BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-10-05 9:18 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by JBacarella I ran an unofficial half marathon today. A group that operates like a park run has been doing shorter runs, mostly Saturday morning 5k's. They decided to put together a half marathon. No official start. No official timer. You could walk, run or ride a bike. A couple of aid stations with water and licorice. It started at a (the) local yoga studio with a 10 minute warm up stretch. The run itself was mostly on a bike path. The course did have a couple of serious hills, including a really steep one going into the last mile. I'm not sad with my time. According to my Garmin I had my second faster half and I was sub 8 minutes on the last mile. Definitely a fun change of pace.

When I saw you had a different run route on Strava than usual I knew something was up  Congrats!

2020-10-05 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella I ran an unofficial half marathon today. A group that operates like a park run has been doing shorter runs, mostly Saturday morning 5k's. They decided to put together a half marathon. No official start. No official timer. You could walk, run or ride a bike. A couple of aid stations with water and licorice. It started at a (the) local yoga studio with a 10 minute warm up stretch. The run itself was mostly on a bike path. The course did have a couple of serious hills, including a really steep one going into the last mile. I'm not sad with my time. According to my Garmin I had my second faster half and I was sub 8 minutes on the last mile. Definitely a fun change of pace.

Nice! I'm glad that you found this. It sounds great!

2020-10-05 9:52 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by marysia83 .....I have moved to Denver area a few months ago, and we love it soo much! 

I will be moving soon.  The plant that I work at in Oklahoma announced two weeks ago that it will be closing.....

Sorry about all the relocation aspects, but I like your attitude of looking at it as new opportunities. And it is very interesting how you address the possible challenges. With Colorado at least you should not have a problem finding people to train. And places to train. Seems like you have a rich history of moving and relocating, wow! Remind me - you used to chicken breeding, with some absolutely beautiful chickens - do you still do that? I am not sure how chicken farming looks like in CO, but a friend of mine met a lady who was ordering fancy rosters for her female chickens, so I bet it's doable

Yes, I still breed chickens.  I keep a Bantam flock of chickens as a backyard hobby living in the city growing up and with the opportunity to live in smaller towns for the past 10 years I have been able to afford some small acreage in the country and get back into chickens.  We have been playing with some of the rare breeds which got me the gig of national president of a poultry breed club for an English heritage chicken that lays Blue Eggs that was imported to the USA from Europe in 2010. Below are images I made for the breed club (The land and fence in the background are my yard in Marble Falls, TX).  I made the images below for the club to use.  The hen on left and the rooster on the right.  Their blue eggs are below them

2020-10-05 10:01 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by jmkizer

Brooks runners -- I just ordered some closeout Ghost 12's from Running Warehouse for $99.88 (from $130).  They seemed to have a decent amount of stock.

I got a pair of 13s and I love them more than my 12s Guess they're getting more money outta me. again :D
Good to know.  For I think the first time ever, I felt I needed to break in my 12s.  As in I'd get weird shin pain (most common complaint) or my feet would fall asleep in a relatively short amount of time.  I'd have to keep stopping to stretch out my calves.  And this is while in a consistent run cycle, not like I was starting again after stopping.  After a lot of short runs in the 12s, I would finally be OK to wear them longer.  Never had that problem with Ghosts before.

I did 30 minutes in my new Cloudflow this morning.  They were $139.99 before my $42.00 Voucher (ask me if you need a voucher).  I have never ran in On Cloud shoes before today.  I can't really judge them by a 30-minute run but there were not hot spots or rubbing which is a good sign.  Once I have 100 miles on them I will know how they are doing and by 500 miles I will know how durable they are.  It is always fun to try something new.    

2020-10-05 10:43 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Agree! sounds like a good time had by all! 

2020-10-05 12:26 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by JBacarella

I ran an unofficial half marathon today. A group that operates like a park run has been doing shorter runs, mostly Saturday morning 5k's. They decided to put together a half marathon. No official start. No official timer. You could walk, run or ride a bike. A couple of aid stations with water and licorice. It started at a (the) local yoga studio with a 10 minute warm up stretch. The run itself was mostly on a bike path. The course did have a couple of serious hills, including a really steep one going into the last mile. I'm not sad with my time. According to my Garmin I had my second faster half and I was sub 8 minutes on the last mile. Definitely a fun change of pace.

Nice! It's always good to feel the "racing mode" - even if it's something unofficial.

2020-10-05 6:43 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by juniperjen

Agree! sounds like a good time had by all! 

My wife told me about it. She and my oldest daughter rode it.

Anne Marie: I do tend to keep some version of my Y shaped route to the lighthouse. I do love that run through the woods and along Lake Huron.
2020-10-05 6:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Has anyone heard of the new helmets specialized sells that have a gps chip and blue tooth to track your ride and it sends out and emergency text if you crash and don't respond to a message on your phone within a designated period. A friend of mine just bought one. It an email when he starts and finishes his ride and a text if he crashes.

Edited by JBacarella 2020-10-05 6:51 PM
2020-10-05 10:35 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
One of my students has four of those chickens and showed us both the chickens and the blue eggs on our Zoom call for Pet Day!
2020-10-06 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella Has anyone heard of the new helmets specialized sells that have a gps chip and blue tooth to track your ride and it sends out and emergency text if you crash and don't respond to a message on your phone within a designated period. A friend of mine just bought one. It an email when he starts and finishes his ride and a text if he crashes.

I have no info on that but I'd love his review.

2020-10-06 9:34 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella Has anyone heard of the new helmets specialized sells that have a gps chip and blue tooth to track your ride and it sends out and emergency text if you crash and don't respond to a message on your phone within a designated period. A friend of mine just bought one. It an email when he starts and finishes his ride and a text if he crashes.

x2

2020-10-06 10:40 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by marysia83 .....I have moved to Denver area a few months ago, and we love it soo much! 

I will be moving soon.  The plant that I work at in Oklahoma announced two weeks ago that it will be closing.....

Sorry about all the relocation aspects, but I like your attitude of looking at it as new opportunities. And it is very interesting how you address the possible challenges. With Colorado at least you should not have a problem finding people to train. And places to train. Seems like you have a rich history of moving and relocating, wow! Remind me - you used to chicken breeding, with some absolutely beautiful chickens - do you still do that? I am not sure how chicken farming looks like in CO, but a friend of mine met a lady who was ordering fancy rosters for her female chickens, so I bet it's doable

Yes, I still breed chickens.  I keep a Bantam flock of chickens as a backyard hobby living in the city growing up and with the opportunity to live in smaller towns for the past 10 years I have been able to afford some small acreage in the country and get back into chickens.  We have been playing with some of the rare breeds which got me the gig of national president of a poultry breed club for an English heritage chicken that lays Blue Eggs that was imported to the USA from Europe in 2010. Below are images I made for the breed club (The land and fence in the background are my yard in Marble Falls, TX).  I made the images below for the club to use.  The hen on left and the rooster on the right.  Their blue eggs are below them

They are absolutely beautiful, magnificent!
They remind me of chicken in Poland, which are so various in colors and shades. This seems like an interesting hobby. Thanks for sharing some details, and the pictures.
2020-10-06 10:42 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
I had a dream last night that there was a triathlon going on in front of my apartment building whenre I grew up in Poland. I only visited my hometown and was asked to participate. I agreed with enthusiasm, even though I had no training. There were folks from my elementary school, high school, and other from my childhood. Everything was fine until I noticed the bikes had both tires almost flat, and I was disappointed at myself that I did not checked it the day before the race. Then I was trying to pump it with this super weird car tire pump. But every time I tried to put the cap back on, the air was getting out super quickly.... Very frustrating dream!
2020-10-06 11:03 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Brooks runners -- I just ordered some closeout Ghost 12's from Running Warehouse for $99.88 (from $130).  They seemed to have a decent amount of stock.

I got a pair of 13s and I love them more than my 12s Guess they're getting more money outta me. again :D
Good to know.  For I think the first time ever, I felt I needed to break in my 12s.  As in I'd get weird shin pain (most common complaint) or my feet would fall asleep in a relatively short amount of time.  I'd have to keep stopping to stretch out my calves.  And this is while in a consistent run cycle, not like I was starting again after stopping.  After a lot of short runs in the 12s, I would finally be OK to wear them longer.  Never had that problem with Ghosts before.

I did 30 minutes in my new Cloudflow this morning.  They were $139.99 before my $42.00 Voucher (ask me if you need a voucher).  I have never ran in On Cloud shoes before today.  I can't really judge them by a 30-minute run but there were not hot spots or rubbing which is a good sign.  Once I have 100 miles on them I will know how they are doing and by 500 miles I will know how durable they are.  It is always fun to try something new.    

I have CloudFlyers. I LOVE THEM for walking around etc but I think they are too firm to run in. I actually have a brand new pair (newer year) that I need to try but haven't been running much.

What is this voucher you refer to??
2020-10-06 11:06 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

I have CloudFlyers. I LOVE THEM for walking around etc but I think they are too firm to run in. I actually have a brand new pair (newer year) that I need to try but haven't been running much. What is this voucher you refer to?? [/QUOTE

I had OnClouds that i tried using for shorter runs and while I liked them, they did not like me! So i transitioned them into dog walking and gym going shoes. Loved them for that.

2020-10-06 12:16 PM

Such a great idea. I'm sure my wife would appreciate me having one of these. I have a couple of different beacons and GPS safety devices we take when we go boating as well as hiking/hunting in back country. It looks like you can buy just the sensor and add it to your existing helmet as well.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stories/angi

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/angi-crash-sensor/p/170203?color=&...

2020-10-06 1:10 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri

Such a great idea. I'm sure my wife would appreciate me having one of these. I have a couple of different beacons and GPS safety devices we take when we go boating as well as hiking/hunting in back country. It looks like you can buy just the sensor and add it to your existing helmet as well. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stories/angihttps://www.specialized.com/us/en/angi-crash-sensor/p/170203?color=&searchText=60519-8000

This looks like a great idea for anyone who rides alone. I probably will get one. 

2020-10-06 8:34 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

Such a great idea. I'm sure my wife would appreciate me having one of these. I have a couple of different beacons and GPS safety devices we take when we go boating as well as hiking/hunting in back country. It looks like you can buy just the sensor and add it to your existing helmet as well. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stories/angihttps://www.specialized.com/us/en/angi-crash-sensor/p/170203?color=&searchText=60519-8000

This looks like a great idea for anyone who rides alone. I probably will get one. 

I will ask him to give me a review. Hopefully it doesn't include a crash test
2020-10-06 10:44 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
With my injury history, I should probably purchase one of those crash helmets for running!
2020-10-07 6:43 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Thanks! Now I know what to get Phil for xmas DONE.
2020-10-07 10:37 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Hot Runner One of my students has four of those chickens and showed us both the chickens and the blue eggs on our Zoom call for Pet Day!

Nice...we love it when the youth show their birds.  About 15 years ago they start to do "Showmanship" contest to encourage youth to show their chickens.  I will be going to a Poultry Show in November that is about 2 hours from where I live and the winner of the Junior Showmanship Contest at that show gets $150 cash. Not bad for a day of show-and-tell at the poultry show.

I pulled the trigger and registered for the Sprint Duathlon on this Saturday.  It will be a 2mi/12mi/2mi.  It is hard to believe that a year ago I had never done a Duathlon and that I didn't feel it was worth my time to travel to a race that wasn't even organized enough to have a swim.   In 2020 I have done 5 duathlons if you count my two virtual duathlons via the USAT and my homemade duathlon the day the first race that was canceled was supposed to be held.  So... this will make 6 duathlons in 2020 and my last race of the year in September of 2019 had a canceled swim due to weather so it feels more like 7 duathlons in the past year. 

2020-10-07 10:48 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Cypress, Texas

I have CloudFlyers. I LOVE THEM for walking around etc but I think they are too firm to run in. I actually have a brand new pair (newer year) that I need to try but haven't been running much. What is this voucher you refer to??

Ya...I noticed the Cloudeflow were very stiff out of the box, but after 4 miles they had broken in and softened up quote a bit.  I ran in them for another 30 minutes this morning.  I noticed that they don't fit really snug and that my feet slide around in them a bit when I go fast while doing strides. I don't think the fit will be any problem.  I will PM you with the OC voucher.  

2020-10-07 11:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

I have CloudFlyers. I LOVE THEM for walking around etc but I think they are too firm to run in. I actually have a brand new pair (newer year) that I need to try but haven't been running much. What is this voucher you refer to?? [/QUOTE

I had OnClouds that i tried using for shorter runs and while I liked them, they did not like me! So i transitioned them into dog walking and gym going shoes. Loved them for that.

Well...I now have 10km on the Cloudflow.  If I don't love them I will be back to my standby shoes in a year.  As long as these keep my knees from swelling and keep me pain-free I will run in these until the padding is all spent.  I need these to get me 500 miles of happy running.  Anything less will be a disappointment since my standby shoes can get me 550-600 miles before they are spent.  :-)  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-10-07 11:07 AM
2020-10-07 12:28 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

These gear finds and reviews are very helpful! 

2020-10-07 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner One of my students has four of those chickens and showed us both the chickens and the blue eggs on our Zoom call for Pet Day!

Nice...we love it when the youth show their birds.  About 15 years ago they start to do "Showmanship" contest to encourage youth to show their chickens.  I will be going to a Poultry Show in November that is about 2 hours from where I live and the winner of the Junior Showmanship Contest at that show gets $150 cash. Not bad for a day of show-and-tell at the poultry show.

I pulled the trigger and registered for the Sprint Duathlon on this Saturday.  It will be a 2mi/12mi/2mi.  It is hard to believe that a year ago I had never done a Duathlon and that I didn't feel it was worth my time to travel to a race that wasn't even organized enough to have a swim.   In 2020 I have done 5 duathlons if you count my two virtual duathlons via the USAT and my homemade duathlon the day the first race that was canceled was supposed to be held.  So... this will make 6 duathlons in 2020 and my last race of the year in September of 2019 had a canceled swim due to weather so it feels more like 7 duathlons in the past year.

Be careful there! Soon you'll be stalking the du rankings!

Speaking of which, Ann-Marie and Randee, were you as shocked as I was to see that the 2018 IM Chattanooga was ranked as a du???  I mean, fair enough, it's not like we got in the water.  It was just a surprise!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127