fog and hangs around for a while--but it's been clearing up later on. AQI was only 15 this afternoon. First day of online "school" this morning. Those poor kids! Most mentioned the fires and resulting indoor confinement (which robbed them of their last week of summer vacation) as the worst part of the summer. And one kid actually asked me at the end if I had the AQI app on my phone because she wanted to know if was safe to go play in her treehouse. I teach Grade 3.....Not sure about others but worrying about pandemics or AQI was never a part of my childhood!

Karen, I looks like things are on the upswing for you, but wow, how much further is necessary before you even get to normal?! I had enough trouble in third grade simply being a kid, I can't imagine worrying about the more adult topics. Heck, I'm not too sure many of us "adults" are coping with it well. Hang in there, and know that there are people that truly care about things getting better. Sometimes I think that is lost in all of this.  That we are all humans and as such, need to support one another for the best possible outcomes.

2020-09-22 4:32 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Karen, I looks like things are on the upswing for you, but wow, how much further is necessary before you even get to normal?! I had enough trouble in third grade simply being a kid, I can't imagine worrying about the more adult topics. Heck, I'm not too sure many of us "adults" are coping with it well. Hang in there, and know that there are people that truly care about things getting better. Sometimes I think that is lost in all of this.  That we are all humans and as such, need to support one another for the best possible outcomes.

Good point about the coping ability of adults. :-/

2020-09-22 4:33 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Fun or lame?

My first reaction was more towards the lame side, but i suppose i should see some examples before coming firmly down on that position! 

okie dokie!

Verdict: #lame #fail

2020-09-22 5:09 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Fun or lame?

okie dokie!

Good to know! 

2020-09-22 6:19 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Little SC/GA update:
1. The weather has been stunning! 70-low 80s and low humidity. This would've been Augusta 70.3 weekend and wetsuit legal & cool. Go figure.
2. I've decided to sell my TT bike. I'm not quitting triathlon, but am really enjoying being off road. The bike has enough value that if I'm gonna sell, now is the time.
3. I also bought a MTB and she's BEAUTIFUL (my husband doesn't know yet--we keep separate finances for our fun money--but I'm a little nervous to tell him for some reason. He has always worried about me getting hurt cycling. Maybe I can argue that a tree at 8 mph will do less damage than a car at 18 mph).
4. Next week is week #4 of our 1st term at school. Almost 25% done.

Happy to hear that things are improving on the west coast.
2020-09-22 8:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

Fun or lame?

okie dokie!

Good to know! 

It reminds me of those silly facebook quizzes, "How much of a whatever are you." Maybe I'm a warm water and dry white toast kind of guy and I'll keep lunch run.

Edited by JBacarella 2020-09-22 8:54 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127